Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Why would they support that. If you bought a Ford Mondeo and wanted assistance modifying the engine would you call Ford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Probably a silly question but:

Is it not possible to just buy a decent VDSL2 modem from say Amazon and have it connected directly to the socket?

Can you not just configure a new modem to work instead of the Vodafone Huawei?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Reason I ask is my Huawei has been a disaster since day one. My iphone constantly loses connection with it especially when turning wifi back on after being on 3g. I either have to renew the lease or forget the network altogether and re-enter the ssid.

My laptop has struggled at times too on start up to fully get on the internet. It'll connect to the wifi but say no internet access. I had to forget the network and re-enter ssid again on that.

I've moved from Sky and although the speeds are 10 times faster the router is 10 times worse. With Sky I had to reboot the modem maybe twice a year and in the 5 weeks I'm with Vodafone I've maybe re-booted about 20 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

Apparently the reason for keeping the huawei is because of vectoring ie software updates will not be possible with a different model router/modem. I just bridged the huawei from day one to a netgear router and recently reset the huawei to get the software update b214. All I got with vectoring was better ping speeds and speed went from 38mb to 36mb. I rang vf once and got the normal brush off ie a fault on line we need eircom. Eircom called out and tested line and guess what no fault. The wi fi on that huwaei is pants. You can buy a router/modem that will now work and it was posted in some other thread that I cant find but I think bridging is the way to go because if you get a fault you cant blame VF until you plug back in their modem. Lots of hassle.

I have a netgear since may 2013 and NEVER had to reboot and wi fi is awesome. Its WNDR4500.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Gonna try bridging it again. I did it before but the tp link router kept saying it was a different type connection when I tried the auto setup. Was hit and miss with keeping the connection as well.

Has anyone here done it with adsl as opposed to a vdsl connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I have my voda modem bridged to a basic TP Link WR841N for about the last year and the stability is very good, I'd say I've only power cycled the two devices a handful of times and even then I can't be 100% sure that they were at fault. Before that I couldn't get the Vodafone router to stay connected to some wireless devices for more than 30 minutes.

The settings on the TP Link are PPPoE with the username in the @vfiefttc.ie format. Password was Broadband if I recall correctly. I've set it to Connect Automatically; no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks I'm trying to bridge my old netgear router to my new Vodafone router because in can't access my server or cctv as the new router is located downstairs in my house. How do I bridge them?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Does anyone have the HG658c working successfully with SIP, VoIP ?
    It was working, but I now have version 218 and cannot successfully use VoIP.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Not sure if this is a great help but you can go back to Ver 214 from this page!
    http://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Technical-Support/Huawei-HG658c-Software-Update/m-p/147717#M1118
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aaron-

Recently moved some of my hardware around the house after my successful bridge from the HG658c to my Asus RT-N55U and noticed that when my box was changed in order to receive fttc (Which I technically don't have, but that's another story altogether) the chap who installed it rand about 2 foot of cat5e ethernet cable from the ethernet port to a small box which then converted it to a 2 pair cable which then fed in to the dsl port of my HG658c.

Can anyone tell me why he couldn't have just connected from the wall socket to the WAN port on the HG568c via the cat5e?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Trying to connect a sattelite receiver to one of these routers is proving a right pain.
    From reading this thread I presume I've a port forwarding problem??
    Even though the laptop works with the same Ethernet connection.....yes??
    If so, would it be easier to change port forward or port triggering??
    Bearing in mind I can't enter any passwords on sat receiver end (don't know if this is relevant)
    Many thanks in anticipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Imstuck wrote: »
    Trying to connect a sattelite receiver to one of these routers is proving a right pain.
    From reading this thread I presume I've a port forwarding problem??
    Even though the laptop works with the same Ethernet connection.....yes??
    If so, would it be easier to change port forward or port triggering??
    Bearing in mind I can't enter any passwords on sat receiver end (don't know if this is relevant)
    Many thanks in anticipation!

Go to portforward.com - there should be a page which will give you instructions on setting up the appropriate port forwarding rules for the device you want.

Thanks for your replies!
    Are we sure it is a port forward problem then? Laptop works but sat box won't connect? Just want to be sure before I go delving in!!

Thanks for your replies!
    Are we sure it is a port forward problem then? Laptop works but sat box won't connect? Just want to be sure before I go delving in!!

Wait a sec - what exactly is the issue with it? Port forwarding is to enable access to a device from outside the network. Is this what you want to do?

Or are you just trying to connect the device to the network wirelessly?

I am trying to connect device via Ethernet.
    Same Ethernet works with laptop but won't with sat receiver, although tried at another house ok so it's not the device.
    I believe there are lots of people trying with same issues with this router.
    Firewall maybe?

I am trying to connect device via Ethernet.
    Same Ethernet works with laptop but won't with sat receiver, although tried at another house ok so it's not the device.
    I believe there are lots of people trying with same issues with this router.
    Firewall maybe?

Model numbers and error messages would help. If its not connecting locally then its nothing to do with port forwarding.

It won't run a cmd ipconfig on the laptop either, get an error along the lines of
    'This is not an internal or external command'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

So what routers are people using to replace the HG658c functionality? I've seen these suggested so far:
    1. Netgear WNDR4500
    2. Asus RT-AC66U

Anything else? I'm finding the WiFi brutal on the supplied router. I have the house wired for CAT6 but have a 1GB switch for that so better WiFi is what I'm really after.

I also see the TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 recommended (in a UPC thread) and I'm guessing it should work? Presume the next model up, the C8 would work also.

Any other suggestions?

OK, I've bought the Netgear R7000 I'm about to attempt to bridge the HG658c but I've a fixed IP address from Vodafone.

Are these the correct steps?
    1. Connect to the HG658 with a Ethernet cable as I presume WiFi will go down. If I switch off DHCP I'm sure the laptop will lose connection so I should set a fixed IP.
    2. Log into the HG658 with "vodafone" + password
    3. Set the HG658 to bridged mode.
    4. Disable DHCP on the HG658
    5. Set the WAN IP address of my R7000 to my Vodafone fixed IP address
    6. Set PPPoE on the R7000 with username of HG658 serial + @vodafone.ie

If after I do this and need to unset bridged mode is the only way a hard reset?

This is what I did, it was posted on that big thread and thanks to user wheresmybeaver

.... to unbridge the modem, apply the updated firmware and go back into bridged mode.

1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Eth1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband. "

This is a while ago so if its different in your modem can you post back. I want to do a reset soon to see if it triggers vectoring but worried in case things have changed.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    This is what I did, it was posted on that big thread and thanks to user wheresmybeaver

.... to unbridge the modem, apply the updated firmware and go back into bridged mode.

1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Eth1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband. "

This is a while ago so if its different in your modem can you post back. I want to do a reset soon to see if it triggers vectoring but worried in case things have changed.

Thanks so much. I've been at it for nearly 2 hours and I was missing the first half of step 5 where you actually select the internet connection before setting it to bridged mode. I was setting nothing to bridged mode and thus all the lights were staying on.

In my office on a different floor to the newly installed R7000 I'm getting 20 times the speeds over the supplied VF modem using wifi. Massive difference.

That VF router is a piece of .... Glad you are sorted.

swoofer wrote: »
    That VF router is a piece of .... Glad you are sorted.

I'm only realising how bad it is now.

gavvkk wrote: »
    You dont give the WAN port an IP Address unless you have a static IP Address from you ISP provider (the internet side IP Address, not internal IP addressess). That WAN IP setting is left to dynamic as ISP will assign a free WAN IP address, and every 24hrs or so with Vodafone, they assign a new dynamic WAN IP address to "home" users regardless if there is data activity on the home modem/router.

Also, as I said above, when a device is in bridged mode, it is only acting as data "passthrough" from A to B. Its networking sections(Dhcp, Nat, Ip address range etc..) are not in use:)

Just an update on this. I have a static IP from Vodafone but I still left my Netgear R7000 to get the IP address and DNS dynamically from the ISP/Vodafone. Works fine either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭davenachill

Hi, just wondering if you can get Qos settings on this router? I'm trying to give my ps3 priority connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

OK, really basic stuff here, so apologies in advance. I want to use my Asus Router with this modem (leaving current Asus settings as they are).

I presume I need to

1. Change the IP address on the Huawei so there are no conflicts. Let's say from 192.168.1.1 to 192.169.1.1 (so the Asus stays on 192.168.1.1 and acts as my DNS Server on the local network)

2. Set the Huawei into Bridge Mode

3. Disable DNS and set a static ip address on the lan for the Asus

Is this right? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Pete

did you read post 171?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Hi Folks
    Finally after numerous days of head scratching frustration and knowing my settings were correct - and growing suspicion that Vodafone had "tampered" with the NAT function - luckily I happened upon this wonderful thread.

Vodafone - what are you tying to achieve by providing that piece of garbage HG658c modem to decent paying customers
    Looks like you've deliberately blocked / failed to provide port forwarding and proper NAT function - Why ?? - this is standard with all respectable ISP's
    To the experts here - much kudos to you.

After going through the thread I've finally got NAT / port forwarding / DDNS working as it should

I've gone into bridge mode and setup both my routers - the Netgear WNR2200 and the Linksys WRT54G (version 2).

I'm using the Netgear now and will keep the Linksys as a backup

If any users have these models and need assistance on setup just holler - but this current thread is excellent- thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I tried bridging the HG658c running B218 to my TP-Link WDR3600 last night. Spent hours at it. Would not work!

I followed all the instructions and checked multiple times. I power cycled both routers multiple times, even allowing the HG658c to be on for 1 min before turning on the TP-Link once or twice to make sure.

I used the username from my HG658c WAN page and 'broadband' as the password.

I tried both variants @vodafone.ie & @vfiefttc.ie

I also tried setting connection type to manual with 0 parameter as someone further back did with the same 2 routers.

No joy. Just keep getting connecting connecting connecting no matter how long I leave it.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

this screen is the crucial one
    look at the PTM and ATM entries at the top
    I have BOTH ATM and PTM set to bridged (PPPOE) - the screen suggests only PTM is needed - didnt test that on my own just "bridged" both of them

Also are You absolutely sure you formed the username on your own router from your HG658c serial number - are ALL the letters numbers correct ? - i think its username formed as [ HG658c serial number ]@vodafone.ie by the way - password is broadband

Set your own router into Gateway mode - In your own router settings suggest giving your own router an IP address something like 192.168.1.222 (for example) - on your routers main setup page set connection type to PPPoE and set username name and password go in as discussed few lines above.

Then in the IPv4 settings on your PC the 192.168.1.122 is set as your gateway and also set as one of your DNS servers although you can also use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as alternative DNS servers

editing3.jpg

Advertisement