Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Does anyone know what service is responsible for checking if Google Play is present/out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Good work, tatranska, was just looking for drivers for my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've updated to 4.4.2 which was easy to do.

http://en.miui.com/download-101.html#164

Select WCDMA/CDMA China

Download full rom

Connect phone to PC and move the zip file into download_rom folder

Go to Updater
    Use menu to select package and update and follow the instructions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqn4jfJqyk

I have a probelm though - The ability to root the phone is gone.
    I'll try install the Dev Rom later to see if its restored. version 4.8.22

19543261 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what service is responsible for checking if Google Play is present/out of date?

Theres a link in the first post about installing Google Play

Theres a link in the first post about installing Google Play

I think what 19543261 might have been getting at is what is that keeps Google Play, as an app in its own right, updated? The thought hadn't occurred to me, perhaps it keeps itself up to date?

• Advertisement

I tried updating with the Dev Rom 4.8.22 after having installed kitkat.
    It seems its a different packet kitkat is picie whilee the dev rom is cancro.

The root is now gone from my phone. Has anyone a solution to getting the rooting option back.

Is there any way to revert to the original version of the Rom 4.3.?

Is there any way to revert to the original version of the Rom 4.3.?

A casual google didn't throw up a copy of it. Worth trying 4.8.15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDTB-QHp0w
    corwill wrote: »
    A casual google didn't throw up a copy of it. Worth trying 4.8.15?

Have you a link?

I tried installing the dev rom 4.8.22 again from this video but am getting an error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDTB-QHp0w

Have you a link?

I tried installing the dev rom 4.8.22 again from this video but am getting an error

From your link above:

Below the "Full ROM Pack" and "Incremental ROM Pack" options, there's one for "Older Versions", click on that, and it appears to have links to downloads for the preceding 5 versions, or at least stable versions, I'd say.

From your link above:

Below the "Full ROM Pack" and "Incremental ROM Pack" options, there's one for "Older Versions", click on that, and it appears to have links to downloads for the preceding 5 versions, or at least stable versions, I'd say.
    Cool ..I'll give an earlier one a shot.

Just be careful guys and girls.....I got stuck on Fastboot when i tried it earlier which froze the phone.
    Reading the forums it can cause severe problems but elsewhere said to hold the power button till it powered off. Thankfully it worked:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Who's gonna be the first to do a drop test?

spix wrote: »
    Who's gonna be the first to do a drop test?

I wont do a drop test but I can update everyone on my trials at updating the ROM

I was on Android v4.3 and upgraded to 4.4.2 stable ROM. There was then an OTA update which brought me to 4.4.3
    This upgrade removes the inbuilt ability to root the device in the permissions folder.

I was having problems with putting the DEV ROM 4.8.22 on and got to freeze my start up screen with Fast Boot. A scarey experience thinking I'd bricked my new toy.
    Anyway by holding the power button hard I turned it off and it rebooted normally.

I settled on MIUI 4.7.25 which gave me back a DEV ROM and the ability to root the device.
    I should add that its still showing Android 4.4.3

I linked to a video earlier on how to do it.

Make sure to clear the cache in the process. I didn't at one point and got the Fastboot. It's documented as one of the causes.

It took ages to download the ROM. Probably due to it being in China and them all being awake now but the upgrade took less than 10 minutes.

I'll think about further upgrades later.

I wont do a drop test but I can update everyone on my trials at updating the ROM

I was on Android v4.3 and upgraded to 4.4.2 stable ROM. There was then an OTA update which brought me to 4.4.3
    This upgrade removes the inbuilt ability to root the device in the permissions folder.

I was having problems with putting the DEV ROM 4.8.22 on and got to freeze my start up screen with Fast Boot. A scarey experience thinking I'd bricked my new toy.
    Anyway by holding the power button hard I turned it off and it rebooted normally.

I settled on MIUI 4.7.25 which gave me back a DEV ROM and the ability to root the device.
    I should add that its still showing Android 4.4.3

I linked to a video earlier on how to do it.

Make sure to clear the cache in the process. I didn't at one point and got the Fastboot. It's documented as one of the causes.

It took ages to download the ROM. Probably due to it being in China and them all being awake now but the upgrade took less than 10 minutes.

I'll think about further upgrades later.

Nice work, George Rancid Literature, out there on the bleeding edge! While I was sitting on my hoop and supping whiskey, I came across the following video guides on xda a little while ago, might be of assistance to folks on here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/general/video-guides-updating-xiaomi-mi-3-using-t2848232

Update on my updates.

I turned on the phone this morning to find an OTA update to 4.8.22 weekly update.
    I just updated within the phone and it was sorted.

Looks like plain sailing from here on out .

Update on my updates.

I turned on the phone this morning to find an OTA update to 4.8.22 weekly update.

Had you signed up to a xiaomi account?

Had you signed up to a xiaomi account?

I did.
    Having problems with Google play not opening
    Logged on on web but apps won't install.

I did.
    Having problems with Google play not opening
    Logged on on web but apps won't install.

Maybe try reinstalling Google Play? Most up-to-date apk I can find - forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996995

Update on my updates.

So I signed up for a xiaomi account, but still no OTA. I'm on 4.3.14, but it tells me I have the latest version installed.

So I signed up for a xiaomi account, but still no OTA. I'm on 4.3.14, but it tells me I have the latest version installed.

You need to put on the stable rom 4.4 for ota to work.
    Ive no joy with getting apps installed.can i revert back to the stable rom safely?

I think what 19543261 might have been getting at is what is that keeps Google Play, as an app in its own right, updated? The thought hadn't occurred to me, perhaps it keeps itself up to date?

I've gotten rid of Google Play as I use a different store, but there's one or two apps that tell me they wont work if Google Play is out of date - even though they work perfectly fine. It pops up, its annoying. Edit: The Guardian app does it.

• Advertisement

You need to put on the stable rom 4.4 for ota to work

Ah, I guess ota only got added as a feature in 4.4 versions, so. Will give that a shot tomorrow.
    Ive no joy with getting apps installed.can i revert back to the stable rom safely?

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, either.

19543261 wrote: »
    I've gotten rid of Google Play as I use a different store, but there's one or two apps that tell me they wont work if Google Play is out of date - even though they work perfectly fine. It pops up, its annoying. Edit: The Guardian app does it.

I can't think of any obvious solution apart from putting Google Play back on; see my post above for a link to apk on XDA.

Just being nosy, which other store do you use?

Blackmart.

Ok guys here's my experiences this evening of trying to revert to a stable rom 4.4.

I was able to put 4.7.25 into the root and enter recovery mode which was fine.
    I then tried to revert to 4.4 which was a disaster.
    Nothing opened. my phone kept restarting, the sim wasn't recognised and my computer couldn't see the phones internal storage for me to do anything with it....disaster

Through trial and it bit of good fortune I got back into recovery mode and rebooted to system 2 which I found out was the previous version installed on the phone. It brought be back to 4.8.22. Ive still the same problems of installing apps but at least the phone works.

Hopefully the next dev update will sort out some of the problems. By their own admissions they concentrated this week on MIUI 6 rather than the ROM.

This could well be a thick question, which I'll blame on being tired, but on the official downloads page (http://en.miui.com/download-101.html), how do we know which version* to select along the top prior to selecting an edition of MiUi to download, or does it even matter?

*TD, WCDMA Philippines, WCDMA India, WCDMA/CDMA China, WCDMA HK, WCDMA Taiwan, WCDMA Singapore, or WCDMA Malaysia?

I'm going to have a proper read of the following tomorrow - "Different MIUI versions explained: Developer/Stable/Ported/Local ROMs" [url=]http://en.miui.com/thread-24860-1-1.html[/url]

I'm going to have a proper read of the following tomorrow - "Different MIUI versions explained: Developer/Stable/Ported/Local ROMs" [url=]http://en.miui.com/thread-24860-1-1.html[/url]

The china one.

The china one.

Just copped that the TD version is for the Mi3 with the Nvidia Tegra 4 rather than the Snapdragon. That would have been a really nice mess.

Ok guys here's my experiences this evening of trying to revert to a stable rom 4.4.

I was able to put 4.7.25 into the root and enter recovery mode which was fine.
    I then tried to revert to 4.4 which was a disaster.
    Nothing opened. my phone kept restarting, the sim wasn't recognised and my computer couldn't see the phones internal storage for me to do anything with it....disaster

Through trial and it bit of good fortune I got back into recovery mode and rebooted to system 2 which I found out was the previous version installed on the phone. It brought be back to 4.8.22. Ive still the same problems of installing apps but at least the phone works.

Hopefully the next dev update will sort out some of the problems. By their own admissions they concentrated this week on MIUI 6 rather than the ROM.

Did Google Play work for you at all prior to trying to flash updates to the phone?

• Advertisement

Did Google Play work for you at all prior to trying to flash updates to the phone?

It worked fine on the original ROM but when I tried it on 4.8.22 it just opens and closes.

I'm hoping things will get resolved on the next OTA this week. Its incremental so should replace anything thats not there.

It just means I cant get any apps onto the phone for now

Advertisement