Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Completed Wk4 D1 last night - great to think im close to halfway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lour26

Moman wrote: »
    Completed Wk4 D1 last night - great to think im close to halfway!

Me too, thought the second 5 minute run was going to kill me coz I was kinda going up a hill but felt amazing afterwards :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

Hey all,
    So week 8 d1 down, it went fine, as usual after not having run for a few days i felt like I could have kept goin for a good while, but also gladly stopped after the 28mins. Still finding it hard to believe I got this far, I was saying to the oh last night that I remember when I first started here and there was a few people saying they were on week 8 and week 9 adn I was so envious and thought that I would never get there. Still cant believe I am here.
    For all those of you struggling with weeks 5 and 6, jsut keep fightin adn try to get through, as I keep sayin if I can do it, anyone can. I was always the non athletic type, im overweight, I have big jugs and used teh excuse that I wasnt designed to run, but look at me go now?
    Hang in there and keeep on runnin! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W7D2. Still can't quite believe that I can run for 25 minutes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi guys w8 d2 done I am so proud of myself because I did this run outside all of my long runs have been on a treadmill so feeling really proud of myself that I ran 28 mins outside! Eefums your gas with your big jugs :) shes so right though anyone struggling hang in there I too never was athletic and am over weight hopefully not for too much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Well done elsy! I'm one of those now looking at how far ahead you are and hoping that I'll be able to keep going and someday get there!

W2 D2 finished tonight and looking forward to Friday's run already. :)

Wk4 day2 yesterday, finished it ok
    Still not sure about next weeks 20 min run!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Starting the final week on Monday and haven't had any injuries whatsoever.

Go to play pitch and putt yesterday and I strain a hamstring! That's what I get for not stretching!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Moman wrote: »
    Wk4 day2 yesterday, finished it ok
    Still not sure about next weeks 20 min run!

I felt exactly the same and I did it so don't worry you will be well able for it by that stage :D

Just finished w6d3 very slowly.... it was a struggle but at least I did it :D

W8 d3 done! Was running outside and really enjoying it at the end of the 28 mins I felt good so kept running I completed 5k in 39 mins 32 seconds even tackled a hill when running delighted cause thats almost 5mins off my time at the operation transformation 5k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi everyone, back again.

Going to start W1D1 tomorrow. Just wondering, do you have to have a proper rest day (like no exercise) in between or would it be ok to walk between those days? When I am being good, I like to get a walk in at least 6 out of 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

ah yeah walking on 'rest' days is fine, i have been walking on my rest days and no adverse effects :)

Monife wrote: »
    Hi everyone, back again.

Going to start W1D1 tomorrow. Just wondering, do you have to have a proper rest day (like no exercise) in between or would it be ok to walk between those days? When I am being good, I like to get a walk in at least 6 out of 7 days.

Walking is ok, I do a bit of weights in between and make sure to do more fuller leg stretches

Wk4 complete!
    And can't wait to start next week, still finding each one tough to finish, but realise I'm fine after 15 mins of stopping.

W7D3 this morning. Found it tougher than D1 or D2 but I added in some uphill to try to build my endurance. Was overtaken at one stage by a much shorter woman and I had to laugh as I thought my speed was okay and she didn't look all that fast!:D

As usual, I cannot believe I will be able to go from 25 to 28 minutes but I've felt like that all the way through so won't be negative about it.

W1D1 just finished. As I have never run in my life and am very overweight, it was tough. But I am glad to announce that I finished it, and even did an extra minute run because there was still some way to go before I got home.

Delighted and feel great (although legs are like jelly), 30 minutes of that felt way more productive than an hour walk.

Well done to everyone, can't wait to get where you guys are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Started on week 7 tonight, about 5 days late! Just had a busy week so was actually a little scared to get out and try and do 25 mins again. Got there in the end, despite a stitch in the middle that I thought was going to scupper my chances of finishing but I just slowed down so that I was going super-slow, almost as though it was a just a sort of a bouncy walk :D and then felt fine again after another min or two. Was glad I didn't just give up when I got to the end and realised I had managed 25 mins. Yippee!

Going to try and be more regular with the runs in future -just so that I don't actually fear getting out there again and talk myself into thinking I might not be able to do what I did the last time!

Does anyone else find any kind of mental block post-week5?
    I did the 20 min run and was amazed, but since then I've kept stopping in my runs. Only for 10 seconds - 30seconds, but I want to be just able to keep running all in one go.
    :confused:
    I've done w7d3 tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

elsy wrote: »
    W8 d3 done! Was running outside and really enjoying it at the end of the 28 mins I felt good so kept running I completed 5k in 39 mins 32 seconds even tackled a hill when running delighted cause thats almost 5mins off my time at the operation transformation 5k!

39 mins.....Hating you!!! :D

W6 D3 today, First 25 min run. Did it and delighted with myself as I wasn't even going to go out. 3.9km approx (3.97 on mapmyrun so I round it down a little), I'm quite happy with that as I still feel that I'm running quite slowly so that should help towards my target of a sub-30 5k for the start of the summer and hopefully 25/26 min by mid summer or so. Strange run - felt great at 10 mins, like s*&te at 15 but determined to finish once I hit 20. Finished quite tired at 25 mins but was ready to go again a few mins later!!!
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Does anyone else find any kind of mental block post-week5?
    I did the 20 min run and was amazed, but since then I've kept stopping in my runs. Only for 10 seconds - 30seconds, but I want to be just able to keep running all in one go.
    :confused:
    I've done w7d3 tonight :(

I was like that last week/earlier this week. Took a few seconds out as well during the 2nd 10 min run and had to fight a savage mental battle during the previous days 8 min run. Don't know what it is but a friend said that he had the same problem when he did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There aren't many details available yet, but this might be a good target for some of you coming to the end of your 5k plan.
    There's also a 5k in Portlaoise on the 17th of March, and in Dublin on the 20th.
    There's another 5k in Dublin at the end of May.

RayCun wrote: »
    There aren't many details available yet, but this might be a good target for some of you coming to the end of your 5k plan.
    There's also a 5k in Portlaoise on the 17th of March, and in Dublin on the 20th.
    There's another 5k in Dublin at the end of May.

It's cool there are so many of these, I will have to start enrolling for some of them!
    I have signed up for the March 20th one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I'm going to start C25K tomorrow, I'm about a stone and a half overweight and I'm also a smoker, trying to stop, does anyone have any advice or similar experience? I walk at a fast pace for an hour everyday but am worried that the smokers cough I have will hinder me. I have managed to cut down hugely but the last few are tough to give up at the moment.
    Should I wait until I have managed to kick the habit completely or just start tomorrow anyway? Thanks for you help

clicli wrote: »
    I'm going to start C25K tomorrow, I'm about a stone and a half overweight and I'm also a smoker, trying to stop, does anyone have any advice or similar experience? I walk at a fast pace for an hour everyday but am worried that the smokers cough I have will hinder me. I have managed to cut down hugely but the last few are tough to give up at the moment.
    Should I wait until I have managed to kick the habit completely or just start tomorrow anyway? Thanks for you help

Start right away, my mother smokes like a chimney
    Try to kick the habit as well. Talk to gp if you have any issues doing it

clicli wrote: »

I am 6 stone overweight (well I am 6 stone away from goal in weightwatchers, so I am assuming I am 6 stone overweight, i'm 15stone 10lbs), smoke about 15 a day (and will probably continue until I get to goal as I can't handle too many challenges at once) and have never properly exercised until last November. Started c25k yesterday. Found it hard but managed to complete day 1 and felt great afterwards. Go for it.

W8D1 done this morning- speechless.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Week 6, Day 3 done this morning and it nearly killed me :o I felt great after the 20 minutes on week 5 but this felt like torture and i couldn't wait for the 25th minute. Someone tell me it does get better in week 7 :D

W1D2 finished today. My calves were killing me even on the 1st jog (is that ok?... Had to have a 2 min walk (instead of 90secs) at the 4th run, but did an extra 1 min jog at end to compensate. Reading all about you all being on week 5/6/7, please tell me it gets better?

It does, it gets better.
    Slow down on your run sections, everyone runs too fast at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

monife my lungs used to burst after 30 seconds, i thought i would never do the 1 minute runs! now i can do 20 mins straight.. (supposed to be doing 25 mins but my mind wont let me!) keep at it.. perserve.... it will get easier but watch the speed i used to run SLOWER than my fast walk!

Yeah I have finished w8d1 and am realising I still need to slow down again or I can't run a few mins.
    Take it handy and you'll be grand

• Advertisement

I dont even run fast. Its more of a bouncy walk. I think I just need more stamina which I will hopefully get with time. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

week 9 run 1 done!
    I am on week nine wohooo
    was tough enough last ngith but was a great run all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Hennybug wrote: »
    Week 6, Day 3 done this morning and it nearly killed me :o I felt great after the 20 minutes on week 5 but this felt like torture and i couldn't wait for the 25th minute. Someone tell me it does get better in week 7 :D

week 6 day 3 done yesterday, nearly killed me too:D glad I'm not alone. Like Bluewolf, I'm struggling to get through the runs, taking a short break in the middle too. I can't tell you it gets better in week 7, havent started it yet.

Never knew running was so tough, but definitely worth it, so don't be put off newbies to c25k:D great to get an insight into what it takes to be a top athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm starting week 6 tonight, had a bit of a disaster the past few weeks, went on holidays for a week after finishing week 5, stupidly took the week off, have now ran week 5 another 2 times to get me back to where I was. Looking forward to the challenge though.

week 6 day 3 done yesterday, nearly killed me too:D glad I'm not alone. Like Bluewolf, I'm struggling to get through the runs, taking a short break in the middle too. I can't tell you it gets better in week 7, havent started it yet.

Never knew running was so tough, but definitely worth it, so don't be put off newbies to c25k:D great to get an insight into what it takes to be a top athlete.

I was afraid to stop or i'd never have started again :D Hoping to start week 7 tomorrow morning although i had a tough bootcamp class this morning so i think i'll see how i feel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Monife wrote: »
    W1D2 finished today. My calves were killing me even on the 1st jog (is that ok?... Had to have a 2 min walk (instead of 90secs) at the 4th run, but did an extra 1 min jog at end to compensate. Reading all about you all being on week 5/6/7, please tell me it gets better?

It gets so much easier, once you hit the 3 minute runs you'll be hooked, and it gets so much easier to do, you'll look forward to it. I was in bits for the first few runs, I found that my breathing got much easier and better but my legs took longer to get used to it. Then again I've about 5 stone too much on me, which probably takes it's toll, but got through W6D1 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

So I injured myself last Thursday and I haven't ran since. Feeling fully recovered today so should I continue the program I'm on or should I try to repeat the run I did on Thursday (I didn't injure myself during the run btw, and I did it just fine)

Want to do the 5k next week in Dublin so don't want to fall behind as I'm on target to finish the program next Wedenesday if I continue the program. I guess I'm a bit worried that a break of nearly a week will have harmed my preperation which would be quite annoying after going for so long and then getting injured so close to the event :(

You should be fine to continue where you were - but you're so close to the end of the programme anyway that even if you repeated a couple of sessions you'd be fine for the race.

Week 7 started this morning, it was a relief to find it the 25 minutes doesn't increase this week - still waiting to get back to the "i'm enjoying this" feeling but am going to persevere to the bitter end :D

Week 9 d1 complete cant believe im on the last week :)

• Advertisement

Finished W1D3 this morning. Did on the treadmill in my mams house and it was actually a bit easier, why do you think that is?

Wont be doing it on treadmill again though as she lives ages away. Nervous but looking forward to week 2 on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Oh dear, I had one of those hard days today - still, got through W3D2. I figured out I haven't had a proper rest day since Tuesday last week so no wonder I'm wrecked! I'm prescribing a good night off on Friday as I'm heading to see The Script in O2 and will finish W3 on Saturday morning :).

w8d2 sorta done though mostly it was just a 20min run. still happy though

Went out to try week 7 day 3 tonight. The first 2 runs this week went fine so I was expecting tonight's run to be no different. Unfortunately it was awful - about half way through I had to stop, then was stopping and starting for the whole rest of the time. I think there were various factors at work, time of day, food and water, tiredness etc...but I came home in bad humour and was berating myself - until I realised I was berating myself for having run 'only' 2 km!! Who is this person?? :eek: A few weeks ago 2km was unthinkable. So my attitude from now on is that a bad run is still a run and better than staying at home in front of the telly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 contentworks

Went out to try week 7 day 3 tonight. The first 2 runs this week went fine so I was expecting tonight's run to be no different. Unfortunately it was awful - about half way through I had to stop, then was stopping and starting for the whole rest of the time. I think there were various factors at work, time of day, food and water, tiredness etc...but I came home in bad humour and was berating myself - until I realised I was berating myself for having run 'only' 2 km!! Who is this person?? :eek: A few weeks ago 2km was unthinkable. So my attitude from now on is that a bad run is still a run and better than staying at home in front of the telly :D

I agree. went out for week 7 day 1 this morning; it was going well until I turned back into a gale force wind. reduced to a walk three times, really annoyed until I realised what I was annoyed about! It's all good. Signed up for a 5k run March 20th. First one ever!

I agree. went out for week 7 day 1 this morning; it was going well until I turned back into a gale force wind. reduced to a walk three times, really annoyed until I realised what I was annoyed about! It's all good. Signed up for a 5k run March 20th. First one ever!

I'll see you there if its the one in dub!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll see you there if its the one in dub!!

Are many on here doing this run? I'm tempted since i'm up for the match the day before but i think i'll wait and see on the day rather than committing now :)

Hennybug wrote: »
    Are many on here doing this run? I'm tempted since i'm up for the match the day before but i think i'll wait and see on the day rather than committing now :)

I'm also signed up for it and it will also be my first 5k. Eek! Still, once I signed up I told everyone I know, knowing that then I would have to stick to the programme and complete it :D Will have just finished week 8 when the race rolls around so I hope some sort of adrenaline rush on the day will see me through the last little bit! Really hope I make it to the end - any time I felt like giving up on a run over the past 7 weeks I would tell myself that it would feel great to finish the run on 20 May and know that I had worked for and achieved my goal :D Timing be damned, I just wanna make it over the finish line without keeling over!

I'm also signed up for it and it will also be my first 5k. Eek! Still, once I signed up I told everyone I know, knowing that then I would have to stick to the programme and complete it :D Will have just finished week 8 when the race rolls around so I hope some sort of adrenaline rush on the day will see me through the last little bit! Really hope I make it to the end - any time I felt like giving up on a run over the past 7 weeks I would tell myself that it would feel great to finish the run on 20 May and know that I had worked for and achieved my goal :D Timing be damned, I just wanna make it over the finish line without keeling over!

It'd be mine as well and i'd have (hopefully) finished week 8 as well so we'd be in the same boat :D I reckon in a race though you would get the last few ounces of energy to make it to the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Started this last night, really looking forward to the challenge. Love the fact that it is only 20-30 minutes per night.. No excuse not to fit it in.

Have you guys who are on the week 8/9 lost much weight with the program?

Advertisement