Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Just the perfect job,

p p p p pickup a penguin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Just the perfect job,

p p p p pickup a penguin. :D

Why are penguins such good racing drivers?

They are always in pole position
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Ahem :o
    https://twitter.com/EdinburghZoo/status/1031502888969924608
    "We're sure this will come as a disappointment to many but there is no such position here at Edinburgh Zoo"

does that mean they just leave the penguins lying on their backs?
    Because I heard this was a problem 20 years ago, and I was delighted to hear they had employed someone to 'right' the penguins after every low flight over the zoo...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Penguins are surely well able to right themselves. If they weren't they'd have become extinct a long time ago!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

does that mean they just leave the penguins lying on their backs?
    Because I heard this was a problem 20 years ago, and I was delighted to hear they had employed someone to 'right' the penguins after every low flight over the zoo...

I think the problem now is even worse than 20 years ago, considering the exponential increase in the number of flights. I blame the cutbacks. :(

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I think the problem now is even worse than 20 years ago, considering the exponential increase in the number of flights. I blame the cutbacks. :(
    They fit them with spring loaded backpacks these days :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh that's good news!! I was thinking they might have to prop them up together in groups of three, back to back, to stop them from falling over (like a tripod) but then each of them would want to go in a different direction, and where would we be?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

but then each of them would want to go in a different direction, and where would we be?!
    Just put them on the South Pole and it'll be grand. It's all north from there.

cdeb wrote: »
    Just put them on the South Pole and it'll be grand. It's all north from there.

Ah, genius! You can tell you play chess!

It's many the time I've had to factor in the directional properties of penguins on the poles* while working through a tactic alright. :)

* - penguins are only found in the Antarctic, not the Arctic, of course, but chess requires flexibility of thought...

• Advertisement

* - penguins are only found in the Antarctic, not the Arctic, of course

The former part of your sentence isn't entirely correct (it depends on the species); the latter, though, is. :D

Well considering we were talking about locations where every direction was the same, I figured we were only talking about the North or the South Pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Penguin's also reside in Africa and South America.

To here with you!

(Except I did know that...)

tenor.gif

egv2ps.jpg
    If they're cheapo Chinese ones, beware that your plate doesen't slide off the edge!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tabnabs wrote: »

Top Tip
    You can save time by only flossing the ones you want to keep :pac:

Seriously interdentals are better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's many the time I've had to factor in the directional properties of penguins on the poles* while working through a tactic alright. :)

* - penguins are only found in the Antarctic, not the Arctic, of course, but chess requires flexibility of thought...
    Auks would fill a niche similar in the Arctic. The Great auk was even flightless.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Penguin's also reside in Africa and South America.
    And New Zealand and the Galapagos Islands which are in the northern hemisphere. near the equator. :o

Auks would fill a niche similar in the Arctic. The Great auk was even flightless.

And New Zealand and the Galapagos Islands which are in the northern hemisphere.
    You're holding the globe upside down! :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107926278&postcount=2321
    I sure hope they don't make the same mistake they did with the Hubble telescope, one of the mounting legs was 1mm out and it screwed up the focus, they had to send out a repair crew to fit a correcting lens.

• Advertisement

Yep, I remember at the time they had to "give it glasses" :). Wasn't there a mix-up with the measurements (metric vs. imperial, as always)?

They'd probably give it contact lenses, nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Here's a what-if (by xkcd) that shows in a cartoon form what what the Hubble would see if pointed at the earth
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/32/

Yep, I remember at the time they had to "give it glasses" :). Wasn't there a mix-up with the measurements (metric vs. imperial, as always)?

They'd probably give it contact lenses, nowadays.
    from what I read, the error was so huge that assumed that it was a fault with the calibration system and "factored it in" and carried on regardless.
    Where in fact the error was an entire unit out, Can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like 1mm out on one leg, this was a time when they were working to tolerances of 0.001mm.(or imperial equivalent)

KAGY wrote: »
    Here's a what-if (by xkcd) that shows in a cartoon form what what the Hubble would see if pointed at the earth
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/32/
    Legend has it that when NASA gave a briefing for bids for a 100 inch mirror for Hubble the usual manufacturers told them it was impossible to setup for a single mirror on the budget and timescale.

The following day they got a call that went something like "you wouldn't be interested in a 95 inch mirror would you ?" implying that they were alrady setup for big telescopes for the KH spy satellites.

And yes the space shuttle was that big just so it could carry the spy satellites, so Hubble fitted right in.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Okay posters.

YLYL 8 is fast approaching the 10K post limit which means we will be very shortly opening YLYL 9.

We have decided to leave it up to you very witty posters to come up with a name for the thread.

I will add suggestions to a separate thread with a pole.
    The name with the most votes will be the name of YLYL 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

YLYL 9 - Who's laughing now!?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

YLYL9: "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

YLYL 9 - So Vegan I forgot to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

YLYL 9 - Just Wait for 11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement