Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan. - Page 144 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you listen to Marty in the Morning on Lyric Fm?
Yes every morning 0 0%
Sometimes I listen depending on the mood 0 0%
I never listen to Marty on Lyric 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

16-08-2014, 10:27   #2146
SaveOurLyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calina View Post
More people listening to Lyric than ever before is not, in that context, an accurate statement. The audience share has not increased.

Marty Whelan, per the RTE press release on 31 July, has 38,000 listeners, an increase of 4000 on a year ago.
How are the above two statements consistent: listeners have increase by 4000, but more people are not listening to Lyric ?

Is it because listeners to other Lyric programs are declining and M's is the only one going in the right direction ?
Advertisement
16-08-2014, 10:55   #2147
Calina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurLyric View Post
How are the above two statements consistent: listeners have increase by 4000, but more people are not listening to Lyric ?

Is it because listeners to other Lyric programs are declining and M's is the only one going in the right direction ?
Lyric is much, much more than Marty Whelan who is not even their highest listenership.

No, both other presenters whom I named have increased audience numbers. Both of them each have more listeners than Whelan. George Hamilton's listenership went up 8000 in the same period.

However, the audience share is static and for the station that's actually not that great. The blurb that Aodan Ó Dubhghaill, Head of RTÉ lyric fm, came out with in terms of listen and silent was borderline embarrassing as well.

Quote:
A leading artist who features regularly on RTÉ lyric fm, Austrian pianist, poet and author Alfred Brendel once said “ The word ‘listen’ contain the same letters as the work ‘silent’. I am delighted that there are now 289,000 ‘silent’ people tuning in to ‘listen’ to RTÉ lyric fm on a weekly basis. Without these listeners the music we play, the thought we put in to programming, the voices that link the music and the care we take in crafting our arts and speech output on FM, online or through other forms of communication, would fall on deaf ears! Thank you all for choosing the station where life sounds better.”
It's worth noticing that the RTE press release did not give a book on book increase figure for Whelan which they did for some other presenters. This leads me to infer that if he had a book on book increase, it was not very impressive.

YOu can read the RTE press release here: http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-off...dio-listeners/

I suspect Lyric might be better spun off as an independent station tbh. I don't know that RTE is really all that interested in it given the Radio 1 figures and frankly, Radio 1 is the station that would most likely lose listeners to Lyric.
16-08-2014, 13:04   #2148
Onthe3rdDay
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calina View Post

It's worth noticing that the RTE press release did not give a book on book increase figure for Whelan which they did for some other presenters. This leads me to infer that if he had a book on book increase, it was not very impressive.
His figures (and almost all Lyric figures) are within the Margin of Error. This is RTE playing games again. They put out a press Release. Why don't they just release the figures and let the public decide who's going up and down.

The fact is that Lyric is one of the few stations I know that has a much higher set of figures as the day progresses which is a big no no in Radio. You put your strongest show out at Breakfast to build audience for the rest of the day.

This isn't Marty's Fault, A different station perhaps even the same time would be fine for him and for lyric listeners. He could play what he wanted and Old Lyric listeners could listen to Classical Music. However there does appear to be a feeling at this stage that the station management are out of touch with whats going on in the real world.
30-10-2014, 11:21   #2149
pinkypinky

No Marty this morning. I flicked on by accident. Is it a midterm break thing?
30-10-2014, 15:34   #2150
eminoz

ditto

flicked on as well. Who knows why - but such happiness, such serenity, such peace with the world.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion