Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

FlashD wrote: »
    This is the big leagues, requires the biggest, most experienced names in the business with huge track record.

If anything it actually needs the opposite. The last thing it needs is some A-list auteur trying to make it "his" movie. It needs someone who can work with the material, just deliver the job and not let his ego get in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nolan would be more than capable of handling Star Wars, not that i'm saying he would be right or wrong choice.

If Disney are going to pump investment into one of the biggest film franchises, you can be sure that they aren't going to hire a 'nobody'.

This is the big leagues, requires the biggest, most experienced names in the business with huge track record.....not some 'no name' who had bit of a hit in the last 3 years.

Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand were hardly big name directors either, and they both got the gig of directing the sequels to the biggest movie of all time in its day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The chances of Disney hiring a big name director are slim. The Nolans and Finchers come at a price: costly budgets and complete creative control. No way Disney is handing their newly acquired franchise over to some crazy auteur they can't keep a handle on. The fact that they started talking to writers before directors is an indication of this. Besides, the prequels sucked and still made a fortune. The new films don't have to be great, they just need semi-decent, watchable even, and come in on time and on budget. Disney doesn't want another John Carter.

I think we'll see a young, talented and well-liked director (not a hack) take the helm of the first film. A Duncan Jones/Rian Johnson-type. What Peter Jackson was before LOTR. Someone the fans will trust and Disney will be able to control if problems arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I see Nolan has become the "Depp" of directors. i.e. touted for any and every cool sounding job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nolan doesn't need Star Wars at this stage. Even if offered, he wouldn't accept it. He's done with big franchises for the forseeable future IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

David Fincher?

Could take Disney as a brand in a new direction.

Places they've never seen before.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

David Fincher?

The new president of Lucasfilm, and executive producer of these future Star Wars films, has worked with Fincher, so that's part of the reason people may mention him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,290 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

David Fincher?

Star Wars Episode Se7en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »
    I like Nolan but I'd like to see him step away from big blockbuster action films and do something else, his other films like The Prestige and Memento are great, maybe a thriller like them.

!!film great, ago days of couple a again Memento watched I

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I see Nolan has become the "Depp" of directors. i.e. touted for any and every cool sounding job

Yeah, it's actually getting boring. You'd think nobody else had ever made a decent film. And while I enjoy his films, the recurrent themes and tone which characterize them seem ill-suited to a fun space adventure series like Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tumblr_mcti7jYVXe1rk5dywo1_r1_1280.gif

Just fan the old rumour flames a bit, some are wondering if mysterious Disney project "1952" - written by Damon Lindelof and to be directed by Brad Bird - might be a codename for Episode VII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Kinski wrote: »
    Just fan the old rumour flames a bit, some are wondering if mysterious Disney project "1952" - written by Damon Lindelof and to be directed by Brad Bird - might be a codename for Episode VII.

Brad Bird directing it I would be ok about. But I wouldn't be sure about anything Lindelof writes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It appears my "whoever it is they can't be any worse than Lucas" comment may have been premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Goldstein wrote: »
    It appears my "whoever it is they can't be any worse than Lucas" comment may have been premature.

I concur. When someone posted earlier that they should get Ridley Scott to direct and make the new film more Prometheus-like, I was like WTeverlovingF!!

Get a hack to screenwrite and another old fart who pissed all over his creation upon revisiting it to replace an old fart who pissed all over his creation upon revisiting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Forget Nolan forget Ridley , the two directors I could most see directing these films are Rise of the planet of the Apes Rupert Wyatt or First Classes Matthew Vaughn , the formers work with Mo Cap and Serkis would be invaluable in bringing that universe to life in a meaningful way something Lucas singularly failed to do with jar jar et al while the latters work on the x-men franchise with first class and in the fantasy realm with Stardust would stand him in good stead for the job. Both are callow enough to be willing to work within the paradigm of what George created(with the OT not the PT let me stress) but have proven themselves unwilling to compromise quality when it comes to release schedules as evidenced by their dropping out or sequels to Rise and first class respectively. Sign one of em up I say .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Forget Nolan forget Ridley , the two directors I could most see directing these films are Rise of the planet of the Apes Rupert Wyatt or First Classes Matthew Vaughn , the formers work with Mo Cap and Serkis would be invaluable in bringing that universe to life in a meaningful way something Lucas singularly failed to do with jar jar et al while the latters work on the x-men franchise with first class and in the fantasy realm with Stardust would stand him in good stead for the job. Both are callow enough to be willing to work within the paradigm of what George created(with the OT not the PT let me stress) but have proven themselves unwilling to compromise quality when it comes to release schedules as evidenced by their dropping out or sequels to Rise and first class respectively. Sign one of em up I say .

Brilliant choices especially Wyatt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

bullvine wrote: »
    Brilliant choices especially Wyatt!

Yes, Rupert Wyatt would be a great choice. And if he could get James Franco and Andy Serkis in on it too, that could make for a really good movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think we'll see a young, talented and well-liked director (not a hack) take the helm of the first film.

Michael Bay?

;)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Michael Bay?

;)

Oh, not even in jest! :p

From looking at Andy Serkis' wiki page it looks like he'll have his hands full with the Hobbit and Planet of the Apes franchises. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Another decent prospect for the directors chair would be Andrew Stanton whose already proven with his adaption of Edgar Rice Borroughs John Carter(A film I love) that he can handle the swashbuckling action serial thing. The marketing ooomph of Disney along with the name recognition of Star wars would ensure the debacle that was the John Carter marketing campaign would not be repeated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm not worried about Disney ruining the Star Wars. It had it's time and was ruined in recent years so it's almost a matter of irrelevance if it gets any worse, amn't too bothered seeing Star Wars 7 anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it into something as bland and derivative as possible to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it's all about the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm not worried about Disney ruining the Star Wars. It had it's time and was ruined in recent years

It was ruined a few minutes into Revenge Return of the Jedi, when Luke went ape on Jabba's yacht with a light-sabre...

and didn't even cut anyone! They just fell down!

We knew from Star Wars and Empire what should have happened: there should have been arms, legs, hands and heads flying all over the screen, but no, the bad guys, given a full-on strike with a light-sabre, just fell down. Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was ruined a few minutes into Revenge Return of the Jedi, when Luke went ape on Jabba's yacht with a light-sabre...

and didn't even cut anyone! They just fell down!

We knew from Star Wars and Empire what should have happened: there should have been arms, legs, hands and heads flying all over the screen, but no, the bad guys, given a full-on strike with a light-sabre, just fell down. Bah.

maybe lightsabers have different modes, like phasers in Star Trek, such as "maim" "sever" "lightly twat" "surgery mode" "lockpick" and "DIY". He didn't want to kill Jabba's guards, just make them sorry for their poor choosing of allegiance.

krudler wrote: »
    maybe lightsabers have different modes, like phasers in Star Trek, such as "maim" "sever" "lightly twat" "surgery mode" "lockpick" and "DIY". He didn't want to kill Jabba's guards, just make them sorry for their poor choosing of allegiance.

Not forgetting 'inconsistent sequel mode', much favoured by jedi who did their training over a three week period in a bog. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

disney-star-wars-films-by-how-to-be-a-dad-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

disney-star-wars-films-by-how-to-be-a-dad-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

http://collider.com/star-wars-episod...vaughn/208715/
    I’m hearing that Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, and X-Men: First Class, is in talks with Lucasfilm to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the X-Men sequel (which Bryan Singer is now directing).

Hmmmm, haven't seen Stardust or Layer Cake, but I have seen the other two and enjoyed them. Not sure if he'd be right for this franchise, but he would definitely be a pair of capable safe hands, and one who would have the confidence to helm such a major project. With the likes of Blomkamp and Duncan Jones, from the things they have said previously, I wouldn't be sure if they'd have such confidence in themselves.

Hmmmm, haven't seen Stardust or Layer Cake, but I have seen the other two and enjoyed them. Not sure if he'd be right for this franchise, but he would definitely be a pair of capable safe hands, and one who would have the confidence to helm such a major project. With the likes of Blomkamp and Duncan Jones, from the things they have said previously, I wouldn't be sure if they'd have such confidence in themselves.

I wasn't really that impressed with Kick Ass (at least not the way everyone seemed to be at the time), but I thought Stardust was probably the best fantasy movie I've seen in years. It had the right blend of humour and adventure and would be a perfect calling card for what I'd want in a potential SW directior.

He's done four films so far (i've seen all four) and I think they've all been fairly excellent from a directorial POV at least.

Not to mention he's the right age for the movie. In my own encounters I've found the most die hard SW fans are invariably guys who are now in their early forties. They are the people who were little kids when the first movie came out and seem to have been impacted greater than any other generation since. They know what a great SW movie is (or should be) better than anyone (and by that I mean they know even better than GL).

TBH I'd be delighted if Vaughn got the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He wouldn't be my first pick, but Vaughn is a solid enough choice. He's quite a versatile director. And he's shown he can work with a tight budget and schedule while still delivering the goods, making him studio-friendly, which would be very appealing to Disney after the disaster that was John Carter. However, I'm not sure he has enough geek cred to satisfy the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Would be a very good choice in my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If true, I think it's a smart choice - he's young, up & coming director with a few decent vehicles under his belt and proven track record with mid-scale blockbuster cinema. There was certainly no way Disney would have gone with another rookie ala Stanton, and I can't imagine they'd be keen to splash the cash on a marquee director.

He wouldn't be my first pick, but Vaughn is a solid enough choice. He's quite a versatile director. And he's shown he can work with a tight budget and schedule while still delivering the goods, making him studio-friendly, which would be very appealing to Disney after the disaster that was John Carter. However, I'm not sure he has enough geek cred to satisfy the fans.

Unless I'm mixed up, I thought Kick-Ass was a geek cred-accruing cult hit?:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Unless I'm mixed up, I thought Kick-Ass was a geek cred-accruing cult hit?:confused:

Not to mention making a good X-Men film for the first time in about ten years

Kick-Ass is something of a love-hate film, and X-Men First Class wasn't that good. I just think the likes of Bird, Jones, Johnson would probably prove more popular with the fans, not to say they'd necessarily make a better film though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, but this film is going to live or die on its script & cast; Lucas himself couldn't derail the original trilogy, so who directs is largely irrelevant anyway. Plus in many respects, the director is an afterthought given how much is going to be SFX work. Maybe we should be looking to who the 2nd Unit Director or SFX Lead will be instead of director? :)

Haha if true I called it four days ago ^

just call me punxsutawny phil ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Why do people think that "Dark" is a good thing?

The prequels featured a decapitation and they were absolute 5hite.

It comes from the belief that what made Empire great was that it was "dark" and that it was Kersh not Lucas who made it that way. Both of which are nonsense. Lucas never had a problem with "dark", if anything Kershner made it less dark. What made Empire great (among other things) was that it was funny, emotional, fun and dark. The prequels didn't lack darkness, but they did lack the other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

but they did lack the other things.

A decent script would've been a start...

A decent script would've been a start...

FYP

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels. I think the story in the prequels is fine. Better than fine, in fact. Lucas just needed someone to do a really good dialogue re-write. The original Star Wars actually has some excellent dialogue, but Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz wrote it all.
    LUKE
    If we don’t do something, they’re going to execute her! A minute ago you said you didn’t want to just wait here and be captured… and now all you want to do is stay.
    HAN
    Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind.
    LUKE
    But they’re going to execute her!
    HAN
    Better her than me…
    LUKE
    I’ve seen her… she’s beautiful!
    HAN
    So’s life.
    LUKE
    She’s rich.
    HAN
    So… uh… rich?
    LUKE
    Yes, powerful and rich and if we were to rescue her, the reward would be more wealth than you can imagine.
    HAN
    I don’t know… I can imagine quite a bit.
    LUKE
    You’ll get it!
    Han looks at Chewie who grunts a short grunt.

It's difficult to imagine the original film being so much fun without witty exchanges like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels.

There is nothing wrong with the dialogue in the prequels. See this gem below:pac:
    ANAKIN: Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire.

OBI-WAN: Your new Empire?

ANAKIN: Don't make me kill you.

OBI-WAN: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic ... to democracy.

ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

Sigh, I retract my above statement.

The democracy line is particular is painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the senate scenes are my favourite. the dialogue just zings, it's so snappy and witty
    AMIDALA : Honorable representatives of the Republic, distinguished
    delegates, and Your Honor Supreme Chancellor Valorum, I come to you under
    the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by force.
    Invaded...against all the laws of the Republic by the Droid Armies of the
    Trade...
    LOTT DOD : I object! There is no proof. This is incredible. We recommend a
    commision be sent to Naboo to assertain the truth.
    VALORUM : Overruled.
    LOTT DOD : Your Honor, you cannot allow us to be condemned without
    reasonable observation. It's against all the rules of procedure.

AKS MOE : The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate
    from the Trade Federation. A commision must be appointed...that is the law.
    VALORUM : The point...

PALPATINE : Enter the bureaucrats, the true rulers of the Republic, and on
    the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add. This is where Chancellor
    Valorum's strength will dissapear.
    VALORUM : The point is conceded...Section 523A take precedence here. Queen
    Amidala of the Naboo, will you defer your motion to allow a commission to
    explore the validity of your accusations?

AMIDALA : (angrily) I will not defer...I have come before you to resolve
    this attack on our sovereignty now. I was not elected to watch my people
    suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee. If this body
    is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a
    "vote of no confidence"...in Chancellor Valorum's leadership.
    VALORUM : What?...No!

Oh.

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels. I think the story in the prequels is fine. Better than fine, in fact. Lucas just needed someone to do a really good dialogue re-write. The original Star Wars actually has some excellent dialogue, but Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz wrote it all.

It's difficult to imagine the original film being so much fun without witty exchanges like this.

God no. The amount of plot holes was just absolutely horrendous.
    Very little made sense. It was convoluted and confusing and Lucas just tried to horn is as much CGI as he could to make up for it all.

• Advertisement

I can't think of one line I laughed at in TPM. AOTC had some real doozies. Obi-Wan's "You'll be the death of me" was awful, the jabbering of C3PO was just plain annoying, and the only laugh I got out if it was the 'death sticks' bit and Anakin's confession to Padme that he can't breath. Get used to it, bud...

What made Sith imo was slightly better dialogue ("How uncivilized!"), and Ian McDairmud hamming it up at the Emperor. Alas, the lightsabre fight was more or less just two blue stobe lights flashing for ten minutes. For all its faults, TPM did have a great lightsabre duel.

But yeah, the original three had much snappier dialogue.

The romantic dialogue was spot on too:
    PADME: Annie, I want to have our baby back home on Naboo. We could go to the lake country where no one would know . . . where we would be safe. I could go early-and fix up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, right by the gardens.

ANAKIN: You are so beautiful!

PADME: It's only because I'm so in love . . .

ANAKIN: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.

PADME: So love has blinded you?

ANAKIN: Well, that's not exactly what I meant . . .

PADME: But it's probably true!

They laugh. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

or how about
    I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

So snappy, so quotable. I don't know how many times I've used that line to look cool with the ladies.

The senate scenes aren't even that bad, they are just boring. It's when Lucas is trying to be witty or profound that the really bad stuff comes out. It's like nails on chalkboard. The prequels have so much going on visually and musically and are so imaginatively designed that if the dialogue was just bland and boring (like in the senate scene) I'd be fine with it. But it's very difficult to listen to that crap for two hours. It's a shame there's no isolated score on the DVD/Blu-ray.
    mathie wrote: »
    God no. The amount of plot holes was just absolutely horrendous.
    Very little made sense. It was convoluted and confusing and Lucas just tried to horn is as much CGI as he could to make up for it all.
    I agree, but I was referring to story. Plot is a separate issue. Lots of great films have lousy plots. I'm not sure the originals hold up to much scrutiny either.

The senate scenes aren't even that bad, they are just boring. It's when Lucas is trying to be witty or profound that the really bad stuff comes out. It's like nails on chalkboard. The prequels have so much going on visually and musically and are so imaginatively designed that if the dialogue was just bland and boring (like in the senate scene) I'd be fine with it. But it's very difficult to listen to that crap for two hours. It's a shame there's no isolated score on the DVD/Blu-ray.

I agree, but I was referring to story. Plot is a separate issue. Lots of great films have lousy plots. I'm not sure the originals hold up to much scrutiny either.

Please elaborate .

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

How about this peach of a line from Obi,
    first part of the video only, dont know whats going on in the rest

• Advertisement
Advertisement