Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I've given up on this already - just couldn't suffer it any longer. I tried... i really tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Who on earth would turn down a national breakfast slot to stay with Phantom?

Anyone with a bit of intelligence. He's gone from replacing one highly popular show to replacing another.

A show like this needs time to bed in, ideally aided by a good producer.

Who is producing it?

At the moment Bernard's input sounds unrehearsed and unprepared, and Jen is grating - she seems to have developed that annoying D4 accent, which doesn't go down well with non-Dublin people. It's obviously intentional, since on Tele she affected a more common Dublin accent.

But we need to give it time. If it's still a mess in a month then there's a problem.

The fake d4 accent doesn't go down well with Dublin people either

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

A show like this needs time to bed in, ideally aided by a good producer.

Who is producing it?

At the moment Bernard's input sounds unrehearsed and unprepared, and Jen is grating - she seems to have developed that annoying D4 accent, which doesn't go down well with non-Dublin people. It's obviously intentional, since on Tele she affected a more common Dublin accent.

But we need to give it time. If it's still a mess in a month then there's a problem.

Ah yes, us Dubs love an aul d4 accent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone with a bit of intelligence. He's gone from replacing one highly popular show to replacing another.

Yea... I'm sure Phantom is a better choice... they have loads of money, the security of the licence fee as well. And sure 2fm have just announced 20 staff to be let go in 3 weeks time....

Oh no wait... that's the other way around!

2FM have a larger audience and offer better salaries/benefits/security, why would any DJ turn that down?

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea... I'm sure Phantom is a better choice... they have loads of money, the security of the licence fee as well. And sure 2fm have just announced 20 staff to be let go in 3 weeks time....

Oh no wait... that's the other way around!

2FM have a larger audience and offer better salaries/benefits/security, why would any DJ turn that down?

I seem to have to repeat. ..he's gone from replacing one popular show to replacing another. If he was swapping over to 2fm as a welcome change etc etc...it would be different. He saw the backlash he got from the phantom crowd and has just set himself up for the same thing again. Is he that desperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've listened to a tiny bit of this show the last few mornings, it's pretty poor stuff from what I heard. What annoyed me most is that it's so "samey", it's like they've listened to all other breakfast shows and have decided that's how they're supposed to be done, instead of trying to do something original.

Case in point: the competition. Ask the question, then Bernard hilariously starts talking about the answer. It's too forced, and it's been done.

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant Ian Dempsey SHOW. It was great. Carry on.

But you said he was on fire.

I seem to have to repeat. ..he's gone from replacing one popular show to replacing another. If he was swapping over to 2fm as a welcome change etc etc...it would be different. He saw the backlash he got from the phantom crowd and has just set himself up for the same thing again. Is he that desperate?

If you had the choice between hosting a national breakfast show with our national broadcaster with better money, benefits, security etc or a reasonably popular show on a Dublin rock station that in general has very poor listenership along with letting loads of people go what would you pick to do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But you said he was on fire.

Well done HooohRaaah, you're detective work will gain you many allies and much promotion... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Well done HooohRaaah, you're detective work will gain you many allies and much promotion... :rolleyes:

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Phantom's breakfast show wasn't anywhere as popular as 2fm's is tho?

It's a big step up for him, it's not a like for like swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Of course Keith wouldn't turn down a gig on 2FM, would anyone?

Keith is a nice bloke and a good broadcaster.

However the problem with taking a high-profile job on a relaunched breakfast show is that if it doesn't work, you run the risk of being forever tarred with the brush of failure.

And I'm afraid this is what will happen.

Lewis Hamilton is a very good driver. But if you put him in a Trabant, he wouldn't win the race.

In other words, I think it's the concept that's all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant Ian Dempsey SHOW. It was great. Carry on.

Bull****. How could the show be on fire?

You also said ".....I'd imagine he is delighted with 2fm's ongoing nonsense."

The phrasing suggests you were listening to Ian and used this to thrash the 2fm show. As you were typing you would have realised your mistake. It's not like talking, you can press delete.

You weren't listening to Ian or Today FM that morning.

Just admit you got caught out.

You're missing my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

More Music wrote: »
    Bull****. How could the show be on fire?

You also said ".....I'd imagine he is delighted with 2fm's ongoing nonsense."

The phrasing suggests you were listening to Ian and used this to thrash the 2fm show. As you were typing you would have realised your mistake. It's not like talking, you can press delete.

You weren't listening to Ian or Today FM that morning.

Just admit you got caught out.

Plus - i don't think any Ian Dempsey show has ever "been on fire" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Keith is the only semi normal thing about the show.

Hector was 1000 times better and more palatable - ever tho he divided people purely based rural V urban

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Ian Dempsey wasn't on this morning

This is the problem with so much of the "discussion" on these radio threads. It is clearly curated and provoked by people with considerable agendas.

That poster's direct lie really does say it all. They came on with the intention to be severely critical, and one way or another they were going to be. It was literally like vomit as the poster spewed how little he liked the show, he then threw in some totally factually incorrect statements just because he was on a nasty little roll.

Any new poster who registers to criticize something is accepted at face value as being genuine and without agenda or bias, but any new poster who registers to support something is automatically accused of being associated with/a friend of/the presenter involved in the show.

A lot of failed and insecure broadcasters frequent these boards I imagine, because the bitterness is palpable.

EDIT: this post isn't in support or against the show, I am a radiowaves exile who came here, the radio "discussion" borders on sad at times.

You're missing my point

Which is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Of course Keith wouldn't turn down a gig on 2FM, would anyone?

Keith is a nice bloke and a good broadcaster.

However the problem with taking a high-profile job on a relaunched breakfast show is that if it doesn't work, you run the risk of being forever tarred with the brush of failure.

And I'm afraid this is what will happen.

Lewis Hamilton is a very good driver. But if you put him in a Trabant, he wouldn't win the race.

In other words, I think it's the concept that's all wrong.

Keith was on spin doing breakfast, and he was boring, characterless, stupid, unfunny, annoying and ****.

Then he was on iradio doing breakfast where he was boring, characterless, stupid, unfunny, annoying and ****.

Then he was on phantom doing breakfast where he was boring, characterless, stupid, unfunny, annoying and ****.

Now he's on 2fm and...

Get the idea? it's not the format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It is true to say that Breakfast with Bernard and Keith, which was on i105-107 under Dan Healy, was taken off as it wasn't working.

It's replacement quadrupled the audience.

Now, Dan has put practically the same show on 2FM.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

he was Programme Director with Phantom too, most likely on a Communicorp contract/benefits package given his management position and history with the company.

I don't know what he's on as 1/3rd of a breakfast show team, but I very much doubt it's a "big" step up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

are they still talking about that funny thing their da from kerry said in the 80's?

he was Programme Director with Phantom too, most likely on a Communicorp contract/benefits package given his management position and history with the company.

I don't know what he's on as 1/3rd of a breakfast show team, but I very much doubt it's a "big" step up tbh.

If it wasn't a big step up, why would he ever leave Phantom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

If it wasn't a big step up, why would he ever leave Phantom?
    because Phantom was losing money and listeners hand over fist, and about to let go lots of staff, all on his watch.

if a cushy job with RTE came calling, I'm sure most people who were managing and implementing changes at a station which resulted in it losing over half of its listeners in 3 years, and about to lay-off most of its staff, would get out pretty quick too, before even more of the spotlight fell on their management performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would drop everything and run to RTE if they offered me a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Very disappointing show so far. I liked Hectors show, just seemd to have an honesty to it and went with the flow.

Maybe I'm old but I really prefer the single host option, bit of music, craic and news etc. I searched through all the preprogrammed stations ths morning and in the end turned it off. Going to have to scan all the stations tonight and see if I can find something for the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Turned on 2FM by accident this morning. Realised I was listening to the show I said I would avoid but decided to give it a go... got a load of non-funny jokes about a box, box hunt etc, something strange in a fake culchie accent and turned off. Tried again a few minutes later and it was all about Jen's Da doing the telly but they couldn't get it to work. Never again. Also, I liked Joe and Keith on Spin so I am not super high-brow!

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Mex Mick

vamos! wrote: »
    Turned on 2FM by accident this morning. Realised I was listening to the show I said I would avoid but decided to give it a go... got a load of non-funny jokes about a box, box hunt etc, something strange in a fake culchie accent and turned off. Tried again a few minutes later and it was all about Jen's Da doing the telly but they couldn't get it to work. Never again. Also, I liked Joe and Keith on Spin so I am not super high-brow!

They use these fake personas on Breakast Republic which are just toxic to the show. Surely by now RTE realise the easy going relatively genuine approach of Dempsey is the way to go - even though he is getting somewhat stale at this stage. Forced boggerism, tartism, and idiocy just isn't funny. This can't last more than 6 months -it has no possible demographic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

Have been listening to this show since it started and its just awful. All of them are dreadful. I've only continued listening for so long as I'm hoping that they will improve and haven't yet found another show that I like.

I was a massive hector fan. He was 1000 times more natural on radio than these 3 put together. There were elements of the show that I wasn't a fan of (e.g. Small town fairly big story was probably the worst one). But it always sounded like a professional well run show, where the presenter was in charge, could talk to anyone with a very natural ease and was able to cope when things went t!ts up. This crown sound like they are just starting a TY year school radio show. And god help them if there is a crisis on air, because I honestly don't think they would have the first clue about what to do.

The format doesn't work - it needs to be a 2 person gig. The rubbish jokes have to stop. Keith is the best of them but personally I just don't like the sound of his voice. I think Bernard will just not work on radio.

But really, I think the whole show needs to be scrapped and back to the drawing board.

Advertisement