Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy wrote: »
    From what I can see the ref was completely out of order here. Ive seen a game abadoned before but that was after a melee which went for about 20 mins and it was obvious that parity was not going to be restored. It seems here that the ref walked off the field after just 3 minutes.

Who knows maybe he was having a bad day and just said to hell with this, or else he just felt he wasn't going to be able to gain control of the game. If so he shouldnt be there in the first place. A lot a junior games are like that where theres a couple of early flakes fellahs are too wound up and its up to the ref to nip it in the bud early on.

I wouldn't be too critical of the ref here, the players should be ashamed of themselves. They're letting themselves and their clubs down. Do lads playing junior feel that they need to lower themselves to this sort of behaviour to match some sort of stereotype or something?

Lads who are too wound up to be playing on Ballygunner's third team and Roanmore's second team without resorting to violence probably shouldn't be playing sport at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

From what I can see the ref was completely out of order here. Ive seen a game abadoned before but that was after a melee which went for about 20 mins and it was obvious that parity was not going to be restored. It seems here that the ref walked off the field after just 3 minutes.

Who knows maybe he was having a bad day and just said to hell with this, or else he just felt he wasn't going to be able to gain control of the game. If so he shouldnt be there in the first place. A lot a junior games are like that where theres a couple of early flakes fellahs are too wound up and its up to the ref to nip it in the bud early on.

Well, I thought the ref was quite within his rights to do what he did. There was only three minutes gone and already there had been a massive brawl (caused by two lads going at each other as if they were trying to knock each other's block off), a thistle-cutting hack at a lad's hand, and a back ploughing full force into a sparrow-fart of a corner forward as if said forward had made his sister pregnant. I'm sorry I came off as sneery at Junior hurling in what I wrote, but I make no apologies for being amazed that two teams with no obvious grudge against each other should go at it hammer-and-tongs in a group game. Just mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too critical of the ref here, the players should be ashamed of themselves. They're letting themselves and their clubs down. Do lads playing junior feel that they need to lower themselves to this sort of behaviour to match some sort of stereotype or something?

Lads who are too wound up to be playing on Ballygunner's third team and Roanmore's second team without resorting to violence probably shouldn't be playing sport at all.

Wow, look down your noses at them why don't you!

Is that comment saying that Tramore and Bonmahon are not allowed have a scuffle, but Ballygunner and Roanmore's Senior team's are because they're "more important"?

Surprised at that post Hardy. People can say what they like about Junior hurling and the fights, but I see easily as many Senior club fights as I do at Junior.

Wow, look down your noses at them why don't you!

Is that comment saying that Tramore and Bonmahon are not allowed have a scuffle, but Ballygunner and Roanmore's Senior team's are because they're "more important"?

Surprised at that post Hardy. People can say what they like about Junior hurling and the fights, but I see easily as many Senior club fights as I do at Junior.

First of all, I've played at both levels, and I wouldn't be looking down my nose at anyone. What you're saying there is putting words in my mouth slightly. I should also point out that I don't support indiscipline at any level.

In my experience, I'd also say that more punishment is dished out in senior, but I was actually responding to someone who found that a lot of bad behaviour among junior teams is very common, as lads are too wound up.

Is there more at stake playing on your club's first team at senior level - yes I think so. Lads are training harder, making more sacrifices. There is more pressure on you from the community, it's the biggest thing going on in the club. The motivation and drive of the senior player is half the reason why he got there in the first place, and he's more likely to be wound up and volatile.

Playing on a 2nd or 3rds team, you've got a different mix of individuals. Some are young and hoping to step up, some are entering their twilight years, others are playing at their level. It's as much about playing for fun and keeping fit for a lot of people.

Lads I know who play Junior B do so because they enjoy the game, enjoy playing with their friends and want to be active in the club. If they go out and win they'll enjoy the victory, if not they won't lose any sleep over it.

If you can't go out any play a game without resorting to punching lads and putting in crazy tackles, you should probably examine your motives for playing sport at all.

Fair enough, comment looked a bit snide originally but explanataion is good.

At the same time though, if there is punishment laid down which was being called for here, I would hope that Ballygunner and Roanmore get the same treatment.

No matter what the stakes are, when a 30+ man brawl occurs you have to question how many of the people involved are doing so because they're wound up rather than just seeking a chance to get a few digs in without beiing punished on account of the unmanagable volume involved in the fight?

Given that this is the second time (that I am aware) this has happened in a Ballygunner game in three years, you might even say it's even more worthy of being investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

deiseach wrote: »
    Well, I thought the ref was quite within his rights to do what he did. There was only three minutes gone and already there had been a massive brawl (caused by two lads going at each other as if they were trying to knock each other's block off), a thistle-cutting hack at a lad's hand, and a back ploughing full force into a sparrow-fart of a corner forward as if said forward had made his sister pregnant. I'm sorry I came off as sneery at Junior hurling in what I wrote, but I make no apologies for being amazed that two teams with no obvious grudge against each other should go at it hammer-and-tongs in a group game. Just mad.

Ok you were there fair enough so you have more of an idea. But in your opinion did the ref walk off to make a stand against what was going on or because he just didnt feel like dealing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ollie the Saint

ref came to game 15 minutes late, threw in ball and only dished one yellow card when brawls broke out 2 minutes in, bonmahon sideline mentors mnagers and all ran in and threw flakes. Ref took no control of the game not one red card in site,he walked off pitch and hoped into his car and tore off, a sterner ref which i could name a few in the county (and which are good ) would have taken care of the situation.

ref came to game 15 minutes late, threw in ball and only dished one yellow card when brawls broke out 2 minutes in, bonmahon sideline mentors mnagers and all ran in and threw flakes. Ref took no control of the game not one red card in site,he walked off pitch and hoped into his car and tore off, a sterner ref which i could name a few in the county (and which are good ) would have taken care of the situation.

I bet they'd be delighted to hear you think so well of them - but funnily enough, it never seems to be after a game they've reffed ;)

its hard to be a ref with the abuse that comes with it and all but what this ref did friday night by fleeing the scene and not turning up on time is wrong

Ok you were there fair enough so you have more of an idea. But in your opinion did the ref walk off to make a stand against what was going on or because he just didnt feel like dealing with it?

I don't know him and what motivates him. Perhaps he has a record for dummy-spitting. However once he missed the start of the big brawl - and the lads who started it were not shoving each other with their hurleys, they were beating each other like they were spring-cleaning a rug - and couldn't identify who had started it, he was damned if he did etc. He couldn't have been certain of the correctness of any cards he would have been dishing out and you'd have had people fuming that they'd been shown the line even though they hadn't started it. I'm pretty sure I heard his comment as he marched off correctly - “None of ye want to play the game, so just forget about it” - and I think it was fair comment.

• Advertisement

most matches has a little bite a bit of "get to know you kinda stufff" at the start to it and im not condoning the timber sheding at the start of this particualr match but ive been in games where a more experienced ref would have nipped this in the bud very quickly.

most matches has a little bite a bit of "get to know you kinda stufff" to it and im not condoning the timber sheding at the start of this particualr match but ive been in games where a more experienced ref would have nipped this in the bud very quickly.

Aye, fair enough. If you've been to one Tramore match in the last decade that's one more than me :rolleyes:

Refereeing is a thankless job. I have the utmost of respect for anyone that does it because it takes balls to do it. I think anyone in the right mind that does it knows what they are getting themselves in for well before they step onto any field. The abuse unfortunately is part and parcel of it and I think everyone has been disgusted at some stage or another at abuse they have heard being directed at a ref.

Not taking the moral high ground but I do not believe in abusing refs who go out and do their best to be as fair as possible to both teams. if we didnt have refs we wouldnt have games. Everyone is human and makes mistakes. A ref might only one mistake in a month but that is what he might be reembered for.

I do not agree with what happened in this game however. The whole concept of having a referee is to maintain law & order in a game and see that the rules are applied fairly to both teams. If every ref was to walk away everytime tempers were raised then where would we be at. It seems to me that the ref lost control of this and let himself, the law abiding players and people who paid into the match down by walking away from it. Given the match was only 3 minutes old its hard to defend it no matter what the circumstances

Refereeing is a thankless job. I have the
    I do not agree with what happened in this game however. The whole concept of having a referee is to maintain law & order in a game and see that the rules are applied fairly to both teams. If every ref was to walk away everytime tempers were raised then where would we be at. It seems to me that the ref lost control of this and let himself, the law abiding players and people who paid into the match down by walking away from it. Given the match was only 3 minutes old its hard to defend it no matter what the circumstances

I'd like to know what poor sap paid to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd like to know what poor sap paid to get in!

the lad who posted the report on the previous page... for one..

jive wrote: »
    the lad who posted the report on the previous page... for one..

if this was directed at me then your wrong i never said i paid to get in :) oh and btw i didnt pay

if this was directed at me then your wrong i never said i paid to get in :) oh and btw i didnt pay

nah this post here...
    It's true. Read all about it (okay, a little bit about it :P) here.

"Having negotiated the entrance to the pitch, where I seriously wondered whether the GAA in its wisdom might insist that every club game of any description should have a €10 entry fee"

Although I'm having difficulty understanding that sentence so i'm not 100% sure if it means he paid €10 or not!

jive wrote: »
    nah this post here...

"Having negotiated the entrance to the pitch, where I seriously wondered whether the GAA in its wisdom might insist that every club game of any description should have a €10 entry fee"

Although I'm having difficulty understanding that sentence so i'm not 100% sure if it means he paid €10 or not!

Given he was the one you quoted who said anyone that paid in was a sap, I'd say you can safely assume he didn't pay in.

Given he was the one you quoted who said anyone that paid in was a sap, I'd say you can safely assume he didn't pay in.

ha didn't realise it was the same poster, although it does suggest they were charging (as is the case for the vast majority of games)

http://joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/match-abandoned-as-cork-hurling-star-suffers-serious-injury-0036958-1

and i quote "The talented hurler looks set for a long period on the sidelines if the initial prognosis proves correct and will be a huge loss to Jimmy Barry-Murphy with the Munster championship clash with Clare looming on the horizon. "

annoyed isnt the word

Just thought I'd highlight this. Now, joe.ie don't bother me too much because to be honest it's not exactly cutting edge journalism and I've seen them make mistakes before. I heard the RTE Radio 1 Championship preview piece however with Donal Og Cusack and this is a quote from him "It seems as if there's a tough road ahead, it seems as if the challenge of Clare will be hard enough to get over".

If I had the hurleys with me I'd be wearing them off the walls. I know people more rationale than me would say this is perfect, but no matter how hard I try stuff like this will always anooy the sh*t out of me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Just thought I'd highlight this. Now, joe.ie don't bother me too much because to be honest it's not exactly cutting edge journalism and I've seen them make mistakes before. I heard the RTE Radio 1 Championship preview piece however with Donal Og Cusack and this is a quote from him "It seems as if there's a tough road ahead, it seems as if the challenge of Clare will be hard enough to get over".

If I had the hurleys with me I'd be wearing them off the walls. I know people more rationale than me would say this is perfect, but no matter how hard I try stuff like this will always anooy the sh*t out of me :mad:

Sure isn't Gerry Flannery the former Munster Rugby player one of the main men behind this( sh*te) sorry meant to say site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I don't know whether it was said in such a way to write us off or maybe it was just ignorance on his part that he didn't know Waterford were on the same side of the draw as Clare and Cork.
    Either way though, hopefully the management team get word of it and pin it on the dressing room wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Tony Browne officially back for another championship! From WLR:
    Waterford Senior Hurling Manager Michael Ryan says Tony Browne is very much part of his plans for this years championship.Tony did not take part in the league campaign, but trained with the panel recently.This would be the 22nd consecutive Championship season for the Mount Sion clubman.Michael Ryan says the blend of youth and experience is very important for this Waterford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

amazing player he must be the oldest and longest player to be playing in both Football and Hurling championships.

Pity he might never get an all ireland medal.

This must be his last year.

Can see Seamus Prendergast and The Brick going this year as well

id been one of the people kind of half hoping hed step aside but between injuries retirements and lads not being available its actually a massive boost coming up to the championship now

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    amazing player he must be the oldest and longest player to be playing in both Football and Hurling championships.

Pity he might never get an all ireland medal.

This must be his last year.

Can see Seamus Prendergast and The Brick going this year as well

Christy Ring played his last championship game for Cork when he was 43.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

is that young lad thats hurling with lismore, jordan shanahan any relation of dan and maurice?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

is that young lad thats hurling with lismore, jordan shanahan any relation of dan and maurice?

He is a first cousin to Dan & Maurice. I think he's only about 16 or 17. He seems to be maturing in to a fine hurler and only made his debut for the lismore senior team this year.

alllcounty wrote: »
    He is a first cousin to Dan & Maurice. I think he's only about 16 or 17. He seems to be maturing in to a fine hurler and only made his debut for the lismore senior team this year.

I'd say he's out of Minor, maybe in his last year Minor but I reckon he'd be on the minor panel is that was the case.

• Advertisement

Just looking over a couple of the senior hurling results, and looks like there were a couple of hidings handed out already. Ring and Roanmore would look to be a bit off the pace, even at these early stages.

Without wanting to instigate another large debate over structures, has anyone had a look at the games this year, and be able to comment? Are games as competitive/less competitive than other years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement