Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Anyone tried to install the OS onto the SD Card?

I have unRAID 6 installed on the internal USB slot. Same principle. Works flawlessly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    I'd be happy to take it off your hands to if you decide not to keep it

RGB.ie said he would take it. Though it will have to be posted to Dublin, which RGB.IE will need to pay for also as I'm not up there in the forseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

yop wrote: »
    RGB.ie said he would take it. Though it will have to be posted to Dublin, which RGB.IE will need to pay for also as I'm not up there in the forseeable.

No problem. I'm in limerick myself so if anything changes let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

£160 at amazon.uk now, but not sure if this qualify for cashback:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-G1610T-ProLiant-Micro-Server/dp/B00DDIC1DA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

zom wrote: »
    £160 at amazon.uk now, but not sure if this qualify for cashback:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-G1610T-ProLiant-Micro-Server/dp/B00DDIC1DA

If you look here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00DDIC1DA/ref=olp_fsf?ie=UTF8&condition=new&freeShipping=1

It's says that that sellers item condition is "Artículo nuevo". That would suggest to me that it's not UK stock and therefore ineligible for Cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Seems to be slightly better deal going on the tower server here My maths is telling me about €120 plus delivery. I tried looking for the Irish version of the cashback application form but had no luck, did anyone use the UK one for their claim?

johnybean wrote: »
    Seems to be slightly better deal going on the tower server here My maths is telling me about €120 plus delivery. I tried looking for the Irish version of the cashback application form but had no luck, did anyone use the UK one for their claim?

That's £155 including VAT. If you mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk they will send you a euro claim form.

Edit: And that's not a Microserver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I think its £90.94 including VAT and excluding delivery after the £60 cash back offer.

Edit,

I know its not a microserver, but perhaps it could be used for many of the same purposes that the current microserver is being used for by a lot of the users here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just got a xeon(1230) for mine, not a bother to install worked right away :)

johnybean wrote: »
    I think its £90.94 including VAT and excluding delivery after the £60 cash back offer.

Edit,

I know its not a microserver, but perhaps it could be used for many of the same purposes that the current microserver is being used for by a lot of the users here.

Good specification PDF:
    http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04567802.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Looking at possibly getting a second NAS as my Synology isn't powerful enough to stream Plex when I'm travelling for work. Set Plex up on my desktop just to try and see if it would work and it was streaming 1080 webdl shows no problem & a 10gb movie fine, my desktop can be a bit noisy and I don't want it running constantly so the HP Gen8 might be an option.

What's it like out of the box when it comes to specs? Would it needed to be upgraded much to be able to transcode Plex?

Looking at possibly getting a second NAS as my Synology isn't powerful enough to stream Plex when I'm travelling for work. Set Plex up on my desktop just to try and see if it would work and it was streaming 1080 webdl shows no problem & a 10gb movie fine, my desktop can be a bit noisy and I don't want it running constantly so the HP Gen8 might be an option.

What's it like out of the box when it comes to specs? Would it needed to be upgraded much to be able to transcode Plex?

Mine struggles sometimes - not sure why. Processor usage never seems very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Danger781 wrote: »
    Mine struggles sometimes - not sure why. Processor usage never seems very high.

Is it straight out of the box no upgrades? My friend has the 7 or 8 can't remember which one which I've used to stream from before and it works pretty decent but he said it struggles at times, no upgraded bar extra ram I believe.

Is it straight out of the box no upgrades? My friend has the 7 or 8 can't remember which one which I've used to stream from before and it works pretty decent but he said it struggles at times, no upgraded bar extra ram I believe.

My gen7 transcodes just fine. I tried it there on 4g and it transcoded 1080p unlimited bitrate with about 5 seconds buffering. No lagging at all. Any transcode issues are more likely to be network related.

Upgraded to 16GB RAM because I intended to run VMs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Just bought the Gen8 from Elara and realised the latest cashback offer is only for September... I assume they're strict on that and I shouldn't bother submitting a claims form..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just wondering if anyone replaced the PSU on one of these? I think the one in my N36L blew last night. PicoPSU seems to be recommended online, but work out fairly pricey.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone replaced the PSU on one of these? I think the one in my N36L blew last night. PicoPSU seems to be recommended online, but work out fairly pricey.

It would be a good time to upgrade. Cashback is on again until the end of the year:

https://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

think I will finally push the button and get this after following this thread for ages - where would be the best place to pick up disks online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Same, I have been waiting for this too. Pulling the trigger as we speak. :)

Bargain alerts pushes me into the red for the 248th time.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Hi,

Great price, I am also looking at the below @ £174.89 after cashback. Has a decent processor when compared to the Microserver, and also allows non-ecc up to 32GB. So higher capacity at a cheaper price.

Anyhow, does anyone know if parcel wizard would deliver it as part of the free join up delivery?

Apologies for the thread hijack!

hxxp://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/dell_tower_servers/20-3708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

tonto2010 wrote: »

Anyhow, does anyone know if parcel wizard would deliver it as part of the free join up delivery?

hxxp://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/dell_tower_servers/20-3708

It's unlikely - for PW "the Maximum box dimensions are 40cm x 40cm x 60cm",
    the Dell tower alone is 43.5cm x 36cm x 17cm. With padding, keyboard & mouse it's hard to imagine the box staying inside the limit.

PW say their usual Irish tariff applies to overweight parcels but don't give any details on their site and are unwilling to disclose costs on the forum here to date.

If you get the boxed dimensions from Server Plus and run it by the PW forum for a quote they might let it through for free - they've done it twice so far rather than reveal (if the DPD UK site is anything to go by) what are likely to be very punitive charges.

Hoping to grab one of these, mostly for use as a NAS. Can anyone help me out with a few questions? The thread has gotten really long and seems like some of the original answers no longer apply.

1) Found it on Dabs - any better prices?
    2) Starting with a couple of 2Tb drives - will I need to buy sata power and data cables?
    3) Thinking of running Ubuntu server, and have read conflicting reports as to whether there are drivers for the built in raid controller - anyone know?
    4) Failing that, I can run with software raid, right?
    5) Is it ok to put the OS on internal SD card or USB drive, or will that mess with performance?
    6) Maybe I'd be better off with the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 64 bit license I've got, if it can support the hardware?
    7) Where's the current location for the claim form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Hoping to grab one of these, mostly for use as a NAS. Can anyone help me out with a few questions? The thread has gotten really long and seems like some of the original answers no longer apply.

1) Found it on Dabs - any better prices?
    2) Starting with a couple of 2Tb drives - will I need to buy sata power and data cables?
    3) Thinking of running Ubuntu server, and have read conflicting reports as to whether there are drivers for the built in raid controller - anyone know?
    4) Failing that, I can run with software raid, right?
    5) Is it ok to put the OS on internal SD card or USB drive, or will that mess with performance?
    6) Maybe I'd be better off with the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 64 bit license I've got, if it can support the hardware?
    7) Where's the current location for the claim form?

1) Not sure how much it is on Dabs but on Serversplus it's 139.95 pounds sterling ex VAT minus the cashback.
    2) No, the bays have all the connections
    3) Not sure, not using it. It does not support RAID 5 by the way! Nor does it have any cache. It's very basic.
    4) Of course, you can put it in AHCI mode and each drive will be individually addressable by the OS
    6) Depends on your needs and wishes. No idea whether the hardware is supported, I would assume so.
    7) https://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback However if you need the irish form you will need to email promotions@out-bound.co.uk

For in-depth information regarding support, drivers, expansion etc check this page: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

serverplus.com pointed me to some nice dell cashback page, but I wonder how they work if purchased from Ireland - any advice?

https://plus.delltradetosave.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

What's the total cost of putting one of these together for running vm's?

I know it will depend on the upgrades you pick but just in general terms to get an idea of what would be needed as a minimum cost?

m8 wrote: »
    What's the total cost of putting one of these together for running vm's?

I know it will depend on the upgrades you pick but just in general terms to get an idea of what would be needed as a minimum cost?

Just the additional cost of OS, drives and RAM. I'd be going for 16GB minimum if you're using multiple VMs.

Depending on your storage requirements you should be able to bring it in for less than €500

zom wrote: »
    serverplus.com pointed me to some nice dell cashback page, but I wonder how they work if purchased from Ireland - any advice?

https://plus.delltradetosave.com/

I know it is bit off-topic and not about HP but any idea if one from Ireland can get cashback for that?

https://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/dell_tower_servers/t20-9179

Price is tempting...

Irish form for cashback on the HP Microserver attached, only €60 which is a bit scabby compared to the UK one of £55 which is closer to €80.

• Advertisement

Irish form for cashback on the HP Microserver attached, only €60 which is a bit scabby compared to the UK one of £55 which is closer to €80.

That's a bit crap alright. If you know someone in the UK then get the sterling cheque sent to them.

stimpson wrote: »
    That's a bit crap alright. If you know someone in the UK then get the sterling cheque sent to them.

I'm in two minds what to do, £14.95 to ship it to Ireland from ServersPlus which makes it only slightly cheaper than Dabs.ie but Dabs don't have stock at the moment.
    I found a PSU I think should be compatible with the N36L for about €60.

I'm in two minds what to do, £14.95 to ship it to Ireland from ServersPlus which makes it only slightly cheaper than Dabs.ie but Dabs don't have stock at the moment.
    I found a PSU I think should be compatible with the N36L for about €60.

Parcel motel?

What PSU are you looking at? The PicoPSU's seem to have dropped in price since I looked at them. I'm tempted to go down that route for silence as I'm working from home a lot and it does make a bit of a hum...

stimpson wrote: »
    Parcel motel?

What PSU are you looking at? The PicoPSU's seem to have dropped in price since I looked at them. I'm tempted to go down that route for silence as I'm working from home a lot and it does make a bit of a hum...

This one, when you add in the cost of the power adapter the Pico's are fairly expensive.

Is the cash back offer valid if you buy from Dabs, sorry if this has been asked already

Is the cash back offer valid if you buy from Dabs, sorry if this has been asked already

It should be included I think, but when I asked they said they :
    "Unfortunately, we do not have any cashback offers on this item at the moment."

• Advertisement

It should be included I think, but when I asked they said they :
    "Unfortunately, we do not have any cashback offers on this item at the moment."

email promotions@out-bound.co.uk and they should be able to tell you. As long as they are a HP authorised reseller you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

Might have one of these for sale in the next couple of weeks. Girl at work has fallen out of love with it.

In perfect condition and very little use.

Might have one of these for sale in the next couple of weeks. Girl at work has fallen out of love with it.

PM me for more info.

GaryCocs wrote: »

might be interested if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Would be interested myself. PM on the way

• Advertisement

Dabs has this for €241.58 and I got an email stating -
    Promotions <promotions@out-bound.co.uk>
    9:31 AM (3 hours ago)
    to me
    Hi

Dabs is an authorised reseller in Ireland.

Still server plus is about 200e (135 Sterling)..

Dabs has this for €241.58 and I got an email stating -
    Promotions <promotions@out-bound.co.uk>
    9:31 AM (3 hours ago)
    to me
    Hi

Dabs is an authorised reseller in Ireland.

Still server plus is about 200e (135 Sterling)..

You'll have to make the order over the phone with Servers plus and it will work out at £165+15=£180 including vat & delivery, but before cashback.
    So I reckon about €185 after cashback (£55).

Dabs would be €252 including vat & delivery, so about €190 including cashback (€60), but they don't have any in stock at the moment.

You'll have to make the order over the phone with Servers plus and it will work out at £165+15=£180 including vat & delivery, but before cashback.
    So I reckon about €185 after cashback (£55).

Dabs would be €252 including vat & delivery, so about €190 including cashback (€60), but they don't have any in stock at the moment.

Yeah, I forgot about the vat on the serverplus price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yeah and the bank will take another cut because it's from a UK bank, even though the check is in Euro!

By the way I had mine delivered via Parcel Motel and it *just* fit in the largest locker.

However they may perhaps decide otherwise in other cases because the fit was a bit tight. Especially on top, and the server has big "this side up" stickers on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Offer back on. Just bought two for €455.26 delivered from dabs. Works out at €168 per server which is pretty sweet. New form attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

how would people who have this rate it?

also if I'd want to use it for media with plex installed, would it cope?

j4vier wrote: »
    how would people who have this rate it?

also if I'd want to use it for media with plex installed, would it cope?

It can handle Plex fine, I stream to several devices from it with no issues - even the older version was able to do that with no problems.
    I'm running it with FreeNas.

Any sign of another deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

• Advertisement
Advertisement