Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss sending home non swiss for certain crimes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

stovelid wrote: »
    A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.

hardly easy targets if they are getting away with a slap on the wrist every time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Confab wrote: »
    It's different in Switzerland. The people voted to expel non-national criminals. As a people, we will never, ever vote for anything like that. Why? because we aren't involved in the decision making process.

Unless you count voting the most popular person into the Dail 'decision making', that is.

True, the main difference is that the Swiss have "direct democracy", meaning that anybody can organise a petition through the proper channels and if enough people sign it, it will go to vote.

This has its positives and negatives. On one hand the people have a direct say in how the country is run. On the other hand parties like the SVP (the one responsible for this initiative) run campaigns based on politics of fear and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Out of the people I have talked to about this many are proud to be Swiss and agree in principal with these initiatives, but nobody will admit to voting SVP because of the way that they conduct their campaigns. Somebody does though, they are the biggest party here.

Here are a few examples of their political posters so you can see what I mean:

Anti Minaret poster:
    http://reason.com/assets/mc/mmoynihan/2009_10/svp_poster.jpg

Kicking out "foreign" criminals 1:
    http://www.hurryupharry.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/svp_01a.jpg

Kicking out "foreign" criminals 2:
    http://www.cepic.org/sites/cepic/assets/pictures/news/2010/SVP.png

Making it easier to become a Swiss citizen:
    http://worldradio.ch/wrs/bm~pix/leadseries_svp_poster2008~s600x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

We have an enormous number of Foreign nationals in our jails, obviously at great expense to us, and many of these are repeat offenders.

Show the numbers,

Tits or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Would it be illegal to deport EU citizens under the Schengen Agreemnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I love these ideas typically come to prominence in times of economic hardship.

lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pookah wrote: »
    Would it be illegal to deport EU citizens under the Schengen Agreemnet?

Not necessarily, but I feel we've been through this before. I am fairly certain we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

prinz wrote: »
    Not necessarily, but I feel we've been through this before. I am fairly certain we have.

Rings a bell, alright. :pac:

What did we conclude?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What did we conclude?

The usual AH conclusion that everybody is correct, no matter what their opinion, or even whether they're right or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What did we conclude?

Yes, EU citizens can be deported for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

How about running a prison in Egypt or somewhere like that and putting ALL (Irish, EU, Foreign - all sorts) repeat offenders there? And run the prisons to local standard - that means no xfactor and football on telly and snooker tables etc. I would say it would be much cheaper than keeping them in prisons here right?

Yes, that's it - outsourcing the prisons. I think it will be great deterrent for criminals, and cheaper on the tax payer over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

help launder money, deport petty criminals: Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Well there are probably far more Irish in prison abroad than there are foreigners in prison in Ireland.

According to this article there are 666 Irish in gaol in Britain. So in total around the world its not hard to imagine that number could be reaching 1000.

So if all them came here to replace our foreign prisoners, we'd be losing out badly in that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.swisspolice.ch/e/1_persfdg/aktuell1.htm

If I get this list right just one person on the Swiss most wanted list is from Switzerland, the rest are not. A few doesn't mention nationality so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Firstly I was all for this idea to be introduced here - then I thought if the uk did the same we would have a huge influx of criminals - easily dwarfing the 600 non nationals listed here as in our jails

(im going to try and prove that later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How about criminal background checks on all immigrants at the airport here first, it will drastically reduce the ratio of foreigners in the jails. If you have no criminal record in your country, fine come in. If not, you are rejected.

If only the EU would implement that rule. And no they are not non-nationals, they have a nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Swiss sending home non-Swiss for certain crimes'.

Shame they're not as fussy about who they bank with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jordainius wrote: »
    I'd imagine that benefit fraud committed by our own citizens dwarfs that of benefit fraud committed by non-nationals.

Ah thats fine so....

utter crap, these non nationals are screwing the system at will.

We have nigerian gangsters,albanian gangsters,russian gangsters, polish gangsters, latvian gangsters etc etc, so take your pick........

This country is a fcuking joke,these people are allowed into this country without any checks,and we still have these wolly jumper brigade who say....are sure didn't we go all over the world...yeah spot on, this country is getting the 2 fingers from so many countries.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I love these ideas typically come to prominence in times of economic hardship.

lol.
    And your point being...?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cherrycola wrote: »
    In Dubai, you commit a crime, you serve your time, and then you're deported, end of. And no one bats an eyelid or questions them about xenophobia!
    You abide by their rules or you're out on your ass, and for a lot less than murder in many cases! This has been their stance forever, foreigners are second class citizens. Ive lived there, i know the score.

The Swiss are dead right, i only wish Ireland would follow in their footsteps, and stop pussy-footing around minority groups, afraid of offending people. F**king grow a pair!! :mad:
    I agree to a certain extent.
    Kiss your husband in public and see what happens.

I do agree with their deportation laws though.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree, so maybe a European policy, which would also see Irish been sent back?
    Of course, and why not?

stovelid wrote: »
    A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.
    The Icelandic volcano exposed thousands of Polish scammers and saved the Irish tax payer millions. Let us not allow facts to get in the way of left wing hugging though.

Senna wrote: »
    *Ideally* we should adopt and widen this proposal, anyone national or non-national should be kicked out of the country if they commit a serious crime. You break the law (murder, rape, armed theft etc), you forfeit your residency.
    So you're proposing that people born in Ireland are to be deported?
    That's really fúcking retarded.
    Where are you going to send them? Alba?

charlemont wrote: »
    All ill say about foreigners in jail here is that they dont get bail as often as an Irish person due to address /residency issues.. how many Irish people would be on remand for such offences as cigarette smuggling or been involved in fights.. The rate of coloured people in particular in jail for serious offences like murder or rape is very low..whereas i know there is a few eastern Europeans inside for violent crime ok..But a lot of these prison spaces are just remand prisoners, I agree that anyone here who commits violent crime or serious fraud should be kicked out but i wouldnt be in favour of someone being deported for such offences as possesion of cannabis or drunkiness..

Foreign people are more of a flight risk than Irish people. That's why they do not get bail. Bring in stricter passport controls and that will be changed.
    However, if you do bring in stricter controls, then the human rights activists will bitch and moan.
    What if it is illegal where you are from but you committed it somewhere where it is legal? :p
    When in Rome...

I think the swiss proposal is a good idea in theory.
    as it acts like a great deterent for people from developing countries
    The one think a crimnal(developing world) in a developed country fear
    is deportation.
    for example
    Imagine a egyptian living in swizterland if he knows
    that if he gets caught commiting massive social welfare fraud he will get deported it will deter him, far more than the threat short spell in a "cushy" swiss jail. I would much rather live in geneva than cario would u??
    It will not happen here as there is no debate on immigration in the country.

In some other posts there appears to be a dispute in numbers
    There are two ways to measure prison population

Snapshot
    IF you take a snapshot of the prison population
    you get an Irish % of between 85-90

Commitals
    If you measure all prison commitals during year you get
    a non-irish national prison commital popualtion of 34%

http://www.politics.ie/justice/135097-irelands-prison-population-non-irish-nationals-analysis.html
    not yet wrote: »
    We have nigerian gangsters,albanian gangsters,russian gangsters, polish gangsters, latvian gangsters etc etc, so take your pick........

This country is a fcuking joke,these people are allowed into this country without any checks,and we still have these wolly jumper brigade who say....are sure didn't we go all over the world...yeah spot on, this country is getting the 2 fingers from so many countries.

Politics.ie can suck my balls. Bunch of left wing lunatics.
    In saying that, I do believe that repeat non-national criminals should be sent back to their country of origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Eh, you forgot Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

@not yet; you're wrong. Really wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah thats fine so....

utter crap, these non nationals are screwing the system at will.
    As are fair few Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

And your point being...?

How many people's attitudes, moral compass and motivations are directly tied to their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

send them home alright...in BODY BAGS muwaaaahhhaaahhhaaaaa *cough splutter.

seriously though, i dont understand how it's even a question. of course you should be deported if you dont live by our country's laws - f'uckin end of. i wouldnt even waste the jail time and money on them, just send them back.

btw, that brings me to my next suggestion. why dont we just confiscate a medium size sparsely populated island and simply dump a certain class of criminal on there. let them live like animals - no assistance from the state at all except a couple of patrol boats to blow them up if they fashion a boat from the bodies of their dead fellow prisoners. i'm serious.

There are groups of people that arrive in Ireland with the sole purpose of committing criminal offences, I don't see why we would even entertain the thought of not deporting them for life.
    We have enough scumbags here to keep the prisons full anyway.
    Minor crimes - immediate deportation.
    Major crimes - prison and then deported.
    Compulsory DNA collection for any conviction of crime that gives prison time.

Can we deport EU citizens who have committed no crime in their own/other countries and who are from one of the 25 countries (meaning not Romania or Bulgaria)? I thought they'd the same right to live in Ireland as an Irish citizen.

Probably a legal minefield but France has deported Eu nationals and Italy wants to.
    Difference is that France and Italy target state benefit users/fraudsters.

Sunday August 22 2010
    Italy wants to expel citizens of other EU states who live solely off state benefits, an interior minister said yesterday. The move, that would extend a crackdown on Roma people, was criticised by rights groups as discriminatory.
    Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the European Commission had denied Italy permission to pursue such a plan in the past but that he would resume lobbying and push for the change at a September 6 meeting of EU interior ministers.
    This week, France sent dozens of Roma on flights home to Romania in a mass repatriation that it says is voluntary, though some said they were coerced to leave.
    Applauding France's move, Mr Maroni, from the anti-immigrant Northern League party, said mandatory deportation of Roma, who do not meet basic requirements, should now be allowed.
    "Yes, expulsions just like those for illegal immigrants, not assisted or voluntary repatriations," Mr Maroni told the Corriere della Sera daily yesterday.

biko wrote: »
    Probably a legal minefield but France has deported Eu nationals and Italy wants to.

Sunday August 22 2010
    Italy wants to expel citizens of other EU states who live solely off state benefits, an interior minister said yesterday. The move, that would extend a crackdown on Roma people, was criticised by rights groups as discriminatory.
    Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the European Commission had denied Italy permission to pursue such a plan in the past but that he would resume lobbying and push for the change at a September 6 meeting of EU interior ministers.
    This week, France sent dozens of Roma on flights home to Romania in a mass repatriation that it says is voluntary, though some said they were coerced to leave.
    Applauding France's move, Mr Maroni, from the anti-immigrant Northern League party, said mandatory deportation of Roma, who do not meet basic requirements, should now be allowed.
    "Yes, expulsions just like those for illegal immigrants, not assisted or voluntary repatriations," Mr Maroni told the Corriere della Sera daily yesterday.

Only Romanian and Bulgarians though - those that do not yet have the same rights to freedom or work and travel as the rest of us, well not until 2014 I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

sorry, just to clarify: we shouldn't ever deport vietnamese. there'd be nobody to look after our grow houses if we did.

Advertisement