Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft and pudgy!

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for help and advice.

I'm 5'8 and 118lbs but completely soft and flabby. I look terrible!

I want to know how I can lean out as a non meat eater. I run 5k or so about 3 times a week, diet is fairly crap at the mo.

I know I have to clean up my diet, are weights also necessary? Do I need to up my protein intake with shakes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Stop running so much and lift free weights instead. Eat 120g of protein per day and yes you can take protein shakes if you don't always have time for real food. The key is to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Is diet more important? I wouldn't like to give up running 3 times a week... It's only 5k.

That's a lot of protein!! Will do my best though!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lachin wrote: »
    Is diet more important? I wouldn't like to give up running 3 times a week... It's only 5k.

That's a lot of protein!! Will do my best though!

Thanks!

Diet is far more important than anything else.
    Exercise decisions are a very far away second.

120g isn't that mudh protein once you start eating real food.
    200g of meat at 2 meals is 100g protein. The remaining 20g will be achieved through the little amounts in everything else. Shakes aren't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Mellor wrote: »
    120g isn't that mudh protein once you start eating real food.
    200g of meat at 2 meals is 100g protein.

Non meat eater.

OP look at things like beans, quinoa, nuts, dairy, eggs.
    Those are all protein sources for veggies.

We should ask why are you a non meat eater, and do you not eat any meat or can you eat fish/chicken.

If so then chicken is one of the best protein meats out there and fish is a very good source of protein.

If you are a strict veggie then there are plenty of protein sources that are suitable.

only add shakes if you cannot get enough food into you.

edit,

While weights arent necessary they do make it much easier.

Weights will change the shape of your body, running and diet just makes you thin. It is very, very likely that your overall weight could stay the same if it was just moved around your body, like to your shoulders and away from your belly. Weights can do that, running cant.

Often people can stay the same weight but look thinner and healthier because they have changed their body shape rather than lost mass.

Thanks. I have never eaten red meat and stopped eating fish and chicken in the past year. Things I've read about how they're farmed really turned me off them and I think I'd gag now if I had to eat them.

I will try the weights, ill prob have to go to a trainer initially to learn technique.

I definitely don't want to lose weight.. My ribs are visible at the moment and I'm bony around my chest but I have bingo wings and soft tummy and am very conscious of both areas.

• Advertisement

I definitely don't want to lose weight.. My ribs are visible at the moment and I'm bony around my chest but I have bingo wings and soft tummy and am very conscious of both areas.

You need to lose bodyfat, thats what bingo wings are. Just body fat deposits.

This is achieved mostly through a good balance diet which is less calories than what you use.

Lifting weights can help your body shape change making you appear slimmer.

Read the info in the stickies to learn about your diet, research protein sources for veggies and get a trainer to provide you with a progressive full body weights program using compound lifts. If you wish, you can do some cardio as it will all help you burn energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I believe the term you are looking for to describe your physique is skinny fat :pac: As thegreatiam suggested lifting weights will really help you with your body recomposition - you can shift the last bit of fat and build muscle (tone). You diet will determine how much muscle you gain and fat you lose - your routine will assist with where the muscle goes. Don't be afraid of bulking up (it won't happen) and lift heavy+often.

edit: if jumping into a gym doing weights is a bit daunting consider a cardio/strength program like the jillian michaels 30 day programs. Lifting weights is better though.

Thanks, I actually started jillians 30 day shred this week. I find it grand apart from the weights section on the arms... I have zero strength in my arms!

Thanks, I actually started jillians 30 day shred this week. I find it grand apart from the weights section on the arms... I have zero strength in my arms!

Im not sure what this is. but I will hazard a guess and say youre not doing weights youre doing cardio with a weight in your hand.

While that is good, its not exactly what I meant.

Weights is picking it up and putting it back down and making it heavier and heavier, this will change your body shape. jogging while waving 2kgs in yuor hand won't, no matter how out of breath it makes you.
    Get a good progressive weight program from a trainer or someone here and do it for a minimum of 12 weeks and you will see real changes.

Im not sure what this is. but I will hazard a guess and say youre not doing weights youre doing cardio with a weight in your hand.

While that is good, its not exactly what I meant.

Weights is picking it up and putting it back down and making it heavier and heavier, this will change your body shape. jogging while waving 2kgs in yuor hand won't, no matter how out of breath it makes you.
    Get a good progressive weight program from a trainer or someone here and do it for a minimum of 12 weeks and you will see real changes.

Its not exactly cardio with weights - she does circuit training with specific strength sections with weights, separate cardio and then something else (core i think). Its not as good as just doing a lifting program, but it seems to be a good way to get people into understanding that lifting weights changes their body shape positively.

• Advertisement

Its not exactly cardio with weights - she does circuit training with specific strength sections with weights, separate cardio and then something else (core i think). Its not as good as just doing a lifting program, but it seems to be a good way to get people into understanding that lifting weights changes their body shape positively.

do you know are the weights progressive?

Seems like a step in the right direction tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

do you know are the weights progressive?

Seems like a step in the right direction tho.

There's no mention of upping the weights.

I did 30day shred before but only because I was bored in the evenings.

It's defo more focused towards cardio, though.

But as you said, a step in the right direction.

I think she does mention upping the weight, but its not a set thing i.e she doesn't say - after 1 week increase by x%. I'd definitely suggest it over a pure cardio workout but not before progressive compound lifts. I think its popular and successful because its a relatively unscary way for people to progress from cardio to strength training and contains enough of the latter for people to see some recomposition.

edit: i think the workouts increase in intensity every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gymprincess27

Stop running so much and lift free weights instead. Eat 120g of protein per day and yes you can take protein shakes if you don't always have time for real food. The key is to be consistent.

120g of protein is way too much unless your trying to bulk up, for general toning at 118 pounds you only need about 50-60 grams a day of protein.

120g of protein is way too much unless your trying to bulk up, for general toning at 118 pounds you only need about 50-60 grams a day of protein.

It's not way too much. It's bang on.

It's not way too much. It's bang on.

Believe me its too much

Believe me its too much

Source? I can't just believe you.

Source? I can't just believe you.

Im a personal trainer, i dont need a source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Being a pt doesn't mean making things up

bluewolf wrote: »
    Being a pt doesn't mean making things up

Do you really think id post something if it was made up, stating that im a pt aswell? Cop on seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Lolled hard at the toning comment.

Convinced there is a troll in our midst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

7ZsDEi.jpg

If you want to be believed you need to post a source.

If you want to be believed you need to post a source.

I learnt it in college from my tutor, its written in a notepad and i should'nt have to prove myself. Going to college and getting the cert should be enough.

I learnt it in college from my tutor, its written in a notepad and i should'nt have to prove myself. Going to college and getting the cert should be enough.

I am convinced.

Oh well if it's written in a notepad it must be true.

Any client success stories/pics?

john_cappa wrote: »
    Lolled hard at the toning comment.

Convinced there is a troll in our midst.

I don't know what the troll comment is supposed to mean but im assuming your calling me ugly, at least have the decency to see my face before you start calling people names.

I don't know what the troll comment is supposed to mean but im assuming your calling me ugly, at least have the decency to see my face before you start calling people names.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

He wasn't calling you ugly.

Very sorry gymprincess.

Can you expand on your post In the thread down the page. On protein shakes.

I am anxious to learn what you have learnt .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Your tutor is a dumbell!

Advertisement