Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Dissappointing result but it was a good workout for the lads. It was a good game, Waterford are a bit down the line compared to us. There wasnt much between the teams, the free count probably was the deciding factor. The goals conceded were junior b stuff, but at least we got a great one ourselves. The game will give a good idea to Donal and Gerry wrt selection decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Watching the match on TG4. I see another beauty of a referee making crazy decisions. Is it the sun or what that's affecting them?:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Watching the match on TG4. I see another beauty of a referee making crazy decisions. Is it the sun or what that's affecting them?:mad::mad::mad:

the ref was terrible but that wasnt the problem in the end , poor second half performance and probably not quick enough to change formation to step someone back to tidy up beside dillon , tom devine was causing all sorts of problems ,

dublin await in the relegation final with there cuala lads back it wont be easy , given how depleted the panel was at the start of the league we are probably making good progress but not fast enough i hope we dont drop back down to that division again , we need to be playing against the top teams all the time

footballers deserve a mention for pushing kildare all the way in newbridge a late point in injury time wining it for the home side , results went there way too as regards relegation as down and fermanagh would both need to win and clare to lose next week for us to go down , hopefully we can kick on after todays performance and spoil meaths promotion push next week

the ref was terrible but that wasnt the problem in the end , poor second half performance and probably not quick enough to change formation to step someone back to tidy up beside dillon , tom devine was causing all sorts of problems ,

I felt we tired a good bit in the 2nd half.
    Waterford are an incredibly difficult team to play against, they pack the backline. When we were fresh in the 1st half we were able to get good ball up the Shanagher and McInerney and pick them apart but that service went downhill as the game went on.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    I felt we tired a good bit in the 2nd half.
    Waterford are an incredibly difficult team to play against, they pack the backline. When we were fresh in the 1st half we were able to get good ball up the Shanagher and McInerney and pick them apart but that service went downhill as the game went on.

they attacked us like a rugby team in the second half in groups of 4s and 5s lining accross the pitch making it hard for layers to pick up oncoming runners , they deserve credit for the way they canceled us out and for some of them scores they got against the win from distance but the goal was soft and killed what ever momentum we had left

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

dublin await in the relegation final with there cuala lads back it wont be easy , given how depleted the panel was at the start of the league we are probably making good progress but not fast enough i hope we dont drop back down to that division again , we need to be playing against the top teams all the time

I hope your not suggesting Clare go back to a dreaded sweeper to counteract waterford. They tried that last year and failed ugly. At least we got a good game today.

they attacked us like a rugby team in the second half in groups of 4s and 5s lining accross the pitch making it hard for layers to pick up oncoming runners , they deserve credit for the way they canceled us out and for some of them scores they got against the win from distance but the goal was soft and killed what ever momentum we had left

I think this was the issue Donal approached the referee at halftime. Waterford were tackling the Clare lads by holding their arms back, as you said cancelling out our support play, which basically is our management's gameplan. The game was played at an open fast pace in the first half, but when it got more psychical we struggled. They were just that bit more cuter than us, they were also excellent at manufacturing those 5/6 more frees that was the difference. Waterford are a good team, no shame in losing to them, the game was very beneficial to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Where will the relegation playoff by played?

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Where will the relegation playoff by played?

coin toss for venue as both teams have played 3 home games , i taught it would be on in dublin as they played us here , but its a coin toss tomorrow with the game fixed for next week as far as i know

• Advertisement

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I hope your not suggesting Clare go back to a dreaded sweeper to counteract waterford. They tried that last year and failed ugly. At least we got a good game today.

deffintly not but if we had an extra man somewhere out the field we should have brought him back to pick up runners late on , it probably wouldnt have made a huge difference anyway our legs nearly gone at that stage it was a game played at a serious pace for most of the game

I think this was the issue Donal approached the referee at halftime. Waterford were tackling the Clare lads by holding their arms back, as you said cancelling out our support play, which basically is our management's gameplan. The game was played at an open fast pace in the first half, but when it got more psychical we struggled. They were just that bit more cuter than us, they were also excellent at manufacturing those 5/6 more frees that was the difference. Waterford are a good team, no shame in losing to them, the game was very beneficial to both teams.

very beneficial , and to be fair for a team in transition i have been happy with how we performed in nearly all our games , the cork game was probably the forgettable one , would prefer to be still involved in the 1/4 finals though and the chance of two or 3 more games rather then just the one against dublin

as regards our psychical side we are still a bit short and we have tried out as many big players as available , we probably will need to come up with a plan B for the championship in this regard but as far as a transition is concerned i would be happy enough ,just hope we avoid the drop now

Yeah it would be very disheartening to be back in D1B. Even though we came 5th we still played some very good huring and there's alot of positives to be taken from our performances.

I think maybe the biggest positive has been Podge, he really seems to be one of the main leaders in the squad and is brilliant form. He is proably averaging 3/4 scores a game now which is very good for a player who does so much tracking back. The goal he got today was special.

1m531i.gif

I thought this was a great team score too.

1m5368.gif

Yeah it would be very disheartening to be back in D1B. Even though we came 5th we still played some very good huring and there's alot of positives to be taken from our performances.

I think maybe the biggest positive has been Podge, he really seems to be one of the main leaders in the squad and is brilliant form. He is proably averaging 3/4 scores a game now which is very good for a player who does so much tracking back. The goal he got today was special.

1m531i.gif

I thought this was a great team score too.

1m5368.gif

the goal was outstanding , looks better from a tv angle then where i was standing today , kellys point was outstanding also , think the wining of the game for waterford was how little space they gave us in the second half , look at the amount of space in midfield for kellys point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be blunt I don't give a sh!te about the league, what I care about is the All Ireland.

I see a massive problem with this team, that being they can get up for big games but area flat for games they feel are "below" them, last year we beat Tipp and KK in the playoffs playing FANTASTIC hurling, then to go flat, this year we give KK a trimming and then do nothing. We shouldn't lose at home, we should beat Dublin, we should beat Limerick.

To be blunt I don't give a sh!te about the league, what I care about is the All Ireland.

I see a massive problem with this team, that being they can get up for big games but area flat for games they feel are "below" them, last year we beat Tipp and KK in the playoffs playing FANTASTIC hurling, then to go flat, this year we give KK a trimming and then do nothing. We shouldn't lose at home, we should beat Dublin, we should beat Limerick.

agreed about the league but to be fair , there is nothing for us to be gained by playing a laois or offaly team trying to avoid relegation or a kerry or antrim or who ever no team is learning from this process , ian galvin jason mccarthy jamie shannahan arron shannaher cathal mac have all had good league campaigns against descent opposition playing these guys in a 15 point win in o'moore park would do nothing for them ,

i dont mean any disrespect to any of the teams mentioned but as you said we are trying to build so we can get back to wining an all ireland most of the counties in division 1B are just trying to survive at the moment and that dose us no favors

clare have always been one of them counties that dont really push on againt teams that we are expected to beat , the wexford game in 2013 and again in 2014 are examples but i put both games one extra time win and an extra time replay defeat down to tactics used on the day , in order to move away from that we need to be far more clinical and we were not in the second half today with a strong wind at our backs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

IMO there should be a 8 team division 1, 4 out of Clare/Dublin/Galway/Limerick/Wexford wouldn't be bad, at a push go for a 10 team Division 1 and add in another team. Why hurling and football has to have the same timetable I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

IMO there should be a 8 team division 1, 4 out of Clare/Dublin/Galway/Limerick/Wexford wouldn't be bad, at a push go for a 10 team Division 1 and add in another team. Why hurling and football has to have the same timetable I'll never know.

And we go back in time 20 years that way. Dead league matches when there are only two teams in contention for a semi final place and two already assured.
    I remember Laois coming into Division 1 and getting hammered every day.

There was a relegation match.. Div 1 bottom vs Div 2 top.. Division 2 top never won.
    The current system is the best there has been, it's competitive and there is a bite to it. Clare took the piss out of the league when Lougnane was in charge. Dummy teams, over trained etc.

The focus should be on investing in improving the bottom teams from Div. 2. Laois are getting more consistent. Offaly now and again show some promise.

http://clubclare.com/articles/11127

Good stats breakdown from Club Clare of the game.

We led the game for 49mins. Mahony was 8/8 with his frees, Kelly was 5/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Figerty wrote: »
    And we go back in time 20 years that way. Dead league matches when there are only two teams in contention for a semi final place and two already assured.
    I remember Laois coming into Division 1 and getting hammered every day.

There was a relegation match.. Div 1 bottom vs Div 2 top.. Division 2 top never won.
    The current system is the best there has been, it's competitive and there is a bite to it. Clare took the piss out of the league when Lougnane was in charge. Dummy teams, over trained etc.

The focus should be on investing in improving the bottom teams from Div. 2. Laois are getting more consistent. Offaly now and again show some promise.

I think the days of teams not taking the league seriously are long gone, despite what Derek McGrath is trying to convince the media.

This current structure is by far the best, there is no other structure that has been used which is better, nor is there any suggestions on making it better. I seriously can't believe there are still people who want to change back to the old system.

So far this year we've already had some fantastic games in both 1A and 1B. For anyone who was interested, 2A and 2B even seemed to have some cracking games. With 6 knockout games, plus huge stakes relegation play offs to come, we're probable only at the halfway point in terms of quality games.

Also it seems Clare have home advantage for the play off, I don't know if it's a home and away agreement or if there was a coin toss but they say on Sunday Sport last night that it's in Ennis.

Should be a close game but home advantage might swing it for Clare. Would ye say ye are any way close to knowing the best 15 yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Malone is lacking in hurling to start I believe. Colm Galvin returning will help.
    League format is great but relegation would be a disaster for this group. We learned alot this year so far.

Django99 wrote: »
    I think the days of teams not taking the league seriously are long gone, despite what Derek McGrath is trying to convince the media.

This current structure is by far the best, there is no other structure that has been used which is better, nor is there any suggestions on making it better. I seriously can't believe there are still people who want to change back to the old system.

So far this year we've already had some fantastic games in both 1A and 1B. For anyone who was interested, 2A and 2B even seemed to have some cracking games. With 6 knockout games, plus huge stakes relegation play offs to come, we're probable only at the halfway point in terms of quality games.

Also it seems Clare have home advantage for the play off, I don't know if it's a home and away agreement or if there was a coin toss but they say on Sunday Sport last night that it's in Ennis.

Should be a close game but home advantage might swing it for Clare. Would ye say ye are any way close to knowing the best 15 yet?

Fully agree, if it was an 8 team league this year, yesterday's game would have been a mid table clash with not much to play for, most likely leading to a challenge match type game. All six teams benefited hugely from the games over the weekend.

For me nailed on starters are David McInerney, Fitzgearld, Cleary, Colm Galvin, Kelly, Podge, Conlon, Conor McGrath, Reidy and Aron Shanagher. That's 10, with Morey and Dillon in the highly likely category, despite the fact there are real concerns about their defending in the full back line. THe last 3 spots will go to a ball winner in the half forward line (Malone likely), a back ( I think Pat O'Connor) and an inside forward where I think Cathal McInerney's performances are beating Shane O'Donnell's. That 15 however would mean 2 of Reidy/Galvin/Kelly at midfield which we know won't work, so there's still a good bit of figuring out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Is Darach Honan in the squad at all this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I believe he was dropped from the panel at the start of the year. Not sure if he has been reinstated. Management maybe feel he doesn't suit their style? I always thought he was a good man to have on the bench as he offers something different to the nippy smallish forwards we have.

Double header in the park next week football at 2 hurling @4

Double header in the park next week football at 2 hurling @4

Sounds like a great day out to me. The footballers I feel will have to get a result, Derry and Cork don't have much to play for so we'll need to get a point to stay safe. I'd like to think the hurlers will have enough to beat Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If Cork beat Down we would be safe.

finbarrk wrote: »
    If Cork beat Down we would be safe.

I think if we finish level on points with 1 team it's down to head to head results, so a draw for Fermanagh and we'll be below them, a draw for Down and we're above them. If Derry win they'll be on the same points as us but we've a better head to head so we'll be above them.

By my reckoning, for us to stay up we want both Fermanagh and Down to draw, or either to lose .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

First trip to Cusack Park on Sunday. Any tips on the best places to park?

• Advertisement

First trip to Cusack Park on Sunday. Any tips on the best places to park?

The County Council are making 200 parking spaces available, very short walk to the Park from there http://www.clare.fm/news/free-match-day-parking-council-offices/

Assuming you're coming from the motorway, take the Tulla exit and go towards Ennis, it should be well signposted. Otherwise, just head into town, there's normally loads of parking around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement