Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The LG G4 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

To provide an update, the new battery as predicted did nothing to bring the phone back to life so I rang LG today. After one or two questions, trying to start the phone on only mains power, trying to start the phone on battery power etc. they gave me the number of SBE who are the Irish centre for LG repair (01-4018176). Talked to them and it's just a case of me sending in the phone by registered post with a description of the problem and they should be able to repair it under warranty. Without having looked at the phone themselves and with the time of year that's in it they weren't able to predict a turnaround time but hopefully not more than 2 weeks or so.

One thing the guy in LG did mention though is that the phone would be repaired to UK specs (which is also I imagine the Irish spec) so that means 32GB. Makes no change to me but may be of note if any of you have a 64GB handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RtD wrote: »
    To provide an update, the new battery as predicted did nothing to bring the phone back to life so I rang LG today. After one or two questions, trying to start the phone on only mains power, trying to start the phone on battery power etc. they gave me the number of SBE who are the Irish centre for LG repair (01-4018176). Talked to them and it's just a case of me sending in the phone by registered post with a description of the problem and they should be able to repair it under warranty. Without having looked at the phone themselves and with the time of year that's in it they weren't able to predict a turnaround time but hopefully not more than 2 weeks or so.

One thing the guy in LG did mention though is that the phone would be repaired to UK specs (which is also I imagine the Irish spec) so that means 32GB. Makes no change to me but may be of note if any of you have a 64GB handset.

pretty sure there are no 64GB handsets

Patww79 wrote: »

Repair is what they said yeah. Now they may just want to look at it and just make sure it's not in bits before committing to a replacement. I imagine the Irish crowd don't have a stack of them ready to send out either. Will update as I hear anything more.

Yeah, they'll be wiping it themselves they tell me. Not ideal but I've removed the SD card at least and there's nothing too delicate there otherwise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

hey guys,

is anyone else having issues with messages from apps like Whatsapp, where it doest send the notifications if the screen is turned off?
    I have background data turned on, but it hasnt solved this

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

Nope, just the standard 5.1 os.
    :(

have seen it mentioned as an android bug that appears on other phones, but the standard "factory reset the OS" didn't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have that with Hangouts (don't use whatsapp)
    I'm on 5.1 and more and more I have to log into hangouts before it shows me people who sent me a message.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

whats it been replaced with?

Oh noooo. The hangouts is a far better sums app than standard phone one ffs...that's my xmass ruined lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phantasmagorie

So, American phone providers have now began rolling out marshmallow, where I am yet to even receive an update for 5.1, I guess it's safe to say that 3 won't be rolling out the update.

Does anyone know if any Irish providers will be doing do? I plan on swapping if so.

On three myself but not using a ’three' phone. On 5.1 for what feels like ever. Funny how lg are able to role it out to everyone but us. :(

Yep I know its not as good on battery's and stuff but I'd love the chance to try it out for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

god's toy wrote: »
    On three myself but not using a ’three' phone. On 5.1 for what feels like ever. Funny how lg are able to role it out to everyone but us. :(

Yep I know its not as good on battery's and stuff but I'd love the chance to try it out for myself.

There's no difference really with 6.0. You lose the swipe up for google now, replaced with (the almost useless IMO) now on tap until you turn it off.

I don't see any benefit to battery life nor anything else that was promised really.

It's not worth the hassle and I usually love the hassle of upgrading devices far past where they are supposed to be.

Now a good root might be worth while.

• Advertisement

There's no difference really with 6.0. You lose the swipe up for google now, replaced with (the almost useless IMO) now on tap until you turn it off.

I don't see any benefit to battery life nor anything else that was promised really.

It's not worth the hassle and I usually love the hassle of upgrading devices far past where they are supposed to be.

Now a good root might be worth while.

Yep I understand what you and many more have said about it not being a huge update... but I still want it... and I can't understand why it can't be just an opt-in or beta for those like me who are will to try it, I mean Sammy let you beta test why not LG?

Did any of you try plugging it into the PC and checking using LG Bridge? As far as I know there was no OTA rollout of M here, and I got it via Bridge over a month ago.
    As was said, there's not much different from 5.1, but stuff like the app permissions is very handy and I've noticed the OS is noticeably snappier to navigate too. Doze is good if you leave the phone down for long periods, but it won't work if in your pocket. They've also made the silent/vibrate/priority thing work better, it's still a total mess as always on Android but at least you can actually put the phone in silent now.

If you've an early model one of these phones (built before Sept 15) then do not root it.

Its funny, I look every day on LG bridge and I was just about to say 'Yea I look every day' when I just now made sure before posting this and... It's there! HA! Or at least I think that's it waiting for me... says something about a knock code... hope thats it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone who's interested you can download the latest stock version of MM here & flash it using this yoke.

2iw3vdj.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

A quick tip for anyone who listens to flacs on their LG G4 - there is a sound equaliser mode called 'pure sund'. This will give the purest sound output from the high quality on-board DAC.

Took me a while to see this but when I tried it, the sound difference was noticeable playing through hifi system. A lot cleaner with deeper bass is my best attempt at describing the difference.

jVhCuHZ.png

Edit - It says pure surround which leaves me to believe it may be processed and therefore less pure than normal mode. Perhaps I heard what I wanted to hear. I'll test it out again.

choons wrote: »
    A quick tip for anyone who listens to flacs on their LG G4 - there is a sound equaliser mode called 'pure sund'. This will give the purest sound output from the high quality on-board DAC.

Took me a while to see this but when I tried it, the sound difference was noticeable playing through hifi system. A lot cleaner with deeper bass is my best attempt at describing the difference.

jVhCuHZ.png

Edit - It says pure surround which leaves me to believe it may be processed and therefore less pure than normal mode. Perhaps I heard what I wanted to hear. I'll test it out again.

Are you using a player built in the the G4 or an app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Are you using a player built in the the G4 or an app?

Built in player called ''Music''

Been using Shuttle and pretty happy with it.

Oh and for the record, 'Doze' don't work on my G4. It runs about 15 to 30% over 3 hrs doing nothing at all. on lp I was about 10% per 3hrs

Not complaining, just saying for the record.

Oh and for the record, 'Doze' don't work on my G4. It runs about 15 to 30% over 3 hrs doing nothing at all. on lp I was about 10% per 3hrs

Not complaining, just saying for the record.

Rogue app is my guess.

I think it works on mine. No increase in battery life, but I do notice occasionally notice when I turn on the screen the clock is an hour or two out, before it updates.

• Advertisement

just toss it out there i have a otter box for G4 for sale if any one wants one

Received a patch of about 33mb last night. Says it was for battery and stability. Still 6.0 however.

Received a patch of about 33mb last night. Says it was for battery and stability. Still 6.0 however.

I would love if there was a more detailed change log than this for updates. Even if there was a basic and "click here to learn more about the update"/advanced.

I would love if there was a more detailed change log than this for updates. Even if there was a basic and "click here to learn more about the update"/advanced.

For sure. Really hate generic/blanket info with no meaning.
    Google and a few of the bigger apps out there are the worst for not telling you anything, or worse still, a copy and paste of the last good info they had.... Three updates ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

What's the story on Marshmallow for the LG G4? I got that massive LG 400mb ota file the other day but still no sign of Marshmallow even though my friend who brought the 2 phones back from Hong Kong has hers! Both phones are sim free and I am on 3.

What's the story on Marshmallow for the LG G4? I got that massive LG 400mb ota file the other day but still no sign of Marshmallow even though my friend who brought the 2 phones back from Hong Kong has hers! Both phones are sim free and I am on 3.

I was the very same with no OTA but it came after a while using the LG Bridge software via my PC.

If your on PC or Mac, see here: http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000025-1438110404543-preinstall-apps

In other news, I see LG have committed to replacing devices that show the boot loop error. Turns out it was hardware after all and they only looked into it after people started banding together and shamed them into it... nothing new there for any hardware manufacture

no it doesn't. it just means that if you bought from elsewhere, your phone will be repaired to irish/uk specs and not the ones where you bought it from. This is only an issue if the phone with the spec you bought is not available in ireland/uk.

is there an LG repair centre in Ireland or do they all go to the UK?

pretty sure Irish and UK specs are the same in any event for all phones sold here/there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There is an LG repair centre in Dublin. I looked at getting my LG3 screen fixed there but it was too expensive.

The company that fixes them is not LG themselves but just a third party approved by LG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There is an LG repair centre in Dublin. I looked at getting my LG3 screen fixed there but it was too expensive.

The company that fixes them is not LG themselves but just a third party approved by LG.

just checked there and it's available from loads of irish retailers (pc world, expansys, dabs, fonez,etc.) so why are you saying it's not available in Ireland?

i'd say it's pretty hard to induce a specific loose contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

It's fairly easy to update it yourself assuming it's the unlocked European version, have a look here.

166ymn7.jpg

Right so my G4 died a couple nights ago. I got the dreaded bootloop issue. My retailer is sending it for repair but it'll be a couple weeks before I get it back unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Advertisement