Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

My aunt lives next door, whom we refer as The buffalo (You can imagine why) she uses metre cards for her electricity, so on Christmas day 2000, her electricity went and she didn't want to use her other spare card. So she sent in her youngest child to ask mam if she would cook the dinner for them, now mam was after cooking ours so she reluctantly agreed, she never did get a thanks though.

The same aunt however, comes in for a cup of tea in the mornings, lunch and evening time, usually brings her three year old daughter, for what? To use our 'toilet' but really the little wench goes into my sisters room on the way down to rob anything she can get her hands on. She's barred from going down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Eating out one Sunday afternoon a well dressed couple sat down just across the isle.
    She ordered a serving of home fries and he ordered a sunny side up egg. They both drank water.
    When the food arrived they spent some time dividing up. she gave him half the home fries and took half his egg, drippy yolk and all.
    Then they complained, as they ate, that their meal was cold. When they both had a little left on their plates, called the server and told her their meal was ruined.
    Red-faced, she took the plates back to the kitchen.
    The couple was clearly expecting a new meal and were much disappointed when she brought the original plates back, carrying them with quilted gloves. She even said be careful as the plates were very hot.
    I wondered how many times that had gotten them free meals?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭silver_surfer

I think the worst i've seen is when I worked in a bar and people who take change off the counter that wasn't theirs.

I think the worst i've seen is when I worked in a bar and people who take change off the counter that wasn't theirs.
    Not just stingy, thieves:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This thread is still going?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Kudos.. It cheers me up daily;)

Oh btw, I saw my boss take a tea bag outa the bin the other day and use it! For real.

:eek: yuck! never accept the offer of tea from them.

Just remembered, my exs mom used to make me wash off the tinfoil and save it to reuse and she always kept the used wrapping paper from presents. She got really upset if you just ripped into them.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The company I work for buys in bits and pieces each month (crisps, biscuits, hotcups etc etc) for teabreaks or for people working late. We get in a fair amount of stuff it has to be said it usually lasts the month if one individual is out of the office.
    This particular person my collegues and I have noticed has eaten on more that one occasion 7bags of taytos in 1day! sometimes one bag after another after another leaving nothing for the rest of his co workers. Has been see on occasion filling up his bag in on a friday evening with a couple of bags also.

He also brings in his cellophane bag of cornflakes in the morning and uses the milk which is there for tea and coffee for his cereal cheeeeeepppp fcuker sometimes there will be nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean the bar staff? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

My cousin asked for €2 back off me the other day which I 'borrowed' off him like three years ago, as he is in college in UL and I don't see him much. He is such a tight ****.

Whenever he used to go out with us he used to ask us for a sip of our pints as he was too mean to buy his own. Can't describe how mean he is. I try to avoid him because of it. When I went to UL a while back to see him he was taking peoples cans etc...really sickening behaviour.

He gets it from his mother, she is an awful woman...I could go on all day about them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

My cousin asked for €2 back off me the other day which I 'borrowed' off him like three years ago, as he is in college in UL and I don't see him much. He is such a tight ****.

Whenever he used to go out with us he used to ask us for a sip of our pints as he was too mean to buy his own. Can't describe how mean he is. I try to avoid him because of it. When I went to UL a while back to see him he was taking peoples cans etc...really sickening behaviour.

He gets it from his mother, she is an awful woman...I could go on all day about them...
    I may know this person.

I would say that you don't know the half of it, but I'm sure you do... and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Donotpassgo

OMG, I have just discovered this thread,
    My SIL and BIL came to stay with us twice last year from England brought their 2 daughters and one of the daughters boyfriend. On both occasions we fed and watered them, put them up, drove them around... Anyway on the first occasion there was a family get together and my SIL asked everyone at the table (i.e. all mentioned above), bar me, what they would like to drink!! Even though all were staying in my home?!
    The second time they stayed when they were leaving they left a present for my daughters 13th b'day (their goddaughter), she opened it, it was 5eu! (about £4.00 at the time) the card was addressed from the 5 of them!!!! :eek:
    Just want to mention they never bought even a bag of sweets between my kids when they came but we were expected to feed them day in day out... never again... :( That's not even the half of it could say more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

A former neighbour of mine got a copy of the Disneyland promotional dvd, you know the one with videos of all the rides and previews of the shows?

Well his kids got all excited and hyper thinking that they were going to Disneyland.
    The whole family sat down and watched it together and as it ended he told them that now they had seen everything that was there they weren't going!!!

He then SOLD the free dvd to one of his neighbours so they could watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

jimoc wrote: »
    A former neighbour of mine got a copy of the Disneyland promotional dvd, you know the one with videos of all the rides and previews of the shows?

Well his kids got all excited and hyper thinking that they were going to Disneyland.
    The whole family sat down and watched it together and as it ended he told them that now they had seen everything that was there they weren't going!!!

Ah jesus that is after making my day.... Fooking brilliant hahahahahaha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

jimoc wrote: »

Thats not stingy thats sadistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Don't want to waste bandwidth starting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

To Revive this thread:

Watching an episode of "My Restuarant Rules" on tv, anyway this guy complains when he receives his bill that he was charged for water. So the Waiter goes to the maitre 'de and is told to knock it off the bill. The waiter goes to the customer, apologises for the mistake and informs him of the reduction in the bill.

The customer say's no problem but since the food was soooo good he will add the cost of the water on as a tip. He proceeds to put $2.50 on the table. $2.50 (Aus) equates to €1.72. Just WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Years ago when I was going to school I had a part time job earing about IR£1.72 (that was stingy by the supermarket) per hour. My cousin and I were hanging out one day and passed a shop. I had about IR£1.50 in my pocket and gave him half to buy some sweets in the shop.

We went out and were walking up the road when I notice a jingling sound coming from his pocket! I said nothing but that was the day I realised how stingy he is. Even his mother says he's mean these days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You sound even squeakier yourself.
    Pay back whatever you borrow promptly and without reminding imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Resurrecting this due to spolsport closing of the newer one :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Resurrecting this due to spolsport closing of the newer one :mad:

I know he's too stingy to have 2 threads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My father's side of the family is quite big with 3 uncles and 5 aunts. Every christmas we have a big party over at my grandfather's house, where presents are exchanged and such.
    Over the years when I was younger I learned what to expect. CD from an aunt, art supplies from grandparents, and Battleship from my uncle.
    Every year.
    From 1994 to 2005 I got Battleship every single year from my uncle. Not even namebrand Battleship, "War at Sea" from Supervalu mind you. I recently found out at a family due when he had a few drinks in him that every year he would go down to Supervalu on 23rd december, buy about £30 worth of the cheapest toys and stuff he could find, then wrap them separately 9 or so kids on my dads side of the family. If there was anything left over it would be saved til next year. Wrapping paper was also requested back just in case.
    The man takes trips to exotic locations to do some site seeing nearly every two months. If I had a battleship for every christmas ive had to fake suprise....oh wait, I DO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

My father's side of the family is quite big with 3 uncles and 5 aunts. Every christmas we have a big party over at my grandfather's house, where presents are exchanged and such.
    Over the years when I was younger I learned what to expect. CD from an aunt, art supplies from grandparents, and Battleship from my uncle.
    Every year.
    From 1994 to 2005 I got Battleship every single year from my uncle. Not even namebrand Battleship, "War at Sea" from Supervalu mind you. I recently found out at a family due when he had a few drinks in him that every year he would go down to Supervalu on 23rd december, buy about £30 worth of the cheapest toys and stuff he could find, then wrap them separately 9 or so kids on my dads side of the family. If there was anything left over it would be saved til next year. Wrapping paper was also requested back just in case.
    The man takes trips to exotic locations to do some site seeing nearly every two months. If I had a battleship for every christmas ive had to fake suprise....oh wait, I DO.

To be honest, i wouldn't spend alot of money on presents for my nephews. If they aren't broken within an hour they'll almost certainly be forgotten about. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on a holiday too than some snotty nosed kid who wont appeciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I know a fella who peels stamps off letters and re-uses them if they don't have the An Post stamped thingy indicating that they have been used.

Lord, the effort some people put into being stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every year.

Sounds like clever guy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A Mate of mine used to always bring over 8 cans of Dutch Gold or whatever was cheapest at the offie.

When going home he'd take a few can's of Heino with him ... which was 'ok' the first few times, but it went on for about 8 or 9 times.

We asked him about it one night and he said "Sure you offered me your beer, I left some beer (dutch gold) in the fridge, i didn't drink all 8"

We made sure in future to give him his Cheapo beer when heading out to grab one from the fridge after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 youtwat

My auntie gave me a diary for Christmas last year and when I opened it she had already written in it, names and addresses, important dates.... S-T-I-N-G-Y!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Since I used to live in Scotland I can safely say they are the stingest people I've ever met. there are so many stingy things I saw them do I wouldnt know where to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I shared house with a Chinese girl (possibly the stingiest people on the planet) and another flat mate.

She first arrived into our lives when her boyfriend, who we were sharing with at the time, told us a ‘friend’ of his was coming to stay for a few days, 2 months later she was still sitting on the sofa watching TV. I demanded that she at least pay a quarter of the bills, which he eventually and grudgingly stumped up for, she took over his room when he left a month later (it was big mistake letting her do that)

If she was going out or spending the night at her boyfriend/meal ticket's house, she would sneakily switch off the central heating! The bloody nerve, she expected us to freeze if she wasn't there and as if that wasn't bad enough, she was always cold and had two electric heaters permanently blazing in her room.

She would also ring the landlord if a bulb blew in her room, and when he told her to feck off, she's take one from a light fixture in the hall and expect us to replace it.

She shared a bathroom with my other flat-mate but she would take her own toilet roll to the bathroom and take it away with her when she was finished. One day she took the other girl's loo roll also. My flat mate was so exasperated that she knocked on her door and demanded it back. Chinese girl comes back to her door with two loo rolls and asks which one was hers.

Despite the fact that she had cheap rent, I paid the TV licence and NTL myself, free phone calls and broadband (my work installed broadband and a phone for me) which she used as liberally as anybody with no conscience would, when she was moving out, I had to spend an hour with her as she poured over the final ESB bill like a forensic accountant attempting to save herself a fiver! Cheeky bitch.
    I can't imagine how much the daily hour long phone-calls to China must have cost my employer, but they were too dim to notice.

And those stories are only the tip of the iceberg! There were other things that weren't cheap but just plain wierd, like the fact that she kept a framed studio portrait by her bed..... of herself LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 youtwat

Unbelievable! A friend of mine asked us all to a bbq in her parents' house - when my friend went up to take a sausage roll her Father said '€2 please'. Thinking he was joking he walked away, laughing. The Dad followed him looking for the money! Needless to say we weren't long in leaving!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement