Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Fantasy Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pretty much stayed the same after the European event(378th), took a chance on Jaidee as Captain, no joy there and I didn't have Stenson either! Scored points with Wiesberger and Garcia. Hoping to get something in the US event, I have Thomas, Hoffman, Summerhays and Chappell.

How's anyone else doing so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jimmers

Garcia as (C) plus Wiesberger and Luiten so a few points there. 2 missed the cut in Europe. Up to 249 from 315 so far. However while my 3 US tour players made the cut all have finished down the field so I will slip back later I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 genghis26

Just a quick heads up in case anyone wasn't aware but the Greenbrier Classic, due to start 6/7, has been cancelled due to flooding.

So it's only going to be the Scottish Open that week.

genghis26 wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up in case anyone wasn't aware but the Greenbrier Classic, due to start 6/7, has been cancelled due to flooding.

So it's only going to be the Scottish Open that week.

In light of that news here is the current entry list for the Scottish Open for some early planning.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016052/teetimes/index.html

Wonder is it likely that more players from the US tour could be accommodated in the Scottish Open field with no US tournament?

Pretty much stayed the same after the European event(378th), took a chance on Jaidee as Captain, no joy there and I didn't have Stenson either! Scored points with Wiesberger and Garcia. Hoping to get something in the US event, I have Thomas, Hoffman, Summerhays and Chappell.

Pretty disappointing 12th and 21st from Thomas and Summerhays albeit I managed to move up a whopping 4 places. That U.S event was a low scorer in general I'd say, lots of weak players near the top!

Jimmers, I had the same thought regards U.S players looking to get in the Scottish, interesting to see if that happens or even if it's possible, I'm sure the field would be improved but probably not ethical to take places at the expense of Euro Tour players...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Had Stenson (but not as Captain) and Webb Simpson (6th) in the states but nothing else...funnily enough the cheap guys who you'd often throw in if struggling budget wise i.e. Varner III, Els and Singh all were up there!

So just 5 gameweeks left in the game, 2 of which are bonus weeks and 2 of which have just the one tournament (with the Greenbrier cancelled).

Personally, I'm in 81st, about 3,000pts off the leader and 2,000pts off 3rd (which is in the money!!).

I've not given up hope completely yet on closing that gap. Had a look at the team of the month score and compared it to the leaders score...they've closed around 2,000pts in the last 2 weeks alone. And he has had normal enough picks too, with Johnson and Stenson as captains.

So there is no need to go for random picks just yet, but you'd certainly need the popular picks such as Day, Spieth, McIlroy (and maybe Johnson) not to perform too well in the last 2 majors.

There are actually 3 weeks with only one tournament - next week because of the Greenbrier cancellation and also the last 2 weeks of the game - there's no European tournament the week after the Open and in the last week the European tour event in Thailand is not listed in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

This week's password is Mcilroy

This weeks blog is up, plenty of players you could make a case for - starting to make a couple of different picks now in a bid to catch up.

https://itfantasygolf.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/week-13-bridgestonefrench-open/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Anyone know if there'll be "make cut" points at the WGC seeing as there's no cut?

qwabercd wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be "make cut" points at the WGC seeing as there's no cut?

Hadn't thought about that but I'd be surprised if everyone wasn't given make cut points.

Yeah, at a guess I would say they'll all get the make cut points, funny one though, technically they probably shouldn't.

Very tough to choose between the WGC and french open this week. The WGC has a stronger field, but only approx 60 players so it should be easier to get in the points. The French open field is also quite strong and with a full field it'll be harder to get place points.

Anyone know why the cutoff point is so high on the europeantour website for the Scottish open at the moment?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016052/teetimes/index.html

It only shows 72 players above the cutoff point. I assume it will be a full 156 man field and a load of those below the current cutoff will make it? May be linked to the Greenbier being cancelled.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Yeah, at a guess I would say they'll all get the make cut points, funny one though, technically they probably shouldn't.

Very tough to choose between the WGC and french open this week. The WGC has a stronger field, but only approx 60 players so it should be easier to get in the points. The French open field is also quite strong and with a full field it'll be harder to get place points.

Anyone know why the cutoff point is so high on the europeantour website for the Scottish open at the moment?

It only shows 72 players above the cutoff point. I assume it will be a full 156 man field and a load of those below the current cutoff will make it? May be linked to the Greenbier being cancelled.

That has definitely moved since I posted my link to it a couple of days ago. I had tentatively identified a couple of players for this week who were also in the Scottish Open and they are now outside the cutoff point :(

The cutoff point has moved down now so all is well!

Yes, I am one of the suckers that took Daniel Berger in only to see him withdrawing after his opening tee shot! FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Macduff Gardener

I almost picked Koepka but at the last minute opted for Adam Scott over Koepka, Kucher and Justin Rose (looks like his back is still causing him problems). Meanwhile I have lost Richard Bland, Raphael Jacquelin and Rikard Karlberg out of the French Open but still sitting with 7 active players into both third rounds. Will I suffer for my choice of Kaymer as my captain over Rory, in an attempt to make some headway? Suppose I will find out on Sunday, but doesn't look promising. Best of luck people - nice to see a number of new teams in the Top Twenty - I slipped to 37th after a pretty lack-lustre performance last week.

Looks like my meticulous plans for the weeks ahead have been thrown by Westwood withdrawing his entry for next week's scottish open :(

It seems that the whole of this competition revolves around last minute decisions. Not necessarily last minute before the deadline but "last minute before you push the "change team button"". We must all have about half a dozen options in mind when it comes to the next week's choices; but in the end I bet we all decide, "Oh well it's in the lap of the gods, but here we go". I have said previously that I spend hours, and I mean hours, deliberating my choices - but it all comes down to the same decision in the end - bollocks, just press the button - not once has it been, "No worries , this is the way to go!!" Bloody annoying - but it's got me hooked!! France still looks pretty interesting - got 3 in the top 10 - and as long as Scott beats Kuchar and Spieth my frustration will remain under control. 4th round - all to play for - best of luck - Oh, and huge congratulations to Wales - I'm not a football fan but praise where praise is due!!

I'm sure it was a points fest in that European event, lots of fancied players up near the top. I had Jaidee, Kaymer and Wiesberger myself... Pushed up to 327th which I'm happy with considering I didn't have Rory. Day (C) and Chappell are my hopes in the U.S.

• Advertisement

Looks like Day and Chappell will deliver for you!

I had 4 in the top 11 in Europe plus a 22nd - out of 7 a decent return. Took a punt on captaining Mickelson in the US which hasn't paid off. However have 8 already playing in Scotland this week so in a good position to plan for this week and the Open

jimmers wrote: »
    Looks like Day and Chappell will deliver for you!

I had 4 in the top 11 in Europe plus a 22nd - out of 7 a decent return. Took a punt on captaining Mickelson in the US which hasn't paid off. However have 8 already playing in Scotland this week so in a good position to plan for this week and the Open

Yea, having 8 players is a nice position to be in I only have 5 myself and I'd like to get rid of 2 or 3 of them! I'm sure you can guess who from Jaidee, Kaymer, Donald, Larrazabal and A.Johnston. Donald in particular has to be due surely, he's been abysmal for weeks now but I haven't been able to offload him!

P.s The lads have not delivered anything yet! You know you can never start counting points early!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 malloallo

Alright Lads, about time I set up an account on here as I have been playing this game for over 10 years ( only 23 now ). No success in my baby years but was as high as 4th two years ago until Mc Illroy went on that run three for three ( I've never backed him since he threw away the Irish flag at his US Open win and got off with my best mates gf in marbella)

Just cracked the top 100, had Westwood, Cabrera-Bello, Luiten and Mc Illroy in France. After the first round I thought it was good night baby so I am buzzing to have gained on the top few. Delighted colsaerts brained it as I removed him last minute for Jaquelin. I also took Mc Girt out for Johnston ( since he is committed to playing in Scotland), a poor decision made because Johnston is committed in Scotland next week, so I've finally learned to worry about the current week only. I have Chappell and Day ( C ) tonight so looking good to be 80thish position going into next week. Berger (w), furyk, Johnston making up the numbers for me.

It was interesting to see the top 20's picks for this week. The story for me this week is that guys came out of the traps too soon ( picking weird sides/ not having Day as captain ), I'm sorry but now was not the time to have Koepka as captain or try be cute. That's why we are seeing mr. Uno numero stretch his advantage lately. He's picking the best team possibly available to him while others are panicking at the points difference between them and the top. I was 4th heading into the British Open two years ago and tinkered, ending up finished 86th. The major week's are key, the weeks in between are for the tinkerers to dunk their teams into the water which has been evident so far and in year's previous.

I've read through many comments on here complaining about the service this year. The game is being operated by a UK based company called Chroma. Fortunately, I have heard that the IT have been dissatisfied with their poor service and will switch next year which will mean a change of format, website, rules, everything. I am not a man who likes change but I think we can all agree that Chroma need to be shown the door quickly as they have failed to provide a good service.

I'd urge you all to scan through the weekly email's they send you to make sure all that you've been given all the points your team earned. I personally have an issue with the points breakdown and I am 100% positive I have 160 points less than I should right now as the site removed points from me. I would be very surprised if I was the only one affected by this points problem.

Well "Malloallo", what do points make? Points make prizes!! So you may possibly have a grievance - but I don't think 160 points is gonna mean a heap of **** to the leaders!! Personally moved back up a couple of places to 32nd - as we speak, but who know's what it will be in the morning!! Captaining Kaymer instead of Rory was a blunder but to be honest - I should have stuck with Dustin Johnson. You could all call me a "duck-egg" but it wouldn't be anything I haven't called myself already. The Bridgestone Invitational certainly had an exciting finish, I had both Johnson and Day but knew many players had Day as captain; so to see Johnson win meant I saved quite a few points. Nerve-racking!! Strange situation next week - the event is just a few miles down the road - but I think I am going to have a really cheap team out. All the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 camrockem

It seems that the whole of this competition revolves around last minute decisions. Not necessarily last minute before the deadline but "last minute before you push the "change team button"". We must all have about half a dozen options in mind when it comes to the next week's choices; but in the end I bet we all decide, "Oh well it's in the lap of the gods, but here we go". I have said previously that I spend hours, and I mean hours, deliberating my choices - but it all comes down to the same decision in the end - bollocks, just press the button - not once has it been, "No worries , this is the way to go!!" Bloody annoying - but it's got me hooked!! France still looks pretty interesting - got 3 in the top 10 - and as long as Scott beats Kuchar and Spieth my frustration will remain under control. 4th round - all to play for - best of luck - Oh, and huge congratulations to Wales - I'm not a football fan but praise where praise is due!!

Fair play Macduff, this had me cracking up as it describes exactly what I do some weeks, depending on how busy I am with work etc. Best intentions this year with spread sheets, links to good fantasy websites, familiarity with the strategy from previous years. Fecking Chroma and their piss up in a brewery start to the year, and coupled with my own forgetfulness to update my team during a holiday leaves me firmly battling outside the European places, in mid table mediocrity in 1000th. Have to beat the auld lad though who started poorly, and has been gaining ground since said holiday, as he pipped me last year and I had to hand him some cash.

Great comp! Pity about the organisers, but boards.ie does make me laugh; knowing there are people out there with the same stressed head on a Wednesday and when the missus asks what you're doing, you turn away from the screen and say "You wouldn't understaaaaand!" Enjoy the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 malloallo

Well "Malloallo", what do points make? Points make prizes!! So you may possibly have a grievance - but I don't think 160 points is gonna mean a heap of **** to the leaders!! Personally moved back up a couple of places to 32nd - as we speak, but who know's what it will be in the morning!! Captaining Kaymer instead of Rory was a blunder but to be honest - I should have stuck with Dustin Johnson. You could all call me a "duck-egg" but it wouldn't be anything I haven't called myself already. The Bridgestone Invitational certainly had an exciting finish, I had both Johnson and Day but knew many players had Day as captain; so to see Johnson win meant I saved quite a few points. Nerve-racking!! Strange situation next week - the event is just a few miles down the road - but I think I am going to have a really cheap team out. All the best!!!
    160 points don't mean anything to the leaders your right. But for a man who's played the game his whole life it's a little bit upsetting knowing that Chroma can't get the points right !!
    But maybe I was being too conservative with my comment above about picking the favorites. I just think it would suck you play the game all year and then you switch it up, get it wrong and drop 150 places.

I think I know what you mean "Malloallo". Yes the organisers are a total load of dipsh*ts and should not be allowed to continue next year; but I assume we all want to continue to take part? Regarding favourite backing, you should read some of my earlier posts - check out the times the leading teams make their final substitutions, try to find a player that isn't in at least 10 of the top 20 teams - It's a "matter of fact" that if the leader (or anybody in the Top 20) selects a team that contains the most popular selections within the "Top Twenty" players - he/she can't be overtaken. I share your frustration but nothing we can do about it as long as there are internet programs that can tell you which players to pick so as not to lose your position (these are totally different to the technical aids "Camrockem" (see above) was referring to). Spent the whole of today (12 hours) picking my teams for the rest of the season (advance planning definitely needed at this stage of the competition), got 3 subs available each week, as from next week, for any hiccoughs - guarantee it all turns to ratsh*t. All the best to any readers but I don't see anybody shifting the top 3; the rest of us are just playing for the challenge and competitive edge we all have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rosshoulihan

Westwood pword

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

Whats the store with upcoming Tourneys? Crappy site says its only AAM Scottish Open

Des not mention double points beside Open Championship?!

And it says last tourn is 27th July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Whats the store with upcoming Tourneys? Crappy site says its only AAM Scottish Open

Des not mention double points beside Open Championship?!

And it says last tourn is 27th July

The Greenbrier Classic was meant to be this weekend. Unfortunately, it was cancelled as few weeks ago, due to the course being badly damaged in a major flooding incident in West Virginia. See here for details.

It is also important to remember that 26 people have died in the flooding that also affected the area.

Advertisement