Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lmcgtb

When do they normally release timetables for BESS? I applied for a job and they want to know what hours I'll be available ASAP.

Hey, I just found out that they're releasing the timetables next Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

Hey I was just wondering, have most 1st years already submitted their Module Choice form?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

Timetable is out, if you look up the module code you can see the tutorials slots available for each module. Should i wait until the start of classes to see if i can change tutorials or be proactive and get in contact now?

Maybe a silly question, but how do you know which tutorial to go to? When you look up the tutorial times there are so many, and I don't know how to find out which one is mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

When you go in your first week you'll either be sent an email with tutorial groups or it'll be on the module course info given out in person or on blackboard. Usually during the first week there are no tutorials during first year iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what way the exams for BESS work? I'm hoping to be starting in September and I've tried google but it seems to be failing me, all that I can find regarding semesterisation are articles from 2008. Is it that you study certain modules sept-dec and then sit exams in these and then do the same for summer exams?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what way the exams for BESS work? I'm hoping to be starting in September and I've tried google but it seems to be failing me, all that I can find regarding semesterisation are articles from 2008. Is it that you study certain modules sept-dec and then sit exams in these and then do the same for summer exams?

Thanks

6 modules, each of which is split into 2 parts. Not all modules have exams other than the end of year exams. For the modules which do have exams, there are exams in December (for part 1 of the module) and Easter (?) for part 2 of the module, and then end of year exams which combine both parts of the module.

andrew wrote: »
    6 modules, each of which is split into 2 parts. Not all modules have exams other than the end of year exams. For the modules which do have exams, there are exams in December (for part 1 of the module) and Easter (?) for part 2 of the module, and then end of year exams which combine both parts of the module.

Thanks, really appreciate the help! Sounds like keeping up from day one is the way to go then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Unless things have radically changed, exams take place in both reading weeks, not December/Easter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Tragedy wrote: »
    Unless things have radically changed, exams take place in both reading weeks, not December/Easter

Yeah you're right there, I was assuming my masters exams are around the same time as undergrad ones, which they very aren't.

• Advertisement

When are the reading weeks? (Sorry I'm so clueless)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

I know this question has been asked in previous years but I was hoping what are the experiences of present day BESS students, of the course, the atmosphere, the people... especially seeing as I'll be going in there (fingers crossed) knowing absolutely no one...

EaSwe wrote: »
    I know this question has been asked in previous years but I was hoping what are the experiences of present day BESS students, of the course, the atmosphere, the people... especially seeing as I'll be going in there (fingers crossed) knowing absolutely no one...

I'm in the same boat, really hoping I get this course, August is seeming ages away!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I just finished first year BESS and I've had a great year. As far as the people and the atmosphere go, it is a little intimidating at first. The lectures are huge and there is a certain crowd that went to the same secondary schools and know tons of people before starting the course, but the majority like myself go in knowing absolutely no one and get on grand. It's such a huge course that there's such a mix of people and personalities, and can get cliquey after a while, but the majority are so lovely. You'll have 5 odd tutorials every week with different small groups from the course plus you'll have your s2s groups (like social groups lead by mentors who are older year BESS students), which are in my opinion the easiest ways to meet people from the course along with Halls if you're staying there. It's really so much easier to meet people than you might think.

The course itself is really interesting if you're in any way business minded. Saying that, the business module in first year is actually pretty boring. The workload is manageable, but do try keep on top of work week on week, because it will so benefit you when you get to exam season and you don't have to cram a year's work but end up giving advice on boards.ie instead :P

If you think Business in 1st year is boring, God help you. Best module I did in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

If you think Business in 1st year is boring, God help you. Best module I did in 3 years.

I think it's one of those modules that you grow to appreciate when you progress through the years in BESS.

I think it's one of those modules that you grow to appreciate when you progress through the years in BESS.

It's probably dependent on who your seminar leader is too. We had Mary-Lee Rhodes and within weeks were debating, arguing and doing mini presentations. Really enjoyable activities that are very applicable to the real world.
    And none of which (aside from monotonous slide based presentations) we did ever after.

I also found the historical context very relevant in the 3rd year OD module, which again, was a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

I'm about to go into my final year.
    The course is good, although, to be honest like *all* college courses can get a bit monotonous and boring at times.
    In 1st year the course is absolutely huge - all your lectures are in lecture halls of 400 people, BESS is a mishmash of many different courses in 1st year, you take Economics with all the TSM students, Sociology with all the Social Work, SocSocPol and TSM students, and so on. To be honest, I'd say don't bank at all purely on making friends in lectures and tutorials in first year. I made all my friends through college societies and sports teams. BESS is really too large to have a know-your-class feel, especially in 1st year. If you are staying in Halls you will make loads of mates so don't worry. If you're living at home or somewhere rented by yourself, get involved with college societies and/or sports teams. It's one of the best way to make friends. The workload is fine in 1st year - if you're good enough to get into TCD its quite easy to get a 2.1 in 1st year with a bit of work.

I will say though I often regret skating through first year (and perhaps the rest of college...). You can get by without doing the assigned readings and cramming at the end of 1st year, but I'd encourage you to actually do the readings etc. Its quite different to secondary school - you won't be spoonfed info. Often the lectures are very broad summaries of one or two chapters in a book - you're supposed to go and actually read them chapters in your own time, and also read assigned articles/journals too. If you're smart in anyway you can get by without doing these but I'd really encourage you to do them. From a practical point it saves you a huge cramming headache at the end of the year, and it will also genuinely feel good to be properly educated and feel your critical thought capacities etc expanding. I often found myself being intrigued by topics while cramming at the end of the year, wishing I had taken the time to actually read them at the time they were assigned. So, join socs/clubs, go to events and talk to people (this can be tough, especially in 1st year, but genuinely everyone is in the same boat, everyone wants to make friends, don't be afraid to put yourself out there no matter what), and do your basic readings!

In 2nd year you specialize, so you're only continuing on with one or two of the subjects (eg. Econ/Sociology, Politics/Business etc). From this point on it can be better in the sense that the classes are a bit smaller and you may get to know specific classmates through group work or classes etc. Business for example can get a bit boring - finance and accounting is mandatory in 2nd year, and is zero craic (I found at least). Stuff like Marketing is interesting and OB(which is basically psychology). You choose your 'subjects' for 2nd year but there's no choices in the specific classes offered (at least for Business & Econ route).

In 3rd year you have much more choice. You can make the degree say as quantitative (finance/accounting etc) as you want or do more subjects like management and marketing etc. Be aware that the more word-y type subjects are not always easier - you have to do a lot of reading and spending time on assignments for stuff like marketing & the management theory type courses. The finance/accounting routes are arguably difficult but straightforward.
    Also I'll tell you this - if you can - GO ON EXCHANGE. I'm just finishing mine up now and it is the best thing I've done in college. Even if you're going by yourself (which won't happen), just go, you might feel anxious before leaving but don't let this put you off and promise me, if you're able to go on exchange do it! if you've any other Q's ask!

Sgro wrote: »
    Also I'll tell you this - if you can - GO ON EXCHANGE. I'm just finishing mine up now and it is the best thing I've done in college. Even if you're going by yourself (which won't happen), just go, you might feel anxious before leaving but don't let this put you off and promise me, if you're able to go on exchange do it! if you've any other Q's ask!

I'm finishing mine now too, and it's not guaranteed you'll have the best time ever. Overall, I think I would prefer to spend a semester in TCD than where I am now. A lot depends where you go, what kind of bureaucratic mess you get into, and what people you meet (Exchange students are generally great craic. It's a bit like first year - everyone wants to make friends!). Going on Exchange can also mess up some of your internship/job prospects for the forthcoming summer (you could be coming back mid- to late-June, which would make you not qualified for a summer internship in firms with more rigid structures).

So overall, you have to balance these considerations too. I'm not trying to persuade you not to go, just trying to play the devil's advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 connolly12345

I'm in first year bess now and was just wondering about exams next week...

You know how part of the assessment for each module is coursework and part is the annual exam? do you have to pass the exams if you already have enough % to pass the module from your coursework? eg 20% of the politics assessment is an mcq in michaelmas term... I got 100% in it so I already have 20%, so then if I got like 25% in the summer exam - 25% of the remaining 80% (ie. what the annual exam is worth) is 20% - then I'll have 40% overall for the politics module, if that makes any sense... so like, that's a pass?
    But.. it says in the exam guidelines that if you fail the 'paper' then you have to sit the supplemental exam for it... So, what's even the point in coursework if this is the case?
    This was hard to explain so I don't know if any of this makes sense but I hope someone can help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

You know how part of the assessment for each module is coursework and part is the annual exam? do you have to pass the exams if you already have enough % to pass the module from your coursework? eg 20% of the politics assessment is an mcq in michaelmas term... I got 100% in it so I already have 20%, so then if I got like 25% in the summer exam - 25% of the remaining 80% (ie. what the annual exam is worth) is 20% - then I'll have 40% overall for the politics module, if that makes any sense... so like, that's a pass?
    But.. it says in the exam guidelines that if you fail the 'paper' then you have to sit the supplemental exam for it... So, what's even the point in coursework if this is the case?
    This was hard to explain so I don't know if any of this makes sense but I hope someone can help...

Typically a course will have coursework both to make sure students are doing some work across the year, and not just cramming everything at the end, but also to help take the pressure off the all-or-nothing final exam. While I recognise you did an MCQ (which is basically another exam!), many courses will give significant weight to essays for example, in recognition of the fact that some people really struggle with on-the-spot exams, but shine in an essay they have the time to work on.

With regards to your query re: the paper, my understanding from when I did Politics exams was that you had to get at least 40% in the written exam in order to be deemed as 'passed' for the course as a whole. So if you did only get 25% for the paper, you would have to sit the supplemental exam. I'm open to correction from anyone who may know otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

As far as I'm aware you can pass through compensation. Should you fail the exam your marks in your other subjects can bring you up. I.e they take the average of all your exams and thats your mark for the year

I need people's opinions on this. I really despised maths this year (JF), and do NOT want to keep it up. But from reading pervious posts on this thread (and from talking to people in general) I've noticed that there are quite a few people who think that not continuing with maths makes you a less attractive candidate for jobs in a few years... What are your opinions on this? Like, next year I'm doing all the business modules, Economy of Ireland, French, and International Relations. I'd love to do BBS with French (I loved it this year, oddly enough), and go to France in 3rd year (if I got an erasmus place)... But is that viewed as too soft or easy?

If you really despised JF Maths in BESS then you are probably not going to be looking at very mathematical jobs to begin with, so your problem is not really a problem. If you're doing a BBS then unless you're doing finance, maths shouldn't be much of an issue anymore (of course accounting has maths, but that's like addition and subtraction mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

So I got 460 in the mocks and would give my right arm to do Bess. The language module is so interesting and so much choice. Anyway I'm nervous because im not sure what the points will be next year. I've started the leaving well but hope to continue racking up more points. Will the points make a drastic leap or anything? Also doing pass Maths so I'm afraid of that being a problem.

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    So I got 460 in the mocks and would give my right arm to do Bess. The language module is so interesting and so much choice. Anyway I'm nervous because im not sure what the points will be next year. I've started the leaving well but hope to continue racking up more points. Will the points make a drastic leap or anything? Also doing pass Maths so I'm afraid of that being a problem.

My blunt advice would be to go study instead of projecting your fears on an internet forum. Asking here in the middle of the Leaving Cert is not helpful to you.

However, points for BESS are quite stable. They will probably hover around 500. Pass maths is not a problem if you're good at it. If not, then it might be. People usually do better in the LC than in their mocks. I think I got like 410 in mine and then 545 in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Louis Lane 6

Help! I'm looking for JF BESS books, Economics, Maths and Politics. I'll be happy to pay for second hand editions. Please let me know here or by PM if you can help.

Help! I'm looking for JF BESS books, Economics, Maths and Politics. I'll be happy to pay for second hand editions. Please let me know here or by PM if you can help.

If you don't get any offers on here don't worry, second hand BESS books are abundant on campus via noticeboards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

any chance of bess dropping by 10 points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    any chance of bess dropping by 10 points?

You never really know until Monday obviously how it'll pan out. Apparently though demand for Economics and Business courses has gone up this year, so that doesnt bode well for a points drop unfortunately.

Good Luck though, hopefully we'll both get an offer on Monday..:D

Advertisement