Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Looks like if we win on sunday it'll be ah sure clare were missing half their team very little being said here about our injuries quaid,mac,downes breen 4 guaranteed starters.Outside of that whats this thinking if both teams had their full squad available clare would win without a doubt?thats a load of sh''e in my view clare have the outstanding mc inerney in full back line other 2 average enough,bugler in hb line other 2 average enough, galvin[who by the way walked]and donnellan wouldn't frighten me,conlon can be immense kelly superb and whoever the 3rd half forward is wouldn't send shivers down my spine then you'd have the superb mc grath with the potentially superb shane o donnell and the 3rd full forward wouldn't be a superstar?I think thats more or less their team and yes of course some magnif hurlers but also some not magnif hurlers.What annoys me is Limerick being portrayed as a hit and lash crowd with no hurling which i think doesn't reflect the players we have ok we may not have a tony kelly but i tell you neither does most teams but hopefully on sunday we might see a potential kelly on the rise for limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

lim4ev wrote: »
    Looks like if we win on sunday it'll be ah sure clare were missing half their team very little being said here about our injuries quaid,mac,downes breen 4 guaranteed starters.Outside of that whats this thinking if both teams had their full squad available clare would win without a doubt?thats a load of sh''e in my view clare have the outstanding mc inerney in full back line other 2 average enough,bugler in hb line other 2 average enough, galvin[who by the way walked]and donnellan wouldn't frighten me,conlon can be immense kelly superb and whoever the 3rd half forward is wouldn't send shivers down my spine then you'd have the superb mc grath with the potentially superb shane o donnell and the 3rd full forward wouldn't be a superstar?I think thats more or less their team and yes of course some magnif hurlers but also some not magnif hurlers.What annoys me is Limerick being portrayed as a hit and lash crowd with no hurling which i think doesn't reflect the players we have ok we may not have a tony kelly but i tell you neither does most teams but hopefully on sunday we might see a potential kelly on the rise for limerick.

There's no point complaining about us not getting enough credit before the game; I think we should win this but we have to go and do it. If other teams write us off, then fair enough. All we can do is play what's in front of us.

From a first-choice team, Clare are missing Bugler & McGrath. I'm not getting into the Galvin thing, but you can't count the likes of him who aren't on the panel. Waterford aren't still counting John Mullane who could definitely still do a job, Kilkenny aren't counting John Dalton, Cork aren't counting Sweetnam.

McGrath is a top-class forward, Bugler is a leader but had a poor year last year. From a Clare pov, it's really the likes of Donnellan & Colin Ryan who Davy has put faith in that really need to perform. The younger players are hungry, talented, most of them All-Ireland winners at underage level; a talented side who have a lot to prove after relegation & a poor 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The thing is to be fair limerick breen and Wayne mac are typically hit and lash direct style yes sounds harsh but many limerick lads accept this and actually those lads out strenghten limerick as Lynch have start and once not uses as a puck out option but a forager in breaking ball to offer craft guile creativity for dowling and mulchay he'll be fine

Wayne mac was fit and started two half back line conceded seven goals in four games would start and that's a disaster waiting to happen
    Limerick injury players may be needed v tipp but against Clare they weaken team
    I agree quaid huge loss but yes limerick should win and this is not full strength clare team no matter how you dress it up

To be fair limerick have been portrayed as hit lash jack team as be fair they done that v offaly with a sweeper Laois and wexford and Dublin and last year all championship
    If you play that way yes you will get the stigma
    If you race a horse in the flat despite jumping potential he always be labelled as flat horse until such times he enters a hurdle or a chase
    Perception is usually based on what the eyes can see
    Most realise and advocated limerick have hurlers play different style but they haven't as of yet to be fair

As for kelly nobody has a tony kelly yes but then nobody has tj Reid either and clare don't have a harnedy either so while their all uniquely totally different players all three are absolutely paramount to the success of the team with the defined role of excellence in sustainable consistent performances they bring game after game
    What marks all threw out is unlike some who performance occasions these perform every single game and more importantly when the need is greatest on the biggest stage in the biggest games
    Lynch could be unreal only if played right if they use him on puck outs he could be equally as poor
    Must roam in a defined zonal aera to be effective were the fleet movement dynamic telepathic feet wonderful hurling brain and spatial awareness combined with real guile poise and outstanding elegance blesses with a temperament for the big games and a want and desire and hunger within once he is allowed flourish in the game

agree with league this yr but not munster final limerick scored 24 pints that day and could have been 2-30 and were still close enough despite our hb line being cleaned def the wings anyway.I agree to a point re w mac and breen but the way you go on about clare you'd swear they have 15 t kelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Jesus lads, we make a good account of ourselves for two league games against Kilkenny (both of which we lost), and some people seem to forget the past year ever happened. We need to be firing on all cylinders Sunday or Limerick will walk all over us. The CE/LK games have always been tight.

Jesus lads, we make a good account of ourselves for two league games against Kilkenny (both of which we lost), and some people seem to forget the past year ever happened. We need to be firing on all cylinders Sunday or Limerick will walk all over us. The CE/LK games have always been tight.

Bar 2006 :(:(:(

agree with league this yr but not munster final limerick scored 24 pints that day and could have been 2-30 and were still close enough despite our hb line being cleaned def the wings anyway.I agree to a point re w mac and breen but the way you go on about clare you'd swear they have 15 t kelly's.

And while you right regards limerick cork imo cork would won that handy over pressure playing in last game in pairc
    That style was direct as cork don't play a sweeper but it showed direct style limerick are beatable
    If they play Possession orientated smart concise games and play with hurling brains they have and not just brawn but combined brawn part package this limerick team would be very good
    I have advocated two years limerick need change style and there's hope for Sunday evolution may happen in limerick style of play

And while you right regards limerick cork imo cork would won that handy over pressure playing in last game in pairc
    That style was direct as cork don't play a sweeper but it showed direct style limerick are beatable
    If they play Possession orientated smart concise games and play with hurling brains they have and not just brawn but combined brawn part package this limerick team would be very good
    I have advocated two years limerick need change style and there's hope for Sunday evolution may happen in limerick style of play

Here's hoping TTM whatever about the change of style i think we have some serious hurlers at the moment i'm aware this is a clare thread so i won't go on but in every line we have very competent hurlers and the further up the field we go the better the stickmen,clare have them but so do we.

Good night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

shane mcgrath is a huge loss doubt tubridy or mcinerney will feture both saw very little action through out the league , expect to see davey o'holleran and rory donnelly ( came out of retirement after the league ) to feature at some stage both scored 0-3 points each against dublin in a challenge match last week

there was very much a heavy training aspect to the clare performance in newcastle west back in late march when the teams last met ,i would be still confident enough even though the selection looks a little defensive , think gary brennan was carrying an injury at different parts of the league too so could see keelan sexton in at some stage too strong enough bench how ever colm won'nt be on the sideline which could be a slight problem

Do you have a list of Clare team/subs that played against Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

taking from yesterdays clare champion mixed bag in terms of starting line ups dublin looked to have a very strong line up though, i think the final score was 4-12 to 0-15 the paper has is it slightly less

Clare:

Pierce Deloughrey;
    Conor Brennan, Kevin Hartnett,Stephen Collins;
    DarrenNagle, Gordon Kelly, DeanRyan;
    Gary Brennan (captain),Cathal O’Connor;
    Cian O’Dea,Davy O’Halloran, Keelan Sexton;
    Rory Donnelly, Pat Burke,Eoin Cleary.

Subs: Jamie Malone for Gary
    Brennan (inj), Ciarán Russell
    for Dean Ryan, Alan O’Neill for
    Rory Donnelly, Chris Dunning
    for Keelan Sexton, Martin
    McMahon for Gordon Kelly,
    Martin O’Leary for Pat Burke
    and Jack O’Dea for Kevin
    Hartnett.
    Scorers: Davy O’Halloran (0-
    3), Cathal O’Connor (0-3, 2f),
    Jamie Malone (0-2), Rory Donnelly,
    Keelan Sexton, Pat Burke
    (f), Cian O’Dea and Dean Ryan
    (0-1 each).
    Wides: 8; frees: 14.
    Referee: Barry Kelly (St

Dublin:
    Sean Currie;
    PhillyMcMahon, Michael Fitzsimons,Johnny Cooper;
    JamesMcCarthy, Cian O’Sullivan,Jack McCaffrey;
    Brian Fenton,Emmett O’Conghaile;
    Tomás Brady, Ciaran Kilkenny, DiarmuidConnolly;
    Dean Rock,Kevin McManamon, Bernard Brogan.

Subs: Darren Daly, Eoin
    Culligan, John Small, Paddy
    Andrews, Alan Brogan and
    Michael Darragh McCauley.
    Scorers: Alan Brogan (2-1),
    Bernard Brogan (1-4, 3f), Dean
    Rock (1-3, 2f), Ciarán Kilkenny
    (0-2), James McCarthy, Emmett
    O’Conghaile and Philly
    McMahon
    (0-1 each).
    Wides: 8;
    frees: 12;
    45s: 1
    Joseph’s, Miltown)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So far so good, 0-9 to 0-4 ahead at half time.
    Could have been more only for poor finishing

Final score 0-15 to 0-13, lead was down to one point in injury time.
    A win is a win, need to learn to be more clinical for the Cork game to have any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

Final score 0-15 to 0-13, lead was down to one point in injury time.
    A win is a win, need to learn to he mire clinical for the Cork game to have any chance

Yes but great result nonetheless. They lads can take alot of heart from the performance, for hanging on in the finish when Limerick were clearly in the ascendancy throughout the second half. Brennan and O'Connor were excellent at midfield in the first half as were Marty McMahon and Dean Ryan (who was crippled it looked for most of the game).

The subs I thought made a good impact too, Donnelly and the 2 hurlers, McInerney's final score set up by young Keelan was super stuff. Clare would never have been able to have that sort of impact from the bench before.

Alot of injuries to clear up at the moment but I'd be hopeful we can put in a good performance v Cork. Were going in the right direction anyway which is the most important.

letowski wrote: »
    Yes but great result nonetheless. They lads can take alot of heart from the performance, for hanging on in the finish when Limerick were clearly in the ascendancy throughout the second half. Brennan and O'Connor were excellent at midfield in the first half as were Marty McMahon and Dean Ryan (who was crippled it looked for most of the game).

The subs I thought made a good impact too, Donnelly and the 2 hurlers, McInerney's final score set up by young Keelan was super stuff. Clare would never have been able to have that sort of impact from the bench before.

Alot of injuries to clear up at the moment but I'd be hopeful we can put in a good performance v Cork. Were going in the right direction anyway which is the most important.

an awfull lot of injuried bodies last night taught keelan should have came on earlier especially with podge injuried so early in the second half , jamie malone ha a fine game also was a bit dissapointed with pat bourke , eoin cleary scoored a great point but lacked match practice the bench looks stronger now with the likes of davey o' hollaran on board

suppose its no bad thing to be complaining about hitting a large number of wides when scoering 15 points , i imagine 12 or 13 were from play ,

Will Cathal McInerney be fit enough to start v Cork ?

• Advertisement

Lads I don't do moral victory but clare died boots on field today immense credit all players and shows unity belief togetherness group and showed no problems Davy as team didn't belive him wouldn't ran kk point twice sway home and today half time could gave up but didn't

I have no doubt if clare even had two injured players not man send off would beat limerick who huffed and puffed at times and magical outstanding lynch saved them imo

Clare are certainly fit team able regroup for qualifiers and showed be proud display

Obviously questions remain displince clare and needs be sorted as clare man correctly posted here before the game if no man was sent off and they keep their discipline they would win

Nobody likes loosing but imo clare even loosing better position than limerick as clare more scope for improvement and I can't see limerick improving by much

Limerick win was like munster final two years ago where struggled for hour beat cork but won but the warning signs were there and when they got to the semi were beaten

Imo limerick will not win an all-ireland

Discipline is the big problem, again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Figerty

Lads I don't do moral victory but clare died boots on field today immense credit all players and shows unity belief togetherness group and showed no problems Davy as team didn't belive him wouldn't ran kk point twice sway home and today half time could gave up but didn't

I have no doubt if clare even had two injured players not man send off would beat limerick who huffed and puffed at times and magical outstanding lynch saved them imo

Clare are certainly fit team able regroup for qualifiers and showed be proud display

Obviously questions remain displince clare and needs be sorted as clare man correctly posted here before the game if no man was sent off and they keep their discipline they would win

Nobody likes loosing but imo clare even loosing better position than limerick as clare more scope for improvement and I can't see limerick improving by much

Limerick win was like munster final two years ago where struggled for hour beat cork but won but the warning signs were there and when they got to the semi were beaten

Imo limerick will not win an all-ireland

Moral victory?? Are you serious... we had a man sent off again... again we lacked discipline. How many cheap frees.. Davy made a tool of himself chasing the referee down the tunnel again..
    We were 4 points down and playing an extra man at the back.. It was only the individual brilliance of Hammy that took the poor look of the performance.

He is on the box again like a sulking child...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Figerty wrote: »
    Moral victory?? Are you serious... we had a man sent off again... again we lacked discipline. How many cheap frees.. Davy made a tool of himself chasing the referee down the tunnel again..
    We were 4 points down and playing an extra man at the back.. It was only the individual brilliance of Hammy that took the poor look of the performance.

Thank you!

Figerty wrote: »

Great opportunity for people against Davy to critse him but as sheedy said get galvin mcgrath and bulger back there serous team

Discipline huge issues I agree but the fight courage and never give up testament to manager and course sheedy and Ryan galvin donnell all said they belive in Davy

Davy interview was actually quite gracious and he didn't attack ref but he made valid points

He said it here he's going nowhere for the next few years and great to hear
    He won't be sacked either and there's no one better manage clare than him

He had tactics spot on
    Went out defensive first half and would have went all out attack with out sending off while still keeping shape

Daly certainly keen friend Davy won't go in until Davy leaves in won't go in over he's head
    Team were outstanding today never gave up
    They deserve immense credit and Davy also
    Brilliant post match interview in was mellow compared to past times when he was out of line

• Advertisement

On the plus side, great experience for some of the younger lads.
    Great displays by Cunningham and J.Browne.
    And while they didn't have everything their own way, Reidy Golden and Gearoid did ok and will better for the experience.

We have Bugler and McGrath to come back.

Will Cian Dillon ever learn, with the unnecessary fouling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Figerty

Great opportunity for people against Davy to critse him but as sheedy said get galvin mcgrath and bulger back there serous team

Discipline huge issues I agree but the fight courage and never give up testament to manager and course sheedy and Ryan galvin donnell all said they belive in Davy

Davy interview was actually quite gracious and he didn't attack ref but he made valid points

He said it here he's going nowhere for the next few years and great to hear
    He won't be sacked either and there's no one better manage clare than him

He had tactics spot on
    Went out defensive first half and would have went all out attack with out sending off while still keeping shape

Daly certainly keen friend Davy won't go in until Davy leaves in won't go in over he's head
    Team were outstanding today never gave up
    They deserve immense credit and Davy also
    Brilliant post match interview in was mellow compared to past times when he was out of line

That is a fair point about getting them back; but who else is going to get sent off. Conor McGrath was a massive loss to be fair.
    He won't be sacked, because of the power stranglehold they have.
    I fear your version of a brilliant version isn't very brilliant. Spoiled child that didn't get his way; if RTE wanted to rise him it would have been very easy.
    We lost the game..... great tactics ya.... we were down six points and it was only the brilliance of a sub that take the paucity of the tactics out of it..
    He left Donal Donovan to get roasted repeatedly.

The only reason the post match interview was tempered was that he knows that if he went off on a rant he would be outside the wire again.
    This is a great Clare hurling team; a team that is capable of much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It was Limerick they were playing today not tipp or KK. There was no moral victory today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I hope ye Clare lads realise that TTM is a cute Cork hoor who wants to do everything possible to keep Davy in the job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SteakandKidney

He had tactics spot on Went out defensive first half and would have went all out attack with out sending off while still keeping shape

Hunger, never die attitude etc can be attributed to the manager to some degree but you would expect that from any modern day intercounty player of either code.
    The discipline issues have to stop with management. It's quiet evident from the last 15 months that referees perceive the way clare tackle is outside the realms of fair play. If that's the case you identify where your problems are and you work on them. Going out doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results is naive at best idiotic at worst. that lays at the feet of management if it is and ongoing problem and nothing seems to have been done to address it.
    Tactics were what you would come to expect of Clare at present but as mentioned before playing a defensive screen when you are 4 points down is not going to win you games. But for Cunninghams moment of brilliance and a poorly timed tackle by Hickey we were in trouble.
    His interview was car crash stuff. He is about as subtle as a sledge. Yes he didn't abuse the ref but all but said clare were wronged and have continued to be wronged.
    Listen they are obviously a tight group and Davy and his team have a bond there otherwise you would have the problems of earlier in the year snowballing. He will always credited and rightly so for 2013 but to say all is rosey in the garden and to come out with the above is a little deluded.

Gutted with that, thought we might have got a replay. I think looking back now Linerick were deserving winners, so credit must go to them. And their boy Lynch is a gem, as I guess we knew.

I dont know, I feel so sad again. After all the unavailabilty of players, disciplines and losses this year theres just no positivity in Clare senior hurlers now over the last 12 months. I guess its a bit of dillusionment, I never thought coming out of Croke Park in 2013 that all we will lose all our next c'ship games. And holy bloody christ, if Kelly has pulled his right hamstring, like, thats all our best players gone for the next game.

I have to give a special mention before I finish to young Cunningham. That was an incredible cameo he had. I rate Hickey really highly, top 5 back easily in the country for me, but the poor guy must have been wondering what just happened in the last few minutes when he had to be taken off.

I hope we can bounce back and get our injuries cleared up. We wouldnt have beaten tipp I dont think anyway. Davy needs to cop on with how he uses his players, at on stage he had Reidy up top and SOD 45m from goal. When he pushed his player up we got 2 goals..

Cunningham was serious from the bench, his pace absolutely destroyed us. Took his goals really well too, I mean he left Hickey for dead, who is not a slow. May have been a bit tired but bloody hell, Cunningham looked sharp.

And after he killed us in the 21s last year, I really wish he'd just leave us alone. He didn't have a great league but exploded into the Championship today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Home a while and still very annoyed.

Why we cannot take a team on 15 against 15 or even 14 as was the case today is beyond me. With respect to Limerick they are not the best team in the country and we are afraid to go toe to toe.

Fireball07 wrote:
    Cunningham was serious from the bench, his pace absolutely destroyed us. Took his goals really well too, I mean he left Hickey for dead, who is not a slow. May have been a bit tired but bloody hell, Cunningham looked sharp.

I find he is your perfect example of a player being stifilled by Davys system, hence him not translating his u21 form. He is rangey and really quick and Maloney/O'Connor were able to get him quick ball one on one at u21 level, he was arguably the best forward in the u21 championship last year. With Davy he has to contend with being mostly 2v1 situations and it robbs him of his treat. After Tobins sending of we could see how good he can be in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Could someone clarify who we can play in the first round of the qualifiers ? Is it the losers of one of the quarter finals in Leinster or could it be one of the losers of the semis In Munster and Leinster too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Could someone clarify who we can play in the first round of the qualifiers ? Is it the losers of one of the quarter finals in Leinster or could it be one of the losers of the semis In Munster and Leinster too?

As best I recall from lat year round one was the three Munster losers from qf and sf in pot one (along with one team from Leinster, to be paired against the remaining teams from Leinster. Presume it is the same this year.

eoins23456 wrote: »

from what i know the 3 loseing teams in munster and 1 leinster team will be drawing out against 4 losing leinster teams

for example

clare v leinster loser 1

munster loser 2 v leinster loser 2

munster loser 3 v leinster loser 3

leinster loser 4 v leinster loser 4

the 2nd round will be between the 4 winners

winner 1 v winner 2

winner 3 v winner 4

the two winning teams will play in the all ireland 1/4 final against two losing provincial final teams

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is there any prospect of David Tubridy and Shane McGrath being back for the Cork game?

taught we played well at times today especially to fight back from 6 down , still feel we were slightly unlucky not geting the draw but fair play to limerick they ha us on the ropes for most of the game , davey fitzs inability to use the full squad through out the league came back to bite us in the arse today , bobby duggen was way off the pace when he came on , it took gudgie ages to get up to the pace too , and with no experience at this level it was expected aarron cunninghan showed what he can do when given a chance these guys needed more game time through out the league some of these lads only got minuets over the league

there will be a mixed view over the next couple of weeks from people around the county but it has to be stressed most of these guys are sitll only in the 22 to 24 age bracket its a bit early for the flash in the pan stuff dispite what people up and down the country think , i genuinely think the qualifiers will suite us and i do expect us to be in and around the business side of things later in the year , better days to come !!!

In the RTE interview Davy seems to be suggesting that the free count in favour of Limerick was dodgy refereeing.

I hope he doesn't have his head planted in the sand, and realises that we are simply fouling too much.
    (His complaining to the ref even after the game ended doesn't seem like a good sign)

Let the forward shoot under pressure if needs be, rather than always giving away the easy free

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is there any prospect of David Tubridy and Shane McGrath being back for the Cork game?

not sure has tubridy done much training i doubt he will be back seems as he has been out so long , hopfully shane mcgrath will be back , shane brennan broke his collerbone last night so he is definitely out mcragaths return couldnt be better timed , although davey o'hollaran was impressive last night

been to a number of the footballers games this year we havent had the same spark outside of the county so hopfully we can change that in a few weeks time and give cork a decent run for there money

In the RTE interview Davy seems to be suggesting that the free count in favour of Limerick was dodgy refereeing.

I hope he doesn't have his head planted in the sand, and realises that we are simply fouling too much.
    (His complaining to the ref even after the game ended doesn't seem like a good sign)

Let the forward shoot under pressure if needs be, rather than always giving away the easy free

They actually got two phantom frees in the first half. The lads in commentary couldn't see any foul and either could i. The first ball in in the second half comes off the Limerick man and the umpire gives a 65 which was scored. He was 5 yards away from it. 5 ****en yards.

100% agree , as someone said on the limerick thread earlier we need to change our style of tackle we seem to give away an awfull lot of "clips" to the body and hand , also something similar to the choke tackle in rugby when tackling from the side or behind the player with the arm over the opposing players shoulder

100% agree , as someone said on the limerick thread earlier we need to change our style of tackle we seem to give away an awfull lot of "clips" to the body and hand , also something similar to the choke tackle in rugby when tackling from the side or behind the player with the arm over the opposing players shoulder

The need to fix this, but first step is recognizing there's a problem

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    They actually got two phantom frees in the first half. The lads in commentary couldn't see any foul and either could i. The first ball in in the second half comes off the Limerick man and the umpire gives a 65 which was scored. He was 5 yards away from it. 5 ****en yards.

So you can understand why Davy was frustrated and he was right to give out

Interestingly, most Limerick people around me felt we were hard done by with the ref's decision; I did think Clare were doing a lot of pulling & dragging which didn't get whistled on. Limerick were probably at the same but the referee really didn't have control of the game.

I would have been very pissed off with that '65 though, that was definitely a wide and Dowling slotted it which proved crucial in the end. I guess whining over little things is seen as small but every score was going to be crucial, and that was a shocking decision by the umpire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

So you can understand why Davy was frustrated and he was right to give out

As a neutral I didn't see any great bias from the ref. There could've been a little more added time at the end but there were no unusual stoppages. Whatever credit Davy had for past achievements must be nearly fully depleted by now. This bunker mentality for each after match interview is getting tiresome. The facts are that Clare still haven't won a championship game since 2013. They might have a few guys to return, but that's no guarantee they'll be the difference next time out.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Interestingly, most Limerick people around me felt we were hard done by with the ref's decision; I did think Clare were doing a lot of pulling & dragging which didn't get whistled on. Limerick were probably at the same but the referee really didn't have control of the game.

I would have been very pissed off with that '65 though, that was definitely a wide and Dowling slotted it which proved crucial in the end. I guess whining over little things is seen as small but every score was going to be crucial, and that was a shocking decision by the umpire.

There was also the free in the second half which looked to be clearly wide and the same umpire hadn't a clue and decided to give it as a point.

niallo27 wrote: »
    There was also the free in the second half which looked to be clearly wide and the same umpire hadn't a clue and decided to give it as a point.

It was a point as the Sunday game showed, but 100% agree that umpire had no idea. The amount of them that don't have the cop on to stand in the optimal position to judge the flight of a ball is absolutely mind boggling. You can move from right beside the post if needs be lads.

Though ref not great overall but not in favour of any team really, I though one or two very soft frees in the first half for Limerick were balanced out by one or two blatent fouls in scorable positions by us in the second half that we got away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

marco_polo wrote: »
    It was a point as the Sunday game showed, but 100% agree that umpire had no idea. The amount of them that don't have the cop on to stand in the optimal position to judge the flight of a ball is absolutely mind boggling. You can move from right beside the post if needs be lads.

Though ref not great overall but not in favour of any team really, I though one or two very soft frees in the first half for Limerick were balanced out by one or two blatent fouls in scorable positions by us in the second half that we got away with.

This. People remember the dodgy frees given as opposed to blatent ones let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

The Clare hurlers have been my "second team" for a good while now, but the two most sickening incidents I've seen in hurling this year have come from the same Clare player..There is a s**t storm being kicked up in the football counties at the moment regarding mouthing off to an opponent, and rightly so after some of the things that are said, but in the hurling world we tend to ignore some glaring problems. Hitting the deck like a bag of s***e to get a man sent off is common place in some other sports but it's creeping in to our beloved game. Pat O Conner is a fine hurler but he is letting himself, Clare and hurling itself down by feigning a belt. He's not the only one but after today he's the most consistent one. What would Lohan, Seanie, Lynch etc think of it?

I'd love to know what the Clare supporters think of his antics. Are the old values of hurling going to be lost (hurl hard, hurl fair and may the best team win), or are we going to go the way of soccer where a game loses it's soul and it's all about the dramatics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Dien wrote: »
    The Clare hurlers have been my "second team" for a good while now, but the two most sickening incidents I've seen in hurling this year have come from the same Clare player..There is a s**t storm being kicked up in the football counties at the moment regarding mouthing off to an opponent, and rightly so after some of the things that are said, but in the hurling world we tend to ignore some glaring problems. Hitting the deck like a bag of s***e to get a man sent off is common place in some other sports but it's creeping in to our beloved game. Pat O Conner is a fine hurler but he is letting himself, Clare and hurling itself down by feigning a belt. He's not the only one but after today he's the most consistent one. What would Lohan, Seanie, Lynch etc think of it?

I'd love to know what the Clare supporters think of his antics. Are the old values of hurling going to be lost (hurl hard, hurl fair and may the best team win), or are we going to go the way of soccer where a game loses it's soul and it's all about the dramatics?
    Its been around for years, remember Niall Moran rolling around like he was taken out by a sniper in 2008 in the final seconds of the match. I had rated Niall Moran prior to that.

Dien wrote: »
    Pat O Conner is a fine hurler but he is letting himself, Clare and hurling itself down by feigning a belt. He's not the only one but after today he's the most consistent one. What would Lohan, Seanie, Lynch etc think of it?

Before having a go at Pat O'Connor, first let me drive the butt of my hurley into your rib cage, and then we can continue the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Before having a go at Pat O'Connor, first let me drive the butt of my hurley into your rib cage, and then we can continue the discussion

Pretty sure he didn't even make contact, it wasn't as if he led with the Hurley, stupid to get involved but bad form from the Clare player who started the shouldering and then dived to get a lad sent off, Conor Ryan 'celebrating' the red too...classy team in the mould of their manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Did Donal O'Grady really need to be stretchered off yesterday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement