Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Past30Now wrote: »
    Hudson pointed a couple of nice frees, super point from Carthy, and some great finishing from Watson
    Was that Carthy or Martin, was it the point from distance after a nice dummy from number 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

No, the proposal was a green field site or similar identified with the help of NAMA on the outskirts of Dublin for a ~25-30,000 seater. I thought the Thomas Davis/Rovers thing was settled way back in 2007 and happened when it was being built

The site was in Rathcoole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Team for today against DCU

Half time, Dublin 0-6 DCU 1-03.

The midfield of O'Mahony and Carthy are poor, for 30 minutes solid I don't remember recovering possession from a breaking ball or kick out. It's an area I far too often see myself commenting on in the last few years though I know it's only pre-season.

Whelan, McMahon and McMenamin are playing well off each other with some good chances at the net. Costello has had some wild shots from afar costing us a few points. Nice to get a look at the likes of Lowndes and Dawson though the latter has been quiet

A horrible last 10 minutes results in a loss. DCU 3-8, Dublin 0-16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, the wheels kinda fell off there in the last 10 minutes. Oh well, at least the players get to experience something they have probably never seen before. A pissed off Jim Gavin. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really poor last 10, backs got really really isolated and such a stupid thing to do by Flynner, should know better

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really poor last 10, backs got really really isolated and such a stupid thing to do by Flynner, should know better

What did you see? It happened right in front of me and I didn't see a thing. The ref sure did though, straight up to him and a straight red. Guessing he threw a dig?

I think Rory O'Carroll can feel hard done by for the black card. From what I saw it was a 50-50 ball and he went in with the hands and the DCU player came out the victor but was tripped. It was a foul and I expected a yellow. It don't think it was deliberate and that's key here - the refs are using the black card instead of yellows in some situations. It changed our match, Sean George had been replaced already because he wasn't having a fantastic match and he was forced to come back on after O'Carroll was dismissed, leaving us at a disadvantage. Flynner didn't help matters at all either.

In the 20 minutes Daniel Watson was on after replacing Kev he got the ball 3 times (shot twice, one goal mouth wide and one point). The quantity and quality of ball was in the last 20 minutes was very poor.

I hope Jim tears them out of it, they should have had that game sewn up and shored up the defence to stop leaking goals. A bad end to the O'Byrne Cup this year.

At least we've next Sunday's Walsh Cup match to look forward to in the Neller against UCD, who beat Carlow today

I hope Jim tears them out of it, they should have had that game sewn up and shored up the defence to stop leaking goals. A bad end to the O'Byrne Cup this year.

So do I & I think he will. He often talks about character in interviews & of how proud he is of the lads playing for the full 70 plus minutes & never giving up, or lowering the intensity levels. After the AI final, he singled out the league game against Donegal as one of the most important games of the year, as it showed the true grit & work ethic of the team. So I wouldn't like to be in their shoes, if he thinks that any of them took their foot of the gas going into the final quarter, when we were up by 5 or 6 pts.

Not cruising to victory in the O'Byrne Cup, could turn out to be a very good thing for us, if the squad gets a collective kick in the hole in January, that they remember all year long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What did you see? It happened right in front of me and I didn't see a thing. The ref sure did though, straight up to him and a straight red. Guessing he threw a dig?

I think Rory O'Carroll can feel hard done by for the black card. From what I saw it was a 50-50 ball and he went in with the hands and the DCU player came out the victor but was tripped. It was a foul and I expected a yellow. It don't think it was deliberate and that's key here - the refs are using the black card instead of yellows in some situations. It changed our match, Sean George had been replaced already because he wasn't having a fantastic match and he was forced to come back on after O'Carroll was dismissed, leaving us at a disadvantage. Flynner didn't help matters at all either.

In the 20 minutes Daniel Watson was on after replacing Kev he got the ball 3 times (shot twice, one goal mouth wide and one point). The quantity and quality of ball was in the last 20 minutes was very poor.

At least we've next Sunday's Walsh Cup match to look forward to in the Neller against UCD, who beat Carlow today

Yeah was a dig to the ribs,DCU guy didnt make a meal of it but the punch was thrown. Think it was more of a wild swing than anything else but very bery stupid. I am sure worse were thrown during the two pile ups, but still think he deserved to go, you cannot do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Few people around me saw the incident. I didn't but from what they were saying would not be surprised to see action taken

Yeah saw the aftermath but not the incident .... it occurred to me at the time it had to be a serious enough provocation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The player who is in question is unlikely to feature later in the year so wouldn't be surprised to see something come out of it and an example be made

AGC wrote: »
    The player who is in question is unlikely to feature later in the year so wouldn't be surprised to see something come out of it and an example be made

Young chap he'll learn ..

• Advertisement

Feeling thoroughly left out here, wondering if I need to get better glasses for the next match.

Was the player in question on last years panel for the O'Byrne Cup and the league, or is he a new introduction this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone got a Dublin line-up from yesterday?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone got a Dublin line-up from yesterday?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88428943&postcount=54

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Was the player in question on last years panel for the O'Byrne Cup and the league, or is he a new introduction this year?

I didn't see the incident PD, but saw the fallout - I'd be reluctant to call out the player not having witnessed the initial provocation .. cheers

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I didn't see the incident PD, but saw the fallout - I'd be reluctant to call out the player not having witnessed the initial provocation .. cheers

On the off chance that the provocation was sufficient to justify biting?

DoctaDee wrote: »

Don't want you to call out the player boss. The players are entitled to have their good names protected, until something is proven to be true. I was just curious as to whether or not it was one of the new lads, or an older hand. Based on your comment about his being young and he'll learn, I presumed it was one of the newer ones. After all the fuss over the McBrearty allegations last year, I can't see one of the more experienced players letting himself be open to more allegations like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't want you to call out the player boss. The players are entitled to have their good names protected, until something is proven to be true. I was just curious as to whether or not it was one of the new lads, or an older hand. Based on your comment about his being young and he'll learn, I presumed it was one of the newer ones. After all the fuss over the McBrearty allegations last year, I can't see one of the more experienced players letting himself be open to more allegations like these.

Gotta agree with that. The guy shouldn't be named unless and until he is found guilty of something. If no evidence is provided to back up the claim, then it should be left where it finished. I don't for a second condone biting. If guilty he should get a significant ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Stoner wrote: »
    Was that Carthy or Martin, was it the point from distance after a nice dummy from number 9?

I was referring to the Carthy point at the beginning of the second half against Louth. He was the No 9.

Funnily enough, in the DCU game, the withdrawel of Carthy and O'Mahony seemed to make all the difference in the last ten minutes. Neither had been great in the first half, but I thought Carthy was very effective in the second half, and I also thought O'Mahony had his best 20 minutes in a Dublin jersey before he was taken off.

Once they went off, we could seem to get the ball out of our half of the pitch.

Tonight's match in the Walsh Cup is called off as the Neller is waterlogged. Provisionally rescheduled for Tuesday evening at 7:45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin Kerry All Ireland semi final 2013 on TG4 today at 1.30.

I see Bernard's not looking likely to make a league appearance until March at the earliest; he hasn't had a great league the last few years so it's better he minds himself for the championship. On the upside though it appears Alan is out training, I'll be delighted to see him in the jersey again and the sooner the better :)

Any news on the team for tonight's Walsh cup match against UCD?

Would be great to see Alan Brogan back playing, although he'll have his hands full getting back in the Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Tg4 Announce they have the rights to most of the leagues and the semis and finals for this year... not Happy about this i know alot of people who are not great at irish Surely rte would be the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Who cares once you get to see the games ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Tg4 Announce they have the rights to most of the leagues and the semis and finals for this year... not Happy about this i know alot of people who are not great at irish Surely rte would be the best option
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Who cares once you get to see the games ?

Could just go to the games....

RTÉ never show the league. Some of it will be on Setanta as well.

celticbest wrote: »
    Could just go to the games....

Aint always feasable lad.

Aint always feasable lad.

Yeah, but if you can't go then you should just be glad of any league coverage even if you can't listen to the commentary. You could also listen to commentary for live matches on Dub City FM

Small crowd at the game tonight, about 300 I reckon. Can't upload the teamsheet, will do it later

Dublin beat UCD 2-20 to 2-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Dublinfan wrote: »

Are you the same guy who runs that Dublin GAA page on Facebook? He was saying the same thing last night, seems a strange thing to moan about, RTE have never shown the league, plus no one cares about the Irish speakers when September rolls around and the entire Championship has been commentated on in English. It is an Irish sport after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Some people might say that the GAA is a live vibrant part of our native culture while the Irish language is a dead irrelevant part of our past. It's not how I feel but it's how many do. Hence the dissatisfaction of many games being exclusively broadcast live by TG4.

I maybe wrong, but the reason TG4 get to show a lot of live sports is because they buy the native language rights to televise the sport - they did something similar with Rugby world cup and the pro 12 IIRC. So they don't pay the premium wedge to televise but on the other hand they can only commentate in the aul Gaeilge - English commentary (or subtitles) may contravene the agreement.

€40 quid for 4 games and a tenner for the kids - even if you can't make every game it's still good value

• Advertisement

Jason Whelan hit with 8 week ban.

Delighted for him, hope he never pulls on a Dubs shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I'd rather watch the league Game in our native tongue, that I may ad don't speak a word of, then have to try to listen to the TV3 commentators and usually the setantas ones aint much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Sadly i agree with ya. 8 weeks isn't enough either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

8 weeks is very low IMO, a year off would be more appropriate (or 6 months at least).

However, once the year is up and his time is served then I don't see why he couldn't redeem himself and win his place back on the team. He's a talented young lad, and he's made a very silly mistake. Everyone here has done something rash and stupid when they were young, and I don't think we'd like to be judged for the rest of our lives on one heat of the moment incident.

Its scummy, not to mention dangerous, but let him do (proper) time, and have a chance to win his place back IMO.

Jim Gavin will have a chance to see plenty other players throughout the league when Whelan is on the sidelines, so he might not make the panel this year anyway, with the strenght and depth in Dublin atm.

Could be not possible to ban the guy for more than 8 weeks, there's no specific rule for biting so they just have to try and fit it in under something else that might have an upper limit on ban length.

I think the guy should probably get another chance alright but barely. The slightest indiscretion in the future and have him out forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

8 weeks is definitely on the lenient side. It is refreshing to see the reaction of Dublin fans too, biting has no place in the GAA and if a Kildare player did the same I would like to see them dropped off the panel for a year at least.

• Advertisement

It is refreshing to see the reaction of Dublin fans too, biting has no place in the GAA

Did you expect us to close ranks? You can't defend the indefensible and that's exactly what biting is. It's disgusting, dangerous and there is no place for it in any sport. I said it when the allegations came to light last year after Ballybofey, if found guilty the player should be dropped.

I don't want somebody who bites representing my county until he cops himself on and serves an appropriate punishment. 8 weeks is not long enough, it might be what the Leinster CCC thought could make stick or the max they could impose but the Dublin County Board can do a whole lot more and honestly I hope they do. Let him sit out the whole season for club & county and have a think about what madness made him bite an opponent, it's not the Colosseum and he's no gladiator.

If an example has to be made, let it be now. I don't want allegations to dog the team in the coming years because somebody hadn't the stones to discipline players when it started. 3 allegations in 3 years is bad enough, even if only one person has been found guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

For me biting is indefensible.

IMHO he should have got a minimum of a year, an example should have been made to ensure this kind of behaviour does not creep into our game.

If a player in my Club did something like that and it was proven, I would look for that Player to be giving a Lifetime Ban no matter how influential they are on the Pitch.

If in the future the Player looked for a Transfer I would block it on the basis that Biting is unacceptable and a Lifetime Ban was giving by the Club & hope the DCB would stand behind the Club and uphold the Block.

Did you expect us to close ranks? You can't defend the indefensible and that's exactly what biting is. It's disgusting, dangerous and there is no place for it in any sport. I said it when the allegations came to light last year after Ballybofey, if found guilty the player should be dropped.

I don't want somebody who bites representing my county until he cops himself on and serves an appropriate punishment. 8 weeks is not long enough, it might be what the Leinster CCC thought could make stick or the max they could impose but the Dublin County Board can do a whole lot more and honestly I hope they do. Let him sit out the whole season for club & county and have a think about what madness made him bite an opponent, it's not the Colosseum and he's no gladiator.

If an example has to be made, let it be now. I don't want allegations to dog the team in the coming years because somebody hadn't the stones to discipline players when it started. 3 allegations in 3 years is bad enough, even if only one person has been found guilty.

Whatever the findings, I think it's pretty obvious at least two out of the three were guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

8 weeks for biting by an inter-county player sends a terrible message in terms of a deterrent to others to act likewise.

Personally I would have no problem with any player found guilty of biting being given a lifetime ban from the GAA.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    8 weeks for biting by an inter-county player sends a terrible message in terms of a deterrent to others to act likewise.

Personally I would have no problem with any player found guilty of biting being given a lifetime ban from the GAA.

I think the message was sent out loud and clear by those behind the scenes for Dublin who, when the player involved was likely to be in the mix for the Championship panel, fought tooth and nail to keep the charges from sticking in each of the last two years. Laying the blame for not sending out a message at the CCCC's door is pretty unfair.

We all know the incident last season wasn't made up and I doubt too many people will take too long to figure out why McBrearty refused to turn up for the hearing. TBH I almost feel worse that Whelan has been offered up as a sacrificial lamb because he was unlikely to be involved in the summer time anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement