Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaking in bus lanes.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

ballooba wrote: »
    Imagine if it were as easy as reading the signs?

If you don't know the bus lane hours its difficult to spot the times driving along at normal speed.
    If you pass the start of bus lane without noticing it could be a while before another sign is shown

anyway most new bus lanes seem to be all 24hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

visual wrote: »
    If you don't know the bus lane hours its difficult to spot the times driving along at normal speed.
    If you pass the start of bus lane without noticing it could be a while before another sign is shown

anyway most new bus lanes seem to be all 24hr

Off to Specsavers you go....I can read them OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

visual wrote: »
    Dublin bus employed a strategy to make better progress and that is bus will indicate and pull away from bus stop including bus stops that are in off the road without waiting for gap in traffic or a curious driver to let them out.
    There is no laws for this but its done everyday by dublin bus

Are you saying that Dublin Bus have instructed their drivers to pull out into traffic regardless of whether there is a space, to ensure they cover the route faster?

corktina wrote: »
    Off to Specsavers you go....I can read them OK

but from how far away can you read the times
    or is it a hard left with pedal to the metal

Moomat wrote: »
    Are you saying that Dublin Bus have instructed their drivers to pull out into traffic regardless of whether there is a space, to ensure they cover the route faster?

Yes they are instructed to drive progressively and that means putting the indicator on and moving off to create their space rather than wait.

If your driving in traffic in Dublin watch the buses pull away from stops and you will notice it is different compared to other divers like lorry drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

djimi wrote: »
    Is there anything written in law or otherwise to clarify this? There seems to be a lot of talk on this subject with very little to back it up either way.

Bus Lanes
    32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—
    (i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or
    (ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.
    ( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

It's graaand! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Bus Lanes
    32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—
    (ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.
    ( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

Yup, that's cleared it up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bus Lanes

What part of that states that a bus Lane reverts to a normal Lane out of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

All lanes are normal lanes in the absence of any law declaring them otherwise. The legislation quoted does this for bus lanes during the indicated hours. Outside those hours the lane remains what it always was.

• Advertisement

You would never see a bus or taxi being pulled in for undertaking at any speed within the limit when bus lanes are out of use, yet a Garda wouldn't hesitate in pulling in anyone else for doing this. Maybe any Garda or RSA expert can tell me why.

32 (2) answers your question

corktina wrote: »
    Have you got that right? would it not be open to all traffic until 7am?
    robertxxx wrote: »
    What i should of said is why do "some" people overtake in the bus lane? Why not just overtake the traditional way. (On the right hand side).
    Like this morning, road has low volume of traffic on it, I'm doing the limit, car comes up behind me and overtakes in the bus lane and then back into the lane.

If by any chance their caught by the cops they would be done for speeding and driving in a bus lane "maybe" seen as reckless driving by a cop.
    So why not just overtake?

He would have been charged for speeding no matter what lane he passed in. Buses undertake after bus hours also, so why do the Gardai not pull them in if it's illegaly and as dangerous as we are led to believe?. And those who think it is not a grey area should be able to answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I don't understand why threads like this aren't moved to the "Learning to Drive" section.

Can any mod address this? Genuine query, not trying to start a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

porsche959 wrote: »
    I don't understand why threads like this aren't moved to the "Learning to Drive" section.

Can any mod address this? Genuine query, not trying to start a row.
    Most people here would be experienced drivers, and even we can't agree, never mind learners!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Most people here would be experienced drivers, and even we can't agree, never mind learners!

You have to start from the top ie the RSA. They don't agree with undertaking yet they do agree with free flowing traffic. That is a total contradiction. If traffic on outside lane is traveling at 20kmh or 30kmh which is not stop - start traffic, why are buses or taxis not allowed to pass on inside when bus lanes are not in operation just total stupidity. What next, is there a law that states that cyclists are not allowed undertake?

Slow moving traffic is slow moving traffic; Im pretty sure anyone who drives a car knows what this means and I doubt many judges would believe otherwise! I have been on a dual carraigeway with three solid lanes of cars all doing 60km/h that I would still consider to be slow moving traffic for the purpose of overtaking, as if the left hand lane is doing 5km/h faster than the right hand lane, no Garda is going to prosecute for overtaking on the left in this instance, and its just a one solid line of traffic moving slightly faster than another solid line of traffic.

The way that it is written in the traffic act is ambiguous, but it also leaves it up to common sense to interpret.
    What the RSA mean by slow moving traffic is Stop - Starting traffic. That's the reply I got back when I enquired about this. Still doesn't give maximum speed allowed. If the RSA thing undertaking is dangerous why don't the Gardai stop buses and taxis from undertaking other traffic when bus lanes are out of use? How many times have you seen Gardai stopping private vehicles for using bus lanes a few mins before out of use, yet if they waited a few mins longer they would catch buses and taxis undertaking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Whatever about the RSA and bus and taxi drivers the important thing is that undertaking is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Whatever about the RSA and bus and taxi drivers the important thing is that undertaking is illegal.

Nah, it's not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

What the RSA mean by slow moving traffic is Stop - Starting traffic. That's the reply I got back when I enquired about this. Still doesn't give maximum speed allowed. If the RSA thing undertaking is dangerous why don't the Gardai stop buses and taxis from undertaking other traffic when bus lanes are out of use? How many times have you seen Gardai stopping private vehicles for using bus lanes a few mins before out of use, yet if they waited a few mins longer they would catch buses and taxis undertaking.

Did the RSA give you the reply in writing?

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »
    Did the RSA give you the reply in writing?

The RSA have nothing to do with interpretation of legislation so I wouldn't be heeding their advice that's for sure.

enda1 wrote: »
    The RSA have nothing to do with interpretation of legislation so I wouldn't be heeding their advice that's for sure.

I know that but I'm just interested to see if the RSA were willing to put in writing what Sean claims they said.

I know that but I'm just interested to see if the RSA were willing to put in writing what Sean claims they said.

Ah I get ye now. Would be stupid of them to unleash that shitstorm!

Ah I get ye now. Would be stupid of them to unleash that shitstorm!

If they didn't give him the reply in writing then Sean shouldn't be claiming to have a definitive answer from the RSA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't believe his radio.

Yes and also illegal for buses and taxis when open to all traffic, and that's also important for those who don't know this

If they didn't give him the reply in writing then Sean shouldn't be claiming to have a definitive answer from the RSA.

As I previously said. The RSA emailed me back to say that slow moving traffic means "stop start' traffic... Maybe you should ask for their definition an let us know their reply.

Id be interested to see how a judge interprets it. The RSA can say what they like, their opinion is only a guide and doesnt hold a lot of weight really. I suspect in court it would come down to the individual situation and not some hard and fast definition.

As I previously said. The RSA emailed me back to say that slow moving traffic means "stop start' traffic... Maybe you should ask for their definition an let us know their reply.

I simply don't believe that the RSA sent you an email saying that. Who signed the email?

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation that would cover overtaking on the left?

• Advertisement

I simply don't believe that the RSA sent you an email saying that. Who signed the email?

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation that would cover overtaking on the left?

It's been quoted and linked to many times in this thread. Go to irishstatutebook.ie and search for "overtake".

The person to send your enquiry to is Michael Dolan, Chief ADI Examiner with the Road Safety Authority

This is part of the reply I received from him.

Thank you for your email of 5th August 2013 which I have read and noted.

Can I begin by clarifying the legal position relating to your query that overtaking is permitted on the right hand side only, with a few exceptions that you allude to such as slow moving traffic. Slow moving traffic in this case is traffic that is moving slowly (almost stop / starting) whist queued in slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

So anyway, I was happily trucking along in an 'outside of posted hours' bus lane the other day and zipping by the stop/start traffic in the other lane. There was a Garda car behind be the whole way and they didn't even blink. So they didn't see this as a problem, neither do I.

degsie wrote: »
    So anyway, I was happily trucking along in an 'outside of posted hours' bus lane the other day and zipping by the stop/start traffic in the other lane. There was a Garda car behind be the whole way and they didn't even blink. So they didn't see this as a problem, neither do I.

Neither do I. The reason the Gardai won't pull you in even though the RSA say it's an offense and highly dangerous, is if they did then they would have to pull in buses and taxis as they would also be undertaking.

degsie wrote: »

They also don't see middle lane hoggers driving 20kph below the limit as a problem but it doesn't make it right or legal

Neither do I. The reason the Gardai won't pull you in even though the RSA say it's an offense and highly dangerous, is if they did then they would have to pull in buses and taxis as they would also be undertaking.
    Also the other lane being start-stop, i.e. slow moving traffic, and explicitly allowed...

• Advertisement

Also the other lane being start-stop, i.e. slow moving traffic, and explicitly allowed...

Say that to bus and taxi drivers or even cyclists you won't see them stop-start when bus lanes are out of use

Say that to bus and taxi drivers or even cyclists you won't see them stop-start when bus lanes are out of use

I'm not sure I understand your point... In the bus lane outside of posted hours, or any regular road, you can over-take on the left if other traffic is start-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

The bold is an irrelevant example, as cyclists are entitled to overtake on the left in the majority of cases:
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

Note the stark contrast in the wording of the first paragraph when compared to the general case for motorised vehicles, i.e. as long as the traffic is slower (relative) than the cyclist, it is ok, whereas the general case refers to the absolute of "slow-moving traffic":
    “(5)(a) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left—

(i) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or turn to the left,

(ii) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn to the left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention, or

(iii) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle,

cython wrote: »
    The bold is an irrelevant example, as cyclists are entitled to overtake on the left in the majority of cases:

Note the stark contrast in the wording of the first paragraph when compared to the general case for motorised vehicles, i.e. as long as the traffic is slower (relative) than the cyclist, it is ok, whereas the general case refers to the absolute of "slow-moving traffic":

Kinda sounds the same to me especially when the latter appears to be qualified as "when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

If the bus lane is out of service (after 19.00) then you can drive in it, you can also "undertake" as there is no "Slow/fast" lane rule on roads with a speed limit below 60 kph which is the vast majority of bus lanes

• Advertisement

MajorMax wrote: »
    If the bus lane is out of service (after 19.00) then you can drive in it, you can also "undertake" as there is no "Slow/fast" lane rule on roads with a speed limit below 60 kph which is the vast majority of bus lanes
    Eh wha? Where did you hear this?

I'm not sure I understand your point... In the bus lane outside of posted hours, or any regular road, you can over-take on the left if other traffic is start-stop.[/

Yes ONLY if traffic is start- sto. ,,,Outside bus lane posted hours with traffic moving at 30,40,50kmh which is not stop-start, in outside lane according to RSA it is an offence for a bus or taxi or any other vehicle to pass on inside

To me that rule must be changed

MajorMax wrote: »

Like to know where you got that information. If it's true I will personally throw it back at the RSA who told me you can only undertake in slow moving traffic, which is stop start moving.

Kinda sounds the same to me especially when the latter appears to be qualified as "when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle".

If it were the same, then why have the differing wording at all? A qualification is just that, and should clarify, not broaden the criteria already mentioned.

It is probably equally likely that the clause for cars to pass on the left at all only exists so that drivers in stop start traffic do not find themselves hamstrung from making progress in the left lane by being unable to pass cars stopped in traffic on their right. The reason this might be necessary is that in such slow/stop-start traffic, there may not be space for the driver(s) in the right hand lane to pull in and keep left, by contrast to freer flowing traffic, whereby there is no excuse for not keeping left.

In any case, under normal functions of the English language, for that SI you have to accept that the initial clause is "in slow-moving traffic", and this is clarified/qualified by "when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle." While it may seem an unnecessary statement, in that the traffic on the right would have to be moving more slowly to be overtaken, this wording also doesn't explicitly liberalise people moving into the left hand lane for the express purpose of overtaking on the left, rather it happens that they are already in the left lane, and traffic happens to be slower on the right.

However people will always try to find a loophole, even if one doesn't really exist, until such a time as it is tested.

^
    Seeing as slow-moving is ambiguous, without it being better defined it is legal to pass on the left.

^
    Seeing as slow-moving is ambiguous, without it being better defined it is legal to pass on the left.

Well to anybody that may find themselves in front of a judge for overtaking on the left on a motorway at 100+kph (plenty of people doing it), I say best of luck in convincing him/her of that being covered by slow-moving. While it may be ambiguous, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and ultimately you are at the mercy of the Gardai and the judiciary a judge to take the stance you describe.

So if you accept that there are at least some scenarios that are clearly not legal due to the slow-moving clause (and if you don't then there is quite frankly no point in continuing this conversation, as you are addressing this from a very odd perspective to regard motorway/DC speed limits as slow-moving), then the question that stands is simply the interpretation of slow-moving. Ultimately the only people whose interpretation(s) of this matter are the aforementioned Gardai and judges, as they are the ones who make the decisions regarding prosecutions and convictions.

The problem with the wording in the statute book is that "slow moving" means virtually nothing if its is not quantified. If Im driving on a motorway then 45mph is slow moving relative to the speed limit on the road in question. Indeed, I can point to plenty of situations where I have been on a two lane stretch of 60mph dual carraigeway, where there are two solid lanes of cars each doing in or around 40mph. If the left hand lane is going marginally faster such that the cars are overtaking the cars in the right hand, are these cars deemed to be illegally overtaking on the left? The situation certainly seems to fall within the terms of the law, 40mph is slow moving relative to the speed limit of the road, and two solid lines of cars consitutes traffic in anyones book, yet by the defintion of the RSA it is an illegal situation.

The RSA saying that slow moving is defined as stop start means absolutely nothing unless they can point to a legal definition to back that up.

Advertisement