Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Littlefinger is a proper c**t but I really hope we see a lot more of him in the next series and begin to see his plans unfold, one of the best characters IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

My complaint about Cersei's scene being too long was mainly because it seems like a lot of other scenes were curtailed to accommodate the length of it (although the nonsense in Meereen could have been cut in half too, or left out entirely). The whole season has been building up to this confrontation between Stannis and the Boltons, and it all basically ends up happening off screen? I mean, we don't even properly see Stannis die. I liked that we saw Cersei become gradually more humiliated, but did we really need to see every last person on the street shout some variation of "whore" at her? And I swear, if I hear the word "SHAME" again, I'll go mad. :pac:

Also, is the Mountain basically indestructible now as her personal bodyguard? She's probably going to use him against the Sparrows at some point, probably that nun that walked her down the street.

I think he's trying to teach her a lesson about killing people she's not supposed to kill. I don't really understand what the point of Arya's character is if she's not really Arya though. Being one of the only surviving Stark children and wanting to avenge her family is why she's interesting in the first place and worth rooting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Tbh, if Jon is dead and not coming back it'll be pretty weak. It's one thing to kill someone off for the sake of developing the story, but after 5 seasons of the wall and castle black, there would be literally nothing of interest left up there if Jon is gone.

It also means I couldn't give fcuk what happens to Winterfell now that Sansa appears to have made her escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Ah Fcuk that, I'm rooting for the White Walkers now. Westoros ain't worth saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,113 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought Littlefinger would sweep in with the Knights of the Vale but the Boltons aren't even weakened after that battle since it was so one-sided.

Not sure what his play is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Essien wrote: »
    Tbh, if Jon is dead and not coming back it'll be pretty weak. It's one thing to kill someone off for the sake of developing the story, but after 5 seasons of the wall and castle black, there would be literally nothing of interest left up there if Jon is gone.

Jon will almost certainly be brought back to life by the Lord of Light .
    As you say ,there will be no point of focus for The Wall if he is dead and that will obviously be a key area with the imminent white walkers attack.

So many deaths this week ,yet Ramsey Bolton lives on .
    There is no justice in this show.

Jon will almost certainly be brought back to life by the Lord of Light .
    As you say ,there will be no point of focus for The Wall if he is dead and that will obviously be a key area with the imminent white walkers attack.

So many deaths this week ,yet Ramsey Bolton lives on .
    There is no justice in this show.

At least Ramsey is somewhat interesting. Bringing back non-characters like the Mountain (who is somehow in even less of a speaking role than before) and killing off the interesting characters who actually make the show worth investing in is just bizarre, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Wow...in shock after that ending:(

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho1_540.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho3_1280.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho4_1280.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho5_1280.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho2_1280.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Terrible episode tbh.

Everything was so rushed with no build up. Yes, loads of major stuff happened but they all happened in less than 5 minute scenes, there was little or no drama. Other than the Cersei scene, everything was just crammed together so they could wrap up the season. You could have made at least 3 episodes out of what happened least night.

We would have got more drama from a newscaster just reading out the days headlines "In our top stories tonight: Stannis went to war and died, Sansa and Reek jumped off a wall, Arya killed a dude and went blind, Myrcella died, Daenerys gets kidnapped, Cersei is slut shamed and in other news, in the most obvious setup from a disgruntled 12 year old 5 episodes in the making, Jon Snow was stabbed to death. Now over to Jon with the weather....Winter is coming"

Also, why did the Night's Watch let Jon Snow and the Wildlings in through the wall just to kill him the next day? Surely if they were that pissed off at Jon Snow for trying to bring the Wildlings in, they would have prevented them from entering in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

He was the fella who killed her swordplay instructor if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

maybe its a mind ****, but its too show that the human races is horrible from the peasants to the lords. The white walkers kill everyone, go back into the ground.

Westeros is finally at peace.

tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho1_540.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho3_1280.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho4_1280.gif
    tumblr_npyywioiF21qc9j6ho5_1280.gif

It's like buses, two come along together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They are both no-one is the point of the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Stannis and his army just stood their like idiots instead of getting into formation while the Boltons charged. Would have been nice to see more of the battle, again it felt rushed.
    Best scene of the episode for me; almost a shared sense of the impending massacre that was about to befall Stannis army clan between the viewer and the soldiers - truly terrifying to see the sight of the Bolton army on horseback advancing at speed over the ridge, outflanking and outnumbering Stannis and co who were preparing for a siege remember; they had only seconds to get ready. Enjoyed those few seconds more than the entirety of the battle at Hardhome - Got is at its best when it gives us scenes like the battle last night, creating an incredibly tense atmosphere such that there wasn't even any need to show the actual battle - that shot of the Bolton army and Stannis yielding his sword said more than a half hour battle scene could have - Similar to how the two best Jon Snow scenes of the season were the endings of both the season premier and the finale, not the scenes at Hardhome.
    PressRun wrote: »
    And I wasn't really impressed by the fact that Theon just suddenly snaps out of his trance and submissive state to Ramsey in order to save Sansa.
    We've seen throughout the season how Theon perhaps was tempted at times to turn the tables on his master, but every time we have been let down - what was different I think about last night is what the common girl with the arrow specifically said to Sansa - "Ramsay is going to take your parts etc." - Theon can relate to this having been castrated by Ramsay and perhaps this was the moment where he finally realized what has been done to him, by the possibility of it being done to Sansa.
    At least Ramsey is somewhat interesting. Bringing back non-characters like the Mountain (who is somehow in even less of a speaking role than before) and killing off the interesting characters who actually make the show worth investing in is just bizarre, tbh.
    Is Ramsay interesting really though? Entertaining in a perverse kind of way but even torture gets tiresome after a while - the guy is not a patch on his father imo, and it's getting really annoying how it's all about him and not Roose - hopefully that swings around next season.

I had assumed the girl was still there but off camera and Jagen had just rematerialised with his fiendish Jedi master sorcery skills. Then again ,with me and GOT and, indeed, life in general I could well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

chasmcb wrote: »
    I had assumed the girl was still there but off camera and Jagen had just rematerialised with his fiendish Jedi master sorcery skills. Then again ,with me and GOT and, indeed, life in general I could well be wrong.

There's no rematerialising. Life paid for life and that guy died. Another guy then talked to Arya. There is no Jaqen, he's no-one. The girl is also no-one.

K4t wrote: »
    We've seen throughout the season how Theon perhaps was tempted at times to turn the tables on his master, but every time we have been let down - what was different I think about last night is what the common girl with the arrow specifically said to Sansa - "Ramsay is going to take your parts etc." - Theon can relate to this having been castrated by Ramsay and perhaps this was the moment where he finally realized what has been done to him, by the possibility of it being done to Sansa.

Is Ramsay interesting really though? Entertaining in a perverse kind of way but even torture gets tiresome after a while - the guy is not a patch on his father imo, and it's getting really annoying how it's all about him and not Roose - hopefully that swings around next season.

I still don't really buy Theon just snapping out of it, tbh. I think it would have been much better for Sansa's character development if she'd gotten herself out of that situation on her own anyway. I was concerned at the beginning of the whole Ramsey/Sansa situation that it was all just one big set-up for Theon to make an attempt at redeeming himself rather than Sansa learning how to help herself. I'm sick of Theon anyway.

Ramsey is definitely more interesting than the Mountain. Although, I still think an opportunity was really missed with Ramsey to make his character a bit more interesting by making his relationship with Sansa more uncertain than it actually was. Rather than making him just an outright sociopath who regularly brutalizes her and treats her with contempt, perhaps having a little bit of ambiguity in their relationship, where it was uncertain how he really felt about her, might have made him a bit more intriguing and nuanced.

Ramsey is definitely more interesting than the Mountain. Although, I still think an opportunity was really missed with Ramsey to make his character a bit more interesting by making his relationship with Sansa more uncertain than it actually was. Rather than making him just an outright sociopath who regularly brutalizes her and treats her with contempt, perhaps having a little bit of ambiguity in their relationship, where it was uncertain how he really felt about her, might have made him a bit more intriguing and nuanced.

That is a good point. Sansa wasn't just a "bit of rough" who he could casually terrorise, she is a Stark who can help his family win the allegiance of the North. So it was kinda illogical for him to start treating her exactly just like a "bit of rough" from the get go. His dad maybe just as sadistic but is more politically canny. But I think we have to accept Ramsey is an out and out, irredeemable sadistic bastard. Here's hoping he gets the kind of horrible end that the damn series keeps dishing out to all the fecking good guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,113 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Two cool foreshadowing videos...

And also one that doesn't fill me with hope that Melisandre will be able to bring Jon back...

She seems surprised by Thoros' ability to resurrect Beric.

"That's not possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Were all those horsemen that suddenly showed up on behalf of the Boltons deserters from Stannis' army? I was a little confused as to where they all came from.
    I'm pretty sure that Winterfell had a severe food shortage, impressive that they managed to feed and care for 300+ horses and never got tempted to eat any of them.

Speaking of hundreds of horses out of nowhere, how did Daenrys not see them coming? and I think her dropping the ring is meant to be a clue, Jorah will find it when he searches for her (just like the hobbits dropped their brooches in the Two Towers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

that was quite some candle to be visible in daylight about a mile away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

PressRun wrote:
    So, who is left to root for?

Cersi, I'd defo root Cersi.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

So, who is left to root for?

Sam! Sam gonna be a measter(?), I thought that was pretty cool. Think it suits him.

those (wont say there name cause i cant spoiler tag) horse ridin cowboy fellas look interesting aswell, hopefully they can spice things up for danys storyline.
    nc19 wrote: »
    Cersi, I'd defo root Cersi.........

yeah. she is gonna be a raging bitch next season, that should be fun.

kinda glad that season is done now and that the next will come back better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Thought the Cersei scene was well done- disagree with those saying was too long- needed to be to show the torment she went through on the way to the Castle
    The Mountain was known was "Lannister's Wild Dog"- now he is a trained dog, arguably making him more dangerous
    It was well done, however I just timed it, 13 minutes from first scene of her in the prison cell until she gets carried off stage right. The whole show was only 56 or 57 minutes long. She's a great central scheming character you love to hate, but they spent too fcuking long on her.

Yeah, they had to have a hook to get people wondering if x,y and z were really dead or not and watch the show again next season but overall it felt like the producers/writers/GRRM had a meeting and someone said "we've been putting off a cull for too long, write the fcukers out"

Apparently, she dropped the ring so that next season, they'll know the general direction she was taken... If that happens, it's taking coincidence a million miles too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Shame they crammed in several deaths and a battle into the last episode of the season, but it wasn't like they could sacrifice those vital hours of Arya washing stuff, so hard to complain too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Is this not potentially part of the process of Arya changing her face

that is, we will be seeing a "new Arya" in Season 6???

The faceless man said as much, for anyone who still has an identity the faces are like 'poison' he told her.

I was thinking as I watched the Cerci scene was going on a bit but dammit if I wasn't actually sorry for her by the time it was over.

Wasn't expecting Stannis just to go and march into certain death, I wonder if he is actually dead at all, even after last week i felt sorry for him this week, everyone abandoning him and he cant even allow himself to give up.

The Jon was a great cliffhanger, but I think with the Red Witch confirmed at Castle Black then I think some of the speculation is right on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Lyssa wrote: »
    I can't believe that ending..... Fcuk :(

I'm pinning my hopes on Melisandre resurrecting him! God I hate Ser Alliser!

Poor Jon, he shot out of his chair thinking he could find Benjen. How cruel is that? :(

Advertisement