Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, I am definitely following this thread and officially still training for Sub 3. I'll make a final decision on that after the Longford half next weekend.

Anyway just for everyone to keep in mind. The boards beers will be in the Oscar Wilde after the race :D

Excellent, thats the spirit. Just needed that confirmation that we are not alone! Very insecure. Ha ha.

Will pencil in those boards beers.

Good luck in Longford, need a little race myself to stretch the legs.

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Hi Eau, I was on the Line last Sunday week alright (9 days ago), trudged around a warm and humid West Cork on Sunday just gone for 20 miles.. the things we do. I'm leading out an 18 miler for the club on Sunday morning next - 7:30 pace so handy enough. If you're interested drop me a PM or text.

Only 4 weeks to the taper thank god - cmon Berliners show your colours!:cool:

Must have been your twin so, was afraid you thought I may have snobbed you.
    Sunday sounds great. I have 20 planned, well at exactly that pace. I was bored to tears and struggled Sunday just gone after a late night (no beer just a late night), so a run with the group would be a welcome change.
    Will PM you.
    Thanks

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'll most definitely be doing my best to PB in my beer consumption in The Oscar Wilde, although it will be hard to beat last year;)

Mr Stew and I are both hoping to run sub 3.30, at the moment it's looking good for one of us not me... I'll decide on my goal after the Frank Duffy 10 Miler

This is going great, you are all coming out of the woodwork!
    Hi Marthastew,

2 PB's in one day would be greedy eh? Never really feel like a beer after running but ill make a exception as we will be in an exotic location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Following a trend, Still officially training for sub 3.30, will give it a lash..

Will deffo be at the oscar Wilde afterwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Will deffo be at the oscar Wilde afterwards :)

If anybody finds a grey tracksuit top and Berlin marathon baseball cap in there could they please bring them home with them.

My friend lost his shoes but we're not sure if that was in the pub or not :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Another 3:30 attemptee here. Have hit a bit of a wall in training. Really struggling since the Waterford marathon.....every run seems like it's taking something away rather giving me improved fitness. Oh well.....here's hoping to push through and get the to the start line in semi decent shape.
    I'm in for the beer's, might just take me more than 3:30 to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Im hoping the rest of the "Berliners" are going to show some interest on here in the next few weeks.:)

I'm gonna remain in the woodwork for another week or so...:o too scared to start thinking about the race itself. Just under 6 weeks to go and taking training one week at a time.

Training is going pretty well; though I'm steering clear of finish time guessing games for another wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

claralara wrote: »
    Im hoping the rest of the "Berliners" are going to show some interest on here in the next few weeks.:)

I'm gonna remain in the woodwork for another week or so...:o too scared to start thinking about the race itself. Just under 6 weeks to go and taking training one week at a time.

Training is going pretty well; though I'm steering clear of finish time guessing games for another wee while.

Probably a wise man/woman. Less than 6 weeks to go. Training going really well for me but I woke with a heavy cold this morning. Damn! Will have to wrap myself up in cotton wool for a couple of days and hope it passes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I just received the email with the Entry confirmation to print off and bring to the expo.

Wow it's getting close :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I just received the email with the Entry confirmation to print off and bring to the expo.

Wow it's getting close :eek:

I never got that email last year, had to go to the reception in the expo with ID, i certainly wasn't the only one.

• Advertisement

I never got that email last year, had to go to the reception in the expo with ID, i certainly wasn't the only one.

Where has german efficiency gone? :)

Just got my e-mail as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm really looking forward to Berlin now... Still not sure of the target yet but likely to be sub 3.25

Geting close now folks, hope everyone's training is going well?
    I know there's not much point in thinking about the weather yet, but really hope it's not too hot....have found our 'Irish Summer' heat hard going over the last few LSR's. Anybody know what the weathers been like previously for this?

Tough week planed with final 22 miler and then into taper which I'm a little worried about, I usually struggle to strike a balance between doing too much or too little! Hopefully I can get it right this time:rolleyes:

sideswipe wrote: »
    Geting close now folks, hope everyone's training is going well?
    I know there's not much point in thinking about the weather yet, but really hope it's not too hot....have found our 'Irish Summer' heat hard going over the last few LSR's. Anybody know what the weathers been like previously for this?

Heya, the weather has I think been pretty varied. I ran it for the first time last year. It was a beautiful sunny day but, like so many marathons, the longer you were out there the hotter it got (the Africans who can actually withstand the heat are all done and dusted by mid morning when it's really warming up - ironic if you think about it)

It got up into the low 20s celsius last year - it didn't particularly bother me but it did others. There are many long straight stretches with high buildings that allow you to run on the shaded side of the street in shadow which helps - but remember the more criss-crossing you do away from the racing line the more seconds you will eat up - if time is a big factor for you.

Ouch.....
    Though I had a bit of a cramp in my left calf muscle coming on between 19&20miles of my long run yesterday. You might remember me mentioning that in passing "Rolex"!

Was hobbling around the house yesterday, not great either today. Had physio booked for tonight anyway so hopefully its just a strain and nothing more.:confused:

Ouch.....
    Though I had a bit of a cramp in my left calf muscle coming on between 19&20miles of my long run yesterday. You might remember me mentioning that in passing "Rolex"!

Was hobbling around the house yesterday, not great either today. Had physio booked for tonight anyway so hopefully its just a strain and nothing more.:confused:

Uh-oh....yeah I do. You were running fine all morning. Don't let the physio go too hard at it - stay off it as much as you can, elevate as much as you can and ice it when you get home. If you have any twinge when you try to run next rest it for 4-5 days anyway - you're in great shape and the effect of your fitness will be minimal. Give me a call on it any time if it helps. R.

Probably a wise man/woman. Less than 6 weeks to go. Training going really well for me but I woke with a heavy cold this morning. Damn! Will have to wrap myself up in cotton wool for a couple of days and hope it passes!

I'm a lady!! ;)

I can't believe I posted that 2 weeks ago. Time is well and truly flying! My training is going well and I just have to get myself to the start line in one fresh piece.

Had a hard week last week after the Longford Half Marathon. Two hard weeks now and then a 2 week taper and we're done..

My madness is already setting in. I don't think anyone is going to be able to cope with my company for the rest of the month!

Hope the calf is ok Eau Rouge - take the couple of rest days and do the RICE-ing. The majority of the hard work is done by now so don't jeopardise it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

. Anybody know what the weathers been like previously for this?

yes:

2010: rained from the Friday to the Monday. Constantly. 12c for marathon.
    2011: wall to wall sunshine from Friday to Monday. 24c for marathon.

:confused:

eliwallach wrote: »
    2010: rained from the Friday to the Monday. Constantly. 12c for marathon.
    2011: wall to wall sunshine from Friday to Monday. 24c for marathon.

:confused:

I don't know which I'd rather?! :confused:

Gimme rain over serious heat anyday :)

• Advertisement

Gimme rain over serious heat anyday :)

+1 I'd definitely take the 2010 weather over last years.

Uh-oh....yeah I do. You were running fine all morning. Don't let the physio go too hard at it - stay off it as much as you can, elevate as much as you can and ice it when you get home.. R.

Its a tear alright, albeit a small one...about 1/2 inch. What was meant to be a nice rub down at the physio to freshen up the legs, turned out to be a 40 mins of hell. Felt like a real athlete though when he hooked me up to a machine that was pulsing the muscle at the end of the session.:rolleyes:
    Sundays run is out for me im afraid. Will probably still head over for a look so might see you at the finish
    claralara wrote: »
    Hope the calf is ok Eau Rouge - take the couple of rest days and do the RICE-ing. The majority of the hard work is done by now so don't jeopardise it. :)

Thanks Claralara, going to take a few days off alright and RICE it as you say. Jesus it pity the family who have to live with me for the next couple of weeks. 2 years without so much as a niggle, now this!

Great to see that your traning in going as well as you say. Keep it up.

Its a tear alright, albeit a small one...about 1/2 inch. What was meant to be a nice rub down at the physio to freshen up the legs, turned out to be a 40 mins of hell. Felt like a real athlete though when he hooked me up to a machine that was pulsing the muscle at the end of the session.:rolleyes:
    Sundays run is out for me im afraid. Will probably still head over for a look so might see you at the finish

That's a pain in the behind A. Keep the chin up - you have the work done. A small muscle tear should be ok in plenty of time - the big challenge will be resisting the temptation to train on it too soon. I got achilles and ITB trouble 6-8 weeks before Berlin last year and thought I was done for - but minor injuries will heal pretty quickly - specially in a young fella like you! ;). Might see you Sunday

Panic over, a bloke in work gave me the name of the place in Berlin which does the best Doner Kebabs - perfect carb loading fare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Just don't eat the meat!

Anybody know if the course in Berlin is marked out in Km's & Miles or Km's only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Anybody know if the course in Berlin is marked out in Km's & Miles or Km's only?
    From memory I'm pretty sure it's just km's but I could be corrected on that.

neilc wrote: »
    From memory I'm pretty sure it's just km's but I could be corrected on that.

It's in KM for sure but there might be Mile Markers every 5 miles (or maybe I am confusing that with Berlin?).

Can we get a Roll call with Bib numbers and Goal times going? I'll start it out :D

Name - Bib - Prediction - Actual
    menoscemo -6825 - 3:04:59 -

It's in KM for sure but there might be Mile Markers every 5 miles (or maybe I am confusing that with Berlin?).

Can we get a Roll call with Bib numbers and Goal times going? I'll start it out :D

menoscemo -6825 - 3:04:59 -

May as well nail my colours to the mast......

menoscemo - 6825 - 3:04:59
    Rolex_ .........31577- 2:59:15

PS I ran it last year and I recall only km markers.

• Advertisement

Injured last week and this, only getting back into running at end of this week. So while I would love to say I will sail under 3.30, gotta be realistic and expect the lack of action for two important weeks to cost me a few minutes in last 10 miles or so...

menoscemo - 6825 - 3:04:59
    Rolex_ .........31577- 2:59:15
    Vagga .........21555 - 3.35.00

Advertisement