Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowley leaves ALDE - next to leave FF?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

According to RTE Brian Crowley has left the ALDE grouping in Europe and made Michael Martin "furious".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0623/625874-fianna-fail-europe/

This coupled with Crowley's solo run at the election and his Fianna Fail logo getting smaller and smaller on his webpage (now a tiny blip at the bottom of his page http://briancrowleymep.ie ) could make someone think that he may be moving further away from the main party.

Is he also about to leave Fianna Fail to become an Independent ?

In any case if the RTE story is true that this is a solo run - this makes Michael Martin again look very weak , in addition to the weak leadership he showed in the recent Collins and Hanafin debacles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's a fairly hard right euro sceptic grouping isn't it? True Finns and that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ECR contains the Tories and UUP. Maybe FF are now admitting to their true colours and are going to stop with this charade that they've a social conscience!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fianna Fáil are only with that group because the Blueshirts got the jump on them and joined the main Christian Democrat group first. Obviously this group would have suited Fianna Fáil just as well but they had to join the ECR to maintain the illusion that they're in any way different from the other crowd.

Regards Crowley himself, why do people love him so much I wonder? He flies it in every election for some reason. Then again maybe I'm biased against him because he suggested I was a terrorist during a UCC debate years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

In other news Ming joined SF in the parliaments communist block.

Good old communism.... Still knocking around.

Shame Ming didn't tell the voters this before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It's nice to see Michael Martin exercising his authority over FF in this way. Looks like they are going to sanction or expel their only MEP. I mean they have to or else they won't be considered as a coalition partner by the Sinners in two years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He (Micháel) had better expel Crowley. As much as it would hurt to lose your MEP, it's better to actually have principles and stick to them.

Will it happen? I don't think so, he'll probably lose the whip (whatever that means for the 1 MEP) or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

dulpit wrote: »
    He (Micháel) had better expel Crowley. As much as it would hurt to lose your MEP, it's better to actually have principles and stick to them.

Will it happen? I don't think so, he'll probably lose the whip (whatever that means for the 1 MEP) or similar.

Failure to do so would make Martin look very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Failure to do so would make Martin look very weak.
    He looks weak either way , he is not going to expel one of his best vote getters.

Apparently FF gave him a six figure sum to fund his campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Martin won't touch him. You'll get a little bluster and nothing more. Fianna Fail won't risk losing a position of power at home or abroad under any circumstances. Crowley knows this, which is why it seems he didn't even consult with party HQ before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil are only with that group because the Blueshirts got the jump on them and joined the main Christian Democrat group first. Obviously this group would have suited Fianna Fáil just as well but they had to join the ECR to maintain the illusion that they're in any way different from the other crowd.

Regards Crowley himself, why do people love him so much I wonder? He flies it in every election for some reason. Then again maybe I'm biased against him because he suggested I was a terrorist during a UCC debate years ago.

He's a fool who fell off the roof of his school - sympathy.

• Advertisement

Michael Martin must be on holidays.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

raymon wrote: »
    Michael Martin must be on holidays.........

If he didn't have the balls to sanction Niall Collins, he ain't going to touch Crowley!

Martin is on borrowed time I'd say!

If he didn't have the balls to sanction Niall Collins, he ain't going to touch Crowley!

Martin is on borrowed time I'd say!

I hope Martin stays - he is doing us all a favour by representing Fianna Fail in such a weak manner

Looking through Crowleys literature is confusing - does the "F" stand for facebook or Fianna Fail? http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/tag/brian-crowley/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

According to RTE Brian Crowley has left the ALDE grouping in Europe and made Michael Martin "furious".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0623/625874-fianna-fail-europe/

This coupled with Crowley's solo run at the election and his Fianna Fail logo getting smaller and smaller on his webpage (now a tiny blip at the bottom of his page http://briancrowleymep.ie ) could make someone think that he may be moving further away from the main party.

Is he also about to leave Fianna Fail to become an Independent ?

In any case if the RTE story is true that this is a solo run - this makes Michael Martin again look very weak , in addition to the weak leadership he showed in the recent Collins and Hanafin debacles.

Apparently its to do with two staff. Apparently.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brian-crowley-joins-tory-led-eurosceptic-alliance-1.1842335

Nodin wrote: »

Good to see he's so willing to sacrifice his principles and end up in a grouping with the bloody DUP for the sake of one staff member, which I'm sure he could pay for himself with his handsome salary, expenses and Seanad pension...

He may be expelled by end of the day

Popcorn time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Revenge for refusing to let him run for the presidency and his move on the FF leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In other news Ming joined SF in the parliaments communist block.

Good old communism.... Still knocking around.

Shame Ming didn't tell the voters this before the election.

Is that true. I never liked him and certainly didn't vote for him. Tbh, I was flabbergasted at how he topped the poll. I think many voted for him because he was the only name they recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

dulpit wrote: »
    Good to see he's so willing to sacrifice his principles and end up in a grouping with the bloody DUP for the sake of one staff member, which I'm sure he could pay for himself with his handsome salary, expenses and Seanad pension...

This decision should 100% be a party decision and not part of any other negotiations. The Party overall should identify the groupings most suited to their policies and then appropriately align, I do realise that they are somewhat restricted due to FG being in the mix also.

To allow Crowley completely decide this for the Party is ludicrous. That is the stuff that happens with independents.

I never got what the big deal with Crowley was anyway, why is he so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually forget about FF for the moment. Crowley has shown total disrespect for the people that elected him. They expected him to be aligned to one group and now he has jumped to a totally different crowd. I am not in his constituency but I did choose who to vote for based on the group that they were aligned with in Europe and its stated policies. Crowley has effectively conned his constituents with this action. I don't see how Martin has any option but to expel him from the party.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Actually forget about FF for the moment. Crowley has shown total disrespect for the people that elected him. They expected him to be aligned to one group and now he has jumped to a totally different crowd. I am not in his constituency but I did choose who to vote for based on the group that they were aligned with in Europe and its stated policies. Crowley has effectively conned his constituents with this action. I don't see how Martin has any option but to expel him from the party.

I disagree. I think that only about 1% of voters could even name an EU political grouping not to mind be able to name their policies or core values.

I agree that Martin should expel him though. Just because he is giving a very public two fingers to the weak leader.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Revenge for refusing to let him run for the presidency and his move on the FF leadership

More so setting himself up for the next presidential election. We won't feel it coming around!

Well, I don't think the majority of voters necessarily voted for him because he was going to be a member of a quite eurosceptic group led largely by the British Tory Party though.

The Tory/UUP stance wouldn't really sit well with say a lot of Irish farmers who are quite pro CAP funding.

I think it's a little bit of a sweeping assumption to make that only 1% would be aware of the EU party groupings. They'd certainly be aware of what more Tory-style policies on agriculture mean, even if they couldn't name the party groupings in the parliament they'd have a fair idea of where FF stands on such things.

More so setting himself up for the next presidential election. We won't feel it coming around!

I agree - he wants to put more distance between himself and Fianna Fail to make sure the FF sullied brand doesn't sink his chances.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think it's a little bit of a sweeping assumption to make that only 1% would be aware of the EU party groupings. They'd certainly be aware of what more Tory-style policies on agriculture mean, even if they couldn't name the party groupings in the parliament they'd have a fair idea of where FF stands on such things.

I stand by my 1% estimate . Do you think more than this would be able to name the top 5 groupings without going to Google?

Having a fair idea with where FF stands - That's a totally different thing.

( I personally don't believe that FF know where they stand themselves so would doubt this too )

I stand by my 1% estimate . Do you think more than this would be able to name the top 5 groupings without going to Google?

Having a fair idea with where FF stands - That's a totally different thing.

( I personally don't believe that FF know where they stand themselves so would doubt this too )

You'd certainly get to one or two with some people. I don't think anyone other than people working in the EP or doing PhDs on it could name 5…

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You'd certainly get to one or two with some people. I don't think anyone other than people working in the EP or doing PhDs on it could name 5…

That's my point - this has nothing to do with political groupings and the man on the street . The man on the street doesn't know about political groupings and doesn't care.

This is about FF pumping a "six figure sum" into Crowleys campaign ( one would assume 100,000 euro or higher) . FF will have nothing to show for this money if they expel him.

On another note - what a waste of money anyway - lets assume they spend 100,000 on all six candidates that's at least 600,000 euro down the Fianna Fail toilet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Whether he is a PP member or not, Crowley is not going to stop doing the work on the ground for FF representatives. He has been supporting independent FF'ers alongside the FF elected representatives for a long time now. If he loses the whip then he will be outside of the PP, but it is not as if he towed the line for the leadership over the last 20 years anyway. Meh not much will change tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is micheal martin still in hiding after the niall Collins debacle?

• Advertisement

Whether he is a PP member or not, Crowley is not going to stop doing the work on the ground for FF representatives. He has been supporting independent FF'ers alongside the FF elected representatives for a long time now. If he loses the whip then he will be outside of the PP, but it is not as if he towed the line for the leadership over the last 20 years anyway. Meh not much will change tbh.

I live in Cork and hear from Brian Crowley only in European election cycles, then he goes back and hides wherever he goes. At least in the last parliament Sean Kelly & Phil Prendergast were somewhat present in the media, but never Crowley.

Kick him out, good riddance...

Advertisement