Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008-2009 NHL Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I was crying in my beer last night watching that one LOL

The Hawks need that win last night after losing to straight to Detroit. We just seem to have Calgary's number this season.

Hopefully, this carries over into the playoffs, but I think that Calgary is built better when it comes to seven game series. The Hawks also have very little playoff experience, and are the youngest team in the NHL/

Tonight we get San Jose. The talk is that the Flames have to start to win against teams like San Jose, Detorit and Chicago if they are going to go anywhere.

Since they last played San jose in Nov they have gone 14-3-1. And only picked up one point on the Sharks.

An interesting analysis on the radio yesterday. The record in teh 2nd quarter carries through. The best teams, going by memory here: San Jose, Detroit, Chicago, Boston (who we beat :)), Philly and Calgary. (no particular order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Tonight we get San Jose. The talk is that the Flames have to start to win against teams like San Jose, Detorit and Chicago if they are going to go anywhere.

Since they last played San jose in Nov they have gone 14-3-1. And only picked up one point on the Sharks.

An interesting analysis on the radio yesterday. The record in teh 2nd quarter carries through. The best teams, going by memory here: San Jose, Detroit, Chicago, Boston (who we beat :)), Philly and Calgary. (no particular order.

Brian, it is funny that you should say that. The Hawks are 12-2-1 since the start of December. The three losses all came at the hands of Detroit.

Chicago has lost to Detroit, San Jose, Boston, Washington and the NY Rangers this season (although Boston, Washington, NY Rangers were the first week of the season).

We have not beaten the top teams in the NHL at all this season. ( I do not consdier Philly to be one of the top teams although we handled them easily after Christmas).

We have taken San Jose and Detroit to a SO and lost.

Obviosuly, both Chicago and Calgary are going to have to go through either Detoirt of San Jose in the second round of the playoffs this season.

And last night we took San Jose out. 5-2.

Are the Flames for real? Could we see a Hawks-Flames Semi-final? I hope not cause we can't seem to beat them.

Sundin makes his debut in a Canucks jersey tonight in Edmonchuck.

And last night we took San Jose out. 5-2.

Are the Flames for real? Could we see a Hawks-Flames Semi-final? I hope not cause we can't seem to beat them.

Sundin makes his debut in a Canucks jersey tonight in Edmonchuck.

I saw that they won literally a few minutes after I posted that this morning lol HUGE win for the Flames last night.

We beat the living hell out of the Coyotes (again) last night.

Is it me or is Gretzky turning into a little bitch in his old age ??

I think Gretzky is frustrated. He was so used to winning as a player and now his team is crap.

Although, being in Calgary, we used to call him Wayne the whiner. At Christmas if you got a bottle of wine the question would invariably arise, 'which Oiler is it?' and you would gllefully respond, 'it's a Wayne wine'.

Or a Sather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

How is Ovechkin going this season? I've just started getting into Ice Hockey(Just from playing NHL 09 so damn much!) but its hard to follow when it's only on Setanta Sports at like 2 in the morning! :mad:

Anyone have any good links to sites for news,other than www.nhl.com obviously

Cheers! :pac:

donmeister wrote: »

www.tsn.ca is the place you want to go for your hockey news.

www.sportsnet.ca is not bad

www.espn.com will have some hockey information, but overall sucks

www.thn.com The Hockey News

How is Ovechkin going this season? I've just started getting into Ice Hockey(Just from playing NHL 09 so damn much!) but its hard to follow when it's only on Setanta Sports at like 2 in the morning! :mad:

This is another decent one:
    http://en.canoe.ca/home.html

ALthough a news site it has excellent hockey columnists on it.

But all you really need is flames.nhl.com :D

Wow. Did the Hawks get screwed in Colorado last night.

Ryan Smyth kicks in a goal and then something that I have never seen in my lifetime of watching the NHL. The puck is dropped for a faceoff in the Hawks end without one of the Hawks player remotely near the circle in a tied game in the last half of the third period.

Talk about the referees changing the course of a game (twice).

Ryan Smyth kicks in a goal and then something that I have never seen in my lifetime of watching the NHL. The puck is dropped for a faceoff in the Hawks end without one of the Hawks player remotely near the circle in a tied game in the last half of the third period.

Is there a video somewhere?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

:D:D

Meh, the Hawks player was dawdling; what did he want - a written invitation to take the face-off? :rolleyes:

Oh and Smyth didn't kick it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

the worst part about moving from Canada to Ireland is the lack of hockey. And of course since I left my beloved Senators have tanked.:mad:

the worst part about moving from Canada to Ireland is the lack of hockey.

I know! Its awful crap,what is there,like only one hockey team here?In Dundalk? There should be way more rinks around anyways,imo.

I know! Its awful crap,what is there,like only one hockey team here?In Dundalk? There should be way more rinks around anyways,imo.

:rolleyes: You're not in Canada now - get over it FFS! When in Rome fella...

Be thankful for the few rinks we have! If you're that desperate for live hockey, go see a Giants game. It's not NHL standard but its damn good.

mod9maple wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You're not in Canada now - get over it FFS! When in Rome fella...

I was never in Canada! lol Im Irish btw..........although it is a shame Ice Hockey didnt take off here,what a sport! :)

I was never in Canada! lol Im Irish btw..........although it is a shame Ice Hockey didnt take off here,what a sport! :)

Oh well apologies then, I picked you up wrong from your answer to Expat. My comment is for him so...:D

I dont know RM. I think Smyths goal was good. The puck did hit his foot, but he didn't kick it in.

On the faceoff issue, I have never seen that before, but thelinesman was blowing his whistle and calling for the players to get ready for it and teh Hawk just stood there. I hope all the NHLers learn from that one.

I dont know RM. I think Smyths goal was good. The puck did hit his foot, but he didn't kick it in.

On the faceoff issue, I have never seen that before, but thelinesman was blowing his whistle and calling for the players to get ready for it and teh Hawk just stood there. I hope all the NHLers learn from that one.

I agree that Smyth didn't deliberatley kick the puck into the net. He did kick it trying to get it to the blade of his stick and missed.

As for the faceoff, yes and no. The Hawks were wrong being so slow going to the faceoff circle, moreso due to the line on the ice. Sharp has been playing wing all year and all of a sudden he is taking that faceoff.

My problem is that it is a 1-1 game late in the 3rd period with the puck dep in the Hawks end. You cannot give away an advantage like that to either team.

My problem is that it is a 1-1 game late in the 3rd period with the puck dep in the Hawks end. You cannot give away an advantage like that to either team.

That I can agree with. A little more discernment from the officials. Preventative officiating.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Flames took it to the Sharks .....again.

Oh well apologies then, I picked you up wrong from your answer to Expat. My comment is for him so...:D

Yeah, I know I've got to get over it eventually, but I've only been here 6 months so the addiction is hard to break. Going cold turkey is giving me the shakes! :D

Yeah, I know I've got to get over it eventually, but I've only been here 6 months so the addiction is hard to break. Going cold turkey is giving me the shakes! :D

It doesn't get any easier either !! lol

Looks like the Flames took it to the Sharks .....again.

What a hockey game too. San Jose's first home loss in regulation in something like 38 games.

Maybe the Flames are for real. We need to figure Khabibulin first though.

I'm not sure where in Ireland you are, or even if you drive, but if you're ever going to a game in Dundalk (the games against the Scots teams are usually fairly good) pm me and I'll come over and join you. In fact the same goes for everyone on here. I go quite often, it being only round the corner from me. :D

I'm not sure where in Ireland you are, or even if you drive, but if you're ever going to a game in Dundalk (the games against the Scots teams are usually fairly good) pm me and I'll come over and join you. In fact the same goes for everyone on here. I go quite often, it being only round the corner from me. :D

I live in Skerries so actually not too far and on the same train line. I don't have a car yet as I have to take my test again as they won't swap my license that I've had for 24 years! Yeah, before the season is over I'd like to take in a game there....has to be on a weekend though.

I've been following the Thrashers recently as they've just picked up Peverley as a new centre, he's a former student of mine and a nice guy who's made it to the pros through a lot of hard work. And 6 points in 3 games shows he's off to a great start!

I live in Skerries so actually not too far and on the same train line. I don't have a car yet as I have to take my test again as they won't swap my license that I've had for 24 years! Yeah, before the season is over I'd like to take in a game there....has to be on a weekend though.

I've been following the Thrashers recently as they've just picked up Peverley as a new centre, he's a former student of mine and a nice guy who's made it to the pros through a lot of hard work. And 6 points in 3 games shows he's off to a great start!

Well, if/when you're heading up let me know, if you want.

http://www.dundalkbulls.com/

My next game will be vs Selway Sharks on Sunday Feb 14.

Welcome to my world lol

Can you believe it. Flames only 7 points back of Detroit, who have a distinct advantage of getting to play St Louis more than we do.

• Advertisement

Can you believe it. Flames only 7 points back of Detroit, who have a distinct advantage of getting to play St Louis more than we do.

Detroit have just lost five in a row after losing to the Capitals last night.

My Blackhawks have done something that only the Flames have done so far this season......win in the Shark Tank.

Advertisement