Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collusion issues need a public enquiry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's because the real bombers were in jail
    They gave statements to the courts saying they carried out the bombings....but britin didn't act (God knows what reasons why??) on this info preferring to let innocent Irish people languish in there prisons

The balcombe street gang....afaik they were given a rousing reception at a Sinn Fein ard deis upon their release

The Balcombe street gang were lauded as "our Mandelas" as recognition for murdering innocent English civilians.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The Balcombe street gang were lauded as "our Mandelas" as recognition for murdering innocent English civilians.

Nice.

well, british soldiers got the same treatment, being called heroes for murdering civilians. so i know how you feel

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Nice.

The Balcombe Street ASU did not carry out the Birmingham bombings. They carried out the Guildford & Woolwich pub bombings both military targets that killed 6 British soldiers & sadly 1 civilian. Which the "Guildford 4" were framed for both attacks.
    And the "Maguire 7" were also arrested because Gerry Conlon's aunt Annie supposedly ran a "IRA bomb factory" in her house (a house that had pictures of Churchill, Queen Victoria & Lizzie all over the house) & her 12 & 13 year old sons were supposed to be helping making the bombs(although there was never any bomb making material ever found in their house). Of course all this was bullsh!t but still the seven were found guilty including the youngest member of the trial Patrick Maguire who at 13 was sentenced to a top security prison for men & served 4 years of his 5 year sentence & was 18 when he came out & the best years of his life spent in a cell had clearly hardened him.
    Then there was Giuseppe Conlon who had severe lung & chest problems for years who traveled to England to help his son but he was arrested to because he was selected as the guy who delivered bombs or bomb making material, despite the one trip he made to England nearly killing him. And we all know his tragic ending, when Gerry went to see his dad in hospital he went to give his dad one last hug but as he moved in to hug him one the "security" men told Gerry if he moved another inch he'd blow his brains out.

I believe we were well justified in the Armed National Liberation campaign considering the evilness of the enemy we were facing. They shot over 150 civilians & I'd say 100 more through loyalist proxies.

Jean McConville was a horrible case but like I said about the bias in the British media Joan Connolly who was shot several times in broad daylight by Para's while attending a wounded priest was not mentioned during the conflict at all even tho she was 48 & had 9 kids some still in school. It's only in the last few years that left-wing groups have brought attention & revealed the gory details of how she died.

Then of course Warrington a horrible tragedy 2 young boys killed words can't describe the horror.
    But when it came to Catholic kids being shot dead by British soldiers I can imagine the right-wing British papers now "Our gallant boys shot a little girl who's carton of milk could have been a bomb for all they knew." I'm referring to Carol Ann Kelly who was shot in the head at point blank range by soldiers who had been taunting the residents of the Twinbrook estate Carol Ann lived in. She was just about 50ft away from her house with the carton of milk in her hand she bought for an elderly lady next door when it happened. And to make it more cruel the British Forces of occupation wouldn't let the Ambulance in to treat her for about 20 - 25 minutes vital time that could have saved her life.

I bet people will struggle with these names when I mention them - Julie Livingstone (13), Carol Ann Kelly (12) (who I mentioned), Stephen McConomy (11), Stehpen Geddis (10), Frank Rowntree (11) & Brian Stewart (14)

Where was the outrage when these kids were murdered? As far away from the media as possible because the British were in a propaganda war as well as a Guerrilla one.

well, british soldiers got the same treatment, being called heroes for murdering civilians. so i know how you feel

When?

The Balcombe Street ASU did not carry out the Birmingham bombings. They carried out the Guildford & Woolwich pub bombings both military targets that killed 6 British soldiers & sadly 1 civilian. Which the "Guildford 4" were framed for both attacks.
    And the "Maguire 7" were also arrested because Gerry Conlon's aunt Annie supposedly ran a "IRA bomb factory" in her house (a house that had pictures of Churchill, Queen Victoria & Lizzie all over the house) & her 12 & 13 year old sons were supposed to be helping making the bombs(although there was never any bomb making material ever found in their house). Of course all this was bullsh!t but still the seven were found guilty including the youngest member of the trial Patrick Maguire who at 13 was sentenced to a top security prison for men & served 4 years of his 5 year sentence & was 18 when he came out & the best years of his life spent in a cell had clearly hardened him.
    Then there was Giuseppe Conlon who had severe lung & chest problems for years who traveled to England to help his son but he was arrested to because he was selected as the guy who delivered bombs or bomb making material, despite the one trip he made to England nearly killing him. And we all know his tragic ending, when Gerry went to see his dad in hospital he went to give his dad one last hug but as he moved in to hug him one the "security" men told Gerry if he moved another inch he'd blow his brains out.

I believe we were well justified in the Armed National Liberation campaign considering the evilness of the enemy we were facing. They shot over 150 civilians & I'd say 100 more through loyalist proxies.

Jean McConville was a horrible case but like I said about the bias in the British media Joan Connolly who was shot several times in broad daylight by Para's while attending a wounded priest was not mentioned during the conflict at all even tho she was 48 & had 9 kids some still in school. It's only in the last few years that left-wing groups have brought attention & revealed the gory details of how she died.

Then of course Warrington a horrible tragedy 2 young boys killed words can't describe the horror.
    But when it came to Catholic kids being shot dead by British soldiers I can imagine the right-wing British papers now "Our gallant boys shot a little girl who's carton of milk could have been a bomb for all they knew." I'm referring to Carol Ann Kelly who was shot in the head at point blank range by soldiers who had been taunting the residents of the Twinbrook estate Carol Ann lived in. She was just about 50ft away from her house with the carton of milk in her hand she bought for an elderly lady next door when it happened. And to make it more cruel the British Forces of occupation wouldn't let the Ambulance in to treat her for about 20 - 25 minutes vital time that could have saved her life.

I bet people will struggle with these names when I mention them - Julie Livingstone (13), Carol Ann Kelly (12) (who I mentioned), Stephen McConomy (11), Stehpen Geddis (10), Frank Rowntree (11) & Brian Stewart (14)

Where was the outrage when these kids were murdered? As far away from the media as possible because the British were in a propaganda war as well as a Guerrilla one.

A pub is a military target? Is a west end restaurant as well?

And your point is what? That the media is biased?

• Advertisement

When?
    all the time

all the time

Thank you for your precise, informative response. With comprehensive supporting evidence like that, it is obvious that you are not in any way bull****ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Thank you for your precise, informative response. With comprehensive supporting evidence like that, it is obvious that you are not in any way bull****ting.

Says you who drew the conclusion that the balcombe street hand were lauded as mandalas for killing civilians :rolleyes:

No mind that each were jailed for bombing offenses and both realeased as part of peace processes....but we'll not yet these similarities get in the way of anti Irish and Irish republican bile

*quite what all this has to do with requesting a public enquiry into britin colluding with its paramilitary helpers in killing innocent Irish people I'm not quite sure....I guess it's the Internet equivilant of sticking your fingers in your ears as you don't wish to hear/see anything which upset what you believe to be true?!

Originally Posted by Fratton Fred
    A pub is a military target? Is a west end restaurant as well?

And your point is what? That the media is biased

A Pub full of military personnel is. No that's an economic target. There was something like 15-20 bombings of restaurants, clubs & hotels bombed in London's West End & very rarely people were killed in them. And there was something like 40+ bombings during the whole campaign.

That's not the whole point but some of it, yes.

IMO the IRA never won the war & only fought to a military stalemate because they were to moderate. Look at Israel's Liberation Struggle (even tho it wasn't their land to liberate) - they were ruthless, they blew up the King David Hotel killing something like 95 people, they hung British officials & they were just barbaric much worse than the Irish Liberation struggle & the British should have recognized this but they let anti-Irish sentiment cloud their perspective.

Ever notice a thread about Loyalist terrorist attacks or Loyalists rioting or protesting & then Fratton Fred & the rest of the Kevin Myers gang make a cheap comment about Republican bombings or shootings even tho the thread has nothing with Republicans?

Imo only I think Fred is a UVF/UFF/LVF supporter, he can't seem to stand them be savaged without making a comment about the IRA/INLA/IPLO to try & make the thread about Republican bombs that killed civilians by mistake. Again just imo.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Fratton Fred
    When?

Is that a joke?

"six months after Bloody Sunday, Lieutenant Colonel Derek Wilford who was directly in charge of 1 Para, the soldiers who went into the Bogside, was awarded the Order of the British Empire by the Queen, while other soldiers were equally decorated with honours for their part on the day."

Is that a joke?

"six months after Bloody Sunday, Lieutenant Colonel Derek Wilford who was directly in charge of 1 Para, the soldiers who went into the Bogside, was awarded the Order of the British Empire by the Queen, while other soldiers were equally decorated with honours for their part on the day."

Source please.

Wilford was awarded an OBE, pretty standard for an officer with his length of service. It had nothing to do with bloody Sunday.

Ever notice a thread about Loyalist terrorist attacks or Loyalists rioting or protesting & then Fratton Fred & the rest of the Kevin Myers gang make a cheap comment about Republican bombings or shootings even tho the thread has nothing with Republicans?

Imo only I think Fred is a UVF/UFF/LVF supporter, he can't seem to stand them be savaged without making a comment about the IRA/INLA/IPLO to try & make the thread about Republican bombs that killed civilians by mistake. Again just imo.

Your opinion is wrong. Hugely.

A Pub full of military personnel is. No that's an economic target. There was something like 15-20 bombings of restaurants, clubs & hotels bombed in London's West End & very rarely people were killed in them. And there was something like 40+ bombings during the whole campaign.

That's not the whole point but some of it, yes

And how many were full of military personnel?

None?

Are Londoners supposed to be grateful the PIRA only killed a handful of people?

And how many were full of military personnel?

None?

Are Londoners supposed to be grateful the PIRA only killed a handful of people?

Talk about clutching at straws.

I don't know maybe Londoners would have preferred every PIRA operation resulted in 34 dead & 300 injured like Dublin & Monaghan 6 months before. Their military was involved in fighting an insurrection I think the PIRA were one of the only guerrilla armies ever to give people warnings before carrying out an operation. They should be angry with their government for provoking a war with the IRA.

Talk about clutching at straws.

I don't know maybe Londoners would have preferred every PIRA operation resulted in 34 dead & 300 injured like Dublin & Monaghan 6 months before. Their military was involved in fighting an insurrection I think the PIRA were one of the only guerrilla armies ever to give people warnings before carrying out an operation. They should be angry with their government for provoking a war with the IRA.

Clutching at straws? Bombing London ok, bombing Dublin bad?

Have you found a source for your claim that soldiers were decorated for their actions on bloody Sunday yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

How many times do we hear this rubbish from a Shinner that if you don't agree with them, you must be a partitionist, unionist, UVF supporter, bigot, loyalist and homophobe all rolled into one?

Really, with the level of tolerance they show for people who disagree with them on internet boards, no wonder the terrorist campaign lasted so long.

Have you found a source for your claim that soldiers were decorated for their actions on bloody Sunday yet?

The ways the were bombings were carried out yes. If the people of Dublin had half an hour to evacuate the bomb sites Talbot Street, Leinster Street & Parnell Street there's a very real possibility nobody would have been killed. Take the Manchester bombing of 1996 as an example of how a warning can save lives, the largest bomb detonated on GB & nobody was killed in it.

The way the Free State media treat the PIRA compared to the "Old Heroic IRA" just stinks of hypocrisy. The PIRA did not start the conflict in the North like the Old IRA. The UVF started bombing Dublin twice in 1969, four years before the PIRA bombed the Old Bailey in London, yet all these facts are conveniently forgotten. So the whole theory that Loyalists got the idea to bomb Dublin because the IRA bombed London first is thrown out the window.

Imo the PIRA were much more justified to take up armed action against the British. The Free State commemorate the killing of two RIC officers at Soloheadbeg by Dan Breen & his mates in Jan 1919. For no reason what so ever, the two RIC men were local members of the community & well liked. I can understand something like Crossbarry being commemorated as that was an actual military battle with the British being lead by Arthur Percival that lasted several hours, not just shooting two RIC men in the back which I just think is sheer depraved hypocrisy to celebrate the deaths of these two men, who weren't even given a warning or a chance to surrender. I agreed with Breen's political goals & aims - the establishment of a 32 county Democratic Republic. I believe it was a noble cause & so did the majority of the electorate in 1918 seem to think so as well, but what a horrible way to go about by shooting 2 police men in cold blood.

I think we could have easily got Free State status without 3,000 people having to die. If Free State status was the goal then not a bullet should have been fired. The Nationalists/Republicans in the North got the worst case scenario by far from the 1922 treaty, it was an absolute disgrace how they were treated by the Northern State & abounded by the Free State whose TD's many voted for & having to face a sectarian police who discriminated against them & were treated like 2nd class citizens by the Unionist government, I'm just surprised it took them so long to revolt against the state but by 1969 they had enough of RUC going into people's houses & beating them (some to death) & the UVF established in 1966 raking Nationalists areas with gunfire. And this wasn't a IRA revolt against the state it was mainly just normal people (a handful might have been Republicans), the IRA didn't get involved until a year later at the Battle of Short Strand in June 1970 when a large Loyalist mob of 1000's tried to attack the Short Strand & burn it just like they did the year before in Bombay Street. And when the IRA successfully defended the area they were hailed as heroes.
    The Unionist government ordered the British Army to search for the weapons used in the battle the week before which resulted in the Falls Curfew Massacre were 5 civilians were killed & dozens injured - that was the turning point, after that significant portions of Nationalist started to give active support to the IRA.

Now a lot of things during the IRA campaign at times fell well short of how a Liberation army should have acted. But in my imo they didn't act any worse than the British Army. And yes, I believe the Loyalists acted the worst of the lot, they killed almost 1000 civilians (compared to the 720 civilians killed jointly by the OIRA, PIRA, INLA & IPLO) about 90% of their attacks being sectarian motivated instead of being politically motivated. I mean there was nothing like UDA romper rooms or UVF Shankill Butchers who got of on torturing & decapitating their victims & then their was nutters like William Craig who said " it may be our job to liquidate the enemy" not stating who the enemy was I'm guessing he just meant Nationalists in general. Then there was George Seawright of the DUP a far right wack job who said that Irish Catholics who refuse to sing the British National Anthem "are just fenian scum who have been indoctrinated by the Catholic Church. Taxpayers' money would be better spent on an incinerator and burning the lot of them. Their priests should be thrown in and burnt as well." Seawright was shot for these comments by the Irish People's Liberation Organization.

I can't remember Republicans leaders saying such inflammatory things about Protestants. In fact Republicans groups had a good few Protestabts in their groups, especially the INLA who had a Protestant - Ronnie Bunting become that paramilitaries second COS after the great Seamus Costello was killed by the OIRA.

There's lots of other examples of hypocrisy I could give but just one last of the top of my Tariq Ali & Charlie Bird (who was one of RTE's most respectable journalists mainly because he stuck to the government line) giving rebellion fist salute at the grave of one of the top Saor Eire Volunteers in October 1971 which by that time Saor Eire were nothing more but gangsters not interested in any Liberation struggle just interested in making (stealing) money.

Godge wrote: »
    How many times do we hear this rubbish from a Shinner that if you don't agree with them, you must be a partitionist, unionist, UVF supporter, bigot, loyalist and homophobe all rolled into one?

Really, with the level of tolerance they show for people who disagree with them on internet boards, no wonder the terrorist campaign lasted so long.

Not much from what I can remember I could be wrong do you have a link to a video where they say this?

I don't agree with everything Sinn Fein says but their the only Left-Wing party in the state that have any sort of realistic chance of getting into government. And being a person of the left who's political views were more shaped by people like Tony Benn & Ken Livingstone rather than people like Martin McGuinness & Gerry Kelly. Which also could be a nice change from the Catholic conservatism that has ruled this state for the last 93 years now I think.

Talking of links Darky, have you found one to back up your claims that British soldiers were given medals for their part in bloody Sunday?

• Advertisement

The ways the were bombings were carried out yes. If the people of Dublin had half an hour to evacuate the bomb sites Talbot Street, Leinster Street & Parnell Street there's a very real possibility nobody would have been killed.

Maybe the phone box wasn't working, or a radio set the bombs off early, or they gave a warning for the wrong city.....

Maybe the phone box wasn't working, or a radio set the bombs off early, or they gave a warning for the wrong city.....
    none of that was the case

none of that was the case

But it was in the case of Warrington, Birmingham, La Mon, Enniskillen etc etc etc

But it was in the case of Warrington, Birmingham, La Mon, Enniskillen etc etc etc
    yes. however in the case of the dublin and monaghan bombs, no warning was given, and no attempt to give a warning was made.

yes. however in the case of the dublin and monaghan bombs, no warning was given, and no attempt to give a warning was made.

But if some went to a phone box, found it out of order and went home, it would have been acceptable?

Tumble weed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

What about a public enquiry into the death of Jean mcconville?

Maybe you missed the UVF statement in 1993 when they said the operation was successful in it's entirety. They didn't mention anything about warnings & with a statement like that I can only come to the conclusion that your a UVF supporter trying to cover for them. The UVF & It's SAS & Brit military allies wanted to sap to political will out of the Free State from the Sunningdale agreement & did just that.

And the difference between Warrington & Birmingham was a warning was given, in the case of Warrington at the wrong place & Birmingham was given a warning with about 5 minutes to evacuate 250 people because the original phone was broke. It does'nt take away from the tragedy of those events but I get the feeling you think there worse than Dublin for some unknown reason.

The Free State & British have time & time again given in to Loyalist terrorism or the threat of it since the moment Bonar Law declared "There are things more powerful than parliamentary majorities."

A quick google search brings up dozens of results.

There was the first link http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jan/04/northernireland.bloodysunday

• Advertisement

A quick google search brings up dozens of results.

There was the first link http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jan/04/northernireland.bloodysunday

That does not back up your statement at all. You should learn to read.

Advertisement