Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Households must pay for water meters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Every fuckin' time with the SF shite............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I don't agree with the actions of the I.R.A. but I didn't grow up in the North when Catholics were treated like dogs. It's easy for us, in the Republic, to call these people scum when we never experienced the troubles. Yes, many acts of the IRA were immoral, but so were the acts of the British Army and the Unionists.

And I wouldn't vote for them either. The IRA carried out the worse actions during the troubles. I didn't grow up in the north either, but as a human being I do not agree with the **** they carried out and for SF never once to condemn the actions of the IRA says it all. Hasn't Martin McGuinness admited that he was a member, but never killed anyone?

Anyway back on topic, I won't pay for something I don't want. And at €300 per house is crazy, I quoted a few years ago for commerical meters and they where nothing near that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I don't agree with the actions of the I.R.A. but I didn't grow up in the North when Catholics were treated like dogs. It's easy for us, in the Republic, to call these people scum when we never experienced the troubles. Yes, many acts of the IRA were immoral, but so were the acts of the British Army and the Unionists.
    The British Army are not seeking power in this country, the murdering hypocrites in SF and their supporters in the Man United jerseys on the other hand are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its amazing how some people can be so clueless. So according to you there is absolutely no difference between what falls from the clouds and what comes out of your tap? Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Go ask the people of Galway city.;)
    bet they would gladly drink what falls from the sky at this stage as opposed to the "treated" ****e thats flowing from their taps.

"Treated" ****e that they already have paid for through their general taxation. Ignorance is indeed a bliss.;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I was waiting for this. Do you really think the mainstream parties are any more moral? It's like the bankers and a desperate petty thief. Legality and morality are not always the same thing. Perhaps if Bertie and Enda had grown up in Derry people would say "they have blood on their hands".
    Dry those misty eyes and wake up to reality.

Anyway, if you really think Sinn Fein would somehow take Ireland out of the EU you're deluded.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sigh...

You're talking crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

lividduck wrote: »
    ... murdered by your mates in "the Republican Movement"

Yeah, I go for a pint with them every second Saturday. I think I'll just stop right here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Joko wrote: »
    It costs a fortune to source, treat, pump, pipe and dispose of drinking water.

Yes correct. And that is paid for by the general taxation of each and every taxpayer in the land. Anything else you've been told to the contrary is pure and utter bull.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

washman3 wrote: »
    Yes correct. And that is paid for by the general taxation of each and every taxpayer in the land. Anything else you've been told to the contrary is pure and utter bull.;)

In fairness the point is the Taxes we have been paying are now been used to pay the IMF because of the wnakers who buggered this country up. Sure they will be alright, they still have their massive pensions and millions tucked safe away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Main headline on today's The Sunday Times. Link to story here.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/householders-must-pay-for-water-meter-installation-547549.html?m=false

So not only will you be responsible as a householder to pay for your water but also for the expensive installation of a water meter. Yet again your local authority has let you down through bad planning and development.

Again ask yourself where did all the money go, the millions paid in levies. Why weren't developers forced during planning and construction process to provide meters.

Estimates from government is that it will cost €300-€350 but experts which thr government have none say it will be closer to €500-€600.
    Well you have a choice of paying directly for it through the meter surcharge or indirectly through general taxation. Either way you pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭flutered

If you care about something, fine, but the way you phrase it sounds bitter.
    that is your interpation, if biggins is bitter perhaps he has a reason for it, i was released from hospital yesterday, as i type this i am layered in clothing, why you ask, because my personal allowance for heating is used up, no heating until tomorrow, now perhaps you may be getting the drift, biggins cares for my country, as do i, i paid income tax @ 62%, a morgage/ overdraft @ 27%, then i see that apologist for an irishman kenny recieving a teachers pension, a teachers wages while a td, he has more allowances than an onion has layers, he and his cabinet will never have to stay wrapped against the cold whille sitting at the kitchen table, back in the day i got to know a few good irish men who were prepared to die for my country, now i see selfish irish people who are not prepared to take an expenses cut to help my country, so a few people wonder about bitterness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »
    I’d have no objection in principle, though there probably wouldn’t be a well in most gardens I think. And there may be other issues in build up areas. But certainly people could look at rain harvesting mechanisms.

If they want the convenience of piped water then people should pay for it, and as is the case with electricity and gas and so on, paying according to the amount you use seems perfectly sensible to me. But if people do not want these conveniences then they should have the right not to have them if that is there wish. I'd fully support anyone taking that stance.

YOU would have no objection?

Who the hell are you? The King of Ireland or something:confused:
    Why should anyone give a flying fig what you object, or do not object to?

Is this finally some kind of admission from yourself that your a Government shill or Politician?
    No more so that electricity or gas / oil. We can survive without any of these things piped into our homes but at a cost of considerable inconvenience.

There is no more a case for free water than there is for free gas. The only difference is, we are used to paying for gas in proportion to the amount we use. That is not the case for water.

God help us all so if the lying thieving bastards ever discover how to tax us on the air we breathe so:rolleyes:
    I'm possibly not being very clear in my post. Of course water is not free.

A percentage of our paye and various other taxes already contribute to our public water supplies, so why are we being asked to pay again?

Will they decreaseIncome tax, VAT, USC and any other scam fcuking tax they can think off, now that we will be paying directly for water? (after all, thats what we were told that tax money was being spent on)

I dont think so some how.
    how twice?

See above explaination.
    You should print that on a poster and deliver one to every house in Ireland.

Now, where will we find enough ink to print that many posters?

The Govt should have plenty of ink in supply, due to the amount saved by not sending invoices for the HHC, but wait.........

They afterall, sent millions of 'final demands' out to homes, reminding them that a payment to bondholders in Germanytowards a tax on their home was due.

EVEN to estates, yes WHOLE estates that were exempt.

I'd like to quote a poster from a previous thread (cant remember who now) who geniusely described the current coalition Gov as....

"a useless bunch of swivel eyed gombeens" :D

Let any man try and enter my private property to install something ?I never asked for, then charge me for doing so, and THEN expect me to pay a rental fee forever on it......

They will leave quicker than they arrived, that is a promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Lets stay on topic.
    Unless the IRA start poisoning the water, theyve no place in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Surely, there'll be a way of getting free water...circumventing these meters would surely be possible, after all this is Ireland so the meters won't be foolproof

Yep, very easy to circumventing the meter and leaving it to show minimal water use........ very easy indeed, if you know what your doing.
    Needs to be done from day 1 though as a sudden drop in usage might raise suspicion.;)

You know, this is just like the household tax. I suppose renters won't be liable and council tenants too.

More discrimination from FG/Labour.

They should hang their heads in shame, or maybe just hang..........

5live wrote: »
    Well you have a choice of paying directly for it through the meter surcharge or indirectly through general taxation. Either way you pay

Are we not paying already through general taxation??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Now now childrens remember what big Phil said about being patriotic!

I wonder has the kunt paid his service charges on his hideaway in Portugal yet?

Where's black frannie & dv power, they'd love this thread.
    I think tax to them is a sexual thing...
    Oh Jesus, alastair should be back from his little 'holiday' soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Go ask the people of Galway city.;)
    bet they would gladly drink what falls from the sky at this stage as opposed to the "treated" ****e thats flowing from their taps.

"Treated" ****e that they already have paid for through their general taxation. Ignorance is indeed a bliss.;)
    Yes correct. And that is paid for by the general taxation of each and every taxpayer in the land. Anything else you've been told to the contrary is pure and utter bull.

Astonishing. I will try and explain it to you once more. Drinking water costs money to provide, the same as electricity or gas yet you have no problem paying for them. Do you refuse to pay for electricity because it sometimes comes from the clouds too? Your reasoning is so flawed.

Nobody is disputing the fact that its payed for in our taxes, it clearly is. The point I am making is that it isn't unreasonable to be charged for water on top of everything else based on how much you use, considering its a finite resource that is very expensive to provide, the same as electricity and gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

5live wrote: »

We already pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

gerryo777 wrote: »

"No!"

That was a responce posted on behalf of the FG and labour party! :D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    "No!"

That was a responce posted on behalf of the FG and labour party! :D

You forgot to include parties to the GPA.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Are you aware that we have a budget deficit?

Which is caused by.........come on........you can admit it Lugha!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

If you pay for the water meter then it belongs to you and that makes you responsible for its maintainance and any repairs to it, so thats a nice little money spinner for the water company/government in the future, especially if the meters are fitted where they are prone to weather related damage.

But if the meter is mine, can I then charge them for using it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Ghandee wrote: »
    YOU would have no objection?

Who the hell are you? The King of Ireland or something:confused:
    Why should anyone give a flying fig what you object, or do not object to?

Is this finally some kind of admission from yourself that your a Government shill of some kind?
    What are you bleating on about??? Ah, never mind. I doubt if you know yourself. :D
    God help us all so if the lying thieving bastards ever discover how to tax us on the air we breathe so:rolleyes:

Maybe you should start a political party that won’t have any taxes or charges on anything? :rolleyes:

Seriously, have you any half credible ideas as to how we might address the current crisis without introducing some new taxes or charges? Or will your only contribution be clownish posts like this one? :rolleyes:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Which is caused by.........come on........you can admit it Lugha!:D
    Whats you on about F?

Are you having a cut at my opinion that PS wages and SW should not be cut, despite the fact that that is NOT my opinion?

Must have got too much sun today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Stinicker wrote: »
    Water = Life, so pay up or die, yes nice idealogy, NeoCon America called its wants its ideology back. Plus it is Ireland its rains practically non-stop and we have more than our fair share of rainfall, it is another stealth tax to bailout the Fianna Fail gamblers I won't be paying.

Water is paid for out of general taxation, and we pay too much of this already, I swear it is if the Government has went and gone Ryanair on the whole country, every little thing is a separate charge now.

Yes it rains a lot but this water you drink comes from the ground and needs to be treated and distributed. Both of these are quite expensive.

Look the government spends a lot more money than it takes in in taxation so taxes have to be raised to fill this gap. A €12bn deficit will require every man woman and child to pay €2666 more in taxes than currently to balance the books. Importantly his deficit would exist if there was no bank bailout.

The reality is taxes on everyone have to rise (especially the poorest because they make up the largest group and least taxed) and it is delusional to think otherwise. The real problem is we've gotten used to a lifestyle we can no longer afford and could never really afford and we have to cut our cloth to measure.

Whats you on about F?

Are you having a cut at my opinion that PS wages and SW should not be cut, despite the fact that that is NOT my opinion?

Must have got too much sun today.

Come on Lugha.......you're nearly there.:D Ah the truth is bitter, innit?

And yet ANOTHER Public Sector quango is formed:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0415/households-to-pay-cost-of-water-meters.html

The Cabinet will discuss the final details of setting up a new public sector body dealing with the country's water supply on Tuesday.
    Irish Water will introduce water metering and take over the running of water services from local authorities.

Meters will be installed to 1m households over the next two to three years.
    A further 300,000 apartments will not have meters and will pay a fixed charge.

Installation of water meters will begin in the next few months.
    The Commission for Energy Regulation will regulate services and will be responsible for determining the cost of charges, the free allowance and the framework for levying charges.

Look the government spends a lot more money than it takes in in taxation so taxes have to be raised to fill this gap. A €12bn deficit will require every man woman and child to pay €2666 more in taxes than currently to balance the books. Importantly his deficit would exist if there was no bank bailout.

Delusion is what you've posted above. The deficit is actually some €20Bn, caused by PS/CS pay/"entitlements", for which the country is borrowing €400m every week. At least get your facts straight.

The ones who have gotten used to "a lifestyle we can't afford", as you so eloquently put it, are the cosseted ranks of the Public Sector and Civil Service. For which the rest of us are expected to pay.

The bank debt is completely separate. And pales into insignificance when you consider that, over the next ten years, we will borrow - as a nation - TWO HUNDRED BILLION EURO to keep these wages and "entitlements" at the rate they are now at.

What are you bleating on about??? Ah, never mind. I doubt if you know yourself. :D

Bleatings not my style Lugha, I aint no sheep kind sir.

I merely asked why anyone in Ireland should care because you would have no objection to someone sinking a well in a garden, in order to bypass a water meter.

Like I already asked, what makes your obections or non objections so important, or did you mean you, in the context of you, and the rest of the Government?

Maybe you should start a political party that won’t have any taxes or charges on anything? :rolleyes:

Seriously, have you any half credible ideas as to how we might address the current crisis without introducing some new taxes or charges? Or will your only contribution be clownish posts like this one? :rolleyes:

You see, the trouble with this, as pointed out a good few times on this thread already, is that its not even paying twice for a service (a bad service in my case, I buy 4€ double cartons of water to drink once a week for our house as the water is not drinkable!) we will be payoing for it, renting it, and paying tax on it too.

Like I said already, only the swivel eyed gombeens havent figured out how to implement an oxygen tax, we'd all be breathing in shallow breaths by now.

Your response was very poisoned tbh, dont think you enjoyed being accused of a government shill, even if you didnt actually deny it yet.

This isnt the only thread you've been infecting with propaganda bullshiit either.

Paging blackfrancis, dvpower, allastair and co........

Reinforcements are on the way folks, watch this space.

we have to cut our cloth to measure.

Agreed. We need to cut spending by billions. The Croke Park Agreement needs to be ripped up and the unions taken on.

Pensions need to be cut, social welfare needs to be cut, public sector wages need to be cut or numbers cut.

Income tax and corporation tax hikes will also be necessary until we get the 400,000 back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Agreed. We need to cut spending by billions. The Croke Park Agreement needs to be ripped up and the unions taken on.

Pensions need to be cut, social welfare needs to be cut, public sector wages need to be cut or numbers cut.

Income tax and corporation tax hikes will also be necessary until we get the 400,000 back to work.

Yes cut the social welfare bill and cripple the poor even further, are you in Fianna Fail by any chance, maybe cut a few billion from the banks and every other fraudster instead.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes cut the social welfare bill and cripple the poor even further, are you in Fianna Fail by any chance, maybe cut a few billion from the banks and every other fraudster instead.

Not a member of any political party.

I'm self employed and my income has been substantially reduced in the past three years. I have sympathy for those on social welfare but we simply cannot afford to pay the current levels. Would you rather that those of us still working pay more tax?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Delusion is what you've posted above. The deficit is actually some €20Bn, caused by PS/CS pay/"entitlements", for which the country is borrowing €400m every week. At least get your facts straight.

The ones who have gotten used to "a lifestyle we can't afford", as you so eloquently put it, are the cosseted ranks of the Public Sector and Civil Service. For which the rest of us are expected to pay.

The bank debt is completely separate. And pales into insignificance when you consider that, over the next ten years, we will borrow - as a nation - TWO HUNDRED BILLION EURO to keep these wages and "entitlements" at the rate they are now at.

Well we won't be borrowing €200bn as inflation will see to that. What will happen is that we will limp on with static wages and rising prices all the while becoming less well off in real terms. Ireland cannot be a wealthy nation unless we discover something we can do which no other nation can - and our opportunities here are in energy, particularly renewables.

I agree that spending cuts could close the gap, but with such high rates of unemployment this would lead to severe difficulties for many people, pushing them into real poverty. Pay for the PS too could be cut but as a nation we must retain a functioning public sector as far too many people rely and depend on it, hospital strikes lead to dead people for example. An element of reality will have to be brought to the public sector though and in the post Croke Park world there will be further cuts and forced redundancies I imagine.

Politically it would be too painful to achieve all the necessary savings through cuts thats why taxes must rise. Ultimately this means that our collective standard of living will fall. That means the poor becoming poorer, people dying younger, less places in university for young people and larger class sizes among other things. Only when we face up to this reality will we be able to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Of course the property owner should pay for the meter. Where the hell else is the money going to come from?

The only mistake that the government are making is this suggestion that householders shouldn't also pay for installation, but I guess that will be factored into the price of the meter.

Here we go again. The leftie loonies who want somebody else to pay for everything for them will be off whinging again. Get over it. It's only a few hundred euro which ultimately is insignificant in terms of what you have to contribute to get this country back on its feet (before we ever repay a penny of the bank bailout).

Let's not go thru it all again. The household charge is in and here to stay, water charges will follow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MadYaker wrote: »
    Fianna Fail should have introduced a water charge and a property tax years ago. Useless c*nts.
    The main reason we are in this mess is that FF bought the 1977 general election by abolishing household rates.

Had they not done that then rates would have reduced the cost of houses during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Yes it rains a lot but this water you drink comes from the ground and needs to be treated and distributed. Both of these are quite expensive.

The reality is taxes on everyone have to rise (especially the poorest because they make up the largest group and least taxed) and it is delusional to think otherwise. The real problem is we've gotten used to a lifestyle we can no longer afford and could never really afford and we have to cut our cloth to measure.

2666 is approximately 222 a month and approximately 55 euro a week.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    2666 is approximately 222 a month and approximately 55 euro a week.

Your point please?:confused:

I merely asked why anyone in Ireland should care because you would have no objection to someone sinking a well in a garden, in order to bypass a water meter.

I was offering my opinion? That is how discussion boards work didn’t you know. You post something, and that something is your opinion. Would you like me to precede every post I make with “In my opinion:”
    in the context of you, and the rest of the Government?
    You think I am in the government????? I think the sun has been getting to a lot of people today. :)
    This isnt the only thread you've been infecting with propaganda bullshiit either.
    Again, this is how discussion boards work. Posters with one view offer their opinion and those that disagree refute what they say, or evade it (and your reluctance to answer my question as to what new taxes, if any, you would introduce in the current climate is noted).

Perhaps you would like to go to the ranting and raving forum (if it still exists)? I understand the rules there forbid rants and raves to be challenged. Alas, here you will have to put up with dissenting voices. Ain’t life a bitch? :(

(If you were more sure of your argument, methinks you wouldn’t be so easily rattled by those that disagree with you ;))

Of course the property owner should pay for the meter. Where the hell else is the money going to come from?

The only mistake that the government are making is this suggestion that householders shouldn't also pay for installation, but I guess that will be factored into the price of the meter.

Here we go again. The leftie loonies who want somebody else to pay for everything for them will be off whinging again. Get over it. It's only a few hundred euro which ultimately is insignificant in terms of what you have to contribute to get this country back on its feet (before we ever repay a penny of the bank bailout).

Let's not go thru it all again. The household charge is in and here to stay, water charges will follow.

LOL........

And we're off!

Reinforcements have arrived, the bat signal is shining brighly over FG HQ........

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »

No.

Someday you'll grasp the reality that we are spending a hell of a lot more than we are raising in tax. The way out is a combination of spending cuts and increases in taxes.

I'm sorry for the NIMBY's like you, but you just need to chip in and pay your share (and your penalties for late payment which will help everyone else a bit).

Politically it would be too painful to achieve all the necessary savings through cuts thats why taxes must rise. Ultimately this means that our collective standard of living will fall. That means the poor becoming poorer, people dying younger, less places in university for young people and larger class sizes among other things. Only when we face up to this reality will we be able to change it.

All this while we see people from the civil service retiring with massive packages and pensions. Somebody retired back in January with a package of 800,000 and a yearly pension of 150,000+

We see Pat Kenny on a yearly income of 700,000 euro a year. I realise that he and his ilk are not public sector but RTE will be saved with a broadcasting charge. When I was renting I lived very happily without a tv or laptop. I have a phone but it's and ordinary, cheap, run of the mill android and far from tv and rte I use it for.

There are far too much people that are paid far too generously here in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I think it fair enough to ask people to pay for the water they use. A lot of people tend to waste water without really thinking about it and I believe it's quite a common thing in Europe. However, I think it's unfair to expect people to pay this tax when a huge amount of water is wasted before it even gets to people's taps due to leakages in pipes and the fact that you are already paying on top of that the household charge, which will only go up next year, that is supposedly suppose to go towards amenities and services in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I hate to say it but if these twats in Government are p1ssing away my money I wish they would at least spend it on some good PR advice.

They could have just hidden the charge in the actual water rates and said they were "free"

Utter fuking morons.

These are the people a lot of you voted into power.

Your point please?:confused:

I didn't have a point. I was just doing some sums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think it fair enough to ask people to pay for the water they use. A lot of people tend to waste water without really thinking about it and I believe it's quite a common thing in Europe. However, I think it's unfair to expect people to pay this tax when a huge amount of water is wasted before it even gets to people's taps due to leakages in pipes and the fact that you are already paying on top of that the household charge, which will only go up next year, that is supposedly suppose to go towards amenities and services in the community.

A lot of the problem in fixing leaks is actually finding them first. If they do the water metering properly (fingers crossed) it should be incredibly easy to find them.

• Advertisement

I'd be just about able to stomach a flat rate

LOL........

And we're off!

Reinforcements have arrived, the bat signal is shining brighly over FG HQ........

I just don't get your obsession with my political views?

I'm not sure whether you are Sinn Féin or United Left Alliance (or neither) & frankly I don't give a damn. But I'll tell you very clearly that Enda isn't nearly as determined to sort this mess out as I'd like to see. That is why I am not an FG supporter.

If McDowell came back and set up a new party to tackle this country, I'd welcome it. Maybe that will sort out this issue for you for once and for all?

BTW, I know this forum is dominated by left wingers, indeed recent polls show just how heavily biased it is, so before you jump down my throat for having a different point of view > Tough!!! This is a democracy, I'm entitled to support who I want.

Nonsense we do pay through general taxation. But since we have bailed out the banks and have 400,000 unemployed those taxes are no longer sustainable.

Taxpayers get nothing for free in this country.

With this initial outlay between €300-€600 depending on who you listen too and the annual charge of €300-€500 depending on what you use I'd recommend spending your money on sinking a well. It will have paid for itself in two to three years.

No.

Someday you'll grasp the reality that we are spending a hell of a lot more than we are raising in tax. The way out is a combination of spending cuts and increases in taxes.

I'm sorry for the NIMBY's like you, but you just need to chip in and pay your share (and your penalties for late payment which will help everyone else a bit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

A lot of cities in ''Europe'' are just big smelly kips. Should we go down that route too? Fancy Dublin, Cork or Galway smelling like Barcelona or looking like Brussels?

Bit of cop people please. The water charge money will leak into some fvckers pocket or pension scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree.

Granted social welfare recipients will probably not pay for meters but I would like them to clarify where the money for the costs of meter installation and upkeep is going to come from. Also how much this is expected to be per flat/home/caravan/etc. There are a lot of properties, period houses and so on where installing water meters onsite is not going to be straightforward.

I believe landlords are probably going to be screwed to the wall to have to pay to install all those water meters in all those flats. As it would be unfair to burden a renting tenant to pay for a property's water metering system that is to the landlords ultimate benefit.

I also think it's extremely fortuitous that this is coming in the midst of council water cuts and council water rationing.

Also I would like to see estimates of the average yearly cost & a guarantee that every penny paid goes only to water supply costs. Another thing is what kind of assurances are there that the prices will not simply creep up and up and up and up and up year on year like every f***ing thing else in this country.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64157227

That is from 2 years ago. I love the way our ever vigilant newspaper and broadcast media are so on the ball as to put these questions to our politicians in a timely manner like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement