Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hilux, Navara, Isuzu D-Max or L200

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭

l'd just like to say that i'm against large 4x4s as an accessory i.e. if you don't need one in the first place for your job, (serious) hobby or whatever.
    Now that's out of the way I'd like to hear a few informed opinions on what the best double cab pick-up is for Irish conditions.
    My father, a farmer who needs genuine off-road ability, unfaltering reliability and comfort, is replacing his utterly undependable ssangyong/daewoo musso with something that's actually up to the job. Basically I've been sent out on a fact finding mission so it's straight to boards I go. This car must last at least ten years with no significant problems and be able to tow several tonnes
    I know a lot of you will say Hilux immediately after seeing that episode of Top Gear but is the latest model as good? How about the others listed? Opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I would imagine that a D_Max is a little too bling for traipsing aroung fields. Any of the other three are fine - all pretty similar in price/ability, so it's really up to brand preference I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Have heard horror stories of Mitsubishi's breaking cranks due to dual mass flywheel failure. Don't know if this is on the L200 or just cars.

I'd go for the Hilux. The brother has one at work that's got 500,000km on the clock. It's driven by pesant Indian farmers who have never sat in a car, never mind drive! He works out in the Middle East in the desert, and it's all toyota over there, with the odd nissan thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

double cab landrover defender worth adding to the list ? Might not have the creature comforts of the others but should take some amount of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

double cab defender such a great workhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

ianobrien wrote: »
    Have heard horror stories of Mitsubishi's breaking cranks due to dual mass flywheel failure. Don't know if this is on the L200 or just cars.

Yeh, the same thing happened to my Pajero, and the result was a €1600 bill and 3 weeks off the road!

I'd say go for a Navara or a Hilux, but make sure its the 3.0 Hilux as the 2.5 is way underpowered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I had a similar choice to make last year and chose a Navara (s/h though).

Isuzu ground clearance isn't great - which can be good or bad depending on how much off-roading ability required. Hi-Lux over-priced and a teensy bit overrated according to a mechanic I know. Wouldn't touch the L200 - a dog to drive and I've heard of lots of problems.

I found the Navara (old model) nicest to drive - although all pick-ups are a little bouncy.

Defender may look cool but is a POS (IMHO)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

coolbeans wrote: »
    ...be able to tow several tonnes
    Define 'several'.

Braked towing capacities-
    Hilux Double Cab- 2250kg
    Navara Double Cab- 2305kg
    Isuzu D-Max Double Cab- 3000kg
    Mitsubishi L-200 Double Cab- 2700kg
    Land-Rover Defender 110 Double Cab- 3500kg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you will be limited to 3500kg total weight of pickup and trailer if using it on road.

Hilux would be the pick of the bunch. Defender ok if it's not going to be used for anything but farm work.

re: the 2.5 Hilux, the new intercooled 2.5 engine is al lot better than the old one they did in 2005. there isn't too much of a difference in real life between the 3.0. unless you drive hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

pburns wrote: »
    Defender may look cool but is a POS (IMHO)...

I am a farmer and drive a 110 TD5 Defender; it is the ultimate Farmers 4x4.
    Its interior is completely vinyl, which makes it easy to clean out, Power house works for me.
    It has the best ground clearance and will perform better than most pickups off road.
    It is an easy vehicle to work on and parts can be sourced cheaply via internet (Irish Land Rover Dealers are expensive).
    It is a good vehicle for the DIY mechanic as everything is easily accessible and replaceable.

It's not very comfortable, has the build quality of a Tractor.
    It dose require more maintenance especially drive shafts which require regular greasing.
    Its road handling is not great and there is no sound insulation between you and the road which is especially bad if you have off road tyres fitted.

I'd recommend Defender if it’s going to spend more time off road than on and / or going to be permanently fixed to an Ifor Williams trailer.

How ever if you want comfort, low maintenance and something which can still farm I'd recommend the Hilux (not because of Top Gear), although I'm not 100% sure of the newest model.

Navara is nice but I think they are a little soft and don't have a difflock as standard. Also I don't like electronically engaged 4WD a friend of mine had problems with the electronics and it became stuck in low range 4WD.

Dmax is very pretty, never drove one. Also has electronically engaged 4WD.

L200 again very nice but have herd of issues with gearboxes on some of the older models don't know if this has improved.

emaherx wrote: »
    How ever if you want comfort, low maintenance and something which can still farm I'd recommend the Hilux (not because of Top Gear), although I'm not 100% sure of the newest model.
    Much of the new model is carried over from the previous generation Hilux.
    I'd avoid the Vigo models though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems to be lots of Navaras on the roads these days. Saying that most are probably not used for their intended purpose.

Still you hear no nightmare stories and while Nissan cannot give away their cars they do tend to do well with their 4x4s. The Navara is also well speced for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Oilrig has had experience of most of these, a few years ago in nasty environments (Africa, Middle East, etc)

Hilux gets my vote. The rest don't even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Defender is definitely out I'm afraid. While they're undoubtedly the best of the bunch in the rough stuff that does come at a price. The old man specified some level of comfort and while this is relative especially when we're talking about cart sprung pick-ups the Landie comes dead last in this regard. Appreciate the posts though.

Re the definition of several tonnes; well, and don't shoot the messenger now, he'll be carrying the legal weight limit (and more probably) on a braked Dooley trailer which is basically a heavier reinforced version of the Ifor-Williams.

4x4 transfer switch - I've also heard of problems with all off roaders that use an electronic switch rather than an old fashioned in car gear lever. He'll be rightly pissed if the four wheel drive goes so that may be a big factor. The hilux is the only one as far as I know with an in cab gear stick instead of a switch. This could just swing it. Comments on any off the above??

Hiluxes are pricey second hand, but worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Not cos of top gear.

There are two reasons why a Hilux would not be the best option
    1 price
    2 tricky on a slippy road

Get a 3 L TD Vigo model if you can. Rock solid in every way. get low profile tyres if it does a lot of road driving, larger ATs if off road a lot.
    enjoy

Get a 3 L TD Vigo model if you can. Rock solid in every way. get low profile tyres if it does a lot of road driving, larger ATs if off road a lot.
    enjoy

Vigos have no manufacturers warranty and can give trouble with retro fitted heating systems, and the fact that the chassis isn't rustproofed.

Colm I heard that Vigos have no warranty as they're imported from Thailland. What's the deal so? My brother rang up this guy in The North selling imported Vigos of €36k and he said he'd cover it with a warranty too. There's a lot of murkiness re the prices and specs of new Hiluxes as far as I can see. Toyota Ireland don't seem to do the Vigo at all...:confused:

A warranty given by a garage that could close tomorrow isn't really the same as a manufacturers 36 month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Prices and specs on Irish models are very simple;
    there are 2 specs: DLX and SR5.
    The DLX is available with the 2.5 engine in single or double cab
    The SR5 is available with either the 2.5 or 3,0 engine in double cab only, with auto available as an option on both engines.

All Vigos are non-Europe models and are not covered by warranty, whether you buy them in Northern Ireland, UK, or Ireland.

We've had Vigo owners coming in with wet carpets trying to get their spurious heater rads (fitted by their independant dealer as some Vigos have coolers as opposed to heaters fitted) fixed under warranty, under the illusion that Toyota Ireland would foot the bill.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Beans -

Tell your dad to throw convention out the window and get himself this -

http://www.thehummerexperience.com/Articles/2003H3.htm

Sure you cant bring it to the grave!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A warranty given by a garage that could close tomorrow isn't really the same as a manufacturers 36 month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

We've had Vigo owners coming in with wet carpets trying to get their spurious heater rads (fitted by their independant dealer as some Vigos have coolers as opposed to heaters fitted) fixed under warranty, under the illusion that Toyota Ireland would foot the bill.....

I will give you that one. Yes the first month was confusing as the a/c was all over the shop, brought it back in to dealer, sorted. no problems since. Didn't know the chassis wasn't rust-proofed, But it's not caused any other problems at all. Its running sweet as a nut and to be honest, no problems from an uncovered vehicle is as good as a pain in the hole from a soft Nissan with the turning circle of a bingo bus or a Mitsi with a broken turbo solenoid.
    But I get where you're comin from, Its a risk really but the machine itself is pretty decent, an I've not managed to get it stuck in brown yet.

• Advertisement

The SR5 is available with either the 2.5 or 3,0 engine in double cab only, with auto available as an option on both engines.

All Vigos are non-Europe models and are not covered by warranty, whether you buy them in Northern Ireland, UK, or Ireland.

Thanks for that. Nice and straightforward.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Defender is definitely out I'm afraid. While they're undoubtedly the best of the bunch in the rough stuff that does come at a price. The old man specified some level of comfort and while this is relative especially when we're talking about cart sprung pick-ups the Landie comes dead last in this regard. Appreciate the posts though.

Re the definition of several tonnes; well, and don't shoot the messenger now, he'll be carrying the legal weight limit (and more probably) on a braked Dooley trailer which is basically a heavier reinforced version of the Ifor-Williams.

4x4 transfer switch - I've also heard of problems with all off roaders that use an electronic switch rather than an old fashioned in car gear lever. He'll be rightly pissed if the four wheel drive goes so that may be a big factor. The hilux is the only one as far as I know with an in cab gear stick instead of a switch. This could just swing it. Comments on any off the above??

I thought the Defender might be out, Shouldn't be compared to other 4x4's any way (More of a tractor :D).

Then the Hilux is your best option. You get what you pay for.

Real manual gear sticks and no dials, switches or knobs for range changes

As for being difficult on wet roads, show me a pickup that isn't. There all rear wheel drive (When in 2WD) with no weight on the back.

Just take any pickup onto a wet grassy field with 4WD off and floor it and see how long it takes for your rear to pass yor front. (good fun though :D)

What ever you go for, if its for farming make sure at has a least a central Diff Lock.

Beans -

Tell your dad to throw convention out the window and get himself this -

http://www.thehummerexperience.com/Articles/2003H3.htm

Sure you cant bring it to the grave!:D

Is it just me or are those tyres on backwards?
    Oh and where's the gear stick?
    Looks tuff, but I reckon it would last about ten Min on a Farm.

Better off with a Unimog if you just want BIG

Is it just me or are those tyres on backwards?
    Oh and where's the gear stick?
    Looks tuff, but I reckon it would last about ten Min on a Farm.

Better off with a Unimog if you just want BIG

Yeah, LOL - i just threw it in for the laff. Nice looking beast to cruise round in late on a saturday night i'd say and check out the totty, real poser of a yoke!:p

Yeah, LOL - i just threw it in for the laff. Nice looking beast to cruise round in late on a saturday night i'd say and check out the totty, real poser of a yoke!:p

Yea but I like this one
    http://whiteafrican.com/wp-content/Maximog%20-%20Unimog.jpg
    They come in a pickup or truck body too.

Yea but I like this one
    http://whiteafrican.com/wp-content/Maximog%20-%20Unimog.jpg
    They come in a pickup or truck body too.

A UNICAT! Never saw one of those before - cool beast of a thing. Lovin it.
    Its like the cross between a Mercedes G wagon and a Unimog. Does it have a PTO shaft on the back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 VillageIdiot

I wouldn't dare touch the Navara with its electronic 4WD switch. And any engine that small (2.5 l) producing that much power and torque has got to be working hard. I dont know about the new Mitsubishi. The old L200 was a pig. And like the other guy said, the D-max is just too much bling. I'd go Hilux. I have a 2007 3.0 D4D model. Fuel economy is superb (35 mpg, all open roads I admit), and it is reliable so far. You should bear in mind that the towing capacity is only 2.25 tonnes. If yer auld fella is going towing bullocks, this might be a problem. Also, there is no diff lock as standard on the Irish models, as I discovered in a boggy field in the middle of nowhere.

Also, there is no diff lock as standard on the Irish models, as I discovered in a boggy field in the middle of nowhere.

The 2.5 gets a rear diff lock, oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Just to jump in here with a voice of experience on Nissan Navaras.

We had two 06 versions bought new for site work and transporting crews. Had to replace clutch in each of them literally 5 times.

Granted, both might as well have had tri axle trailers welded to them, but they would only have been properly loaded one day a week with a mini digger. 4wd drive switch also gave bother with 4wd light getting stuck on in both jeeps on 4 seperate occasions (Two Each).

After all the bother we decided to get rid of them at which point we found we were married to them. Found them very difficult to move on on at what was a resonable price for the amount of fairly hard work they had put in.

Never had a hilux but we've always had toyota land cruisers (only went with the Navara for the crew cab) and they are well able for hard work, i presume the hilux would be as good, therefore worth the extra few pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Why Colm are there only 2 options available here,e.g(DLX & SR5), while there are 3 available in the u.k,check www.toyota.co.uk

Advertisement