Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss sending home non swiss for certain crimes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

charlemont wrote: »
    All ill say about foreigners in jail here is that they dont get bail as often as an Irish person due to address /residency issues.. how many Irish people would be on remand for such offences as cigarette smuggling or been involved in fights.. The rate of coloured people in particular in jail for serious offences like murder or rape is very low..whereas i know there is a few eastern Europeans inside for violent crime ok..But a lot of these prison spaces are just remand prisoners, I agree that anyone here who commits violent crime or serious fraud should be kicked out but i wouldnt be in favour of someone being deported for such offences as possesion of cannabis or drunkiness..

Can you back that up with facts? Throughout the world you'll find its the opposite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What if it is illegal where you are from but you committed it somewhere where it is legal? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Irish citizens who do stuff abroad that would be illegal here are breaking Irish laws. Same is true for many other countries.

Whether we could prosecute someone for something that is legal here but illegal in their home country is a question all right. Hey let's chop off arms for thieving muslims :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    Care to rephrase?

why? they are and the UAE has no shame in showing that. you are looked down upon by the locals if you are from anywhere in Asia, its mostly Indian, Filipinos etc doing all the ****ty jobs over there. EU, US & Aussie aren't looked down upon so much as just un-approved. And while Dubai & Abu Dubai are more tolerant because of so much outside business etc the other emirates are a lot less open or tolerant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cherrycola wrote: »
    In Dubai, you commit a crime, you serve your time, and then you're deported, end of. And no one bats an eyelid or questions them about xenophobia!

Yeah, who in their right mind would accuse The UAE or Switzerland of being xenophobic? The very notion is preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I like the Islamic minarets but on the other hand do think non-national criminals should be deported.

So I guess I half agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

smk89 wrote: »
    Source: BBC

If its the case in Switzerland, its probably the same here.

Based, presumably, on our shared devotion to Toblerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Maybe it would make sense to actually deny entry to Ireland in the first place to anyone with a criminal record?? that would make too much sense though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd say rape, murder, manslaughter, DUI and drug offenses myself

possibly for repeated assaults too.

Maybe not so much for minor traffic violations and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I think the swiss proposal is a good idea in theory.
    as it acts like a great deterent for people from developing countries
    The one think a crimnal(developing world) in a developed country fear
    is deportation.
    for example
    Imagine a egyptian living in swizterland if he knows
    that if he gets caught commiting massive social welfare fraud he will get deported it will deter him, far more than the threat short spell in a "cushy" swiss jail. I would much rather live in geneva than cario would u??
    It will not happen here as there is no debate on immigration in the country.

In some other posts there appears to be a dispute in numbers
    There are two ways to measure prison population

Snapshot
    IF you take a snapshot of the prison population
    you get an Irish % of between 85-90

Commitals
    If you measure all prison commitals during year you get
    a non-irish national prison commital popualtion of 34%

http://www.politics.ie/justice/135097-irelands-prison-population-non-irish-nationals-analysis.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

stovelid wrote: »
    A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.

hardly easy targets if they are getting away with a slap on the wrist every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Confab wrote: »
    It's different in Switzerland. The people voted to expel non-national criminals. As a people, we will never, ever vote for anything like that. Why? because we aren't involved in the decision making process.

Unless you count voting the most popular person into the Dail 'decision making', that is.

True, the main difference is that the Swiss have "direct democracy", meaning that anybody can organise a petition through the proper channels and if enough people sign it, it will go to vote.

This has its positives and negatives. On one hand the people have a direct say in how the country is run. On the other hand parties like the SVP (the one responsible for this initiative) run campaigns based on politics of fear and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Out of the people I have talked to about this many are proud to be Swiss and agree in principal with these initiatives, but nobody will admit to voting SVP because of the way that they conduct their campaigns. Somebody does though, they are the biggest party here.

Here are a few examples of their political posters so you can see what I mean:

Anti Minaret poster:
    http://reason.com/assets/mc/mmoynihan/2009_10/svp_poster.jpg

Kicking out "foreign" criminals 1:
    http://www.hurryupharry.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/svp_01a.jpg

Kicking out "foreign" criminals 2:
    http://www.cepic.org/sites/cepic/assets/pictures/news/2010/SVP.png

Making it easier to become a Swiss citizen:
    http://worldradio.ch/wrs/bm~pix/leadseries_svp_poster2008~s600x600.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

We have an enormous number of Foreign nationals in our jails, obviously at great expense to us, and many of these are repeat offenders.

Show the numbers,

Tits or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Would it be illegal to deport EU citizens under the Schengen Agreemnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I love these ideas typically come to prominence in times of economic hardship.

lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pookah wrote: »
    Would it be illegal to deport EU citizens under the Schengen Agreemnet?

Not necessarily, but I feel we've been through this before. I am fairly certain we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

prinz wrote: »
    Not necessarily, but I feel we've been through this before. I am fairly certain we have.

Rings a bell, alright. :pac:

What did we conclude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What did we conclude?

The usual AH conclusion that everybody is correct, no matter what their opinion, or even whether they're right or not.

What did we conclude?

Yes, EU citizens can be deported for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

How about running a prison in Egypt or somewhere like that and putting ALL (Irish, EU, Foreign - all sorts) repeat offenders there? And run the prisons to local standard - that means no xfactor and football on telly and snooker tables etc. I would say it would be much cheaper than keeping them in prisons here right?

Yes, that's it - outsourcing the prisons. I think it will be great deterrent for criminals, and cheaper on the tax payer over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

help launder money, deport petty criminals: Switzerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Well there are probably far more Irish in prison abroad than there are foreigners in prison in Ireland.

According to this article there are 666 Irish in gaol in Britain. So in total around the world its not hard to imagine that number could be reaching 1000.

So if all them came here to replace our foreign prisoners, we'd be losing out badly in that deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.swisspolice.ch/e/1_persfdg/aktuell1.htm

If I get this list right just one person on the Swiss most wanted list is from Switzerland, the rest are not. A few doesn't mention nationality so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Firstly I was all for this idea to be introduced here - then I thought if the uk did the same we would have a huge influx of criminals - easily dwarfing the 600 non nationals listed here as in our jails

(im going to try and prove that later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How about criminal background checks on all immigrants at the airport here first, it will drastically reduce the ratio of foreigners in the jails. If you have no criminal record in your country, fine come in. If not, you are rejected.

If only the EU would implement that rule. And no they are not non-nationals, they have a nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Swiss sending home non-Swiss for certain crimes'.

Shame they're not as fussy about who they bank with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jordainius wrote: »
    I'd imagine that benefit fraud committed by our own citizens dwarfs that of benefit fraud committed by non-nationals.

Ah thats fine so....

utter crap, these non nationals are screwing the system at will.

We have nigerian gangsters,albanian gangsters,russian gangsters, polish gangsters, latvian gangsters etc etc, so take your pick........

This country is a fcuking joke,these people are allowed into this country without any checks,and we still have these wolly jumper brigade who say....are sure didn't we go all over the world...yeah spot on, this country is getting the 2 fingers from so many countries.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I love these ideas typically come to prominence in times of economic hardship.

lol.
    And your point being...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cherrycola wrote: »
    In Dubai, you commit a crime, you serve your time, and then you're deported, end of. And no one bats an eyelid or questions them about xenophobia!
    You abide by their rules or you're out on your ass, and for a lot less than murder in many cases! This has been their stance forever, foreigners are second class citizens. Ive lived there, i know the score.

The Swiss are dead right, i only wish Ireland would follow in their footsteps, and stop pussy-footing around minority groups, afraid of offending people. F**king grow a pair!! :mad:
    I agree to a certain extent.
    Kiss your husband in public and see what happens.

I do agree with their deportation laws though.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree, so maybe a European policy, which would also see Irish been sent back?
    Of course, and why not?

stovelid wrote: »
    A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.
    The Icelandic volcano exposed thousands of Polish scammers and saved the Irish tax payer millions. Let us not allow facts to get in the way of left wing hugging though.

Senna wrote: »
    *Ideally* we should adopt and widen this proposal, anyone national or non-national should be kicked out of the country if they commit a serious crime. You break the law (murder, rape, armed theft etc), you forfeit your residency.
    So you're proposing that people born in Ireland are to be deported?
    That's really fúcking retarded.
    Where are you going to send them? Alba?

charlemont wrote: »
    All ill say about foreigners in jail here is that they dont get bail as often as an Irish person due to address /residency issues.. how many Irish people would be on remand for such offences as cigarette smuggling or been involved in fights.. The rate of coloured people in particular in jail for serious offences like murder or rape is very low..whereas i know there is a few eastern Europeans inside for violent crime ok..But a lot of these prison spaces are just remand prisoners, I agree that anyone here who commits violent crime or serious fraud should be kicked out but i wouldnt be in favour of someone being deported for such offences as possesion of cannabis or drunkiness..

Foreign people are more of a flight risk than Irish people. That's why they do not get bail. Bring in stricter passport controls and that will be changed.
    However, if you do bring in stricter controls, then the human rights activists will bitch and moan.
    What if it is illegal where you are from but you committed it somewhere where it is legal? :p
    When in Rome...

I think the swiss proposal is a good idea in theory.
    as it acts like a great deterent for people from developing countries
    The one think a crimnal(developing world) in a developed country fear
    is deportation.
    for example
    Imagine a egyptian living in swizterland if he knows
    that if he gets caught commiting massive social welfare fraud he will get deported it will deter him, far more than the threat short spell in a "cushy" swiss jail. I would much rather live in geneva than cario would u??
    It will not happen here as there is no debate on immigration in the country.

In some other posts there appears to be a dispute in numbers
    There are two ways to measure prison population

Snapshot
    IF you take a snapshot of the prison population
    you get an Irish % of between 85-90

Commitals
    If you measure all prison commitals during year you get
    a non-irish national prison commital popualtion of 34%

http://www.politics.ie/justice/135097-irelands-prison-population-non-irish-nationals-analysis.html
    not yet wrote: »
    We have nigerian gangsters,albanian gangsters,russian gangsters, polish gangsters, latvian gangsters etc etc, so take your pick........

This country is a fcuking joke,these people are allowed into this country without any checks,and we still have these wolly jumper brigade who say....are sure didn't we go all over the world...yeah spot on, this country is getting the 2 fingers from so many countries.

Politics.ie can suck my balls. Bunch of left wing lunatics.
    In saying that, I do believe that repeat non-national criminals should be sent back to their country of origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Eh, you forgot Irish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

@not yet; you're wrong. Really wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah thats fine so....

utter crap, these non nationals are screwing the system at will.
    As are fair few Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

And your point being...?

How many people's attitudes, moral compass and motivations are directly tied to their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

send them home alright...in BODY BAGS muwaaaahhhaaahhhaaaaa *cough splutter.

seriously though, i dont understand how it's even a question. of course you should be deported if you dont live by our country's laws - f'uckin end of. i wouldnt even waste the jail time and money on them, just send them back.

btw, that brings me to my next suggestion. why dont we just confiscate a medium size sparsely populated island and simply dump a certain class of criminal on there. let them live like animals - no assistance from the state at all except a couple of patrol boats to blow them up if they fashion a boat from the bodies of their dead fellow prisoners. i'm serious.

There are groups of people that arrive in Ireland with the sole purpose of committing criminal offences, I don't see why we would even entertain the thought of not deporting them for life.
    We have enough scumbags here to keep the prisons full anyway.
    Minor crimes - immediate deportation.
    Major crimes - prison and then deported.
    Compulsory DNA collection for any conviction of crime that gives prison time.

Can we deport EU citizens who have committed no crime in their own/other countries and who are from one of the 25 countries (meaning not Romania or Bulgaria)? I thought they'd the same right to live in Ireland as an Irish citizen.

Probably a legal minefield but France has deported Eu nationals and Italy wants to.
    Difference is that France and Italy target state benefit users/fraudsters.

Sunday August 22 2010
    Italy wants to expel citizens of other EU states who live solely off state benefits, an interior minister said yesterday. The move, that would extend a crackdown on Roma people, was criticised by rights groups as discriminatory.
    Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the European Commission had denied Italy permission to pursue such a plan in the past but that he would resume lobbying and push for the change at a September 6 meeting of EU interior ministers.
    This week, France sent dozens of Roma on flights home to Romania in a mass repatriation that it says is voluntary, though some said they were coerced to leave.
    Applauding France's move, Mr Maroni, from the anti-immigrant Northern League party, said mandatory deportation of Roma, who do not meet basic requirements, should now be allowed.
    "Yes, expulsions just like those for illegal immigrants, not assisted or voluntary repatriations," Mr Maroni told the Corriere della Sera daily yesterday.

biko wrote: »
    Probably a legal minefield but France has deported Eu nationals and Italy wants to.

Sunday August 22 2010
    Italy wants to expel citizens of other EU states who live solely off state benefits, an interior minister said yesterday. The move, that would extend a crackdown on Roma people, was criticised by rights groups as discriminatory.
    Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the European Commission had denied Italy permission to pursue such a plan in the past but that he would resume lobbying and push for the change at a September 6 meeting of EU interior ministers.
    This week, France sent dozens of Roma on flights home to Romania in a mass repatriation that it says is voluntary, though some said they were coerced to leave.
    Applauding France's move, Mr Maroni, from the anti-immigrant Northern League party, said mandatory deportation of Roma, who do not meet basic requirements, should now be allowed.
    "Yes, expulsions just like those for illegal immigrants, not assisted or voluntary repatriations," Mr Maroni told the Corriere della Sera daily yesterday.

Only Romanian and Bulgarians though - those that do not yet have the same rights to freedom or work and travel as the rest of us, well not until 2014 I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

sorry, just to clarify: we shouldn't ever deport vietnamese. there'd be nobody to look after our grow houses if we did.

enda1 wrote: »
    Can we deport EU citizens who have committed no crime in their own/other countries and who are from one of the 25 countries (meaning not Romania or Bulgaria)? I thought they'd the same right to live in Ireland as an Irish citizen.

Yes, there are grounds to deport EU citizens. Just like Irish citizens could be deported from other EU countries. Financial status is a major one, but others could be argued too.

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, there are grounds to deport EU citizens. Just like Irish citizens could be deported from other EU countries. Financial status is a major one, but others could be argued too.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean - financial status?
    Is there a list of grounds for deportation?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean - financial status?

If you haven't got the money to support yourself and you've no intention/hope of gaining employment or history of attempting to secure gainful employment then your host country is under no obligation to support you via their social welfare system. They are entitled to deport you. Basically if you have no cash, and no hope of getting any legally then they can kick your ass out, because your only hope would be getting involved in illegality of some sort.
    Is there a list of grounds for deportation?

They are spread across various pieces of Euro legislation. Plenty of info online, other reasons include being a threat to public order, health and security IIRC, failure to comply with residency laws etc. It is conceivable you could fit the above and not have a criminal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Piste wrote: »
    I would like to see something like this here, automatic expulsion. I don't know if I'd like to see them do time here..on one hand it's pretty much a get out of jail free card just sending them home, but on the other hand making them do time here costs us a fortune. I'd like to see them gone in any case, I don't think it's Xenophobic to do so either.

it has the potential for some eejits to comit crimes so they can be sent home rather than pay.

Deportation of criminal foreigners is cheaper than keeping them locked up here.
    It also prevents them from entering/committing crime again.
    After a while the foreign crime bosses will stop sending their minions here.
    Well worth the expense.

• Advertisement

Deportation of criminal foreigners is cheaper than keeping them locked up here.
    It also prevents them from entering/committing crime again.
    After a while the foreign crime bosses will stop sending their minions here.
    Well worth the expense.

If we deport theirs, then we must expect ours back.
    There are more of ours abroad than theirs here thus costing us far more in the long run.

Stats for that?
    Anyway that's fine - I'm sure the families of the abroad prisoners, as well as the prisoners themselves, would rather have the Irish spend their time in an Irish prison.

Edit: 2005 there were less than 800 Irish in foreign prisons.
    That's a quarter of a 2007 census of non-Irish in Irish prisons.
    Yes numbers change over time and all but it gives some info on the relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Must be a crowded space for the Irish gangsters criminal and paramilitary types?

Stats for that?
    Anyway that's fine - I'm sure the families of the abroad prisoners, as well as the prisoners themselves, would rather have the Irish spend their time in an Irish prison.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69283290&postcount=73

Somewhere earlier in the thread mentioned there were about 600 foreign nationals in Irish gaols.

Why would they prefer to spend the time in Irish prisons???
    Sure they live abroad and their families are probably with them in Britain/France/Germany etc.

If there are Irish 666 prisoner in UK that leave 100 or so elsewhere.
    From your first post to the most recent you've gone from "probably more prisoners" ot "There are more of ours abroad than theirs here thus costing us far more in the long run".

My stats from 2007 says that's not so, do you have other numbers to support your theory?

As to "Why would they prefer to spend the time in Irish prisons???" read this
    Hundreds of Irish people end up in jail in faraway countries. Ben Quinn reports on their nightmare come true

The sweat of overcrowded cells, the sparse sanitation, not to mention the quiet terror of looking forward to a double-digit sentence - for anyone who has glimpsed Hollywood's hellish vision of prison life abroad, going to jail in a developing country is the ultimate traveller's nightmare.

It's a thought that may or may not worry some of the thousands of young Irish people who now regard a stint backpacking through Southeast Asia or Latin America as a rite of passage before a lifetime of work in the comfortable west.

But for hundreds of Irish people, that nightmare is a reality.

Officially, a total of 765 Irish people are imprisoned abroad, for crimes ranging from the minor to the very serious. But that number is considered an underestimate of the real figure.
    We can only speculate on the real numbers so I'm just going with reported numbers.

Anyway, it's not really the point here whether they want to go home or not - as it's not likely to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement