Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Bogota wrote: »
    You see this is what I absolutely hate about your posts sometimes. You twist my arguments into some kind of vendetta against Munster players.

The reason it was relevant was because I merely stated that I hope Ferris comes back soon because theres such a void and I dont think McLaughlin (oh my god a Leinster player :rolleyes:) and POM are exceptional at international level.

Obviously because you have perceived it as a 'pop' at a player from your team you've decided to have a go at me.

Yes, because it's just me that thinks you have something against POM :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm out. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,810 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What has Bogota's obviously skewed opinion on POM have to do with Ulster?

Loose connection to Ferris to begin with but now has lost relevance!

Just on Ferris I wonder where he would stand in the history of Irish rugby if he retired now?

An unfulfilled talent? In Ulster we know he is really really good, in Ireland we know he is very good, but outside of Ireland I wonder if the rest of the world are as convinced. Not because he isn't but because of injury he has never really had the chance to prove it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Well there was, but maybe you chose to block all that out.

Add in the fact that POM is only 23, has captained both Munster and Ireland and isn't even near the peak of his game, and you've the making of a top class 6.

But I suspect you're aware of that, and just threw in a snide off hand remark.

By the way, Croft is out for the season, was poor for the Lions and has barely played for England since 2012.

There was nowhere near the same response and that is a fact. Of the 6s left out, Robshaw was the massive story.

And your missing the point, POM has the potential to be international class I never said he hasn't. All I said if you would care to read my comments again was that right now I dont consider him (or any other 6s other than Ferris) on par with 6s from other top teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

bilston wrote: »
    Loose connection to Ferris to begin with but now has lost relevance!

Just on Ferris I wonder where he would stand in the history of Irish rugby if he retired now?

An unfulfilled talent? In Ulster we know he is really really good, in Ireland we know he is very good, but outside of Ireland I wonder if the rest of the world are as convinced. Not because he isn't but because of injury he has never really had the chance to prove it.

Has there been any injury update on Ferris? I asked this the other day but no one seemed to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

There was nowhere near the same response and that is a fact. Of the 6s left out, Robshaw was the massive story.

And your missing the point, POM has the potential to be international class I never said he hasn't. All I said if you would care to read my comments again was that right now I dont consider him (or any other 6s other than Ferris) on par with 6s from other top teams.

You really are tracing paper fella!

You really are tracing paper fella!

I reckon if I put up a poll on a neutral forum asking people to vote for the best player between Lydiate, Croft, POM and McLaughlin it would go Lydiate, Croft as 1 and 2.

But what do I know, let's leave it there.

I reckon if I put up a poll on a neutral forum asking people to vote for the best player between Lydiate, Croft, POM and McLaughlin it would go Lydiate, Croft as 1 and 2.

But what do I know, let's leave it there.

I'd say it would too, in fact I'd vote for Croft. Great player when he's fit.

Doesn't have any relevance to your statement that POM isn't an international class 6 though.

I'd say it would too, in fact I'd vote for Croft. Great player when he's fit.

Doesn't have any relevance to your statement that POM isn't an international class 6 though.

It does when I define international class as parity with at least one or some of the 6s of NZ,SA,Aus, France,England,Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Has there been any injury update on Ferris? I asked this the other day but no one seemed to know

Not really, last we all heard was that he had until January so I can't see us getting much info until the end of the year unless he says something on Twitter himself. Fingers crossed he can get back to fitness though, it's almost easy to forget how good he is/was!

• Advertisement

It does when I define international class as parity with at least one or some of the 6s of NZ,SA,Aus, France,England,Wales.

OK, I'll play that game then. Scott Fardy plays 6 for OZ this weekend, Luatua played 6 for NZ against Argentina.
    Even the blindest eye would agree POM is at least parity with both of them (actually he's a far superior player to both).

So, by your logic, (which you're making up as you go along!), POM is an international class six.

QED.

;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can we move on from the POM discussion please? :)

Not that I'm aware of, hopefully back around the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

This from UAFC (Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:32 am) ..
    Spoke to big Stevie yesterday evening, still in the moon boot, said the ankle is progressing slowly, he is off on holiday to refresh the body then back for "serious" training, is hoping to be back in December.

Out of interest, would I be completely out there to tip Henderson to start a few games for Ireland in the 6N??

Out of interest, would I be completely out there to tip Henderson to start a few games for Ireland in the 6N??

He could easily start a few games in the 6Ns. He wouldn't be in the first choice XV at this moment in time but he is close enough to be considered a real possibility be it at 6 or in the second row especially with the odd injury always likely.

It would probably help if he nailed down one position in the meantime though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭launish116

Fitzpatrick struggled when he came on last week so why start him over Lutton if Glasgow's scrum is stronger.

Scrum still seemed to be dominant regardless of ref's decision

I've been thinking this to, If we remember to the very start of last season wasn't the likes of Afoa kept on the bench letting the weaker front row gain experience, then rush Afoa etc on for a game changer? leaving the thought Lutton is now ranked higher than Fitzpatrick and hoping he ca do damage when brung on.

or

they've decided Fitzpatrick is more important (still think he's a stronger scrummager) especially with Heineken coming up and he needs more game time and a chance to grasp the new engage more competitively.

then again its not the strangest team decision this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thought for the day
    Ulster Rugby ‏@UlsterRugby 55m

Our Chaplain, Rev A Thompson is on BBC Radio GMU 'Thought for the Day' this morning remembering Noel, Graham & Nevin Spence 1 year on.

May they Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

3-3,Jackson just nailed one from far enough out.

Great game so far, porters playing surprisingly well, wilson made some yards to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

This Porter fella is having a crackin game. Kicking good, passing is spot on and he's sharp as a tack. I assume he's a young fella not long the scene and IQ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This Porter fella is having a crackin game. Kicking good, passing is spot on and he's sharp as a tack. I assume he's a young fella not long the scene and IQ ?

Not particularly. He's 25, was in England up until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Tom Court has lost a lot of weight and is looking hot.

Ulster should have this wrapped up by now,that last pass is causing them trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

How are Glasgow about to win this? Ulster should have been far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This was farcical on an Ireland-Scotland 6 Nations level. How Ulster didn't even score a point with that possession is staggering. 2 dropped passes for walk in tries which would have been taken 99/100 (that's not an exaggeration), and a simple pen miss from a kicker who had nailed everything else that would have made it a 2 score game. Incredible

Ulster threw that one away. Butchered chance after chance after chance to get out of reach and then coughed up a try to 14 men with a minute left. You couldn't make it up.

If Ulster were an Italian football team, I'd suspect they had made bets against themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well Ulster have just killed a lovely little coupon on me there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Watching the last five minutes at work:

tumblr_m32f78pDz81rqrr67o1_500.gif

P_1 wrote: »
    Well Ulster have just killed a lovely little coupon on me there...

The opposite for me!
    Ying and yang of gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

You are sh*tting me Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Tox56 wrote: »
    This was farcical on an Ireland-Scotland 6 Nations level. How Ulster didn't even score a point with that possession is staggering. 2 dropped passes for walk in tries which would have been taken 99/100 (that's not an exaggeration), and a simple pen miss from a kicker who had nailed everything else that would have made it a 2 score game. Incredible

Not to mention getting held up over the line with a big overlap. P Marshall got outside of his man and you were just waiting for him to throw a dummy and glide through the gap but he opted to pass and the defence managed to drift across and cut out the space. 9/10 Marshall would've went himself and Ulster would've scored.

So frustrating.

No idea how that was lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well, that's disappointing.

Fcuk. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's stuff like this that you look back on at the end of the season if you haven't made the playoffs.

I have missed both our games this season, but I am nervous about this season.

Everyone will want our scalp this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster's trip to Connacht next weekend will be very interesting indeed!

It's a must win for us now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

awec wrote: »
    I have missed both our games this season, but I am nervous about this season.

Everyone will want our scalp this season.

And so far it doesn't look like it will be too hard. This is not what I was expecting from Ulster. Hopefully the team can lift, a loss to Connacht would really put the cat among the pigeons.

Still missing Best, Afoa, Ferris, Pienaar, Olding, Wallace, Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy so all is not lost yet.

Our best 5 or 6 players are amongst that lot (Williams aside). I believe Glasgow were more or less at full strength last night.

Thats not an excuse, we still should have won, but it is still a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Generally a tough nut to crack at home too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Still missing Best, Afoa, Ferris, Pienaar, Olding, Wallace, Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy so all is not lost yet.

Our best 5 or 6 players are amongst that lot (Williams aside). I believe Glasgow were more or less at full strength last night.

Thats not an excuse, we still should have won, but it is still a factor.

In fairness to Glasgow they were missing Horne, Kellock, Maitland, Matawalu and Weir. I don't think it mattered anyway tbh, Ulster lost that game rather than Glasgee winning it. Glasgow were poor last night and they still won, when they get a few of those players back (Matawalu mainly), and Hogg actually contributes (in open play), they'll be a serious side. Wouldn't put it past them to top the league.

Ulster did look good for a lot of the game though. Had those passes stuck for the missed try opportunities it would have been a romp. Crazy that they lost it but they weren't beaten off the pitch so I wouldn't be worried about the season off the back of that result

They need to start using Marshall for something other than crash balls though or he's gonna end up killing himself.

Ulster did look good for a lot of the game though. Had those passes stuck for the missed try opportunities it would have been a romp. Crazy that they lost it but they weren't beaten off the pitch so I wouldn't be worried about the season off the back of that result

They need to start using Marshall for something other than crash balls though or he's gonna end up killing himself.

How did Marshall not hold onto Jackson's pop. He had the line at his mercy. I hope Olding plays next week somewhere in the midfield.

It was a much better performance by Jackson last night. Really good to see, of course he still missed a kick he should have got but overall he was one of our best players.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    In fairness to Glasgow they were missing Horne, Kellock, Maitland, Matawalu and Weir. I don't think it mattered anyway tbh, Ulster lost that game rather than Glasgee winning it. Glasgow were poor last night and they still won, when they get a few of those players back (Matawalu mainly), and Hogg actually contributes (in open play), they'll be a serious side. Wouldn't put it past them to top the league.

Fair enough had forgotten about Matawalu who is a big loss for them. I know you say Glasgow were poor and still won but if any one of Gilroy, Bowe or Trimble had been available Ulster would have won, I know it's easy to say that but one of them would have taken Allen's chance at the start of the second half.

Still we lost and 2 points from 2 games is a poor start. Lets also remember that as things stand we have no idea what the criteria for European qualification is for next season so we need to be very very careful.

Just saw the highlights, how on earth did we drop those 2 :(

I know you say Glasgow were poor and still won but if any one of Gilroy, Bowe or Trimble had been available Ulster would have won, I know it's easy to say that but one of them would have taken Allen's chance at the start of the second half.

Allen should of put that away o question, but i thought he had enormous work rate last night and is more physically than Gilroy
    Still we lost and 2 points from 2 games is a poor start. Lets also remember that as things stand we have no idea what the criteria for European qualification is for next season so we need to be very very careful.

now you mention that, it does start to sound quite worrying especially with a trip to galway up next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Today is the anniversary of Nevin Spences passing. Its still a shock and I still find it creeping into my mind whenever I watch Ulster play. What a loss to this Island and to the world of sport. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

RIP to the 3 Spence men. Gone but never forgotten...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement