Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I spent 5 hours in the library today working on an assignment, finished up at 5pm. I went to submit it online but then I couldn't find the file :confused:

I cried.

Spent ages frantically looking for it, then eventually it turned up, turns out I had two folders with the same name, and the file was only in one of them. I looked in the wrong one when I went to submit the essay.

Such a horrible feeling. Naturally, I'm consoling myself with chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Cheddar cheese and peppercorn crackers and tea = Happy Muffin.

Aldo fruit strudel in the oven now, gonna have it with some vanilla ice cream, nom.

Still upset about my nail polish though :(

Still mightily pissed off at my granny, whenever I or my mother say something joking, she gives a sneery laugh at us :mad: I am going to lose my cool with her soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Spent all last weekend inside working on a college assignmentdidn't get to bed till 5am Monday morning, back up again at 8 for work, all of Monday evening and Tuesday evening, as well as getting up at 4 this morning to finish it off, spending nearly four hours between the weekend and this morning in a rush printing and laminating the stuff - to get an email to say we have to submit it online. I had an essay due at 4.30 as well, that I ended up rushing , when I could have spent the hours I spent laminating doing that instead. Managed to get the essay in for 4.32, hope its okay.

Just got some bad news about 15 minutes ago, that has really buggered me up - head just not able for it after the last few days.

Cheddar cheese and peppercorn crackers and tea = Happy Muffin.

Aldo fruit strudel in the oven now, gonna have it with some vanilla ice cream, nom.

Still upset about my nail polish though :(

Still mightily pissed off at my granny, whenever I or my mother say something joking, she gives a sneery laugh at us :mad: I am going to lose my cool with her soon.

im tellin ya, say what i told ya!

my grandmother is one for the sharp put-downs as well but a few back at her has her shutting up
    sometimes :rolleyes:
    and yet we still love each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

ok, that tofu was bad :( feeling sick now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Been saving weeks for a Canon camera, was excited to get it before the summer if I could manage and I've always wanted a professional camera.

My dad surprised me by telling me he's taking me into Dublin Saturday and getting it for me as a super early birthday gift. I mean early. So delighted! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

In other news, I'm just 1 stone away from my ideal weight :) I get to see my girlfriend tomorrow :D and I am popping along to the nocturnal beers on saturday, hurray :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

First person to reply yes or no makes up my mind for me :)

yes

bluewolf wrote: »
    yes
    I love you :D

*cracks open a bottle of vino*

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    im tellin ya, say what i told ya!

my grandmother is one for the sharp put-downs as well but a few back at her has her shutting up
    sometimes :rolleyes:
    and yet we still love each other!
    I tried smart put downs before and she uses them as an excuse to cause a row.

She's been doing it all day in front of my boyfriend as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Lectures finished for this year. For this degree. *gulp*

:eek: :D:(:confused:

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I am tired of this week. I would like it to be the weekend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Had the most painful/embarrassing day :(

My back was acting up this morning, but decided to get the bus into Limerick to look at houses anyways. When I got off in Limerick, went into the bus station, sat down and couldn't get up :( Waited for bout half an hour, the boyfriend came along, tried to help me up, I couldn't move :( About 10 minutes later I stood up.. Took about 10 steps and was crippled, standing in the middle of the station, not able to move and crying... About 10 bus eireann employees asking if I need an ambulance, and had to be given a wheelchair to get me out to the car...

so morto :(

Sar_Bear wrote: »

My back was acting up this morning, but decided to get the bus into Limerick to look at houses anyways. When I got off in Limerick, went into the bus station, sat down and couldn't get up :( Waited for bout half an hour, the boyfriend came along, tried to help me up, I couldn't move :( About 10 minutes later I stood up.. Took about 10 steps and was crippled, standing in the middle of the station, not able to move and crying... About 10 bus eireann employees asking if I need an ambulance, and had to be given a wheelchair to get me out to the car...

Oh no. That happened to me before. Thank god I was at home but had to get my mam and brother inlaw to call over and lift me out of my bed and into the car. Not a nice feeling at all you poor thing.

That sounds terrible. I hope you feel better soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Guys........
    I need yer help!!!!

I'm considering applying for a pHd in NUIG (microbial molecular ecology thingy), swore I'd never consider doing one but well, here I am considering it!!

Am I mad??
    How have any of ye found them?
    I'm afraid and I'm not sure why:eek:

A good friend of mine got her PhD in microbiology from NUIG less than one year ago. She had an absolutely great time doing it too. I could pass on any questions you have about it all if you wanted, I'm 100% certain that she'd respond to any questions with very good answers (she might be a little bit busy for the time being considering she's also a med student now but she will get round to it fairly quickly).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apologies. Missed this anon one earlier
    PhD Girly wrote: »
    @KittyeeTrix

I am nearly at the end of my PhD in a different subject. I love my subject and have never had doubts on that level. It is really hard though; you will be working alone a lot and have to put your life on hold while you do it. It really and truly becomes your life. Make sure you have that passion for your topic, because that is what will get you through those tough times when you're broke, on your own and up at 3A.M. trying to finish a paper! I have no regrets and am delighted I did it. Didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into though! Best of luck with it, hope it all works out really well for you. :-)

Also: what someone else said about finding the right supervisor is 100% right. That will make or break a project. I have seen people drop out because of a bad supervisor, so make sure you can work with them both personally and academically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I actually ended up missing my last few lectures - its only now that I think of it, I would have liked to have actually said that this is my last ever college lecture :(

After tomorrow, I don't have to write anymore formal lesson plans EVER!!!!!!
    Except for the ones that I should have written already

Off tomorrow for Easter - two weeks of catching up on paper work and getting a couple of assignments to do

• Advertisement

Watching bbc1 about the Asian girl who was killed on her honeymoon and they blamed her husband. He was never convicted of her murder but the CCTV footage they are showing is well dodge. The taxi driver admitted it and said the husband paid him. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've had to pull out of my Easter soccer camp next week because of my foot.

It's so frustrating because it would have been my step up on the first rung of the coaching ladder. I would have got to know some people that would have been useful contacts in the future.

The only positive I can take from it is that I won't have to be up at 7.15 am. Scant consolation really.

:(

Kiera wrote: »
    Watching bbc1 about the Asian girl who was killed on her honeymoon and they blamed her husband. He was never convicted of her murder but the CCTV footage they are showing is well dodge. The taxi driver admitted it and said the husband paid him. Crazy stuff.

It's a bizarre story. Makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a bizarre story. Makes no sense whatsoever.
    I know. At the start I defo thought it was him from the papers. Now I'm thinking it was just bad people trying to get money from a rich couple and they lost their bottle after killing her. Another half hour will make my mind up.

Well I'm no clearer on who did it. They said it best at the end with her husband in a secure mental hospital " a bride dead, her husband broken. Two families destroyed" :(

Well I'm no clearer on who did it. They said it best at the end with her husband in a secure mental hospital " a bride dead, her husband broken. Two families destroyed" :(

Yeah. It's impossible to know from media reports, or even police reports and confessions. Holes can be picked in every single one of the arguments from both sides. It still makes no sense. All we know is that someone's dead for no known reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

I know! I reckon the husband was gay, wanted to set up a rendezvous with a local, was using taxi driver as a go between but got set up and poor wife was killed. If it's true about the groom and taxi driver exchanging text messages when the wife was in the car wtf? And what about the money handover in the Internet room of the hotel? Think the programme raised more questions than it answered...:confused:

You poor thing, that sounds awful, hope you're doing OK now and your back is better soon *hugs*.

I am starving now, even though I have eaten loads today. How can I be hungry again?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Horrible, horrible day. I'd love to take a mental health day tomorrow and stay in bed and do nothing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hope you feel better soon Jane :)

Thanks Muffin. Hope you're feeling better too. My mam can be the same. She behaved like a child in front of my boyfriend and my friends the other day and I was so embarrassed. I had to try and hide it too which made it worse. All I wanted to do was cry but I kept telling everyone I was okay.

Yay, congrats! :D

Ouch, hope you're feeling better now Sar_Bear. That sounds really painful. x

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Thanks Muffin. Hope you're feeling better too. My mam can be the same. She behaved like a child in front of my boyfriend and my friends the other day and I was so embarrassed. I had to try and hide it too which made it worse. All I wanted to do was cry but I kept telling everyone I was okay.
    Thanks Jane :) I'm feeling OK now, still a bit down, but I'll be grand. I'm at my boyfriends now anyway so don't have to listen to my granny until tomorrow, hopefully she'll be in a better mood then. :)

Sorry to hear about your mums behaviour, thankfully my mother now sometimes tones down her behaviour when my boyfriend is around, generally she's not as bad as she used to be.

My granny is much worse though, every day she insults someone and make's fun of someone or something they do.

Like one day my mother cooker a really nice roast dinner and while everyone was eating my granny said "that dinner wasn't a bit nice", even though it was perfectly fine, she just threw the insult/comment out there for the sake of it.

My mother had spent nearly the whole day preparing everything and then cooking while my grandmother sat back with her feet up and then decided to hurl an insult.

Granny won't always do it in front of other family members though, so they all think she's a sweet as pie, butter wouldn't melt, when in reality she isn't as innocent at all.

/rant over

Sooo hungry now :( Dunno how I can be so hungry considering the amount I ate today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Eeeek Taekwondo Intervarsities on Saturday. Very nervous. First comp...in Taekwondo anyway. Hope I don't end up in hospital :o

Going up to Dublin for it tomorrow. Yays!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Eeeek Taekwondo Intervarsities on Saturday. Very nervous. First comp...in Taekwondo anyway. Hope I don't end up in hospital :o

Good Luck! What belt level are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Planning on going to a work shop during the Summer! Really excited :D I'd like to do it with someone but I don't think anyone would have an interset..well, no one I know anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck! Is it on in UCD again this year? Was usually a trophy fiesta for us in my day :)

• Advertisement

jujibee wrote: »
    Good Luck! What belt level are you?

Only yellow stripe! Just started this year and we only have training once a week :/ I was almost at a brown belt in karate but gave that up when I was about 16 due to my kneecap dislocating. So I am a bit nervous about my knee too! Ah well.

Good luck! Is it on in UCD again this year? Was usually a trophy fiesta for us in my day :)

Yes it is! Oh great that makes me feel so much better :P But thanks! There are very few people in our club going up (tiny club!). Two seniors (who are both brilliant/championship titles all round)...but one of them is injured from a comp in Portugal at the weekend and the other one has some kinda chest infection. So they are both only doing patterns! Then there are 2 lads who are alright and myself and another girl who are both total beginners and are a bit scared.

Only yellow stripe! Just started this year and we only have training once a week :/ I was almost at a brown belt in karate but gave that up when I was about 16 due to my kneecap dislocating. So I am a bit nervous about my knee too! Ah well.

Yeah, I was senior red belt in Taekwondo and Brown in Akido but stopped when I was 18. Managed to dislocate by wrist when some guy tried to throw me "gently" and just held onto my hand during the throw rather than releasing and letting me fall.

I always liked poomsae better than sparring :o

Do you have a bandage you can use as a gentle brace for your knee? Like one that will support without restricting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jujibee wrote: »
    I always liked poomsae better than sparring :o
    Opposite for me, much preferred sparring.

I do think sometimes I'd love go go back to TKD, but scared about not being able to run for ages if I get injured. I'm a 1st dan black belt, would be funny trying to land that 360* jump in Choong Moo these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

*twiddles thumbs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Why is the first pancake you make always a disaster?

Why is the first pancake you make always a disaster?

i always find that too

sometimes i think it's because the pan isn't super hot yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm in such a bad mood, I feel like I'll snap someone's head off if they so much as look at me oddly. Today is going to be fun. :rolleyes:

Maybe it won't be so bad, if I an convince someone to come with me later to get icecream or something. Fingers crossed the weather is decent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Acoshla wrote: »
    My driving instructor used to say he would tell people if he didn't think they'd pass because it wasn't fair to put them through a fail when he knew they weren't ready to do it. He had a 100% pass rate because he would always tell someone when they were and weren't ready to do the test, maybe the instructor was trying to be helpful but worded it wrong...?

Or perhaps it's a ploy to get more lessons out of you! (I'm a terrible cynic!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Boy's sister is in Limerick this weekend. Boy isn't. Boy asked me to give her a spare key to his place.
    Is he having me meet her on my own so he doesn't have to introduce us??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Yeah that's the way I'd see it too, to be honest!

A lot of driving schools advertise 100% pass rates (or close to it.) The thing is, a lot of them only advise students to sit the test if the instructor is certain they'll pass it. So, if they're not entirely sure, they'll "officially" advise the student not to sit the test - and therefore, if the student fails, they don't include them in the % pass rate, as they were advised not to do it.

I failed my driving test first time, and I think it was the best thing in the world for me! I was only borderline, failed on maybe one or two of the Grade Two faults, no Grade Threes. But it really knocked my confidence - in a good way! I took a break from driving, then did tonnes more lessons, practiced loads more than I had for the first time, and passed no problem second time around. It obviously cost me an extra few hundred euro, but I honestly believe I'm a far better driver now because of it, so it was definitely worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Morning everyone :)

Thanks for all the feel betters, yer as good :) Back is a little bit better today, can actually move a bit, so that's always a plus :o Hopefully it's better by tonight, have to work a night shift and I already got paid for it.. Don't want my pay to be docked next week for callin in sick!

Hope everyone is having a good day so far :)

That's so horrible what the driving instructor said!!! I agree he's just trying to get more driving lessons outta ya.. Maybe try practice a lil bit extra with a friend, someone a bit nicer, before your test :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

So we have 3 builder/plumbers in our house right now fixing a shower leak and other stuff and one of them is our neighbour who owns the business anywayssss one of his employees oe whatever is like mid twenties little older than me and jaysus :cool::cool: he is hot! Full on walked past him in my shorts (even though it's back to typical freezing Irish weather) and a tank...:( What have IO become? Keep finding excuses to go down to the kitchen and get a peak :pac: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Nah this guy is amazing, he tells very few people not to do it, after 5ish lessons with him pretty much everyone can drive. He's the most recommended instructor in the town I'm from, everyone I know that has gone to him has passed first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Whopper headache :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement