Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claim: 'Kyiv is the mother of all Russian Cities'

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    If you think that politicians in the US and the EU are in any way comparable to their counterparts in Russia, and to a lesser extend at least in financial terms, in Ukraine, then I suggest that you don't know what corruption is.
    recedite wrote: »
    Mik Heil Saakashvili; [...] Vitali Klitschko; Champion kickboxer turned politician. Maidan protester, and favours closer alignment with EU and Nato.
    stevejazzx wrote: »
    [...] the tendency to focus on Russia is less as you'll find far greater problems elsewhere as Recedite elucidated a couple pages back.
    At this point I was going to try and discuss the different levels of corruption in the EU and US and Russia, but I can't think of any way of doing it that doesn't ultimately sound like Father Ted explaining the difference between small/far away and big/near.
    that unhelpful, untrue and unquenchable reach-for-the-godwin is what I'd like to see an end to.
    Even after drawing attention to it, the pro-Russian don't seem to be able to post squat without godwinning themselves - even recedite's one-sided note managed to call Saakashvili "Mik Heil" - classy!

Putin's radicalization has succeeded. He must be thrilled, or at least as thrilled as somebody with his emotional range can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Both of your examples ended up conflicting with Putin to a large degree. Putin was responsible for initiating investigations into both of them but his primary reason would appear to be because he disagreed/conflicted with them rather than for dealing with corruption.

110 people currently hold 35% of the nation's wealth, many of these people have gained their wealth through highly corrupt means such as Abramovich who does not conflict with Putin so has remained conviction free. Then there's Putin's wealth which is believed to be in the tens of billions. This was acquired through his position and basically becoming a shareholder in his recently privatised gas network.
    All of the major players, including Putin, benefited from the sell-off of soviet state assets during the Yeltsin period. At the time Putin was not particularly influential, but he was savvy. The oil company Putin's money comes from is believed to be Surgutneftegas, which dates back to 1993. Abramovich's money also dates back to this time (Sibneft 1995)
    It was only later that the the oligarchs, mainly Berezovsky, persuaded Yeltzin to select Putin as his successor, thinking that Putin would an ideal man to keep the gravy train rolling along.

But as soon as Putin became president, he started to reverse the nationalisation process, causing him to fall out with Berezovsky and certain other oligarchs.
    Khodorkovsky's oil company was essentially seized by the state, on tax evasion grounds, and the assets are now owned by Rosneft, which is majority state owned, something like Statoil in Norway.

Those who were "pilfering" from the semi-state Gazprom were fired, and the state regained control of it. This is a reasonable summary of Gazprom from wiki;

1993–1997: Privatisation
    Gazprom's political influence increased significantly after the new Russian President Boris Yeltsin appointed the company's chairman Chernomyrdin as his Prime Minister in December 1992. Rem Viakhirev took Chernomyrdin's place as Chairman both of the Board of Directors and of the Managing Committee.[5]
    The new government was eager to introduce economic reforms and began to privatize Gazprom. Following the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of 5 November 1992 and the Resolution of the Government of Russia of 17 February 1993, the organization became a joint-stock company and started to distribute shares under the voucher method: every Russian citizen received vouchers to purchase shares of formerly state-owned companies. By 1994, 33% of the Gazprom's shares had been bought by 747,000 members of the public, mostly in exchange for the vouchers. 15% of the stock was also purchased and allocated to Gazprom employees. The state retained 40% of the shares, but the amount was gradually lowered to 38%.[5] Trading of Gazprom's shares was heavily regulated, and the by-laws of the company prohibited foreigners from owning more than 9% of the shares.
    Gazprom slowly established credibility in the western capital markets with an offering of one percent of its equity to foreigners in October 1996 in the form of Global Depository Receipts and a successful large bond issue of US$2.5 billion in 1997.

1998–2000: Tax evasion and asset-stripping
    As the Prime Minister of Russia, Chernomyrdin ensured that the state did not closely regulate Gazprom. The company evaded taxes on a large scale, and the state received little money in the form of dividends. The management and board members launched a massive asset-stripping, and Gazprom's property was parceled out to them and their relatives. Some of the largest stripped assets were transferred to the controversial gas-trading company Itera. Chernomyrdin and Gazprom's CEO Rem Viakhirev were leading figures in the process.[7]
    In March 1998, for reasons unrelated to Gazprom, Yeltsin fired Chernomyrdin from his position as Prime Minister.[8] On 30 June 1998 Chernomyrdin returned to the company as the chairman of the board of directors.

2000–2003: The Putin reforms
    Gazprom's situation changed abruptly in June 2000, when Vladimir Putin became the President of Russia. Putin launched a campaign to rein in the oligarchs. Per his policy of the so-called national champions, he strengthened state control in strategic companies.[9] He launched an attack against what he saw as mismanagement and personal pilfering of state assets. After coming to power, Putin immediately fired Chernomyrdin from his position as the chairman of the company's board and used the stock owned by the state to vote out Vyakhirev. The two men were replaced by Dmitry Medvedev and Alexei Miller, who had previously worked with Putin in Saint Petersburg.[9] Putin's actions were aided by shareholder activism of Hermitage CEO William Browder and former Russian finance minister Boris Fyodorov. Miller and Medvedev were assigned the task to stop the asset-stripping, and also to regain lost possessions. By denying Itera access to Gazprom's pipelines, Miller almost forced Itera to declare bankruptcy. As a result, Itera's management agreed to sell the stolen assets back to Gazprom.

2005–2006: Establishment of government control
    In June 2005, Gazprombank, Gazpromivest Holding, Gazfond and Gazprom Finance B. V., subsidiaries of Gazprom, agreed to sell a 10.7399% share to the state-owned company Rosneftegaz for $7 billion, at what some western analysts viewed as an undervalued price.[11] The sale was to be completed by 25 December 2005, which, combined with the 38% share of the State Property Committee, gave the Russian government control over the company.[12]
    As the Russian state had acquired a controlling share, it removed the 20% restriction on foreign investment in Gazprom, and the company became fully open to foreign investors
    I suppose you could argue that if Putin were to take this "de-nationalisation" process to its logical conclusion, he should hand his own oil interests over to the state too. And also seize those of Abramovich. But maybe he believes that in some cases, they have built up their companies over the years through their own personal initiative, even if they did get their start during the great Yeltzin sell-off.

In other words, he did not agree with the sell-off, nor was he responsible for it, but he understood at the time what was happening and how to profit from it. Is that corrupt?

In other words, he did not agree with the sell-off, nor was he responsible for it, but he understood at the time what was happening and how to profit from it. Is that corrupt?
    In a libertarian sense, no, of course it's neither corrupt nor even mildly dishonest - cash is cash and that's the beginning and the end of it.

Less amoral worldviews take a different line. While the principle of at least certain parts of the sell-off was arguably fair enough, the implementation of the sell-off was beyond criminal and anybody who profited in any non-trivial way from it is, as far as I'm concerned, almost certainly criminal themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

At this point I was going to try and discuss the different levels of corruption in the EU and US and Russia, but I can't think of any way of doing it that doesn't ultimately sound like Father Ted explaining the difference between small/far away and big/near.

Your Father Ted remark raised a smile but upon immediate reflection wouldn't seem to be concurrent with the point you were attempting to make i.e that Russia corruption dwarfs that of the US and EU.
    Ironically the FT remark addresses perspective - the exact thing you appear to lack in this debate.
    Back on to your original point however I am absolutely fascinated to hear of the Russian corruption that will dwarf the Iraq weapons of mass destruction scandal, the NSA, Guantanamo Bay, rendition flights, the financial crisis etc.

robin wrote:
    Even after drawing attention to it, the pro-Russian don't seem to be able to post squat without godwinning themselves - even recedite's one-sided note managed to call Saakashvili "Mik Heil" - classy!

Pro-Russian? Hmm..seems that you're laying a foundation from which to grow straw men.
    My constant unending point is perspective so pro-Russian or pro-US or pro Ukrainian are all bad starting points as they immediately lose objectivity. But hey what good would the debate be if everyone listened to one another? People would have to write much longer replies when ad hominem attacks or simply writing someone would be easier.
    robin wrote:
    Putin's radicalization has succeeded. He must be thrilled, or at least as thrilled as somebody with his emotional range can get.

The radical center left who dare challenge western motives?
    Your last post is fastest dismissal in the history of debate - you have in my estimation lost some high ground last few pages - so a retort calling us all Putinists isn't going to cut it.
    Come on lets hear about this great unmatched Russian corruption.

[...] Russia corruption dwarfs that of the US and EU [...]
    Yes, the percentage of national output in Russia wasted on corruption far exceeds what's normal here. As somebody no doubt once said, in Russia corruption isn't a problem with the system, it is the system.
    Your last post is fastest dismissal in the history of debate [...]
    You should hang around here more often - I think i was quite restrained :)

More seriously, you're wrong to imply there's two sides to this debate. There aren't, as there are far more. There is a POV which the Russian government puts forward and that has the benefit of simplicity and consistency, but at the expense of accuracy and honesty. I can't find any very consistent single position put forward by the Ukrainian government who, most of the time, behave like a bunch of amateurs (but are improving slowly). There's a POV from most of the EU governments which is, most of the time, as foresightful as Chamberlain and about as well-informed.

And then there's an accurate view of where we are, and where we could be and few people indeed seem to have any worthwhile thoughts on that - Radek Sikorsky and Carl Bildt, the FM's of Poland and Sweden respectively being two notable, honorable exceptions to the unending mass of mediocrity.

To dismiss my POV as "compartmentalized" "EU/US propaganda" as some have suggested is to indicate a fairly dismal understanding of both my POV and the different POV's of the EU and US governments. But then again, that lack of understanding is, so far as I can see, part of the problem that everybody's grappling with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The radical center left who dare challenge western motives?
    Your last post is fastest dismissal in the history of debate - you have in my estimation lost some high ground last few pages - so a retort calling us all Putinists isn't going to cut it.

Yeah...I doubt the LGBT people being hunted by gangs of thugs would call Putin "centre-left".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think this discussion would be far more interesting if those defending Putin pointed out the problems they perceived socially with Russia.

Those on the 'other side' can point the U.S. social flaws.

(Although it is pretty clear that neither side thinks the U.S. is an ideal to strive for.)

.....and ability to discern likely western propaganda. At that stage one can present unbiased information and opinion. .

Propaganda by Chomsky; anyone disagree?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmoXze-Higc

Here's a timely one, I believe the largest ever fine levied against a government for corruption.

In a judgement issued today, the the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration has ordered the Russian state to pay a little over $51 billion dollars to the former shareholders of Yukos, the now-defunct oil company which Putin and his government subjected to a range of state-sponsored harassment and theft. The full text of the judgement is here.

This Reuters article summarizes the case briefly:
    Reuters wrote:
    The panel of judges, which has been reviewing the case since 2005, concluded that officials under President Vladimir Putin had manipulated the legal system to bankrupt Yukos. "Yukos was the object of a series of politically motivated attacks by the Russian authorities that eventually led to its destruction," the court said. "The primary objective of the Russian Federation was not to collect taxes but rather to bankrupt Yukos and appropriate its valuable assets."

• Advertisement

That is funny alright, I had only posted a few days ago that "Khodorkovsky's oil company was essentially seized by the state". It all happened a few years ago, but the timing of the investigation/judgement is interesting given the current whipping up of anti-Putin sentiment by Obama and Cameron in their media soundbytes.
    There is of course no chance that the Russian Federation will pay this fine.

It begs an interesting question though. Suppose you are against the "corrupt practice" whereby State assets (which have been built up over many years by all the citizens) are privatised, thereby enriching a few well connected oligarchs.
    What if someone comes to power who reverses that process? Are they corrupt? "Privately owned" oil assets were seized and nationalised in many countries over the years, eg in Iran and numerous South American countries.
    The process is always declared to be unlawful by those who represent the interests of the multinational corporations.

Anyway, if some of the gas and oil fields around the our coasts were seized by the State I would be the first to cheer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

That is funny alright, I had only posted a few days ago that "Khodorkovsky's oil company was essentially seized by the state". It all happened a few years ago, but the timing of the investigation/judgement is interesting given the current whipping up of anti-Putin sentiment by Obama and Cameron in their media soundbytes.
    There is of course no chance that the Russian Federation will pay this fine.

It begs an interesting question though. Suppose you are against the "corrupt practice" whereby State assets (which have been built up over many years by all the citizens) are privatised, thereby enriching a few well connected oligarchs.
    What if someone comes to power who reverses that process? Are they corrupt? "Privately owned" oil assets were seized and nationalised in many countries over the years, eg in Iran and numerous South American countries.
    The process is always declared to be unlawful by those who represent the interests of the multinational corporations.

Anyway, if some of the gas and oil fields around the our coasts were seized by the State I would be the first to cheer.

Are you assuming that the court arbitrating in the Hague is corrupt?

(Also.... What oil fields around our coast?)
    The gas fields are gov property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Tell us again, why is "the west" so against a referendum in Crimea, but a referendum in Scotland is a sign of "true democracy" for the UK? I don't think the English will get to vote on Scottish sovereignty either?
    Fair play to the Russians for keeping the peace there so effectively in the meantime. If only the UN could/would do that in these situations.

What has this OP got to do with Atheism and Agnosticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

hinault wrote: »

Perhaps it's Putin's close ties with the Russian Orthodox Church, leading to the criminalisation of blasphemy in Russia.

You'd be better off asking Recedite, as he's the original poster.

I didn't start this thread, believe it or not :)
    It started by itself miraculously, after a schism in another thread.
    Are you assuming that the court arbitrating in the Hague is corrupt?
    Not corrupt, but sometimes the legalistic approach of lawyers fails to "see the wood for the trees". Lets say, hypothetically speaking, I broke into a Swiss bank, and found some gold bars there that had come from the melted down teeth and personal effects of murdered jews in the 1940's. I might take the gold and distribute it to charities. That would be unlawful.

Secondly, the Hague are only inviting ridicule by this judgement. Why not fine Cuba a couple of billion for stealing all those casinos and villas in Havana back in the revolution? Plenty of Cuban expats in Miami would like that, but the rest of the world would just laugh.
    Next time the Hague are involved in some human rights case, their authority will seem to have a little less respect than it should.
    (Also.... What oil fields around our coast?)
    The gas fields are gov property

Its mostly gas, but there is oil too.
    I'm not necessarily suggesting the state should seize the particular oilfield in the link at this time. But in general, I think we should adopt the Norwegian approach; don't be in any great hurry to extract it, maintain majority State control, and think several generations ahead. Most of their revenues are ploughed back into education health and social services. Everyone is pretty well off as a result, but no-one is disgustingly rich. Future generations of Norwegians will inherit a resource, not a debt.
    Yes, I am aware that prospectors spend a lot of money looking for oil and gas before they find it, and have a right to make a profit etc etc...
    so I won't be dragging the thread off-topic to go into all that. Suffice it to say that the Irish people do not get a good deal when they buy back their own natural resources from private enterprise. And Ray Burke.

Mod: This is a spin off thread of an off topic spin-off thread of an off topic thread. So it's perfectly on topic for this thread. It's a discussion that developed in this community in the same way biscuits has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Turtwig wrote: »

Mod: This is a spin off thread of an off topic spin-off thread of an off topic thread. So it's perfectly on topic for this thread. It's a discussion that developed in this community in the same way biscuits has.

Unless the question was asked, the reader would be none the wiser.

The thread title, and the section where this thread is in on first reading, has no connection whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply anyhow

Never judge a book by its cover ;)

And that other ECHR judgement has just been issued - the Russian government has been hit with a fine of $2.5 billlion fine related to state-level corruption in the Yukos affair:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28579980

Been a bad week for Putin.

And that other ECHR judgement has just been issued - the Russian government has been hit with a fine of $2.5 billlion fine related to state-level corruption in the Yukos affair:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28579980

Been a bad week for Putin.

From the timing of these awards it certainly highlights the extent and influence of the US across the EU.
    The awarded amount is already totally unprecedented in the human rights field," said Jan Kleinheisterkamp, associate professor of law at the London School of Economics.

"The 1.9bn euros is humongous in terms of compensation granted by the European Court of Human Rights

From the timing of these awards it certainly highlights the extent and influence of the US across the EU.
    What exactly do you mean? These judgments have been in the works for years and were, I believe, scheduled to appear around now.

Are you suggesting that the US has compromised the judicial independence of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the European Court of Human Rights?

• Advertisement

Russia set to appeal.
    Though I don't think the facts of the case are really in dispute. The shareholders are claiming that their oil company was seized by Rosneft, acting as an agent of the State, which is true.
    Lawyers said that if Russia does not voluntarily accept the ruling, it can be forcibly enforced by shareholders seizing assets abroad.
    Konstantin Lukoyanov of global law firm Linklaters said: "If it is accepted, it can be carried out voluntarily, or it will be implemented forcibly.
    "In that case the seizure of assets abroad is possible. There have been several similar cases."
    Similar cases where assets have been seized have usually involved the dismantling of "a pariah state" such as Libya, where the leader ended up with a bullet in the head. But as this "dismantling" is unlikely to happen to Russia, any seizure of state assets could in theory be met with a robust tit-for-tat seizure of EU assets, such as Volkswagen factories located in Russia. I don't see this as a likely outcome, therefore some climbdown by those pushing for the fines will have to occur.

What exactly do you mean? These judgments have been in the works for years and were, I believe, scheduled to appear around now.

Are you suggesting that the US has compromised the judicial independence of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the European Court of Human Rights?

I think that diplomatically and politically its possible that the timing of these awards might be correlated with pressure on the EU, from the US, to toughen its stance against Russia and to fast track Russian sanctions. In this climate of extreme Russophobia, the one the US has created, it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility that decisions/awards scheduled for a bit later have been released now.
    Also in the case of the 2.5 billion human rights award the amount may be related in some way to Russia's current status rather than just exclusively the case at hand.
    Makes you wonder what kind of potential humans rights awards could be awarded against both Russia and the US in relation to war crimes.

We also have the public inquiry into the polonium poisoning case of former MI5/KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko starting this week, after 8 years in the preparation.
    It would be a truly amazing co-inky-dinks if all 3 events just happened to coincide with the week they are announcing the sanctions against Russia.
    In his opening statement, Mr Owen praised Mr Litvinenko's widow, Marina Litvinenko, for her patience in the face of "highly regrettable" delays....

The case threatens to increase tensions with Moscow amid the crisis in Ukraine....

When asked if she thought last week's announcement was due to the strained political situation with Russia, Ms Litvinenko said the political situation may have been a contributing factor, but she did not think there had been any "political involvement" in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's also possible that I'll win the next Euromillions, and Richard Dawkins will convert to wahabbi Islam in the morning. Possible but extremely unlikely - unless one has evidence to the contrary?

Scrap the cap!

Possible but extremely unlikely - unless one has evidence to the contrary?

Evidence that its impossible?

That's a tricky one alright.

Perhaps in the absence of evidence, one should desist from such improbable claims.

This is the atheism and agnosticism forum after all...

Scrap the cap!

Evidence that its impossible?

That's a tricky one alright.

Not what I asked you, but nice try I suppose.

Scrap the cap!

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Perhaps in the absence of evidence, one should desist from such improbable claims.

This is the atheism and agnosticism forum after all...
    I am quite sure that steve is being "agnostic" here. He is keeping an open mind based on the timing of these events and the obvious motive present to do so, it's a fairly reasonable position and a million miles from your ludicrous false comparisons of the Islamic Dawkins etc.

If there were moves behind the scenes to use these cases for anti-Russian propaganda purposes what evidence would we certainly have now which is currently absent?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If there were moves behind the scenes to use these cases for anti-Russian propaganda purposes what evidence would we certainly have now which is currently absent?

Startling and unexpected changes in timetables.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Startling and unexpected changes in timetables.

And can you provide these timetables? Have you seen these timetables? If not, then you have no starting point to measure any deviation from.

• Advertisement

In this climate of extreme Russophobia, the one the US has created [...]
    I'm at something of a loss to know how to reply here.

Russia has invaded and annexed Crimea; it has armed its own citizens who have then invaded East Ukraine with the help of local thugs and its own military resulting in the deaths, so far, of somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 people; it was almost certainly indirectly or directly responsible for shooting down MH17; it has legitimized, from the very highest levels, Russian ethnic nationalism at home and abroad from within a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs; it has radicalized the rest of its own population by feeding them a diet of hysterical, predatory propaganda. But the the US is somehow to blame for the rest of the world being horrified? :confused:

The claim of "Russophobia" reminds me of the faintly unconvincing claims of christianophobia and islamopoibia by our religious friends.

Russia has invaded and annexed Crimea; it has armed its own citizens who have then invaded East Ukraine with the help of local thugs and its own military resulting in the deaths, so far, of somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 people; it was almost certainly indirectly or directly responsible for shooting down MH17; it has legitimized, from the very highest levels, Russian ethnic nationalism at home and abroad from within a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs; it has radicalized the rest of its own population by feeding them a diet of hysterical, predatory propaganda. But the the US is somehow to blame for the rest of the world being horrified? :confused:

The claim of "Russophobia" reminds me of the faintly unconvincing claims of christianophobia and islamopoibia by our religious friends.

What is this statement of yours if not Russophobic?

Russia is... "a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs"

What is this statement of yours if not Russophobic?
    Delete the word "filled" if you wish. As for the rest, I'm speaking from first-hand experience, so I feel it's an accurate description rather than a "russophobic" one.

Come on you battle Christianity daily - this could hardly flummox you? :)

robindch wrote:
    Russia has invaded and annexed Crimea; it has armed its own citizens who have then invaded East Ukraine with the help of local thugs and its own military resulting in the deaths, so far, of somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 people; it was almost certainly indirectly or directly responsible for shooting down MH17; it has legitimized, from the very highest levels,

Yes you are correct regarding Russia's actions. Now imagine if Russia started moralizing about the US?
    That'd be intensely and delusionally hypocritical right? Well that's exactly whats happening except in reverse.
    The US has bombed more innocent people and the CIA has been involved in undermining more democratic processes than is possible to recount in these lines to such a degree that those unfamiliar with their atrocities could even start to comprehend their scale - Yet the US has created a propaganda machine which is set at full throttle against the Russians - that is indisputable. That propaganda machine is responsible for this overwhelming irrational fear that many people in the west have of normal Russia folk. I thought such notions were a given.

*Remember I'm not blaming the world for Russia's actions - I would never make such an outrageous statement so you'll have argue against my actual points rather than, well, you know, the ones I didn't make.

robindch wrote:
    Russian ethnic nationalism at home and abroad from within a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs; it has radicalized the rest of its own population by feeding them a diet of hysterical, predatory propaganda. But the the US is somehow to blame for the rest of the world being horrified? :confused:

You've left no room in your, at least, quasi xenophobic rhetoric, for the tens of millions of normal Russians?

robindch wrote:
    Well it could easily be argued that islamophobia and Russophobia exist and are justified to an extent. But the manipulation of, news sources (propaganda) to exacerbate either of these 'phobias' is what we're talking about.

Steve

You've left no room in your, at least, quasi xenophobic rhetoric, for the tens of millions of normal Russians?
    I did leave room. Just to clarify, I imagine that the "large numbers" I'm talking about are in the hundreds of thousands, possibly less, possibly more - the kind of people from any population who are easily led by the kind of predatory propaganda which Russia is filling its airwaves with. This is nothing specific to Russia, I should add - poisoning people with lies and hatred works in any country. I'm simply very concerned that Putin has lit something he's going to have a hard time controlling, especially in a country with a massive, well-equipped army.

I sincerely hope there are millions who disagree with what Putin's doing just now, but if there are, they're not making many waves, at least in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I sincerely hope there are millions who disagree with what Putin's doing just now, but if there are, they're not making many waves, at least in public.

They tried after Putin outright stole their 2011 parliamentary elections.

Massive anti-putin protests across Russia

Then came the repression.

Aside from a large pro-Ukraine rally in Moscow some months ago, there hasn't been much.

. This is nothing specific to Russia, I should add - poisoning people with lies and hatred works in any country.

Yes and it should be noted that, in this regard, there are more ways of skinning the proverbial cat than those immediately obvious.
    robindch wrote:

I would agree with that. They won't make waves to remove Putin because they have a false sense of representation and security in him, a mindset galvanized by what they feel is transparent US subterfuge and in some cases they're (normal Russian people) right to feel that way.

And can you provide these timetables? Have you seen these timetables? If not, then you have no starting point to measure any deviation from.

I didn't claim that the timings were significant. The onus is on those who would claim such significance to provide evidence for the claim.

I didn't claim that the timings were significant. The onus is on those who would claim such significance to provide evidence for the claim.
    It is self-evident that timings are significant. The question is whether they were cynically intentioned this way.

I was under the impression that your position was that the timing of these 3 events all occurring within the same week was insignificant or coincidence. Is this not your claim?

If so, and as you apparently are not in possession or knowledge of any specific timetable to point to and demonstrate this coincidence I am curious as to what basis your position holds.

• Advertisement

Delete the word "filled" if you wish. As for the rest, I'm speaking from first-hand experience, so I feel it's an accurate description rather than a "russophobic" one.
    It would be more important for you to correct yourself really. Also, I am not sure how you are speaking from first hand experience in declaring Russia being responsible for the Malaysian plane.

I'm not really sure where you are coming from at all. You are comparing something that you claim is impossible to exist with something that can and does exist Islamophobia and Christianophobia.

Also, you claim to have a problem with Russia's extreme right but become an apologist for Ukraine's violent fascists who spearheaded the coup and have since been integrated into the military to form the National Guard.

Also, I am not sure how you are speaking from first hand experience in declaring Russia being responsible for the Malaysian plane.

Because he was speaking of his first hand experience with Russia being "a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs". No where there does he mention he plane incident being Russian responsibility coming from first hand experience. He is clearly talking about the attitudes of the Russian people in general. Then applying his first hand experience to that.

This type of misunderstanding and misrepresentation is all too frequent in your posts.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Because he was speaking of his first hand experience with Russia being "a country filled with large numbers of red-eyed, semi-fascist thugs". No where there does he mention he plane incident being Russian responsibility coming from first hand experience. He is clearly talking about the attitudes of the Russian people in general. Then applying his first hand experience to that.

This type of misunderstanding and misrepresentation is all too frequent in your posts.

There is no misrepresentation. Maybe he mispoke but he clearly claims to have first-hand experience regarding the plane. This is the post I responded to:

"the rest" including:
    it was almost certainly indirectly or directly responsible for shooting down MH17

It is self-evident that timings are significant. The question is whether they were cynically intentioned this way.

The burden of proof is on those who make an assertion, not those who question an assertion.

Still waiting.

Scrap the cap!

I was under the impression that your position was that the timing of these 3 events all occurring within the same week was insignificant or coincidence.

As is so often the case, you can correct this impression by reading what I wrote, not what it suits you to read into what you think I wrote.

I made no claim about the timing of these events. I answered a question. If you hold the view that the timing of these events has a specific significance in the context of current affairs, perhaps you'd be so good as to point out how the timing of these events has differed in any appreciable way from what it would have been had recent events not transpired.

As is so often the case, you can correct this impression by reading what I wrote, not what it suits you to read into what you think I wrote.

I made no claim about the timing of these events. I answered a question. If you hold the view that the timing of these events has a specific significance in the context of current affairs, perhaps you'd be so good as to point out how the timing of these events has differed in any appreciable way from what it would have been had recent events not transpired.

In fairness, you did thank a post which wrongly conflated a very reasonable suspicion with examples of the absurd, hence my impression.

I did ask you to clarify or correct me if I was mistaken, but you cut that part out and haven't responded.

• Advertisement

The burden of proof is on those who make an assertion, not those who question an assertion.

Still waiting.
    Your assertion was implied. I would pose the same question to you - What evidence is absent that we would certainly possess if the timings of these events were politically motivated?

Correct me if I am wrong but at this moment it is not proven one way or the other whether the timings here are politically motivated or not?

Your assertion was implied. I would pose the same question to you - What evidence is absent that we would certainly possess if the timings of these events were politically motivated?

Correct me if I am wrong but at this moment it is not proven one way or the other whether the timings here are politically motivated or not?

Wrong. An assertion was made of political motivation, but it remains groundless unless and until evidence is presented. So far, not a shred.

Scrap the cap!

It's also not proven one way or the other whether there's a teapot in solar orbit.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, it has been suggested that the timing of certain events is politically motivated. The default position, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, is that the timing of those events is unaltered. There is no requirement to adduce evidence to disprove a conspiracy theory when no evidence has been adduced to support it.

So, what's your view? Do you believe the timing to be politically motivated? If so, what evidence do you have for this belief? If not, why are you arguing about it?

Wrong.
    To avoid being accused of misrepresentation again I shall repeat the question you responded to again.
    Correct me if I am wrong but at this moment it is not proven one way or the other whether the timings here are politically motivated or not
    So I am to take it that you believe that it has been proven? Which way?
    An assertion was made of political motivation,
    Which was re calibrated to a suspicion.
    but it remains groundless unless and until evidence is presented. So far, not a shred.
    You are muddling up "groundless" with suspicion here.

It is a reasonable suspicion and is line with the British Government's position of Russia, the avalanche of anti-Russian propaganda; especially the Murdoch rags "Hitler-Putin's missile and his mission to expand the Soviet Union" type nonsense, and Rupert Murdoch's history of attempting to influence the EU.

And then all in the space of a week you have the ECHR ruling against russia, (The ECHR is reliant on donation from member states. The member state's themselves get to decide on what cases this money is spent), the sanctions and most of suspicious of all the launch of a UK government enquiry into Litvinenko, who has been dead for 8 years. All this with the background of the US accusations taken as fact and then parroted by the media - the same media who sold the lies of WMD in Iraq, Iraqi's throwing babies out of incubators etc - of the Russians being responsible for MH17, and all this based on "super-secret evidence that we have but we can't tell anyone about, just trust us".

A sidenote here is that the Russian's prime suspect in the Litvinenko murder will be the main beneficiary in the ECHR ruling.

So once again, "What evidence is absent that we would certainly possess if the timings of these events were politically motivated?"

I think the people saying there is no evidence about timing or release of these awards being related to, or influenced by the US, are correct. It would be a very silly way to derail the thread to continue to argue it.

Back on topic, the thread title - the complex relationship has that existed between the Ukraine and Russia for over a thousand years - how many people here think that the US have disproportionately involved themselves in this conflict and if so what is their agenda? The promotion of democracy? Containment of Russian expansionism? The containment of Russia as an economic threat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement