Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Bus. 3 hours from Cork to Dublin Airport.
    Some late hour busses.
    Cheap as chips.
    Comfortable.
    Toilet.
    WIFI.

No reason to drive anymore.

Can you imagine the IDA saying that to company executives that their trying to attract and get them to set up factorys in the second largest city in our country.

We have a great infrastructure, roads, skilled (unemployed but willing to work) work force, award winning colleges and students of all ages, second biggest natural harbour in the world. (second to Sidney ) good electricty supply, + a lot more.

Oh and a cheap bus for a few hours to Dublin.

A shur lads,at least we have the Blarney stone to attract them!

Reposted :::: as I think it should. This county is lacking if those who matter cannot see the importance of direct flights.
    For F sake its like broad band and dial up.
    Or am I wrong ?

Feel free to reply as I know where U live!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

scudo2 wrote: »
    Can you imagine the IDA saying that to company executives that their trying to attract and get them to set up factorys in the second largest city in our country.

We have a great infrastructure, roads, skilled (unemployed but willing to work) work force, award winning colleges and students of all ages, second biggest natural harbour in the world. (second to Sidney ) good electricty supply, + a lot more.

The 2 cities are 2.5 hours apart by road or rail. That's hardly unreasonable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

The 2 cities are 2.5 hours apart by road or rail. That's hardly unreasonable all the same.

It is actually. Especially for high end business. The MD of EMC has mentioned it on a number of occasions.
    Nobody is demanding routes to every major US city but a link to the east coast is more than feasible. I would be amazed if it actually happened though given who decides these issues.

Agree, you also have to agree that a Yank Co. setting up here would be more attracted if we had USA routes from here. ( all pros and less cons would help them choose ) If not then Dublin would be first choice, Shannon second but has an iffy future.
    Or they will look at other countrys .

It was one of the bosses at EMC2 that pointed out all the good and bad points from an American point of view to me. Air routes was the biggest down fall for Cork in his opinion a few years ago and nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

True, but CAT II has reduced the number of diversions substantially.

Slightly OT: Was just listening to a CAT II request from "Jet2 friendly low fares" from Newcastle. Sounded new as if coming into an unknown airport, weather ceiling 200 feet but CAT II approach approved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some late hour busses.
    Cheap as chips.
    Comfortable.
    Toilet.
    WIFI.

Buses are fine for loads of people. But probably not the directors of EMC, Apple, J&J, pfizer, abbott, dairygold or musgrave.

It doesn't go from your front door, so you've to haul your luggage around somewhere to find it. It's slower than a car. And you could end up sitting next to Mr Smelly McSmell, or Mrs Chatty McChat. That's the reason they go business class and first class in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭fm

The airbridges arent being used because they charge the airlines too much to use them.

I would love if flights to Berlin and Prague came back, evenif the latter was only for a season

got a flight into cork from faro in june on aer lingus and the airbridge was used,first time i have seen or heard of them being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Here is what the Cork Airport director had to say about the air bridge's last year.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/16/cork-airport-boss-wants-transatlantic-flights-by-2015/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

pwurple wrote: »
    Driving to dublin airport and back adds 100 euro in fuel, parking and tolls to the price of the flight for someone from cork too. Plus an overnight stay up there if the flight is very early morning. It's a pure dose.
    get the bus and avoid all this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reposted :::: as I think it should. This county is lacking if those who matter cannot see the importance of direct flights.
    Or am I wrong ?

Reposted (for the last time) if somebody feel the need for flag waving !

I'm only trying to voice a professional opinion which cork airport, county council or DAA can't acknowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Here is what the Cork Airport director had to say about the air bridge's last year.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/16/cork-airport-boss-wants-transatlantic-flights-by-2015/

yup, outside of Aer Lingus the only other regular airlines at Cork Airport are low fare, like Ryanair and Jet2. These airlines refuse to use them because passengers take longer to disembark from one exit and that eats into their turnaround time. This is the same reason the Aer Lingus Heathrow flight rarely uses the air bridge as well. Most other Aer Lingus routes do use the air bridge though, certainly Barcelona and Munich as they aren't as dependent on fast turnarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

The new terminal was a waste of time, they should of been more concerned with keeping routes and promoting new ones. The old terminal could have been renovated for a lot less then €180 million. I would have lengthened the runway first and built a new terminal on a phased basis based on actual footfall.

mean gene wrote: »
    get the bus and avoid all this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you pause rolling your eyeballs around in their sockets, you might be able to read the rest of the thread. I have already mentioned about the buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Milly33 wrote: »
    The bus is great alright but if lets say you cant do the bus it is quite expensive to Pwurple said to pay for tolls, parking and all that goes.. I think Cork should just have its own airline ..

The last Cork airline, Jetmagic, didn't fare too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

often went over to the terminal at lunchtime from the business park to use the bank and the place is a ghost town. Cant just rely on Ryanair to bring other flights. couldn't other airlines such as air fungus air arann etc should be encouraged even if they are seasonal services. Id love to see a route to Belfast or . Also routes not available from Shannon, which would attract business from outside the county

Lambofdave wrote: »
    The new terminal was a waste of time, they should of been more concerned with keeping routes and promoting new ones. The old terminal could have been renovated for a lot less then €180 million. I would have lengthened the runway first and built a new terminal on a phased basis based on actual footfall.

Actual footfall before the new terminal was built was way above the old terminal's capacity and the building was barely able to handle the amount of passengers, especially in the summer. You have to remember all of this was planned and built when Cork airport was funneling over 3,000,000 passengers through a terminal designed for 1,500,000

Expansion would have caused too much disruption to the existing terminal and it would have been impossible to cater for those numbers in a safe way. If you added the cost of expansion and loss of earnings from passengers avoiding the airport while it was expanding, it just made sense to build a new terminal from scratch to cater for the increased numbers of passengers and have the ability to extend the new terminal without as much disruption if needed in future.

Future proofing infrastructure is sound practice and ok, numbers have fallen away again due to the financial crisis, but in the medium term passenger numbers will rise again and it's better to have a modern terminal ready for the bigger numbers to come.

In Ireland, we have been hamstrung by infrastructure being built to existing need instead of future need. Just look at how bad the kinsale road roundabout was for years because they didn't future proof the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

couldn't other airlines such as air fungus air arann etc should be encouraged even if they are seasonal services. Id love to see a route to Belfast or .

Arann are sort of dead, they are under some sort of arrangement with air fungus and are flying under air fungus's colours as a 'regional' carrier.

Last Belfast route was the ill fated Manx2 company and I think they no longer operate.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Arann are sort of dead, they are under some sort of arrangement with air fungus and are flying under air fungus's colours as a 'regional' carrier.

Last Belfast route was the ill fated Manx2 company and I think they no longer operate.

air arann use to do the Belfast route, flew it a couple of times esp near xmas it was busy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Actual footfall before the new terminal was built was way above the old terminal's capacity and the building was barely able to handle the amount of passengers, especially in the summer. You have to remember all of this was planned and built when Cork airport was funneling over 3,000,000 passengers through a terminal designed for 1,500,000

Expansion would have caused too much disruption to the existing terminal and it would have been impossible to cater for those numbers in a safe way. If you added the cost of expansion and loss of earnings from passengers avoiding the airport while it was expanding, it just made sense to build a new terminal from scratch to cater for the increased numbers of passengers and have the ability to extend the new terminal without as much disruption if needed in future.

Future proofing infrastructure is sound practice and ok, numbers have fallen away again due to the financial crisis, but in the medium term passenger numbers will rise again and it's better to have a modern terminal ready for the bigger numbers to come.

In Ireland, we have been hamstrung by infrastructure being built to existing need instead of future need. Just look at how bad the kinsale road roundabout was for years because they didn't future proof the junction.

Ok but it didn't need to cost 180million

o wait the cork to London Heathrow route frequency has increased from 4 to 5 times a day woohoo.. seriously though its like its just the 6th terminal to heathrow up there, the politicans etc really need a good kick in the behind with the airport

• Advertisement

How many passengers was the new terminal designed to handle, and how many has it handled this year?
    Those in positions if power really need to be doing more to get full independence from the DAA, until that's achieved,very little will change bar perhaps a few new routes from Ryanair.

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Ok but it didn't need to cost 180million

That I agree with, the airport is rather overspecced. I guess those were the good old days when cheap credit was sloshing around and Aer Rianta (as it was, now DAA) decided to splash out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some late hour busses.
    Cheap as chips.
    Comfortable.
    Toilet.
    WIFI.

Milly33 wrote: »
    The bus is great alright but if lets say you cant do the bus it is quite expensive to Pwurple said to pay for tolls, parking and all that goes.. I think Cork should just have its own airline called the bouy or something..

Or am I wrong ?

Buses are fine for loads of people. But probably not the directors of EMC, Apple, J&J, pfizer, abbott, dairygold or musgrave.

It doesn't go from your front door, so you've to haul your luggage around somewhere to find it. It's slower than a car. And you could end up sitting next to Mr Smelly McSmell, or Mrs Chatty McChat. That's the reason they go business class and first class in the first place.

Eh people, where exactly did I claim that the bus service is an adequate substitution for more flights from Cork? Where did I suggest that there are sufficient flight to/from Cork?

Can you enlighten me folks?

My post, quoted above, was in direct response to a post claiming that to drive to Dublin airport was expensive and a pain.
    My only point was that it is cheaper and more convenient to get the bus to Dublin airport than to drive or get the train. How that got turned around to me suggesting that there are plenty of flights from Cork and Mr. US Director should get the bus to Dublin airport and stop complaining.

Folks, just because I don't massage your egos buy implicitly agreeing with you does not mean that I disagree with you.

Now calm down!

Eh people, where exactly did I claim that the bus service is an adequate substitution for more flights from Cork? Where did I suggest that there are sufficient flight to/from Cork?

Can you enlighten me folks?

My post, quoted above, was in direct response to a post claiming that to drive to Dublin airport was expensive and a pain.
    My only point was that it is cheaper and more convenient to get the bus to Dublin airport than to drive or get the train. How that got turned around to me suggesting that there are plenty of flights from Cork and Mr. US Director should get the bus to Dublin airport and stop complaining.

Folks, just because I don't massage your egos buy implicitly agreeing with you does not mean that I disagree with you.

Now calm down!

You might be reading a bit much in there... I already said that buses are fine for plenty of people, you've even quoted it. :) They are indeed cheaper, but I don't agree that they are more convenient. It's a price - convenience trade-off... for the reasons I listed above.

If the additional time doesn't cost you much then it's a great solution. (ie, you are a student, have loads of free time to wait for buses in the rain, and some way to arrange to get your luggage to patricks quay) If time is what you are short of, then the bus isn't so good. It's more painful than driving from door to door, even if it is cheaper. And driving is more painful than flying... etc.

There are loads of alternatives for getting between airports...
    bus,
    drive,
    cycle,
    hitchhike,
    get the boat to the UK.

All on an inversely proportional scale of price vs inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You might be reading a bit much in there... I already said that buses are fine for plenty of people, you've even quoted it. :) They are indeed cheaper, but I don't agree that they are more convenient. It's a price - convenience trade-off... for the reasons I listed above.

If the additional time doesn't cost you much then it's a great solution. (ie, you are a student, have loads of free time to wait for buses in the rain, and some way to arrange to get your luggage to patricks quay) If time is what you are short of, then the bus isn't so good. It's more painful than driving from door to door, even if it is cheaper. And driving is more painful than flying... etc.

There are loads of alternatives for getting between airports...
    bus,
    drive,
    cycle,
    hitchhike,
    get the boat to the UK.

All on an inversely proportional scale of price vs inconvenience.

Have you taken a bus from Cork to Dublin airport in the last 2 or 3 years?

Have you taken a bus from Cork to Dublin airport in the last 2 or 3 years?

Not until it starts going from my front door. :D

No, thank goodness, I have been able to avoid Dublin airport since 2009.

I usually go from Cork, or drive to Kerry, Waterford or Shannon. Any longhauls I get usually connect better through Heathrow, Amsterdam or Frankfurt. Dublin Airport doesn't have much lure for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

You can't drive yourself right to the door of Dublin Airport, but the bus will drop you there. You save time at that end. Dublin Airport has improved a lot in the past few years with the new terminal, and lower passenger numbers easing the capacity crush. I used to avoid it like the plague but with the direct bus connection it's a useful option.

If you're travelling to a continental destination not served out of Cork, it takes a similar amount of time, and is usually cheaper and less hassle to get the bus to Dublin and fly directly from there than it is to fly from Cork via Heathrow or Amsterdam.

This is a real issue for Cork Airport, as any new route now has to compete against Dublin to a certain extent.

This is a real issue for Cork Airport, as any new route now has to compete against Dublin to a certain extent.[/quote]

But isn't it the case that the DAA has the final say on routes from cork? They certainly have the say in any possible transatlantic routes. Makes it hard to compete against a competitor who makes your decisions for you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Can't understand how Cork airport does not have transatlantic flights from a business perspective. Its obviously because to protect Shannon airport. Cork airport is losing out big time on this. It needs to break away from the DAA. It has been reported that knock are hoping to have transatlantic flights to Boston and new York by 2015 which will be a massive boost for tourism and businesses. Surely if it can be done there, Cork can do the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement