Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss sending home non swiss for certain crimes

Options
  • 28-11-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

Swiss voters have backed a referendum proposal for the automatic expulsion of non-Swiss citizens for certain crimes.
    Around 53% agreed that those convicted of crimes ranging from murder to benefit fraud should be deported.
    Fabrice Moscheni, of the right-wing Swiss People's Party (SVP), which drew up the measure, said "people we welcome in Switzerland should respect the rules of this country".
    But opponents said it was another example of increasing xenophobia.
    The SVP was behind last year's referendum that imposed a ban on the building of Islamic minarets. That decision was condemned by human rights groups and foreign governments.

Should Ireland do the same,The benefit fraud is an intesting one as it seems to be abused here quite easily,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'd imagine that benefit fraud committed by our own citizens dwarfs that of benefit fraud committed by non-nationals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What a great idea, petty we don't do the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

No, that's not what they said.

They didn't say that ..

'Non-national criminals have to-go-home'.

They said ..

'Non-national criminals can have no more to-ble-rone'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

jordainius wrote: »
    I'd imagine that benefit fraud committed by our own citizens dwarfs that of benefit fraud committed by non-nationals.

Maybe but it would be a start and it would certainly put of others coming here to abuse our own slow current enforcements,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Absolutely we should do the same.
    For crimes such as Murder, Rape etc I would have them serve a good stretch first and then deport them.
    I would also include any indictable crimes, those that are Circuit Court and above. Anybody being jailed for the second time or more should also be included IMO. We have an enormous number of Foreign nationals in our jails, obviously at great expense to us, and many of these are repeat offenders. I don't mind anybody being locked up once (usually for minor crimes/fines) as this can happen to anybody but once they become repeat offenders it's time to wave goodbye to them.
    At any given time we currently have between 400 and 600 foreign nationals in our Prisons (and sometimes more) - that's a huge proportion from roughly 4,000 prisoners. Sending these home would reduce overcrowding drastically as well as ensuring that those serving sentences serve a 'fair' proportion of their sentence rather than getting early release.

Call me xenophobic if you like but I'm just being realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

nope your xenophopic and unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Absolutely we should do the same.
    For crimes such as Murder, Rape etc I would have them serve a good stretch first and then deport them.
    I would also include any indictable crimes, those that are Circuit Court and above. Anybody being jailed for the second time or more should also be included IMO. We have an enormous number of Foreign nationals in our jails, obviously at great expense to us, and many of these are repeat offenders. I don't mind anybody being locked up once (usually for minor crimes/fines) as this can happen to anybody but once they become repeat offenders it's time to wave goodbye to them.
    At any given time we currently have between 400 and 600 foreign nationals in our Prisons (and sometimes more) - that's a huge proportion from roughly 4,000 prisoners. Sending these home would reduce overcrowding drastically as well as ensuring that those serving sentences serve a 'fair' proportion of their sentence rather than getting early release.

They should all get a kick up the Swiss, and be sent very far away, and that includes our own jailbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    nope your xenophopic and unrealistic

I know...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But they do get some free cheese before they go...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

In Dubai, you commit a crime, you serve your time, and then you're deported, end of. And no one bats an eyelid or questions them about xenophobia!
    You abide by their rules or you're out on your ass, and for a lot less than murder in many cases! This has been their stance forever, foreigners are second class citizens. Ive lived there, i know the score.

The Swiss are dead right, i only wish Ireland would follow in their footsteps, and stop pussy-footing around minority groups, afraid of offending people. F**king grow a pair!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So someone commits a crime & they get sent home?

Hardly what I would consider a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would like to see something like this here, automatic expulsion. I don't know if I'd like to see them do time here..on one hand it's pretty much a get out of jail free card just sending them home, but on the other hand making them do time here costs us a fortune. I'd like to see them gone in any case, I don't think it's Xenophobic to do so either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, some people are just deported.
    Cherrycola wrote: »
    foreigners are second class citizens.
    Care to rephrase?

So someone commits a crime & they get sent home?

Hardly what I would consider a punishment.

Especially if one of them only has to go as far as Offaly, although some may consider that to be worse than the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

realies wrote: »
    Swiss voters have backed a referendum proposal for the automatic expulsion of non-Swiss citizens for certain crimes.
    Around 53% agreed that those convicted of crimes ranging from murder to benefit fraud should be deported.
    Fabrice Moscheni, of the right-wing Swiss People's Party (SVP), which drew up the measure, said "people we welcome in Switzerland should respect the rules of this country".
    But opponents said it was another example of increasing xenophobia.
    The SVP was behind last year's referendum that imposed a ban on the building of Islamic minarets. That decision was condemned by human rights groups and foreign governments.

Should Ireland do the same,The benefit fraud is an intesting one as it seems to be abused here quite easily,

In reality Yes, Ireland could try and do the same but in all honesty Switzerland don't have the IMF , ECB in town not to talk of taking bilateral loans from the UK, Sweden and Denmark..

Technically Switzerland are not bound by a lot of the EU human rights regulations...fairplay to them but I will be thinking of sorting things in-house first and foremost...

Victor wrote: »
    Actually, some people are just deported.Care to rephrase?

No, because my comment relates to the stance held by Dubai authorities with regards to expats/foreigners, not MY opinion of foreigners.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Especially if one of them only has to go as far as Offaly, although some may consider that to be worse than the death penalty.

Whats that supposed to mean?

For your information I left the ME of my own free will because i disliked the falseness of the whole place, and the lack of human rights, and i didnt want to raise my daughter in that kind of environment. We tried it and hated it.
    We only lived there because of my husbands work, and unfortunately due to the economic situation here, he is still working out there cos he cant get a job back here.

So maybe you shouldnt make snap judgements about people based on one post, and a quick location check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

realies wrote: »

Maybe all countries should do the same, no point just saying Ireland, or would it be a one way thing i.e. we send them back but we won't take our own back??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Swiss Cheese is too holey, and I'm Atheist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

+1 but that does'nt mean the non nationals should get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats that got to do with anything? We have to keep our own criminals, why keep (and pay for)ones we dont have to though?

Wonder will they still hold on to Roman Polanski?

KINGVictor wrote: »
    In reality Yes, Ireland could try and do the same but in all honesty Switzerland don't have the IMF , ECB in town not to talk of taking bilateral loans from the UK, Sweden and Denmark..

We've been making our own rules for the best part of 90 years, the IMF are here a few days.We've been pandering to rent -a -hippies for years.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats that got to do with anything? We have to keep out own criminals, why keep (and pay for)ones we dont have to though?

Wonder will they still hold on to Roman Polanski?

I agree, so maybe a European policy, which would also see Irish been sent back?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree, so maybe a European policy, which would also see Irish been sent back?

I wouldnt bother waiting for Europe tbh. Set up our own rule and let others worry about what they want to do. Irish criminals abroad are the problem of the country they are in until they decide what to do with them

I wouldnt bother waiting for Europe tbh. Set up our own rule and let others worry about what they want to do. Irish criminals abroad are the problem of the country they are in until they decide what to do with them

True am sure other countries would feel the same, just hope we don't start complaining if other countries implement the same policy, just like during the "Celtic Tiger" when we started contributing to the European fund ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.

stovelid wrote: »
    A few dole frauds and non-national criminals wouldn't exactly be in my Deportation Greatest Hits at the moment but do keep on obsessing with the easy targets if you haven't been watching the news recently.

Why not weed out a few easy targets?

They are easy afterall.

Are we only botherign with a certain level of criminal now?Petty crime is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Too right. The only people who should be allowed emigrate to another country are those who will benefit the country. Send those who are a liability home straight away, other than asylum seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why not weed out a few easy targets?

They are easy afterall.

Are we only botherign with a certain level of criminal now?Petty crime is ok?

Not at all but I have priorities.

I also assume it's a bilateral agreement insofar as Irish people get immediately deported from the States or the UK for, say, working cash in hand?

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Whats that supposed to mean?

For your information I left the ME of my own free will because i disliked the falseness of the whole place, and the lack of human rights, and i didnt want to raise my daughter in that kind of environment. We tried it and hated it.
    We only lived there because of my husbands work, and unfortunately due to the economic situation here, he is still working out there cos he cant get a job back here.

So maybe you shouldnt make snap judgements about people based on one post, and a quick location check.

I wasn't actually replying to your post, so don't get so fizzed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I fukking love Switzerland.

Advertisement