Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowley leaves ALDE - next to leave FF?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 speed_gun

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil are only with that group because the Blueshirts got the jump on them and joined the main Christian Democrat group first. Obviously this group would have suited Fianna Fáil just as well but they had to join the ECR to maintain the illusion that they're in any way different from the other crowd.

Regards Crowley himself, why do people love him so much I wonder? He flies it in every election for some reason. Then again maybe I'm biased against him because he suggested I was a terrorist during a UCC debate years ago.

irish people ( and voters ) are incredibly sentimental

why do you think the man is so popular !

ive never heard him deliver one notable speech or sentance in my entire life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

speed_gun wrote: »
    irish people ( and voters ) are incredibly sentimental

why do you think the man is so popular !

I wouldn't say that either like. He's well able to speak and he's definitely an amiable dude.

I still think he's a langer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

speed_gun wrote: »

He destroyed Ryan Tubridy (a fellow FF'er) with a one liner on the Late Late Show a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I cannot understand why he gets such a high vote. With his surplus he should have brought in his running mate. He did not.

His attendance in Europe at "roll calls" is less than 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

To paraphrase Monty Python, "well I didn't vote for him."

I never would have considered FF to exactly be liberal, but this is just taking the piss. I'd say even FF would be right to be rid of him.

pajor wrote: »
    To quote Monty Python, "well I didn't vote for him."

I never would have considered FF to exactly be liberal, but this is just taking the piss. I'd say even FF would be right to be rid of him.

They might. But, how could "live it down", no FF MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

raymon wrote: »
    Really just formalizing the decision Crowley himself made. The only way Crowley could have retained the whip would be FF itself realigning itself with the ECR which, of course, was not going to happen.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Really just formalizing the decision Crowley himself made. The only way Crowley could have retained the whip would be FF itself realigning itself with the ECR which, of course, was not going to happen.

I disagree. It was Michael Martins way of expelling him but not taking the blame. Again showing lack of leadership.

He couldnt exactly expel a man going through a major operation in Cork. It wouldnt look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I disagree. It was Michael Martins way of expelling him but not taking the blame. Again showing lack of leadership.

He couldnt exactly expel a man going through a major operation in Cork. It wouldnt look good.

Martin not able to make the hard decisions.....

• Advertisement

Just heard Martin on the News. Crowley has left the party himself. The Chief Whip said something similar.

Let us say politics is a shambles in this country.

Look at the TDs we have voted in over the years.

airuser wrote: »
    Just heard Martin on the News. Crowley has left the party himself. The Chief Whip said something similar.

Let us say politics is a shambles in this country.

Look at the TDs we have voted in over the years.

I saw that interview with Michael Martin. Martin looked like a broken man. He is spinning this to look like Crowley left himself, that is not the truth at all. Martin didnt want to be seen to be expelling a guy who is undergoing a major operation. He wanted to pin the blame back on Crowley himself.

That is the way Fianna Fail operate - with a sneaky edge.

Martin is a very poor leader of FF - I hope he is leader for a very long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair, Michael Martin cannot expel somebody from Fianna Fail, that is the prerogative of the National Executive. He has arranged for him to lost the whip, and the next step (provided Crowley doesn't resign fully) is to go to National Executive (100 members) and ask them to vote on it (needs 2/3 majority).

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, Michael Martin cannot expel somebody from Fianna Fail, that is the prerogative of the National Executive. He has arranged for him to lost the whip, and the next step (provided Crowley doesn't resign fully) is to go to National Executive (100 members) and ask them to vote on it (needs 2/3 majority).

Exactly :
    "He has arranged for him to lose the whip" = "He has expelled him from the parliamentary party "

But he couldnt say that .... not brave enough

Exactly :
    "He has arranged for him to lose the whip" = "He has expelled him from the parliamentary party "

But he couldnt say that .... not brave enough

No back bone in Irish Politics, On either side .
    It is all about power, not country or the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Martin really doesn't want to give him up.
    But he also states:
    "He said that fundamentaly, a party has to stand for ideas, policies and for principals and Mr Crowley's decision had been a step too far."
    He does know he's in Fianna Fáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think Crowley should resign his seat.
    Its obvious this decision was made before the election but he waited until after the election to go public with it.
    He has fooled voters that he was going on a ticket for both party's(knowing FF had to jettison him) but had no intention of remaining with them,so he fraudulently represented himself to his constituency .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

What bugs me about this FF move is it has NOTHING to do with FF in the Euro Parliament.

Brian is not an FF representative in that Parliament, in fact no one represents one's local party in that assembly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

tipptom wrote: »
    Its obvious this decision was made before the election but he waited until after the election to go public with it.
    He has fooled voters that he was going on a ticket for both party's(knowing FF had to jettison him) but had no intention of remaining with them,so he fraudulently represented himself to his constituency .

Ask yourself are you really surprised that a top Fianna fail politician would do sometbing like this?

If FF had anything to do with it, I'd agree, but the EU is none party and he can't speak for or represent FF, he can only speak for his Munster Constituents.

That's the simplicity of the EU, it's not a another Dáil and is in fact designed to break local party politics. :)

• Advertisement

Crowley hasnt been a real Fianna Fail man since Cowen forced MEPs into the liberal grouping. He was embarrassed to be in FF and hid the logo from view where possible.

Crowleys vote was a personal one. Not a Fianna Fail one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Crowley hasnt been a real Fianna Fail man since Cowen forced MEPs into the liberal grouping. He was embarrassed to be in FF and hid the logo from view where possible.

Crowleys vote was a personal one. Not a Fianna Fail one at all.
    But that's my point but he obviously thought it was more advantageous to misrepresent himself under the FF banner until after the election which to me seem to be fraudulently representing yourself as something he was quiet clearly not.
    There must have been a massive percentage of his vote from FF voters.
    He should have ran as an independent which would have been the honest thing to do,what he pulled here is clearly dishonest.

But that's my point but he obviously thought it was more advantageous to misrepresent himself under the FF banner

He was going to be an MEP for MUNSTER.

I think he will make a great peoples' representative. When the dust settles I suspect he'd get a triple quota next week when people actually understand what he has done.

Red Nissan wrote: »

I think he will make a great peoples' representative. When the dust settles I suspect he'd get a triple quota next week when people actually understand what he has done.

How can he be a good rep when he only attends less then 50% of the roll call in the EU

WHAT has he done?

airuser wrote: »
    How can he be a good rep when he only attends less then 50% of the roll call in the EU

WHAT has he done?

Bent his back under an FF whip?

But that's my point but he obviously thought it was more advantageous to misrepresent himself under the FF banner until after the election which to me seem to be fraudulently representing yourself as something he was quiet clearly not.
    There must have been a massive percentage of his vote from FF voters.
    He should have ran as an independent which would have been the honest thing to do,what he pulled here is clearly dishonest.

It was clear he wasnt true Fianna Fail. Did you not see his leaflets or his website or his campaign car. I mentioned this three years ago on boards. Three years ago it was blindly obvious he had become detached from the main party.All the FF reps on here didnt listen to me.

My point was that there was no real Fianna Fail "banner". He was embarrassed to put FF on anything. Who would blame him.

Fianna Fail just wanted to bask in his reflected glory. A symbiotic relationship of sorts

We really do deserve the politicians that we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Red Nissan wrote: »

But he stood as a Fianna Fáil candidate. If he wanted to be an independent he should have had the courage of his convictions and stood as an independent, like Ming, Marian Harkin or Nessa Childers. (Except, of course, that this farce has nothing to do with conviction, nor indeeed representing Munster, but is apparently just a grubby manouevre to secure cushy EU numbers for his staff.)

Here is a post from 2011 . I cant believe i was the only one who saw this coming. Fianna Fail were embarrasing to him in 2011 too.
    I just looked at Brian crowleys website. He has removed all trace of FF logos except a tiny FF logo at the bottom.

In fact his biography doesn't even mention FF .

WWW.briancrowleymep.ie/about/

He must have been very ashamed to have been affiliated with FF

Well done Brian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Can anyone tell me even one thing this man has achieved in Europe?

Advertisement