Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The only good thing about the show was they played the Happy Mondays.

It sounds so forced and Jennifer and Bernard in particular trying to be "zany" and "wacky"

In fairness, Keith sounds like he could be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

jimmyw wrote: »
    I listened to it on the podcast and bland as hell.Why do they need 3 presenters to do a one person job? More over staffing at RTE.Ryan T loved it though, so you must too.......:p

Bring back HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Cop on ! Hector was embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Mex Mick wrote: »
    Again you're being kind ! Can't understand how a national radio station thinks this show will work

This a national radio station that is not answerable to anyone, seems to have an endless budget and just wait for Westlife to start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Got the last 1/4 hour of this morning.....I'm glad that's all I heard.

Anybody care to suggest a good alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Does anyone remember their first day at their job? I would have been fair to sack you after that wouldn't it? Let's give the guys a few months to actually build the show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

TOO MANY PEOPLE TALKING AT ONCE!

homerCRAZY.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭GSF

soc160 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember their first day at their job? I would have been fair to sack you after that wouldn't it? Let's give the guys a few months to actually build the show up.

Or do you remember the car that was launched with the two wheels that fell off after 10 minutes before the engine went on fire.

Do your product development in private, not on poor undeserving punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Very bad again this morning. The main guy sounds like he just crawled out of bed. Maguire is ok but O'Shea is trying far too hard to be funny. His humour doesn't come across as natural at all.

GSF wrote: »
    Or do you remember the car that was launched with the two wheels that fell off after 10 minutes before the engine went on fire.

Well you could argue it's a service not a product and the only way to truly test it is to have it on air. There is no exact science to a good radio show, it will appeal to some and not others. They will invent new segments, ditch old ones begin to find what people like. It's not like they could have offered up a demo show that would be the standard one every day, it's live radio not a pre packaged product.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clerk Maxwell

What works on TV does not always transfer to radio....remember Baz and Lucy? At least yer man Keith has radio background but they will need to have a good producer to keep them in line along with show direction. Tough gig 2fm breakfast considering all the history of brekkie changes from Rick, Tubs, Hector etc and will need minimium of two years to grow with 3 personalities to mix. It will be either very successful or bomb badly and only time will tell. Let them have their honeymoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

What works on TV does not always transfer to radio....remember Baz and Lucy? At least yer man Keith has radio background but they will need to have a good producer to keep them in line along with show direction. Tough gig 2fm breakfast considering all the history of brekkie changes from Rick, Tubs, Hector etc and will need minimium of two years to grow with 3 personalities to mix. It will be either very successful or bomb badly and only time will tell. Let them have their honeymoon

Who is the producer of the new breakfast show? Is it still Alan Swan, formerly with iRadio, and Hector's producer and temporary presenter during the transition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hownow

This Bernard fella should not be on Radio or tv ..............

GSF wrote: »

Well you could argue it's a service not a product and the only way to truly test it is to have it on air. There is no exact science to a good radio show, it will appeal to some and not others. They will invent new segments, ditch old ones begin to find what people like. It's not like they could have offered up a demo show that would be the standard one every day, it's live radio not a pre packaged product.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

I actually like it, it definitely needs a lot of work but over the next few months that will come about. I find it more refreshing than Today FM at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'd really love to know who the producer is ?

There seems to be a lack of direction and a script and too much is done on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

Who is the producer of the new breakfast show? Is it still Alan Swan, formerly with iRadio, and Hector's producer and temporary presenter during the transition?

Alan Swan was announced this week as the producer of the new Nicky Byrne show this week, so I doubt he's producing Breakfast aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

eiresandra wrote: »
    Alan Swan was announced this week as the producer of the new Nicky Byrne show this week, so I doubt he's producing Breakfast aswell.

I thought Michael Cahill would get that gig, they are very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I've listened to it intermittently for the past 2 mornings and my ears feel like they are going to bleed. Keith sounds competent and in the long run, could possibly host the show solo. Jennifer is okay, can be a bit grating at times. But holy god, Bernard is a complete liability on the show, his moronic, idiotic style of comedy didn't work on tv and is even worse on radio. Is he really necessary anyway - why is there a need for 3 people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Oh my god it is painful listening! It sounds so rehearsed and fake and trying too hard...it is awful. Can't believe Keith left phantom for this tripe! And Keith is not a good head presenter. . His voice is too dead pan but that could be nerves and trying too hard maybe if he settles in he'll br better.

But the rest of the show no...no...no! !

Oh my god it is painful listening! It sounds so rehearsed and fake and trying too hard...it is awful. Can't believe Keith left phantom for this tripe! And Keith is not a good head presenter. . His voice is too dead pan but that could be nerves and trying too hard maybe if he settles in he'll br better.

But the rest of the show no...no...no! !

Who on earth would turn down a national breakfast slot to stay with Phantom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Have tried to like this show over the past 3 days, but no, it is pure car crash radio. There is literally nothing appealing about it, and nothing that would make you want to start your day with. I wasn't the biggest Hector fan, but he was not in your face every morning like this lot are, and at least he had a natural sense of humour and he interacted well with his guests. The sports girl and the Medium sized town bloke were good too, easy going at that time of the morning and he snuck in the odd decent tune among the pop stuff. He was obviously into his music and well versed in it.

Does music even have a role in this new show? O'Shea, as someone said above, is bad enough on telly, On the radio, his limitations as a "comedian" are being cruelly exposed. I would imagine he knows or cares as little about music as much as Colm Hayes does. This fake country bumpkin persona he has created for himself is hugely irritating, and why he feels the need to constantly talk about himself is a bore, especially when none of it is funny, engaging or interesting. Keith seems to be the only pro, and Jennifer sounds like she doesn't want to be there. Her fake "arguing" with O'Shea is long past its sell by date. That mild irritation with each other was funny the first time on Republic of Telly about 3 years ago, but its over now. Back to the drawing board 2FM - Breakfast Reoublic is a pile of ****. I put oin Dempsey this morning and he was on fire, I'd imagine he is delighted with 2fm's ongoing nonsense.

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Have tried to like this show over the past 3 days, but no, it is pure car crash radio. There is literally nothing appealing about it, and nothing that would make you want to start your day with. I wasn't the biggest Hector fan, but he was not in your face every morning like this lot are, and at least he had a natural sense of humour and he interacted well with his guests. The sports girl and the Medium sized town bloke were good too, easy going at that time of the morning and he snuck in the odd decent tune among the pop stuff. He was obviously into his music and well versed in it.

Does music even have a role in this new show? O'Shea, as someone said above, is bad enough on telly, On the radio, his limitations as a "comedian" are being cruelly exposed. I would imagine he knows or cares as little about music as much as Colm Hayes does. This fake country bumpkin persona he has created for himself is hugely irritating, and why he feels the need to constantly talk about himself is a bore, especially when none of it is funny, engaging or interesting. Keith seems to be the only pro, and Jennifer sounds like she doesn't want to be there. Her fake "arguing" with O'Shea is long past its sell by date. That mild irritation with each other was funny the first time on Republic of Telly about 3 years ago, but its over now. Back to the drawing board 2FM - Breakfast Reoublic is a pile of ****. I put oin Dempsey this morning and he was on fire, I'd imagine he is delighted with 2fm's ongoing nonsense.

Ian Dempsey wasn't on this morning

Anybody pining for hector has got to be trolling

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey wasn't on this morning
    Or the last few mornings either, I don't think the poster could have mistaken the fill in to be Ian either !

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Mex Mick

dr Golden wrote: »

I would have agreed until I heard the current drivel with my own ears

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Based on comments here, it's clear this show is very much at the 'so bad, it's good' end of the spectrum.

I must flick over from Morning Ireland one morning and see what all the fuss is about.

Sorry, I meant Ian Dempsey SHOW. It was great. Carry on.

How is saying I liked a radio show trolling? Pardon me for breaking the negative cycle of the radio board... I thought trolling was negative, starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory material. I had no idea admitting to liking something was trolling.
    dr Golden wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

All one can really say is, they got it wrong. Keith is the show and the other two seem to jump in with random nonsense every now and again. Bernard is disappointing and although i did like some of the better moments on the Republic of Telle, i expected so much more from him on radio and i was sadly let down. There was a suggestion that Dermot of Dermot and Dave was offered the Job with Bernard. He is so lucky he didn't jump, if he indeed was asked. He would have carried the show. Dermot and Keith and possibly a female may have been a winner.Personally i would have made Dermot and Dave an offer they couldn't have refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

A show like this needs time to bed in, ideally aided by a good producer.

Who is producing it?

At the moment Bernard's input sounds unrehearsed and unprepared, and Jen is grating - she seems to have developed that annoying D4 accent, which doesn't go down well with non-Dublin people. It's obviously intentional, since on Tele she affected a more common Dublin accent.

But we need to give it time. If it's still a mess in a month then there's a problem.

Advertisement