Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Conar

fergalom wrote: »
    Thanks Conar, thought of that its the same.
    If you do a lookup on the Vodafone IPs on the images, unbridged modem IP is listed as "Vodafone Infrastructure" and the bridged modem IP is "Vodafone Mobile DSL".

If I move the modem from bridged back to unbridged, the IP ranges change as above and speed goes back to 80. No matter, how many times, same result.

I'll be home this evening and will take a look.
    I'm bridging with an r7000 using Openwrt and don't usually have this issue but I have been away for a couple of weeks so perhaps they've done something.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Conar wrote: »
    I'm bridging with an r7000 using Openwrt and don't usually have this issue but I have been away for a couple of weeks so perhaps they've done something.

Thanks Conar, I'm bridging with DD-wrt recent build so settings should be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The "fast" setup is probably NAT'd, I suspect via Dublin. The "slow" setup is routing properly.

Run tracerts to a server in Dublin such as Heanet.ie and see if there are any geographic hints in the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Hi,

Can anyone tell me is the LED for internet on or not when you have the HG568c bridged?

Thanks

Running fine here. Getting full speed as expected through r7000

• Advertisement

higster wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me is the LED for internet on or not when you have the HG568c bridged?

Thanks

Internet LED is off

Running fine here. Getting full speed as expected through r7000

Thanks Conar, just a query on something I came across, do you have the wan on the r7000 set as vlan10?
    Also I have the newer HG659 adn its fibre to cabinet broadband but not sure that makes any difference.

Time for tech support and to loose the will to live.

Thanks Conar, just a query on something I came across, do you have the wan on the r7000 set as vlan10?
    Also I have the newer HG659 adn its fibre to cabinet broadband but not sure that makes any difference.

Fibre to the cabinet is just the correct name for efibre. Fibre as far as the cabinet and copper phone line the rest of the way, as opposed to fibre to the exchange and copper the rest of the way with DSL.

No, I don't have the WAN on VLAN10, I've always just left it on the default and never had any problems.
    At present it's vlan2 and I've sometimes had a 2nd home vlan on vlan3 but don't at the moment.

I just ran another speedtest there and got 94.47mb/s down and 19mb/s up. That's on 100mb/s efibre package.

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000

That's what I use in case you want to try it to see if it improves things.
    Works great for me with more access controls and options to run VPN on specific devices.

ED E wrote: »
    The "fast" setup is probably NAT'd, I suspect via Dublin. The "slow" setup is routing properly.

Run tracerts to a server in Dublin such as Heanet.ie and see if there are any geographic hints in the results.

ED E - took a few days to get the chance to do this but I believe your are correct re unbridged vodafone being NAT'd

First tracert is unbridged
    Second is bridged

Anything I can do from here with this info?
    C:\Users\xyz>tracert www.heanet.ie

Tracing route to iconia.heanet.ie [193.1.219.81]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.200.200
      2    17 ms    17 ms    18 ms  10.8.15.1
      3    19 ms    18 ms    19 ms  89.19.65.246
      4    18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15]
      5    29 ms    32 ms    30 ms  bundle-ether700.cr2-pw.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.0]
      6    22 ms    21 ms    24 ms  te5-1-blanch-sr2.services.hea.net [193.1.237.2]
      7    40 ms    18 ms    19 ms  iconia.heanet.ie [193.1.219.81]

Trace complete.

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  89.19.64.130
      3    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  89.19.68.238
      4    32 ms    18 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15]
      5    22 ms    22 ms    20 ms  bundle-ether700.cr2-pw.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.0]
      6    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  te5-1-blanch-sr2.services.hea.net [193.1.237.2]
      7    32 ms    22 ms    20 ms  iconia.heanet.ie [193.1.219.81]

Trace complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

i have the vodafone hg658c in bridge mode connected to an asus rt ac68u router. my wifi speed is only half the speed when using in bridge mode to my asus router. when using hg658c in normal mode using it for wifi speeds are about double that of when using both together. also the range seems poor when using both together. ive only been able to test this with my samsung note 2 and speedtest app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Some "person" had went into my netgear r7000 and changed the ap mode to bridge and now I can`t figure out how to get back the net, I`ve reset both vodafone and netgear routers, I`ve disabled DHCP in the vodafone router settings, then selected tr069_Internet, unchecked [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TR069 and VOIP options, changned connection type to PPPoE_Bridged, rebooted.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can`t get into the settongs for the r7000 to enable DHCP....I`m lost...yet again.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I`d love some guidance please...[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is what I get this when I try to go to the netgear router page..[/font]
    I don`t know how to put an image in here....

Here`s what it says.....
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.[/font]

I've managed to get everything up and running, don't know at what stage things just started to work, but something I did somewhere along the steps worked.

The wifi itself on devices seems slower than before, but my biggest problem is with my ps4, online I keep getting disconnected, no matter what I try and change in the router settings, I can't stay in a game for long, while I'm playing, it's smooth and lag free, but it doesn't last..

Any ideas what I could do, or try?

I`m starting to regret all the hassle I had to go through to bridge my modem,if I knew that I`d have problems with playing online with PS4, I would`nt have done this, it`s like everything with me I sort/fix one thing and then another problem takes it`s place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E - took a few days to get the chance to do this but I believe your are correct re unbridged vodafone being NAT'd

First tracert is unbridged
    Second is bridged

Anything I can do from here with this info?

2    17 ms    17 ms    18 ms  10.8.15.1
      3    19 ms    18 ms    19 ms  89.19.65.246
      4    18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15]
      5    29 ms    32 ms    30 ms  bundle-ether700.cr2-pw.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.0]

Trace complete.

2    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  89.19.64.130
      3    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  89.19.68.238
      4    32 ms    18 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15]

Trace complete.

Ooops. A week late.
    A. Unbridged
      2    17 ms    17 ms    18 ms  [B]10.8.15.1[/B]  [B]Carrier NAT - Booo [/B]
      3    19 ms    18 ms    19 ms  89.19.65.246 (IRELAND)
      4    18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15] (INEX)
      5    29 ms    32 ms    30 ms  bundle-ether700.cr2-pw.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.0] (HEANET..)
    Trace complete.

B. Bridged
      2    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  89.19.64.130 (IRELAND)
      3    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  89.19.68.238 (IRELAND)
      4    32 ms    18 ms    19 ms  . [185.6.36.15] (INEX)
    Trace complete.

The geos dont narrow down where exactly those IPs are so we cant lay it out but the default setup has one hop to INEX so is probably egressing in Dublin. The bridged setup one would guess routes via the local POP and then heads towards Dublin on a weaker route or on a lower VLAN. Impossible to say.

You could ask Vodafone to investigate but Im skeptical you'd get anywhere.

What's the easiest and stress free way of going from this PPPOE muck back to normal Internet, where ps4s work like they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Bumping a bit of an old thread here, bear with me: Was setting up the HG568c for a friend to use as a second WiFi access point (bridged mode). I've logged in with the admin user and password in the first post, but the style sheet settings don't have "display: none" anymore but the same background settings as the others.

So, I can see "WAN", "LAN" and "WiFi" in this submenu. When I try to change the Ethernet line in WAN settings to "IP Bridged" I get an error in dodgy English about the settings selected being different to the chosen connection. I am stuck here and can't get it to work.

(Internet light is red of course)

Any ideas?

Did anyone run into issues with their bridged set up lately by any chance?
    After a couple of solid years I started to get constant Wan disconnects and reconnects on my r7000.
    Tried xvortex, tomato, and ddwrt but all the same.
    Go back to using the Vodafone router as a router and relegate my r7000 to an AP and everything is fine.

Just checking in case vodafone changed something I'm unaware but I think my r7000 is screwed because the same behaviour happens when I used a Eir F1000 bridged for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

So am I doing this right

1) switch "tr069_Internet" to PPPOE-bridged and turn off TR69 on HG658c
    sWe2KDl.png
    2) go to lan and turn off DHCP (is turning off DHCP option pool as wel important?)
    z1XC2P5.png
    3) turn off wifi.
    4) reboot?

4) plug a lan cable from a LAN port on HG658c to WAN port on new router
    5) enable PPPOE and enter the user name (im on asdl so its the serialnumber@vodafone.ie) and the password "broadband"

Should that be it?

Are IP addresses important, should i change the hg658c to something else and then have the router as 192.168.1.1?

Tried it last night and couldnt get the router to connect to the internet, in the end i reset everything and just turned off the wifi on the modem and ran wifi from the router but id like the router to handle everything

Edit: fixed i needed to bridge the atm tr069 in the end. Was having double nat issues, all sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

swoofer wrote: »
    This is what I did, it was posted on that big thread and thanks to user wheresmybeaver

.... to unbridge the modem, apply the updated firmware and go back into bridged mode.

1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Eth1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband. "

This is a while ago so if its different in your modem can you post back. I want to do a reset soon to see if it triggers vectoring but worried in case things have changed.

This should be stickied at the start of the thread!!

My DSL-AC68U lost its way during one of our storms so had to revert back to the ****e H658c, its one woeful POS! So I managed to bridge to the AC68U now and our coverage is back to normal. The range on the Huawei is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It appears my HG 658c doesn't want to play ball with wifi calling. If it does connect it drops calls and won't dial out and misses calls. Tried a couple of phones on it with the same result. Vodafone aren't interested because once the internet is working they don't care so they won't replace the router. My question is if i bridge another router could this solve the problem? I gather they can be still bridged, i think my SW ends with 237.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It appears my HG 658c doesn't want to play ball with wifi calling. If it does connect it drops calls and won't dial out and misses calls. Tried a couple of phones on it with the same result. Vodafone aren't interested because once the internet is working they don't care so they won't replace the router. My question is if i bridge another router could this solve the problem? I gather they can be still bridged, i think my SW ends with 237.

You've got wi-fi calling from Voda ?

Tom

You've got wi-fi calling from Voda ?

Tom
    Yep execept on my router :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Micky 32 wrote: »

It should work without the need of bridging the router. My HG659 is bridged to an Orbi router and as of recently Wifi Calling is working as it should. I had an issue a month or two ago when it didn’t work and I reverted to using the HG659 just to test it and it worked without the need of it being bridged. I subsequently got it working again on the Orbi.

It should work without the need of bridging the router. My HG659 is bridged to an Orbi router and as of recently Wifi Calling is working as it should. I had an issue a month or two ago when it didn’t work and I reverted to using the HG659 just to test it and it worked without the need of it being bridged. I subsequently got it working again on the Orbi.

Thanks for reply. It just won’t work. I went to a few different houses to try my phone and it connects no problem.

I successfully bridged a TP link VR600 within a matter of minutes! How are people rating these, are they anygood? Unfortunately didn't fix my wifi calling, no idea wtf Vodafone are at don't seem to be able to fix it :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

looking for help putting the vodafone HG659 into bridge/modem mode, any ideas?...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

I am a little be confused trying to bridge HG658c. I can go into the router via 192.168.1.1 and log in. I click on basic and click on WAN. Here I change my WAN connection PTM_INTERNET_B_VID_10 from connection type IP_Routed (PPP) to PPPoE_Bridge. It says its enabled. Where do I connect the cable Into this router from the main router? Does it go into the red WAN slot. And from the MaiN router do I plug the cable into one of the 4 ethernet ports?
    Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nik

Why bridging when you can connect it directly to fibre box?
    I have vodafone fibre ( siro) broadband, and managed to connect Asus router directly to fibre box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are vodafone still handing out the 658c for FTTC? or are they doing giga box for everyone?

Advertisement