Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirt Rally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Those kind of motion simulators are absolute crap. They dont make you feel immersed, in fact they have the opposite effect. I had a go in one a number of years ago when the, at the time, latest Sega Rally arcade cabinet came out. There was an attendant at the machine and they strapped you in and it was quite an experience, but really you were hanging onto the wheel trying to keep yourself upright and it was absolutely stupid and nothing like a car in the slightest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Those kind of motion simulators are absolute crap. They dont make you feel immersed, in fact they have the opposite effect. I had a go in one a number of years ago when the, at the time, latest Sega Rally arcade cabinet came out. There was an attendant at the machine and they strapped you in and it was quite an experience, but really you were hanging onto the wheel trying to keep yourself upright and it was absolutely stupid and nothing like a car in the slightest.

It really depends on the hardware, the one in that vid is just pure overkill and intended as such.
    There are plenty on the market that do a great job, i got to try one similar to the one featured in the video below and it was fantastic.
    As Darin Ganji says in the vid if you get it wrong while setting it up on the software side of things it can screw up the experience but when its done right its great.

Dcully wrote: »
    It really depends on the hardware, the one in that vid is just pure overkill and intended as such.
    There are plenty on the market that do a great job, i got to try one similar to the one featured in the video below and it was fantastic.
    As Darin Ganji says in the vid if you get it wrong while setting it up on the software side of things it can screw up the experience but when its done right its great.

Yeah that is a totally different experience. The one I was on was a huge car suspended up in the air. You had to be strapped in to a harness and there was a safety net. It had a huge amount of travel and it was throwing me around all over the place and literally you were hanging on to the wheel trying to stop yourself falling out, even though you couldnt because you were in a harness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What do ye think of the new updates?
    The more I get used to Germany the more I love it. The mix of stages are brilliant a bit of everything.
    Loving the two opels they are fun to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Doge

Whats the FFB like on the German stages? There was a lot of complaints about it on tarmac stages before the update.

It was very good after the ffb update,sim forums I visit were very happy with it while the steam forums were whinging, steam forums full of trolls .

The rallyx preview is epic.
    I didnt realise the dirt rally rig has a motion simulator too.

Doge wrote: »
    The rallyx preview is epic.
    I didnt realise the dirt rally rig has a motion simulator too.

Looks good been following them on twitter past few days they have had a few bits up, i wouldnt be up to speed on the rallyx series bit it should be fun in game.

That rig looks a lot more fun the the one posted on previous page not too over the top.

Ive a feeling the DLC for this game will be well worth it if its ever released.

It will probably be the first time i have ever bought DLC!

• Advertisement

Codemasters just keep doing what you are doing with this game.
    Dont bow to those calling to dumb it down to previous dirt games levels.
    It is by far the best rally game/sim since RBR and if im being honest i prefer its physics to RBR.

At last codemasters seem to be on route to their former glory, if this years F1 game delivers and dirt rally keeps going as it seems its going i will be a very happy sim racer :)

With Stock car extreme devs Reiza studios gaining funds to pump into their sims too, its a great time to be into racing sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

How do you lads set your wheel up in this, full degrees of rotation and soft lock on or something else?

Codemasters just keep doing what you are doing with this game.
    Dont bow to those calling to dumb it down to previous dirt games levels.
    It is by far the best rally game/sim since RBR and if im being honest i prefer its physics to RBR.

At last codemasters seem to be on route to their former glory, if this years F1 game delivers and dirt rally keeps going as it seems its going i will be a very happy sim racer :)

With Stock car extreme devs Reiza studios gaining funds to pump into their sims too, its a great time to be into racing sims.

Must admit when I seen the monster logo on the rallyx video and screen shots it made me shudder a bit so hopefully they wont overdo it.
    I have spent hours on playing this and I haven't came close to winning one rally yet but I still love it ha.

superg wrote: »
    How do you lads set your wheel up in this, full degrees of rotation and soft lock on or something else?

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/06/dirt-rally-force-feedback-update/

Usually 900 but sometimes 540.

Yeah saw that a wheel ago. Had mine at 1080 with soft lock on as they recommend but find it impossible, changed it to 540 with soft lock on and it helped a lot.

superg wrote: »
    Yeah saw that a wheel ago. Had mine at 1080 with soft lock on as they recommend but find it impossible, changed it to 540 with soft lock on and it helped a lot.

"a wheel ago", very good , typo or not :P

"a wheel ago", very good , typo or not :P

Meant every bit of it :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Rallycross update is out :)

The rallyX is absolute crap. Very disappointed in it.

• Advertisement

The rallyX is absolute crap. Very disappointed in it.

Havent played myself yet but just had a quick look for feedback on sim forums and its all positive.
    Whats crap about it btw?

Havent played myself yet but just had a quick look for feedback on sim forums and its all positive.
    Whats crap about it btw?

Its probably not all that bad. The tracks look great and the cars react really well with the surface changes. I think its just that the tracks are so short and Im racing against AI which is soooo boring. Online multiplayer is not here with this patch yet, thats still to come at a later stage.

I love the rally stages and it requires concentration and there is a great sense of speed and on the edge of your seat fractions away from disaster. With rally X that element just is not there. Its so slow and the road so wide that there is loads of room for error which takes away everything I love about the proper rally stages. I know the tracks need to be wider to accommodate the other cars and overtaking, but to me its just not something that I enjoyed very much.

Its probably not all that bad. The tracks look great and the cars react really well with the surface changes. I think its just that the tracks are so short and Im racing against AI which is soooo boring. Online multiplayer is not here with this patch yet, thats still to come at a later stage.

I love the rally stages and it requires concentration and there is a great sense of speed and on the edge of your seat fractions away from disaster. With rally X that element just is not there. Its so slow and the road so wide that there is loads of room for error which takes away everything I love about the proper rally stages. I know the tracks need to be wider to accommodate the other cars and overtaking, but to me its just not something that I enjoyed very much.

Well in fairness thats rallycross, its a different form of rallying.

Tried it out for a while today, thought it was quite good. Very handy having the assistant telling you about other drivers taking the joker lap or crashes up ahead etc.

Well in fairness thats rallycross, its a different form of rallying.

You're right, it is just the nature of rally X and I think its crap. Hopefully they don't sped too much time with gimmicks like that and instead give us at least double the real rally stages they have now.

Next update is out, adds the ds3, Impreza wrx, Mini Countryman and a track to rallycross. Also adds a few extra control options like the ability to assign a clutch :)

NOrway is as dull as ditch water. I literally updated, played one round there in the DS3 and then quit out before I was overcome with how boring it is. Looking forward to Finland and hopefully this is the end of wasting my time with Rally X.

This forum's gone awfully quiet! Flying Finland update is out now, which includes the bug-eye impreza and ford focus :)

Finland update is awesome, so beautiful and full of jumps! Finally something else to get excited about!

• Advertisement

Early access no longer, version 1.0 officially released and with a big update today aswell.
    Fair play codemasters, I had written you off after the rubbish releases of previous dirt games, the terrible F1 series and the Grid series.
    This came out of nowhere when it hit early access and from day one it was awesome with great support from codemasters to bring it to where it is today, the best rally sim out there.

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/home

Advertisement