Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High risk stocks (Petroceltic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

bestie wrote: »
    22-Feb-11
    15:57:22
    Buy*

:eek:

Could you tell me how they confirm if it's a sell or a buy. Surely it's both - for one person to buy another has to sell?

Or do they simply mean that one person bought 2,187,800 from a wide number of sellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

turbobaby wrote: »
    Could you tell me how they confirm if it's a sell or a buy. Surely it's both - for one person to buy another has to sell?

Or do they simply mean that one person bought 2,187,800 from a wide number of sellers?

Showed up as a buy on moneyam.com (but i could be mistaken - I'm sure at that volume it would have dropped the price a bit)

if it was a buy, it's prob. from a wide number of sellers.

bestie wrote: »
    Showed up as a buy on moneyam.com (but i could be mistaken - I'm sure at that volume it would have dropped the price a bit)

if it was a buy, it's prob. from a wide number of sellers.

Good stuff, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

More than likely its a block trade. Couldn't do that much volume without a serious price move along with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Well I`ve been carping on about them since a couple of days before last Christmas, which is a big difference from when God was a boy which would be 2011 years ago.
    When I took the plunge (7 weeks ago roughly) I bought in at a cost average of 12p per share. At current SP that leaves a SP rise of just under 15% excluding what I would gain from a weaker Euro.
    And were still early in the Ain Tsila Gas field appraisal, as in there has been naff all news yet but its due any day now.

On another note has anyone done research into LIPOXEN (LPX:London)

i bought into petro ( off the back of your relentless cheerleading ) around five weeks ago , last time i checked , i was down around 17%

Terrible post in my opinion.

Nobody should come back and complain about tips on shares, if they are unwilling to do their own research.

If it's any consolation, I invested based on the AT3 results and the potential from AT4. When the results are out, the political upheaval ends, and a partner is in place to get the gas to Europe, the share price will rise. Give it time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

Agree with Turbo, never trade on tips, especially ones found on an internet forum. The person giving the tip may not truly understand how to value a stock/understand the downside risks.

If you do intend to use this forum for investment ideas, then simply use it as a starting point in which to do your own research. If someone recommends an investment, you should never take their advice at face value as the poster may have ulterior motives. Buyer beware and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i bought into petro ( off the back of your relentless cheerleading ) around five weeks ago , last time i checked , i was down around 17%

A fool and there money are easily parted Bob
    do your own research,

As stated before PCI is a punt not an investment, if you cant take the volatility of penny shares then don't buy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

irishh_bob wrote: »

well i guess you have learned two valuable lessons

1) Do your own research

2) Never shoot the messenger

Bad drop on the SP today. We need those AT4 results out fairly lively!

• Advertisement

I think the Political upheaval in Algeria is really starting to unnerve the investors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

Well the ask was at 11.25 earlier, now its at 11.75 - so a little gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

This is the very reason why I have been so tough on posts about risky investments in the past. This is beyond belief.

I have to side with Shauny on this one (but keep the smart remarks to yourself please).

In Shauny's very first post on the 20th of December, he said he didn't know much about the company. 23 days later, Irish-bobs first post on this topic was about purchasing. His next post was solely about fx exposure.

One would have to assume Irish-bob had his own knowledge on the stock. He never asked a single question about it. Later, Shauny said this was a punt (with High Risk included in the title).

The forum charter warns users about this kind of thing. Do you're own homework, no advice is given here. Only discussion about the potential of a trade or the risks.

(I've removed a number of posts to try and get the flow back)
    Finally, there's no way in hell Shauny can be blamed (other than by Gaddafi) for the fall in a MENA (Middle East North African) stock over the last couple of months. You might as well blame him for Brent spiking 15 bucks or so over the last number of days.

Give me a fcukin break!

Irish-bob, take this as a lesson and move on. If you can't do that, I suggest you seriously re-evaluate whether you want to invest your own money yourself or have it managed. You need to be able to cope with drawdowns. They happen. I'm not slating you. This is the best advice I can give and it goes to a lot of other posters on here. With the kind of crappy stocks that are posted here, someone was bound to have their fingers burned and not like it.

I'll never be able to comprehend this quick punt sh!t.

Listen Bob for what its worth I was surprised that you got such a slatting. I defiantly went too far with my comments, I think I got a bit of a sour tongue on me and I'm sorry for that and take back what I said.

I too am p1***d off at the way the SP has gone, The SP is back to where it was at the start of the year and as for making a loss or profit on the shares or any share for that matter only happens when you sell them again.
    To date I have diverted too much of my portfolio into one or two stocks and the reason being that I was too Lazy to go and research a few more which is Ironic because thats what you were getting slatted for.

OK this is my last pimp, comment,pump or whatever about of this stock so here goes

1: Its a high risk punt mainly for the fact thats the Gas find is in Algeria. If the find was off the west coast of France then we wouldn't even get a look in at the stock.

2: This find is only in appraisal so it could turn out that theres gas there but its not commercially viable

3: For me the punt is still the same, were after this gas which is about 2 billion barrels of Oil equivalent

Lets draw a line under it and move on
    Onwards and upwards form here!

Listen Bob for what its worth I was surprised that you got such a slatting. I defiantly went too far with my comments, I think I got a bit of a sour tongue on me and I'm sorry for that and take back what I said.

I too am p1***d off at the way the SP has gone, The SP is back to where it was at the start of the year and as for making a loss or profit on the shares or any share for that matter only happens when you sell them again.
    To date I have diverted too much of my portfolio into one or two stocks and the reason being that I was too Lazy to go and research a few more which is Ironic because thats what you were getting slatted for.

OK this is my last pimp, comment,pump or whatever about of this stock so here goes

1: Its a high risk punt mainly for the fact thats the Gas find is in Algeria. If the find was off the west coast of France then we wouldn't even get a look in at the stock.

2: This find is only in appraisal so it could turn out that theres gas there but its not commercially viable

3: For me the punt is still the same, were after this gas which is about 2 billion barrels of Oil equivalent

Lets draw a line under it and move on
    Onwards and upwards form here!

Good post Shauny, it's just a waiting game at the minute. If we see a price rise today (when the LSE reopens!) it may indicate the long awaited RNS on Monday/Tuesday of next week. It's my understanding that a bad news RNS is usually released on a Friday and it looks like we've dodged that today. My research of North Africa has informed me that Algeria is not as bad a case as the rest of the countries in turmoil at the moment. Reports suggest that the Algerian president is willing to meet protesters demands to save his skin.

Only small demonstrations today according to Reuters. Expect a lift to the share price on Monday from this, and with it being the final day of Feb, I am also expecting an RNS re AT4 results.

Well, the RNS finally came, and the share price drops again! Any expert opinions on the results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

PETROCELTIC INTERNATIONAL PLC
    Technical and operational update for AT-4 well testing
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Petroceltic International plc ("Petroceltic" or "the Company") the upstream oil and gas exploration and production company focussed on the Middle East, North Africa and the Mediterranean, in association with its partner Sonatrach, the Algerian National Oil & Gas Company, is pleased to announce well AT-4 on its Isarene Permit (Blocks 228 & 229a) in Algeria has successfully tested gas from two zones in the Ordovician at a maximum combined flow rate of 1.35 mmscf/d and 450 bwpd on a 48" choke.

Well AT-4, the first of the current appraisal campaign of the Ain Tsila gas discovery, was drilled to appraise the previously undrilled eastern margin of the Ain Tsila field and was located with the primary objective of maximising information about the gas-in-place rather than optimising flow rate on testing. The well encountered a gross gas column of 155 metres with no gas-water contact interpreted within two zones of the Ordovician reservoir. This gas-down-to is deeper than the gas-water contact currently interpreted in the field. Pressure data from logs and the test indicate the continuity of the Ain Tsila gas accumulation at this location and that AT-4 therefore represents a successful delineation well of the Ain Tsila field.

The AT-4 testing programme initially involved the perforation, fracture stimulation and then isolation of the lower zone with a sand plug. Following this, the upper zone was also perforated and fracture stimulated, the well cleaned out and the two zones flowed together.

The well flowed with a combined rate of 1.35 mmscf/d of gas (1593 cubic metres/hour) and 450 bwpd of water with a flowing wellhead pressure of 160 PSIG on a 48" choke. After isolation of the lower zone to reduce water production, the upper zone was flowed separately at 1 mmscf/d of gas (1180 cubic metres/hour) with an associated 250 bwpd. It is likely that the induced fractures in the well have extended below the current field gas-water contact into an underlying aquifer resulting in the volumes of produced water seen. This volume of water reduced the gas flow to rates significantly lower than anticipated from this well. Testing and sampling operations at AT-4 have been completed and the well has been suspended.

The next well in the appraisal drilling campaign, AT-5, is targeting one of several structural pop-up features in the field with the intention of carrying out multiple fracture stimulations in a horizontal well to improve productivity and ultimate recovery factor for the field. Following the successful drilling of the pilot hole, we are currently preparing to conduct logging operations prior to commencement of the horizontal section.

Brian O’Cathain, Chief Executive of Petroceltic commented:
    "The first well in the current Ain Tsila appraisal campaign has successfully confirmed the extension of the field to the East and increased the proven area and calculated gas-initially-in-place. While the volumes of produced water reduced the gas flow rate, the data gathered from AT-4 will enable us to refine our remaining drilling and testing programme in the Ain Tsila discovery in 2011 and ensure we optimise our future plans for the field."
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

And another....

Petroceltic, Sound Oil, Bellzone Mining, Rambler Metals, Ormonde Mining and others feature in Fox-Davies Capital newsflash
    8:17 am by Fox-Favies Capital

Petroceltic International (LON:PCI, 11p, ▼ (8.33%)) announced that well AT-4 on its Isarene Permit (Blocks 228 & 229a) in Algeria has successfully tested gas from two zones in the Ordovician at a maximum combined flow rate of 1.35 mmscf/d and 450 bwpd on a 48" choke. Well AT-4, the first of the current appraisal campaign of the Ain Tsila gas discovery, was drilled to appraise the previously undrilled eastern margin of the Ain Tsila field and was located with the primary objective of maximising information about the gas-in-place rather than optimising flow rate on testing. The well encountered a gross gas column of 155 metres with no gas-water contact interpreted within two zones of the Ordovician reservoir. The next well in the appraisal dril ling campaign, AT-5, is targeting one of several structural pop-up features in the field with the intention of carrying out multiple fracture stimulations in a horizontal well to improve productivity and ultimate recovery factor for the field. Following the successful drilling of the pilot hole, we are currently preparing to conduct logging operations prior to commencement of the horizontal section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

turbobaby wrote: »
    Well, the RNS finally came, and the share price drops again! Any expert opinions on the results?

It's very simple. Market sentiment and contagion fears. This is based in North Africa right? Middle East & North Africa (MENA) are risk off at the moment. Look at the Saudi Arabia index. down 5% today, was similar yesterday on unfounded rumours that protests were going on there (from Iran Press TV).

If you understand the dynamics of what is going on in MENA and think that all will be fine in this company's region, one could view this as a great time to accumulate stock. I know relatively little to have an opinion on the stock though, just that the region is High Risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

10.25 was my entry price last June! Got out at 10.5 to put it all on RRL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackelton

wrote:
    Movers: GYMBOREE CORP.,CLEAN ENERGY FUELS CORP.,SKILLSOFT PLC (S&P)
    Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure Inc.
    DJRT Im in at .05 and .07

Petroceltic (LON:PCI) (PCI, 11p, ▼ (10.20%)) signed an agreement for the transfer of operatorship of the Carisio exploration permit (Petroceltic 47.5%) to ENI S.p.A., in exchange for 550 km of existing 2D seismic data on the Ronsecco permit plus access to reprocessed 2D seismic data and other technical studies in the Carisio permit. The Carisio and Ronsecco permits are located in the Western Po Valley, Piedmont Region, approximately 30km west of the 250MMboe ENI operated Villafortuna-Trecate oil field, one of Europe's largest onshore oil fields which has existing production facilities with spare processing capacity. This acquired data will provide the basis for the planning of the material Rovasenda-1 well and the possible farm-out of part of Petroceltic's interest in the Carisio permit. It will also enable Petroceltic to assess the prospectivity in the adjacent Ronsecco permit (Petroceltic 100%, awarded 29th November 2010). Petroceltic, along with its co-venturers is now planning to drill the 270MMbbl Rovasenda exploration prospect in the first half of 2012, subject to approval by the relevant ministries and local authorities. This prospect consists of an Early Jurassic-Triassic reservoir target which is analogous to the producing reservoirs in Villafortuna-Trecate. No further seismic data acquisition is anticipated prior to the commencement of the Rovasenda-1 well. Elsewhere in Italy, activity on Petroceltic's Elsa discovery, located in the Central Adriatic B.R268.RG permit, continues to be delayed due to uncertainties in the legal interpretation of Italian Legislative Decree L.D. 128, passed into law in August 2010, which prohibits drilling in the Italian seas within 5 nautical miles of the coastline and within 12 nautical miles around the perimeter of protected Marine and Coastal Parks. This decree clearly states that it does not apply to "existing titles"; however the impact of the law on existing exploration licences is as yet unclear. In response to this uncertainty, Petroceltic has been seeking approval from the Ministry of Economic Development to suspend the licence until these interpretation issues have been clarified. On March 1st 2011, the Ministry signed the decree suspending the B.R268.RG permit. The decree will be published in the April edition of the Ministry's monthly bulletin. Petroceltic and its partners have extended existing agreements pertaining to the farm-out of this permit, with the $26M of funding, raised for the drilling of the proposed Elsa-2 appraisal well, remaining available.

At Last some very positive news which should see the SP lift from its bargain basement price!!

http://www.petroceltic.com/~/media/Files/P/Petroceltic/presentation/2011/results-of-at-5-pilot-hole-logging.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

At Last some very positive news which should see the SP lift from its bargain basement price!!

http://www.petroceltic.com/~/media/Files/P/Petroceltic/presentation/2011/results-of-at-5-pilot-hole-logging.pdf

Lets hope this is the start of the good news...would assume that is enough to secure up a farm in partner..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

The directors of Petroceltic International (AIM: PCI), Ascent Resources (AIM: AST), Caza Oil & Gas (AIM, TSX: CAZA) and Providence Resources (AIM: PVR) will be presenting:

Tuesday the 29th March 2011

The Shelbourne Hotel, 27 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, 2 Ireland

The presentations will start at 6:00pm and finish at approx 8:00pm. After the presentations are complete the directors will also be available to take questions during a free canapé and wine reception.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/register/event_details/105

Anybody heading o this? Would be more interested in Ascent Resources and Caza myself.

<Ollie> wrote: »

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/register/event_details/105

Anybody heading o this? Would be more interested in Ascent Resources and Caza myself.

Yeah hope to head along...interested in PCI.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Depends, at the moment 16p
    By the end of this Algerian appraisal campaign probably 30-40p if results are good (or 5p if not!!). That will be about it for 2011 unless they get the go ahead to recommence operations off the coast of Italy which could add a bit more to the sp

hi what is SP as above? is it this ? NYSE:XLE

When is this expected to start moving roughly?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    When is this expected to start moving roughly?

Feedback from Tuesday night is that farm out has been agreed and is awaiting sign off by Algerian authorities...BoC actually said "very soon" at one stage...this will provide impetus for share price (fingers crossed).

Other reports from Tuesday night are here...

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?page=1&ShareTicker=PCI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Since there's a recent enough topic on them, I thought I'd post this here rather than a new one.

I'm looking to put a small amount of money (€4-500) on something and thus it needs to be something with high potential, even if it's high risk. Looking at them, their prices are pretty low and I was wondering if they would thus be worth putting the money into in the hopes that, long term, there'd be a dramatic increase. I know its a gamble but I figure with the little money I'm using, I need to gamble cause "safer" investments will just eat up profits on commissions...

Since there's a recent enough topic on them, I thought I'd post this here rather than a new one.

I'm looking to put a small amount of money (€4-500) on something and thus it needs to be something with high potential, even if it's high risk. Looking at them, their prices are pretty low and I was wondering if they would thus be worth putting the money into in the hopes that, long term, there'd be a dramatic increase. I know its a gamble but I figure with the little money I'm using, I need to gamble cause "safer" investments will just eat up profits on commissions...

Another option worth looking at as well, would be the range resource thread.

Im 90% in Range and would definitely recommend them but take a look at their partners in Georgia and Puntland, Red Emperor Resources, for more risk/reward on those prospects, but then again with Range acquiring Trinidad they might be the better bet depending on your timeframes. To be honest though €400-500 isn't enough, you should save up a grand or three first while you do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

If it's high risk, high reward your after then I'd go for Red Emperor over Range Resources.

Thagor is right, €500 is really not a lot to be investing when you consider 0.5% stamp duty and commission charges. However, you can always add to a holding as you see fit and I suppose €500 may not be a lot to one person but cant be to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I notice The SP is on the move this morning, any updates out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

To all Petroceltic holders, congratulations. It was a long wait but the farm-out news is finally here -

Under the terms of the agreement ENEL has:

-- Agreed to pay up to US$ 36.75 million to Petroceltic, which equates to 24.5% of all back costs incurred from signing of the PSC in 2005 until the end of the exploration period in April 2010.

-- Committed to fund 49% of the cost of the first six appraisal wells in an enlarged Isarene appraisal campaign (including AT-4 which has been completed and the second well of the campaign, AT-5, currently drilling the horizontal section) and of a contingent additional well, which costs are capped, in aggregate, at US$ 145 million.

-- Agreed to pay Petroceltic a contingent cash consideration, up to a maximum of US $75 million, determined by the level of recoverable hydrocarbon reserves approved by the Algerian Authorities in the Final Discovery Report, which is expected to be submitted by the parties in early 2012.

SP up 15% so far :-)

Nice to see another stock I found on this forum doing well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Argh, I was waiting over the last few days to see if they'd go down a little bit before I bought in >_< Inexperience on my part I guess. Bought it pretty early this morning though so will be interested to see if they continue to rise...

Good to see that rise...was giving up hope and thinking of taking my losses..only have to worry about consolidation now...hopefully next drill results are soon...

• Advertisement

Its all about timing isn't it! , I only bought in a few days ago. The SP usually falls the day after I buy but for once it hasn't happened:D. Still though I bought in with the aim of holding for at least 18 months, my reasons being
    1: They haven't confirmed the amount of gas yet
    2; Its gonna cost a lot of money to develop the gas field which I don't think PCI can afford to do so they`ll end up with a big asset which might be easy to sell

Am I off the mark here, as in should I be taking profits sooner if available ?

Glad to see people on here getting their rewards for being patient, I sold out last July for more exciting prospects but kept an eye on it, the price seemed to be stuck 10.25p every day for a year. Anyway hope it stays rising for ye next week.

Grecco wrote: »
    Am I off the mark here, as in should I be taking profits sooner if available ?

I have been in this for two years come September...I aim to take my profits (and hopefully there will be some) sooner rather than later..I'm worried about about a possible consolidation...2 billion shares is an awful lot of shares...

Thargor wrote: »
    Glad to see people on here getting their rewards for being patient, I sold out last July for more exciting prospects but kept an eye on it, the price seemed to be stuck 10.25p every day for a year. Anyway hope it stays rising for ye next week.

That was a good strategy, i should have done the same thing...hopefully PCI will reward my patience

Goodbody have upgraded Petroceltic from Neutral to BUY with a 15p price target. The Phoenix magazine for what it is worth have put a possible price of €.60 on the stock in their current edition. They have a decent enough write-up too for anyone who doesn't know the story.

I'm still holding out for €.40 a share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 basejumper

So with the AGM scheduled for Friday 10th, what do people this might happen to PCI's share price (short, medium & long term) and it's prospects for the future? (Undoubtably good, especially if the Italian jobs hit oil, but a bit of a long drawn out end game.)

The share price has been on a bit of an up tick in the last week or so with stuff in the media no doubt, but will the real news on Friday be enough to keep it up?

And would anyone care to hazard a guess on what the impact of the proposed additional share placing might be? Thanks to all in advance.

basejumper wrote: »

And would anyone care to hazard a guess on what the impact of the proposed additional share placing might be? Thanks to all in advance.

This has already been priced into the share price so you`ll see no effect. Your right there has been upward pressure on the SP over the last few weeks, this could be due to the Arab uprising calming down, and also the 18% farmout of the Ain Tsila find which puts €100 million plus in the kitty:D.
    Currently the SP is around 11.75p which is a 14% increase month on month. I don't see this SP retreating back to the 10p mark anytime soon as were only weeks away from the AT5z results which if they are positive will send the SP much higher.
    As for Italy there is certainly good things to come there but not until 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 basejumper

Hi Grecco

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. Best of luck with your holding and to all other PCI'ers :)

basejumper

Grecco I agree about the share price it seems to have found a slightly higher support level. I expect it to trade around the 11.5p mark from now on. Once some more wells are proven it should start ticking up further. If Italy were to come back into play we could see some nice gains. I can't see that Italy moratorium dragging on for too long.

• Advertisement

Comordha that extra cash that they will get is going to make for some really interesting times as well. If they use the money wisely they could farm-in to several exploration projects within the next 12 months. then the fun should really start.
    Best of luck to all PCI`ers and hopefully patience is finally payed off.

Advertisement