Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

That "Man up" campaign is every kind of shit...

"Man UP is an inspiring, brave new campaign to change the face of domestic violence."
    How about changing the face of domestic violence by not ignoring all adult male victims of domestic abuse, perhaps? Maybe consider female perpetrators of domestic violence? They don't mention these once. Like... It's not a gender issue to begin with!! Their heart is in the right place, but really, they haven't used their brains! Surely they want an end to violence, not only an end to violence against women. On top of that "man up" (as well as "grow a pair") is a God-awful phrase...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That "Man up" campaign is every kind of shit...

"Man UP is an inspiring, brave new campaign to change the face of domestic violence."
    How about changing the face of domestic violence by not ignoring all adult male victims of domestic abuse, perhaps? Maybe consider female perpetrators of domestic violence? They don't mention these once. Like... It's not a gender issue to begin with!! Their heart is in the right place, but really, they haven't used their brains! Surely they want an end to violence, not only an end to violence against women. On top of that "man up" (as well as "grow a pair") is a God-awful phrase...
    It's a campaign ran by Safe Ireland, an organization who's goal is work against violence against women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Lawliet wrote: »
    It's a campaign ran by Safe Ireland, an organization who's goal is work against violence against women.

Aye, and they're guilty of turning it into a gender issue, and one where men are painted only as abusive. Why they feel the need to ignore the fact that men can be abused too, I don't know, but surely an inclusive campaign would be better for society - that goes for male on male and female on female abuse, too. Of course, it's good to have people tackling the horrible issue of domestic abuse, and I suppose having a group doing so specifically for male violence towards women and children is permissable, although a little backward and ignorant, in my opinion. However, to have a campaign that weighs so heavily towards a negative image of men (without anything to balance that) is unfair, and comparable to propagation of only one image of women in the media (Relevant protest). Safe Ireland? More like Safe Women and Children of Ireland. The campaign gives the impression that they are the only people deserving of protection. As well as that, the phrase "Man up" encourages the stereotypical role of men in society. This is a role that has never had room for weakness, emotion, fear, etc. What does this do for male victims of domestic violence? It isolates them, makes them feel worse. I don't mean to say that this campaign will lead to suicides, but this kind of thing contributes to the high rate of suicide in men.

They have such good intentions, but they should really reconsider their approach, or their stance, because the undesirable effects of the campaign are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Spent my last €6 today. On a burrito. That was not goose budgeting. Come on payday, five weeks is too long!

Was that a typo or is 'goose budgeting' a phrase I've never heard of before? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I miss my boyfriend :(
    he lives literally 15 minutes away but there's no bus from my town to his so I can only see him at weekends. argh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

My toof huwts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Stupid sinus pain. It's hardly noticeable all day and then once 4 or 5 O'clock rolls around it gets way worse. I can find no logical explanation for this. Spending my evenings feeling like someone is sticking sharp pointy things into my forehead and eyes is not enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Aoifey! wrote: »

Was that a typo or is 'goose budgeting' a phrase I've never heard of before? :pac:

You've never heard of goose budgeting before? They're fantastic with money it's what there known for. Pfft.

>.>

<.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

English 2 and History on the one day tomorrow - somebody has a personal vendetta against me and wants me to suffer, it would appear....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

SChique00 wrote: »
    English 2 and History on the one day tomorrow - somebody has a personal vendetta against me and wants me to suffer, it would appear....

Jesus! :eek:

That's evil...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Jesus! :eek:

That's evil...

Tell meh about it :( :mad: :eek:
    And I don't understand Macbeth.... wahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Indiego wrote: »
    I miss my boyfriend :(
    he lives literally 15 minutes away but there's no bus from my town to his so I can only see him at weekends. argh.

cycle or walk???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

cant get a lad l met over the weekend out of my head :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

cycle or walk???

It's too far, its a 15/20 minutes drive over mountains and stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I think my best triend gave me a cold. :(

My immune system needs to cop on.

Aye, and they're guilty of turning it into a gender issue, and one where men are painted only as abusive. Why they feel the need to ignore the fact that men can be abused too, I don't know, but surely an inclusive campaign would be better for society - that goes for male on male and female on female abuse, too.
    I agree with the female on female abuse, but complaining that an organisation that focuses on women is ignoring men is like complaining that a children's organisation are ignoring adults.

Of course, it's good to have people tackling the horrible issue of domestic abuse, and I suppose having a group doing so specifically for male violence towards women and children is permissable, although a little backward and ignorant, in my opinion.
    It's not backward, it's necessary for organisations like this to create an atmosphere where female abuse victims can feel safe. Male domestic abuse victims have their own organisations for the same reason. An inclusive organisation that tailors for men and women, will scare some people off, and it more important to protect victims than it is to worry about being 'progressive.'
    Safe Ireland? More like Safe Women and Children of Ireland.
    Well that's what it is, I think it even says so on their website. Just like Amen is for men and children, but not women. I don't see you complaining about them though.
    The campaign gives the impression that they are the only people deserving of protection.
    This is like saying charities campaigns for one group are suggesting other causes aren't worth donating to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, don't feel motivated to do anything, just feel a bit 'ugh' at the moment. Always feel like I'm the extremely unremarkable child in the family, so why even try and be disappointed in myself? Just feel like I need to get as far away as possible from my family so I'll stop comparing myself to my brothers.
    Feel like going into my room and never coming out. Sometimes I just think I can't wait to go as far away from my family as possible. I feel like I could move to Australia and it wouldn't bother me to barley speak to them. I don't know, probably feel completely different tomorrow. Just one of them days!:p
    In summary: Blah!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

Roomies are bitches

Lay down on my bed at 9:15 for a nap.

Woke up now.

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

My birthday was last Thursday so perhaps this ARGH is a bit late but be grand. The guy in my class I like, one of my good friends, was there and we'd mad bants. Went to town and ended up in all the same places chilling. I, of course, was delighted. Ended upstairs in the Bailey, just us. It was turning *that* way and I basically got scared because the last time I felt that way, I got told that he wouldn't do anything with me as we were friends and in the same course yada yada yada. So I ran.

Literally.He understandably got upset because "apparently" he had wanted to and was planning to on my birthday. So, as he was annoyed, he shifted my room-mate, who is also in our class, but didn't know I liked him, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Great birthday.

What's bothering me is that I'm still upset about the whole thing. Hate feeling like this. And I also still like him whilst makes it worse because I know I'm just allowing myself to get hurt. Fun.

Oh, it's gotten worse. DMC-ed with said roomie about how much I liked him and how sad I was about what down with them etc etc. She was so nice and understandable about the whole thing.

Last night, Pharmacy social, swanned around him all night and being all over each other. I had to keep running away to hid because it made me so sad. Don't want to be either of their friends tbh. It's going to be an awful few days. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Ive been comfort eating. :( I dont know why. One thing i hate about winter is how much time i have to spend indoors as a result i have far too much time on my hands to be doing nothing. As a winter child i hate the cold.

Clearly my body knows what it wants more than I do. I don't realise that I needed one person more than I do. But these long nights awake twisting and turning over and over clear sign that with them gone I'm that little bit incomplete. Takes a month to cop onto that ha, I'm slow. Hate being lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Have a big exam in the next 45 mins that I haven't studied for at all.

And the fact that last night was a pure disaster is not helping :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Got two blastardin penalty points today for doing 77 in a 60 zone :( :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Urghhh forever fecking up online orders.. Entered my member id instead of reward id on debenhams webbie, now I have to plead with them instore to give me my points..

So when someone in a project groups says on Thursday: "Yeah, I should have that done tonight."

The translation is: "Yeah, you'll have it by Sunday if you're lucky."

Good to know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Laptop, I can't afford to replace you until after Christmas, PLEASE for the love of God behave.

Cross faulty group projects with people from other years are the worst idea ever. They wont show up to meetings, don't reply to emails, take ages to do their work etc.
    We have a presentation on Monday, we're suppose to have sent off our script for correcting, but I only got some of their stuff last night. I tried to send it there, but the email wont go through. I've asked the others in my group to try and do it but I'm not holding my breathe for them being much help.

They keep making excuses like, 'Oh I'm so busy and this module just isn't a priority' like fuck off, I've got assignments due and an exam next week, believe me this is at the bottom of my to do list. But I know how to be organised, so I found time to do the task we were are set. It's not a big deal to take an hour to work on a fairly simple project, I don't mind that. I do however mind having to waste my time tracking down and nagging these prats because they can't be bothered.

Hate. Group. Projects.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Cross faulty group projects with people from other years are the worst idea ever. They wont show up to meetings, don't reply to emails, take ages to do their work etc.
    We have a presentation on Monday, we're suppose to have sent off our script for correcting, but I only got some of their stuff last night. I tried to send it there, but the email wont go through. I've asked the others in my group to try and do it but I'm not holding my breathe for them being much help.

They keep making excuses like, 'Oh I'm so busy and this module just isn't a priority' like fuck off, I've got assignments due and an exam next week, believe me this is at the bottom of my to do list. But I know how to be organised, so I found time to do the task we were are set. It's not a big deal to take an hour to work on a fairly simple project, I don't mind that. I do however mind having to waste my time tracking down and nagging these prats because they can't be bothered.

Hate. Group. Projects.

Time to dust off this:

what-group-projects-are-supposed-to-teach-you-graph.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Was walking my dog there and a woman walked by with two dogs. A bigger one with a lead and a smaller one without one.

On the way back, the smaller one went over and went for my dog, biting him.

Was far too polite for my own good, and should have had it out with her.

I'll be making a complaint though, her dog should have had a lead, the stupid bitch. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

flyswatter wrote: »
    Was walking my dog there and a woman walked by with two dogs. A bigger one with a lead and a smaller one without one.

On the way back, the smaller one went over and went for my dog, biting him.

Was far too polite for my own good, and should have had it out with her.

I'll be making a complaint though, her dog should have had a lead, the stupid bitch. :mad:

Pun intentional?

Sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement