Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung American Fridge Freezer Problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

sharpman wrote: »
    Hi had a very quick response from Samsung had an engineer call out at 9 o'clock this morning and top of all the other problems he told me the compressor is gone after 5 years he will put the report through to Samsung and they will contact me not holding much fate :(
    Get your original date of purchase from the Retailer and do a search for smasung fridge problems BBC watchdog did a programme on them as there were so many issues in the U.K. I would also look on the National Consumer Agency website i can remember reading something about the Sale of Goods Act something there about not being 'fit for purpose' and write them a stinker of an email and keep ringing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1234tony

I was on phone to Samsung for one hour 30 minutes pulling me hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sharpman

Samsung why are they so hard to get in contact with 3 hours and still no answer :mad::mad:

sharpman wrote: »
    Samsung why are they so hard to get in contact with 3 hours and still no answer :mad::mad:
    Sorry to hear that they were at least reachable when I was contacting them but it sounds like they don't want to know about it. They are not doing much for their future sales! What about joe Duffy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Hi Some advice needed

We have a Samsung bought nov 2009 model#RSH1dbbp

Fan noise /freezing up
    Its a fan problem it keeps icing up,stops working froze solid ,which causes temp in fridge to rise due to no cold air flow,its a common problem with samsung fridges i`ve since learnt

A boards member seen an article on watchdog on b.b.c. tv a while back .

i hear samsung can fix it for good as it keeps happening its just over 3 years old ,

i have lost a lot of food items due to this .

Does anyone have any advice on the problem ?

I have emailed samsung there trying to put me off saying its out of warranty etc... but i hear they extended it to 5 years due to so many problems with these fridges in UK and Ireland

Any help would be great

Thanks Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Get in touch with the retailer, they are your point of contact and explain that it seems to be an underlying problem with the fridge - if possible have the said article at hand. If they refuse, then you could take it further to the SCC and argue the case that it is a known problem and you are already out of pocket because of it.

If the retailer is good they should be able to fight the case on your behalf ensuring that you wont need to visit the SCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This thread might be of some use to you. I remember reading it a while back.

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=349034&hilit=samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

Thanks a lot , robo,pip & dud : its an absolute disgrace the way Samsung have treated me on a product worth 1000 euro that should last 10 years at least ,

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pretty sure i have that fridge - the fan froze up and i just popped a hairdryer in to fix it by melting the ice that had formed. Should i still be looking to organise a home visit to ward off any potential future issues?

[QUOTE=runawaybishop ,it will keep happening as its the 3rd time for me ,its a fault due to door being left open ,fridge goes into overdrive trying to stay cold causes ice to form ,when putting shopping away u must be fast or else guess what ye bad design,well thats what repair man said , he called it a samdung , he fixes a few a week ,not funny m.

seaniefr wrote: »
    To all of you who unfortunately bought one of these pieces of crap (me included) Samdung will will fix it free (if it's a certain fault) up to 5 years from date of purchase

http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/troubleshootingguides/supportTroubleShootingGuidesMain.do

enter your model number or have a look at the troubleshooting guide list
    mine was out of warranty by 3 weeksicon8.gif
    I will never buy anything manufactured by them again!

http://www.samsung.com/ie/homevisit/
    see links above
    enter your model number & serial number and see if they have a service bulletin about your fridge.

Ye it shows a fire safety issue for my model due to possible spark

i sent a email earlier im awaiting a reply

Thanks Sean

tteknulp wrote: »
    ,it will keep happening as its the 3rd time for me ,its a fault due to door being left open ,fridge goes into overdrive trying to stay cold causes ice to form ,when putting shopping away u must be fast or else guess what ye bad design,well thats what repair man said , he called it a samdung , he fixes a few a week ,not funny m.

According to the Samsung homevisit link our fridge isn't affected. We've had it 3 years i think and i've had to fix it once

According to the Samsung homevisit link our fridge isn't affected. We've had it 3 years i think and i've had to fix it once

You would probably be better contacting a service agent for Samsung in Ireland and asking their advice if it happens again or maybe look up some U.K. websites with a query as they seem to have had the problems with the Samsung side by side fridge freezers first. What model is yours?

• Advertisement

Mine is model#RSH1dbbp ver 2 but it still has problems its only a revised version,most rsh1 have the problem ,i have done a fair bit of research ,the 2 service men that fixed it ,said similar things when its a side by side fridge with cooling issues 4out of 5 its a samsung ,dont get wrong they make great stuff ,i have a s3 phone ,2 lcd tv all samsung not a prob ,but fridge is another story .

i must be unlucky as its 3rd time for me roughly every 6 mths give or take ,i have it 3 years also .

Hi , heres what automated computer sent me from Samsung this morning

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I am sorry to hear about the cooling problems you are having with your refrigerator, I can understand your frustration as you expect the best performance from your refrigerator.

If the refrigerator is within the warranty period I can set up a service request for you with your local approved Samsung engineer and they will be in contact within 24 hours of me setting up the repair to arrange a suitable date & time to visit.

However, if the refrigerator is out of warranty then I will be happy to provide you with the details of your local engineer. Please note that if you are out of warranty there will be a charge for the repair, the engineer will be able to advise of the cost of such a repair.

Information required completing a repair:

Address:
    Telephone Number:

If you would like to make the arrangement over the phone then please call our technical helpline on 0330 726 7864 (within UK) or on +44 (0)330 726 7864 (outside UK) to arrange your repair.

I look forward to receiving the details requested so we can have your unit repaired as quickly as possible for you.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Hi all , just quick update i sent another email ,re warranty of fridge ,it states its 2years ,but by goodwill of company they will send engineer with parts needed to make repairs needed ,i got a repair no . Etc... I recommend. The same to anyone that had similar symtoms to mine to put pressure on them to repair it f.o.c. Thanks to all for help and links etc....
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi All,
    just coming across this thread now, as last night we had the same issue. Our fridge start making a strange motorized noise that stopped when the fridge door was opened. But then it just stopped and makes absolutely no noise at all. About a month ago the water dispenser stopped working also. its a RS21 model and Im just worried in case when I go home I will have lost the contents of the fridge and freezer. Our problem is that we bought the fridge in the autumn of 2006, but surely at a cost of over €1000 it should last longer than that. I purchased it in DID. What is the best action for us to take next? Im presuming it is one of those that has been listed as having a fault but I haven't got the serial number to hand to verify.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi All,
    just coming across this thread now, as last night we had the same issue. Our fridge start making a strange motorized noise that stopped when the fridge door was opened. But then it just stopped and makes absolutely no noise at all. About a month ago the water dispenser stopped working also. its a RS21 model and Im just worried in case when I go home I will have lost the contents of the fridge and freezer. Our problem is that we bought the fridge in the autumn of 2006, but surely at a cost of over €1000 it should last longer than that. I purchased it in DID. What is the best action for us to take next? Im presuming it is one of those that has been listed as having a fault but I haven't got the serial number to hand to verify.
    Thanks

Hi

check this link out
    all the info is in previous posts basically if its an RS21
    particularly an RS21DGRS you will need to get it looked at. Mine was the same vintage and when the authorised service sompany came out to look at it it was 'beyond economic repair' as it had to be re-gassed and they apparently dont work very well after it.
    I ended up with a replacement and they took back the original and this after losing the contents of the freeezer twice. One little bit of advice: don't put it on the long finger!

Hi

check this link out
    all the info is in previous posts basically if its an RS21
    particularly an RS21DGRS you will need to get it looked at. Mine was the same vintage and when the authorised service sompany came out to look at it it was 'beyond economic repair' as it had to be re-gassed and they apparently dont work very well after it.
    I ended up with a replacement and they took back the original and this after losing the contents of the freeezer twice. One little bit of advice: don't put it on the long finger!
    im getting on to it today, but just worried in case they tell me its out of warranty... surely even if it is it was still sold to me with the technical fault and is thus should be fixed free of charge?

im getting on to it today, but just worried in case they tell me its out of warranty... surely even if it is it was still sold to me with the technical fault and is thus should be fixed free of charge?

It probably will be out but you need to register the serial number on that link above anyway. You also need to get the original invoice showing to date of sale to you not the manufactured date of the unit as the date of sale is when the warranty should start and you should also be rattling the cage of DID electrical as the sale was with them. After that you are relying on Samsung's good graces i'm afraid! As far as i know they did extend the warranty from 2(or 1?) to 5 years on those units as they were having so much trouble with them but i know others on here who have gotten a rebate from them as the fridges should really be lasting longer than 5/6 years!

hi all, just to update ...
    i filled in the linked form above and the fridge is entitled to a call out from samsung. This form was completed on monday but i havent heard a word from them through phone or email and we are worried that the fridge is just going to stop working as the fan gets really load and then just stops working sporadically. How long generally have people had to wait for contact from samsung as it says on the form not to contact them once the form has been completed as they will get in touch with us...
    cheers

i filled in the linked form above and the fridge is entitled to a call out from samsung. This form was completed on monday but i havent heard a word from them through phone or email and we are worried that the fridge is just going to stop working as the fan gets really load and then just stops working sporadically. How long generally have people had to wait for contact from samsung as it says on the form not to contact them once the form has been completed as they will get in touch with us...
    cheers
    That sounds like the way ours went when the compressor was making funny noises. I would think that maybe you would be better off contacting them as I think it was around 5 days before they came back to us. Did you get a situation where the temp was reading ok on the fridge readout but actually about 10 degrees higher in the fridge?

no not yet, i might stick a temp in the fridge and see what it actually is. At the min, theres no water from the dispenser and the fridge sounds like its about to take off untill we open the door and the fan stop altogether.

cheers

You can remove panel only 4 screws ,melt ice with hair dryer ,temporary till he calls ,it took a week to get to me after filling form. Its a sensor issue apparently ,he had to reposition mine ,its newer model so might not be same issue 4 you

just to update... with the fridge now heating up according to the temp on the display, i rang the support line and have been on hold for the past 41mins yet to speak to a human. This is disgraceful level of customer support... any other advice on how to get in touch with them?
    cheers

just to update... with the fridge now heating up according to the temp on the display, i rang the support line and have been on hold for the past 41mins yet to speak to a human. This is disgraceful level of customer support... any other advice on how to get in touch with them?
    cheers

Have you defrosted your fridge?

no, i did remove some of the ice that had congregated at the base, but when i tried to get the panel off to remove some of the ice on where i presume the fan/motor is i couldnt get the panel off without the fear of it snapping.
    Im on the verge of ring joe duffy ....

• Advertisement

cheers
    I think basically everyone including me has had a similar experience-contact in the mornings only. What number are you using?

no, i did remove some of the ice that had congregated at the base, but when i tried to get the panel off to remove some of the ice on where i presume the fan/motor is i couldnt get the panel off without the fear of it snapping.
    Im on the verge of ring joe duffy ....

Use hair dryer with heat setting as my above post ,and prise it slowly it will come off.

I think basically everyone including me has had a similar experience-contact in the mornings only. What number are you using?

the 0818 one... you get through but only to an automated machine telling you how important your call is to them. I sent an angry email today, hopefully something will come of it.

Just to update this, I have been emailing Samsung back and forth 5 times at this stage. I have explained my situation and they have basically said its out of warranty but we can put you in touch with an engineer that will help you but it will cost you. This has followed emails by me explaining that I felt the product wasnt of 'merchantable quality' when it was sold to me (given the admittance by Samsung on the Watchdog programme). I have just sent them an email saying that I was getting in touch with consumer affairs as their last email said I should ring their support line, of which I was on hold for 45mins the last time I rang.
    Is there any other advice on what I could do, or has anyone else experienced this level of customer dissatisfaction with Samsung and their fridge freezers.
    tHanks

Just to update this, I have been emailing Samsung back and forth 5 times at this stage. I have explained my situation and they have basically said its out of warranty but we can put you in touch with an engineer that will help you but it will cost you. This has followed emails by me explaining that I felt the product wasnt of 'merchantable quality' when it was sold to me (given the admittance by Samsung on the Watchdog programme). I have just sent them an email saying that I was getting in touch with consumer affairs as their last email said I should ring their support line, of which I was on hold for 45mins the last time I rang.
    Is there any other advice on what I could do, or has anyone else experienced this level of customer dissatisfaction with Samsung and their fridge freezers.
    tHanks
    I am sorry to hear that it sounds like they have stopped warranty cover on them. It does sound like your problem is one that there is an upgrade kit could hopefully fix as I found that there was one out for certain models of Samsung fridges. What model is your fridge freezer by the way?

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like they have stopped warranty cover on them. It does sound like your problem is one that there is an upgrade kit could hopefully fix as I found that there was one out for certain models of Samsung fridges. What model is your fridge freezer by the way?

rs21 dcns is the model.

Have you defrosted the fridge yet? A common issue with many of these fridge models is ice forming near the fan and causing a knocking sound and rising temps.

rs21 dcns is the model.
    The model we were initially talking about was the RS21DGRS you might not hopefully have the probllems that were encountered on that model.

Have you defrosted the fridge yet? A common issue with many of these fridge models is ice forming near the fan and causing a knocking sound and rising temps.

havent defrosted it yet. I understand that the fan is frozen as the water pipe at the bottom is also solid ice. The main problem is that if I defrost it wats to stop the same this happening again?
    RE:DEFROSTING... would just unplugging the appliance do this or would i have to get a hairdryer or something similar out?
    cheers

• Advertisement

havent defrosted it yet. I understand that the fan is frozen as the water pipe at the bottom is also solid ice. The main problem is that if I defrost it wats to stop the same this happening again?
    RE:DEFROSTING... would just unplugging the appliance do this or would i have to get a hairdryer or something similar out?
    cheers

Apparently these fridges ice up if you leave the door open too long (according to this thread and my fridge repair-man), so to avoid a re-occurrence ensure you don't leave the door open when you are putting away your shopping etc and/or you defrost it yourself every so often.

To defrost it either unplug it or turn the temp up on the fridge side. Leave the door open. Personally I unplugged my fridge and removed the panel to get at the ice with a hair-drier. Took me about 20 minutes.

Just wanted to let you know how this all turned out.... which was good in the end. I rang Samsung haven been given a different number to ring following my threat to get onto consumer affairs and letting them know that i felt that i was being treated like a fool. I got through straight away and there was no problem at all, a free service call was arranged and the fridge has been fixed without and cost for labour or parts. They have also advised me of a 'loss of food' compensation policy that I am entitled to go for. I think that its a matter of persistence as it took me five emails before being given a no. other than the one i had to call.
    anyway, hopefully the issues wont come back again.
    Thanks for all advice

Just wanted to let you know how this all turned out.... which was good in the end. I rang Samsung haven been given a different number to ring following my threat to get onto consumer affairs and letting them know that i felt that i was being treated like a fool. I got through straight away and there was no problem at all, a free service call was arranged and the fridge has been fixed without and cost for labour or parts. They have also advised me of a 'loss of food' compensation policy that I am entitled to go for. I think that its a matter of persistence as it took me five emails before being given a no. other than the one i had to call.
    Thanks for all advice
    Glad to hear it worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coffeebreak

came accross this thread today as my samsung rs21 fridge is playing up again too. bought it in 2006 also. back 2 years ago i got the fridge fixed with engineer now same thing going wrong with it again. seems to be same problem as decribed by positivenote- water dispenser not working- ice building up at the back of the fridge and frezzing the veg.
    the last time the engineer came out for free as the fridge was due a free upgrade as some of these fridges were fire hazards. so he charged €150 to fix the fan thing.
    now 2 years later same thing wrong again- what advise can you offer positive note?
    what e-mail address did you e-mail your compliant to?
    when i rang helpline all i was told was that your fridge is out of warranty and all i can do is give you an engineer's number to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wash9000

We had the dreaded noisy fan, temperature too warm, ice build-up problem on the fridge section of a Samsung American style side by side fridge/freezer. It is a RSH1NHSW model purchased in September 2009 costing €700. Although I was aware of and had previous experience of poor performance of Samsung equipment, we purchased this unit because the dimensions fitted (just) the available space, the colour (white) matched our other kitchen equipment and lack of an ice dispenser was also what we wanted. Had there been another make with this specification, we would have purchased this instead.

Eighteen months later and we loose the food contents of the fridge due to a warm temperature and ice build-up. So we execute a full manual defrost and all is good for a few months and then the noisy fan and we loose the food contents again. So then we get into a routine of planned manual defrosts every quarter but by late 2012 even this does not restore the cooling performance. It was time to do some research and it became apparent very quickly that this is a design issue with multiple models of Samsung fridges that has gone on for many years, so much so that there are various third parties offering DIY repair kits. There have been lawsuits and massive product recalls with some units allegedly exploding.

The Samsung website which is endlessly patronising was no help to me because it insisted that I submit the serial number of the unit. The serial number is not on any of the enclosed documentation and can only be found apparently on the lower left hand side of the unit. In my case, I could only access this be de-constructing some of the built-in section of the kitchen and I was going to incur additional cost to do this and make it good afterwards.

So I called Samsung. This was fun (not). It took three attempts and many hours to get to talk to someone. They tried every trick in the book to avoid one to one contact – well you would I suppose if you have sold hundreds of thousands of faulty units to now irate customers around the globe. Well again, the serial number was asked for and I explained my difficulty in getting it as above but I also explained that I had documented proof of purchase. This cut no ice (pardon the pun) with them and I was basically told – no serial number, get lost. I asked what was the probability that they would give me a direct replacement so I could assess if it was worth kitchen de-construction to get the stupid serial number, again I was dismissed with no answer.

I reconsidered my options. Getting a new unit from another maker would cost me €1000 or so when I add in the required kitchen modifications. Appliance DIY Repairs in the UK (http://www.appliancediyrepairs.co.uk/) offer a whole range of Samsung repair kits and for my model the cost is £133. Delivery is free in the UK but is extra to Ireland so this is expensive but for me it was potentially my least worst option. I am pretty technical so fitting the repair kit was not going to be an issue. The really neat thing for me was that the repair kit could all be fitted within the fridge compartment without the need to access the back or sides so I did not have to move the unit and incur additional kitchen modification costs.

I found Andy at Appliance DIY Repairs extremely responsive and very helpful and dealing with him in contrast to Samsung was chalk and cheese. The repair kit includes an apparently improved evaporator cover with fan, evaporator heater with thermal fuse and a defrost sensor which (and this is critical) you install in a different location to the original. It also comes with an excellent set of installation instructions. Anyone that is reasonably handy should be able to fit this kit but you need to set a full day aside for it. It can take quite a long time to get rid of the ice build up. I used two hair dryers blowing close to the evaporator cover (but not touching it as this will melt the plastic) to get the cover free and I had to pour boiling water on the drain hole at the bottom of the evaporator for hours to get this clear of ice. The unit has been working fine since repair but I cannot vouch for the long-term effectiveness of the repair kit until more time passes. Given that the repair kit is also made up of Samsung components, I have no confidence that it is a permanent fix.

I estimate this Samsung mess has cost us in the region of €400 so far when I include the two batches of food wasted. In fact we have never had a good Samsung product. Our first Samsung product was a CII-5361AT/MIC television bought in November 1996. From day one had a faulty circuit board and the TV had to be hit slap here and there every other day to get a picture. The current crop of Samsung TV’s also seem to have loads of issues even on their high end units. Just Google Samsung TV clouding and banding to get an idea.

We managed to avoid Samsung products for a decade until our second Samsung product which was a DVD-VR320 VHS/DVD recorder bought specifically to archive VHS tapes to DVD in April 2006 as it was the only one available locally. The VHS deck was terrible and it made awful grainy DVD’s from the VHS tapes. The vendor (Currys) allowed to me trial their display unit but it was no better. Then I read the professional reviews and found that they had the same issue – the terrible VHS deck was not just a fault on mine but a “design feature” of all of them. It was utterly useless and sits gathering dust in the attic. We imported a Panasonic DMR EX95 VHS/DVD/HDD recorder to do the job. It is a class box and I now use it as a PVR for recording TV programmes from a set top box and archiving them to DVD.

So our third Samsung product, the poorly designed and very unreliable RSH1NHSW American style fridge/freezer will be our last.

WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PRODUCT EVER AGAIN. :mad:

We are careful users and tend to operate stuff by the book. Thankfully over the years other appliances we have owned (brands like Bosch, Electrolux, Zanussi, Belling, Mitsubishi, Philips, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Apple & Dell) have given us good service and value for money, only Samsung has not. What is amazing is how Samsung gets away with this. It seems to achieve it by being highly innovative in avoiding after-sales service and in avoiding it’s customers. It’s a shame it does not deploy the same level of innovation in the design and build of the products.

Buyer beware. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 niall061262

Hi there, My Samsung RSH 1 fridge / freezer has started tripping the trip switch at the electric box, any idea's please.

• Advertisement

Hi there, My Samsung RSH 1 fridge / freezer has started tripping the trip switch at the electric box, any idea's please.

Hi i would get the service company out-if you are SURE the fridge is causing it and not any other appliance in the house. You could look up the Samsung site with your unit serial number and see if your unit needs any retro fitting or any other useful info. They will also give you the number of the local service company if its out of warranty.

Thanks I will do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scanner63

Thanks for all advice

I'm going through the same problem with an RS21, Can you give me the last number you called and got satisfaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Samsung are still doing the repairs to this free of charge - they use local engineers who have done hundreds of them and it takes them 10 minutes.

You have to call their service line, but be prepared to test your patience. (its on their website)

Its a call centre in Korea and they are not the most proficient english speakers. You will have to know your alpha numeric alphabet - print one out before calling them, it will save you an awful lot of time. (A for Alpha, B for Bravo etc)

Also, have your serial number with you.

But once it is registered the next call is from a local service engineer - mine was repaired the following morning.

If the issue is not to do with the fan freezing, the guy will fix it and charge you the call out fee of €60, but at the same time get him to do the fax fix too so that there's no need for a further call out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement