Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enda wins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

That makes up my mind - no way will I be voting for a patry that is this incompetent and delusional - clearly the reason he won is due to alot of the TD's who are not ambitious and don't want to be in power as they will then be blamed for decisions. Even leaving Bruton aside, the dogs in the street know Enda is no longer fit to lead the party but they have just shown that the public don't matter and it's all about loyalty.

I hope that Leo, Hayes, Coveny and obviously Bruton etc refuse to go back on the front bench - resulting in the continuation of falling poll ratings as frankly the party do not deserve to be rise after such a ridiculous decision. They have yet again made Gilmore more attractive to the public and no doubt giving the Govt further amunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I really don't know what to do if there's an election tomorrow.

I absolutely refuse to vote for Fianna Fáil.
    I will not vote for Fine Gael so long as Enda is leader.
    I agree with Labour's social policies but their Economic policies are non-existant.
    SF are laughable.
    Greens are traitors to democracy.
    Hard Left are way too extreme.

Where are the PDs when we really need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Hmm..... at the same time I've never seen a better moment for a decent political party to emerge from all of this madness.

Ireland is crying out for a decent political party and hopefully the days of FF and FG are now over. The fact that FG could not take advantage of the current shambolic state of FF proves that they are not up to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    I really don't know what to do if there's an election tomorrow.

I absolutely refuse to vote for Fianna Fáil.
    I will not vote for Fine Gael so long as Enda is leader.
    I agree with Labour's social policies but their Economic policies are non-existant.
    SF are laughable.
    Greens are traitors to democracy.
    Hard Left are way too extreme.

Where are the PDs when we really need them?

this is hilarious. the PD's?? They are basically Fianna Fail. Right wing banker lovers. Get real man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I think the results show that Enda Kenny has far more balls than anyone gives him credit for. Richard Bruton on the other hand has come out of this very badly, the timing was absolutely stupid and that judgement is not an indication of someone who would be a credible leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I hope the next opinion poll asks some questions about all this.

Something like "Who would you prefer as Fine Gael leader - Kenny or Bruton?" or "Would you be more likely to vote for Fine Gael with Bruton as leader?"

The results of that would be interesting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I think the results show that Enda Kenny has far more balls than anyone gives him credit for. Richard Bruton on the other hand has come out of this very badly, the timing was absolutely stupid and that judgement is not an indication of someone who would be a credible leader.

I disagree. I think it might show he was able to make better promises and deals.
    Its just as speculative to be honest as having better "balls".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

This is an absolutely dreadful result for Irish politics, IMO. FG's chances to make gains in Dublin are effectively dead as of today, and they continue to be led by a man in whom the Irish people place little to no faith - and even less than they used to.

A divided party led by a dead leader walking can not act as an effective opposition to an exhausted and inept Fianna Fail government. As for Labour? I for one do not want to see the political wing of the public sector unions gain a large measure of power or prominence at a time when we desperately need to bring efficiency and cost-consciousness to the public sector.

I second the calls for Bruton and his followers to break away and form a new party. We need such a party now more than we ever did. Indeed, there are parallels between the current situation and that of 1986, when the PDs were founded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

NickDrake wrote: »
    this is hilarious. the PD's?? They are basically Fianna Fail. Right wing banker lovers. Get real man

the PD's are history thankfully. Even though Irish politics is a joke, its better off without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

This outcome just goes to show that Enda Kenny is not the only thing that is wrong with FG. If a majority of the party still believe that Enda Kenny is electable as leader of this country, then there is obviously a defective mentality running right through the parlimentary party. TD's who voted for Kenny are very obviously completely removed from their consituency...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Well done Enda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

yop wrote: »
    will George GLee come back with Bruton?

Bruton is the reason George Lee left. He said in an interview that Bruton never once asked him his opinion and he spoke to him once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

I agree with all the posts above, there is not a single party that I could vote for from the present bunch. I for one will be emailing Bruton, and cc'ing my local FG senator (Kenny camp) to encourage a split. This confirms for me that at the next election all I can vote for is some looney "save the snails" type or a new political force.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

samsemtex wrote: »
    Bruton is the reason George Lee left. He said in an interview that Bruton never once asked him his opinion and he spoke to him once.

plus he has resigned from the Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

jcollery wrote: »
    I agree with all the posts above, there is not a single party that I could vote for from the present bunch. I for one will be emailing Bruton, and cc'ing my local FG senator (Kenny camp) to encourage a split. This confirms for me that at the next election all I can vote for is some looney "save the snails" type or a new political force.

Will be doing the same myself. Richard.Bruton@finegael.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

IrishTonyO wrote: »

What this shows is that Enda is an egotistical selfish fool who has no cop on at all. For ages now it has been obvious that FG is being held back by his poor public perception. Instead of realising this and standing aside for the betterment of the party he has helped to ensure that an awful lot of people who could have voted for them will not now.

I had decided to give them a first preference but I am now no longer going to do this and I would say I am not the only one. So not only have they lost the opportunity to swing voters they have lost those like me who had already decided to switch their allegiances. (I have voted Labour solidly since I got the chance to vote for 20 years now in case any one thinks I have ever voted for the Developers party!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

I think we are seeing the real leadership abilities and political astuteness of Enda Kenny over the past week. He certainly has the metal to take on Cowen. I think a lot of people will have a lot more respect for EK now. He managed a very difficult situation as cool as a breeze, he was unflappable when his world was falling around him. he is a very experienced politician and has put manners on the young inexperienced pups trying to backstab him. I have regained faith in the FG party now as EK was not pushed out. it was a dispicable coup which back fired in their faces. Richard Brutons timing for this was very bad political judgement at a time when the bloody sunday report came out a very very momentus time in our history. RB tried to take the limelight away from this significant time in our history. It was well known this bloody sunday report was coming out. he has proved his bad political judgement as well as his inability to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jesus Christ you would swear with all the wailing going on around here that Bruton is the saviour of Ireland, something of a cross between Moses, Obama, Roosevelt and Churchill.

Are we that desperate that we now see Bruton and the other gombeens that are/were on FG frontbench (Coveney, Hayes especially) as some ones that will save us ?

FFS more worrying should be the fact that yesterday, if anyone could take their eyes off this bloody ****ology, the top brass of Anglo marched arrogantly and smugly into the Dáil and said affectively 22 billion is down the swanee.
    Also remember the good folks that gave them that taxpayers money are still in power and probably will be for the next two years.

It would not matter one jot if Obama was leading FG, the only ones that can get them to budge out of the government benches is us, the ordinary voters and citizens of this country.

The other thing is that most people around here do not appear to see how this will surely pan out and that Kenny is now gone anyway.

This result just means that the giggling socially inept political lightweight Bruton is hurt and a compromise candidate will surface.

Sooner of later within the next 6 months FG will have a new leader and it won't be either of them.
    Any bets of Bruton being back in Finance role after that ?

Jsut hope it is not that spanner Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

deisedol wrote: »
    I think we are seeing the real leadership abilities and political astuteness of Enda Kenny over the past week.

Yeah, shame it only took 8 years to see those abilities :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dont know how to feel . .

On one hand I am yet to be convinced by Kenny (not sure I ever will). On another Bruton wasnt exactly getting the heart racing over the last few days with his canvassing . .

I like Bruton, but perhaps he would be better as a minister for Finance. Leo Veradker (while young) comes across as bullish and well able to hold his own . . He has grown into politics and if he could maintain his media profile while at the top, he would be a very young credible leader IMO. .

Enda has to show some balls now . . He didnt show balls by not quitting . . Most of his supporters spoke of loyalty and how he is a nice guy . . I am sorry but these are not vital traits associated with the leader of countries. Honorable, yes and welcome, but they are not the most important traits in a leader. .

One basic requirement is to be able to know your stuff (not need an earpiece telling your what to say) . .

Another is being able to grab the attention and belief of the public . . Cannot say Kenny has done that thus far . .

Another is being able to make tough decisions. In defence of Kenny the only tough ones have been in his own party so its hard to judge. .

What annoys me about the Kenny camp isnt that they defend him, its that the reasons they give for defending him is more about the party, then portraying him as a credible leader . . (by that I mean he has done them personally well, so screw whatever opinion polls think!). .

This is only round won . . How will his new front bench look? Will the Bruton supporters accept Kenny as leader ?

Kennys biggest challenge is to reunite the party . . It could be the making or the end of him . . We need to see the new Kenny we were promised after Lee winced out . .

He may of won the battle, but Im not so sure he will win the war . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good call on emailing Bruton and a the local representatives. I'm also goign to be email Enda and his supporters expressing my disappointment at his failure to step aside for the good of the country and at the idiotic action of continuing to back him when it's clear that the public want nothing to do with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

deisedol wrote: »
    I think we are seeing the real leadership abilities and political astuteness of Enda Kenny over the past week. He certainly has the metal to take on Cowen. I think a lot of people will have a lot more respect for EK now. He managed a very difficult situation as cool as a breeze, he was unflappable when his world was falling around him. he is a very experienced politician and has put manners on the young inexperienced pups trying to backstab him. I have regained faith in the FG party now as EK was not pushed out. it was a dispicable coup which back fired in their faces. Richard Brutons timing for this was very bad political judgement at a time when the bloody sunday report came out a very very momentus time in our history. RB tried to take the limelight away from this significant time in our history. It was well known this bloody sunday report was coming out. he has proved his bad political judgement as well as his inability to count.

So why is the party doing so poorly in the polls then??? Moreover, why isn't he taoiseacht?!? Because people see through him for the gobshyte that he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Glad Enda Kenny won, I have a lot of respect for him and I still believe he will make a good Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

gandalf wrote: »
    What this shows is that Enda is an egotistical selfish fool who has no cop on at all. For ages now it has been obvious that FG is being held back by his poor public perception. Instead of realising this and standing aside for the betterment of the party he has helped to ensure that an awful lot of people who could have voted for them will not now.

I had decided to give them a first preference but I am now no longer going to do this and I would say I am not the only one. So not only have they lost the opportunity to swing voters they have lost those like me who had already decided to switch their allegiances. (I have voted Labour solidly since I got the chance to vote for 20 years now in case any one thinks I have ever voted for the Developers party!).

Well I am the opposite, before I didn't consider voting Fine Gael however after this I do see myself voting for them, so swings and roundabouts I reckon. And like you saw I am sure there are plenty of others like me

"The people in the west have proved that we are as good and better than the rest"

Who the fcuk am I going to vote for... I'm honestly stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Good call on emailing Bruton and a the local representatives. I'm also goign to be email Enda and his supporters expressing my disappointment at his failure to step aside for the good of the country and at the idiotic action of continuing to back him when it's clear that the public want nothing to do with him.

The minute someone challenges the leader he should step aside?

Even though the majority support him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

yop wrote: »
    will George GLee come back with Bruton?
    snip

That man should never show his face in politics again after what he did to his electorate.

He's a disgrace. (George I'm talking about...)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Drumpot wrote: »
    Most of his supporters spoke of loyalty and how he is a nice guy . . I am sorry but these are not vital traits associated with the leader of countries. Honorable, yes and welcome, but they are not the most important traits in a leader. .

Well maybe they should be.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    One basic requirement is to be able to know your stuff (not need an earpiece telling your what to say)...

Worked out OK for George W Bush and Ronald Reagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Is it true that the head of Mayo CC said this was a D4 coup? That's just embarassing, FG are bigger ****wits than FF tbh.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    Is it true that the head of Mayo CC said this was a D4 coup? That's just embarassing, FG are bigger ****wits than FF tbh.

Yes. And blamed the 'Dublin media' for Enda's lack of support.

Advertisement