Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Wasn't there some high moral announcement when they came out that they weren't to be used as cash cows, and would only be put on black spot known accident areas and high risk areas?

Well, that lasted long. 2 cameras on the 120kph Ballincollig Bypass today in Cork, one facing east, one west on a lovely wide open Dual Carriageway. Fish in a barrel!

can you describe what you saw.
    if you saw rubber strips across the road.. they count traffic.. THEY ARE NOT SPEED CAMS

there were strips across both carriageways, and another one near the pub at the end of the dual carriageway, and there was another set on the outbound land of the south link (not the south ring)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think the private gatso's will flash and have garda and a safety message on them.

What your seeing now is actually them in a testing phase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Absurdum wrote: »
    so their job is not to deter speeding (you know, that crime that leads to death and destruction), but rather to let people continue speeding and hit them with fines and points at a later date
    road safety my big hairy arse :rolleyes:
    Is it not better though to catch people speeding and let them get hit with fines, points and increased insurance premiums and thus possibly change their habits.
    Otherwise if you have advertised gatsos people just jam on when they see them.
    Its very simple, I dont see what people dont understand, dont go over the limit and you dont need to concern yourself with white van paranoia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There was a Garda hiding behind lamppost with a speed camera on Sarsfield Quay in Dublin city centre this morning.

As you across over the Liffey at Heuston Station going into the city centre, he was just before the next bridge (Rory O'Moore bridge).

It was a nasty spot, because two lanes filter into one, and I think it's the start of the 30kph zone.
    So anyone who speeds up to filter into the left hand lane would've probably got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

pa990 wrote: »
    can you describe what you saw.
    if you saw rubber strips across the road.. they count traffic.. THEY ARE NOT SPEED CAMS

Yes, I know what traffic counters look like. They're everywhere in Cork at the moment too. But these were camera vans.

[EDIT]Jeez that sounds sarcastic, but it's not meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kwalshe wrote: »
    Is it not better though to catch people speeding and let them get hit with fines, points and increased insurance premiums and thus possibly change their habits.
    Its very simple, I dont see what people dont understand, dont go over the limit and you dont need to concern yourself with white van paranoia

You dont feel that speed limits in certain locations are not appropriate?

You really believe that the speed limits are 100% correct across the entire country?

That there is nowhere that the speed limit is stupidly low where a road can easily handle a higher speed limit?

What about previous main roads along newly built motorways that were 100km/h for years without issue, what's the reason for them to be reduced to 80km/h ?

I have no problem following speed limits that are suitable but across the entire country there are areas where the speed limits are much too low and areas where they are much too high and I'd prefer if common sense was thought to drivers so they know how to judge a speed suitable for the road rather than trying to police them by using gatso cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kwalshe wrote: »

I dont think people are disputing speed detectors being put in places where they could reduce deaths i.e. a R road in Donegal at 3 on a saturday night may save life's (sorry Donegal people but i had to use something as an example)

Putting one on a motorway and catching and fining people for doing 122kph in a 120kph is nothing more than a money making exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the private gatso's will flash and have garda and a safety message on them.

What your seeing now is actually them in a testing phase

i hope they flash but i've seen one under a bridge and stood on the bridge watching people go past and its not flashing and some of them are definatly speeding

its under the n17 -n4 flyover at charlestown in mayo i'll video it if i get a chance

but they better not start caausing people to slam on; from what i've read there will be signs up like there were on the m50 or like up in donegaal that say "speed cameras in operation" and they will or will not be aroubnd on any particular day

if they are not garda they can't say garda there are a goodfew garda vans but the private ones are different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Tigger wrote: »
    if they are not garda they can't say garda there are a goodfew garda vans but the private ones are different

and if you happen to park behind one, you aren't obstructing a Garda :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The amount of them is crazy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

draffodx wrote: »
    You dont feel that speed limits in certain locations are not appropriate?

You really believe that the speed limits are 100% correct across the entire country?

That there is nowhere that the speed limit is stupidly low where a road can easily handle a higher speed limit?
    You know what, i do agree with you, some limits are just thick, but that to me is a seperate issue/thread and something that needs to be addressed on a national level as the local councils who control obviously dont understand how to do it.
    But i go back to my point stick to the limit , be they right or wrong and no probs. I dont like they tax rates etc the revenue makes me pay and i think many are too high , the that bakstard makes me pay too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Why don't we do a special non-discussion sticky.

Everyone stick a digital camera in their car. Make sure that the date and time is set correctly.

When you see one of these new vans, stop next to it, take a photo of it, and take a picture of what their camera is looking at.

If you have GPS in your car, take note of the coordinates.

Then post it all up here. When we have 1,000 photos of them on motorways and dual carraigeways, everyone get on to their local TDs and insist on an answer on why they aren't on backroads instead.

By the way, can they have Garda written on them when they're a private company? Surely that's impersonating a Garda, which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..thats a gards speed trap you saw; the private gatso don't flash and have no markings they are very discrete

"discrete" ? Is that what we're calling 'sneaky', now ?

Next thing we'll be referring to them as "safety camera's"........ :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    "discrete" ? Is that what we're calling 'sneaky', now ?

Next thing we'll be referring to them as "safety camera's"........ :rolleyes:

no: sneaky is mud on yer plates

no: sneaky is mud on yer plates

I think the technical term is 'Traffic Film'. Hence TFR. Which is kinda ironic, given that we're talking about camera's.........:p :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The private vans will have no branding and will use a variety of models/colours to ensure they aren't easy to spot.

This has been confirmed but too headwrecked to find a source, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

How much are they costing the taxpayer??

Tragedy wrote: »
    The private vans will have no branding and will use a variety of models/colours to ensure they aren't easy to spot.

This has been confirmed but too headwrecked to find a source, sorry.

....all the more reason for people to make of the details of them, when you DO come across them, and to let us know. In the interest's of Road Safety, of course...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

In the interest's of Road Safety, of course...

Of course...:D

The company is based in Listowel, Co Kerry. Have seen a good few around the area 'testing'.

• Advertisement

The company is based in Listowel, Co Kerry. Have seen a good few around the area 'testing'.

...isn't there a well-know photo business down that end as well ? Ooooh, is that a coincidence ?

Btw, don't just tell us about them: show us !

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

These are the only regs I could find about them.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/safetycameras.pdf/Files/safetycameras.pdf

...isn't there a well-know photo business down that end as well ? Ooooh, is that a coincidence ?

Btw, don't just tell us about them: show us !
    Good work!
    The Go-Safe consortium is led by Spectra(Listowel) with Egis Projects and Redflex Holdings the other shareholders.

Egis run etrip and the Port Tunnel, Redflex are an Australian company who to the best of my knowledge will be providing the actual software that processes infringements.

The contract is worth €65million and I believe they project an operating cost of €14million per year which will be offset by the fines.

so
    6.3 Covert v Overt
    Research on the methods used for mobile camera units indicates that both overt and
    covert enforcement programmes are perceived as potentially resulting in positive
    outcomes. In relation to general speed enforcement, it is believed that more overt
    programmes would slow people down more effectively. In relation to speed camera
    enforcement, it is believed that more covert programmes would detect more speeding
    drivers (Senserrick).
    It has been found that overt programmes influence the larger number of law-abiding
    drivers and covert the drivers who tend to offend. Overt programmes have the
    greatest impact on heavily trafficked routes.
    The safety cameras project in Ireland will combine both methods, as mobile safety
    camera units will be capable of operating in either a covert or overt fashion. The
    decision as to how a unit will operate at a particular site will be decided by An Garda
    Síochána (Department of Transport, 2004).
    Some overt observations should be taken, particularly on motorways and dual
    carriageways and in some locations on roads with hard shoulders. At other locations,
    covert will be found to be more suitable. In the first year, say 20% of observations
    should be overt and 80% covert. The overt versus covert mix should be reviewed by
    Office for Safety Camera Management (see section 8.2) after the first year of
    operation of the new privatised speed camera system. The vehicles to be used in the
    speed camera programme should be capable of being used for overt and for covert
    detection. Experience in Queensland suggests that the progression over time should
    be from overt to covert.

80% surprise tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

12 element wrote: »
    One of them parked here this morning!
    I'd say its about the 5th time in the last 2 months that there has been some form of speed detection on this stretch of road.
    Isn't there a bunch of schools there?

Good work!
    The Go-Safe consortium is led by Spectra(Listowel) with Egis Projects and Redflex Holdings the other shareholders..

ooooh the B'sterd's - that's the last roll of film they'll see of mine !

oh, wait, I moved to digital ...........

oh, hey, hey: so has Spectra. Obviously.........:mad: :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't there a bunch of schools there?

Yeah, I think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

I was talking to one of the lads who'll be operating the vans in Limerick. He was telling me they did a trial on friday on the road from Limerick to Abbeyfeale direction. They clocked 205 cars, of which 193 speeding! He also informed me that his job is basically to make sure the cameras are operating, he said if he saw his own wife heading down the road theres nothing he could do.
    He said they clocked a motor bike doing 120mph!!! He'd one of those small number plates on the bike that garda cameras struggle to read, but with their cameras it could be read as clear as day.

And for anyone around limerick.... there is one white van, two orange vans and one red van.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gymsey wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the lads who'll be operating the vans in Limerick. He was telling me they did a trial on friday on the road from Limerick to Abbeyfeale direction. They clocked 205 cars, of which 193 speeding! He also informed me that his job is basically to make sure the cameras are operating, he said if he saw his own wife heading down the road theres nothing he could do.
    He said they clocked a motor bike doing 120mph!!! He'd one of those small number plates on the bike that garda cameras struggle to read, but with their cameras it could be read as clear as day.

And for anyone around limerick.... there is one white van, two orange vans and one red van.

So they take pictures of the vehicles as they pass? Damm.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Gymsey wrote: »

So, they havn't moved to km/h yet....

Advertisement