Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Capacity on Peak service

Options
  • 05-11-2013 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

So how is it affecting you? Can only speak from my own experiences, but for example, the 05.40am Longford -Pearse..Now reduced to 4 carriages.. While I'm lucky where I board that I will get a seat, it's a disgrace to have to see fellow commuters left either squashed nose to nose on the train or on the platform as there simply is not enough room on this train anymore. :mad: Who are the geniuses that come up with these cost/energy saving initiatives, while increasing our fares at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Where are people standing from?

And where are people being left behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

lxflyer wrote: »
    Where are people standing from?

And where are people being left behind?

People standing from Lexlip Louisa Bridge..I think then from Ashtown onwards, this morning that is, people (some) were unable to get on due to overcrowding.

Whatever about standing from Leixlip, I'd totally agree about it being unacceptable that people could not get on.

Whatever about standing from Leixlip, I'd totally agree about it being unacceptable that people could not get on.
    Exactly..But up until either last week or week before ( i didnt travel last week) - this early service (5.40am) was always a 6 carriage set and while it got nearer town, yes you would have people standing. However standing room was at least comfortable and safe and you weren't squashed to an inch of your life. Honestly this morning and yesterday it was like the train to Calcutta. Standing will pretty much always be inevitable, but this is standing to an extreme I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Once passengers get seats before Maynooth, its fine to have 4 carriages in place.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Once passengers get seats before Maynooth, its fine to have 4 carriages in place.

Yes, it is, if it doesnt stop then at every station between Maynooth and Pearse. But it does stop and its now dangerously over-crowded & as i already said, some people unable to get on.. How is that fine?

MDFM wrote: »
    Yes, it is, if it doesnt stop then at every station between Maynooth and Pearse. But it does stop and its now dangerously over-crowded & as i already said, some people unable to get on.. How is that fine?

What will happen in the new timetable is stops will be dropped, Maynooth has a frequent enough service at peak times so I'm sure they were not waiting to long for the next train.

It's not fine if people cannot board the train - that is not acceptable.

It's not fine if people cannot board the train - that is not acceptable.

Well they can't change a fleet overnight and put a timetable in place over night, can they, would the OP prefer a 4 car 2900 instead?

Well they can't change a fleet overnight and put a timetable in place over night, can they, would the OP prefer a 4 car 2900 instead?

Well I think that you may find that some customers will not agree with you.

Golden rule of cost cutting - do not start to lose customers as a result.

I would expect that they fleet reformation process will cause issues, and result in some people standing where they previously had a seat, but leaving passengers behind is totally unacceptable.

• Advertisement

Well I think that you may find that some customers will not agree with you.

Golden rule of cost cutting - do not start to lose customers as a result.

I would expect that they fleet reformation process will cause issues, and result in some people standing where they previously had a seat, but leaving passengers behind is totally unacceptable.

Dublin Bus leave passengers behind everyday, don't see people complaining about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

4 car 29 pace-docklands this morning, standing room from castleknock. 3 car 22 (!!) back standing to and possibly beyond clonsilla. 4 car 29 Pearse-Maynooth still standing at clonsilla. It's not like they're particularly short of rolling stock...

Driving would be far quicker - but insanely dearer (24.20 tolls daily...) so I need to figure out which is less horrific

Dublin Bus leave passengers behind everyday, don't see people complaining about it.

There is a huge difference between leaving people behind when the entire fleet is on the road, and leaving people behind because of an internal management decision to reduce the capacity of the daily operational fleet.

This sort of thing is what makes people decide not to use the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Dont see people complaining about Dublin bus leaving customers behind!!! Jamie you need to learn how to use google or the search function!!

I agree with op that its disgraceful paying customers behind.

We keep hearing Barry kenny of IR spouting on about how people abroad have to stand on commuter trains. Maybe, but generally they have shorter ttcommutes, more frequent trains (so can wait 5 mins for the next train to see if the next one is less packed).

How about IR start leading the way for other railways to copy as 'Best Practice' rather than copy others (& invariably the cost saving practices that make travel worse for customers!!)

We keep hearing Barry kenny of IR spouting on about how people abroad have to stand on commuter trains. Maybe, but generally they have shorter ttcommutes, more frequent trains (so can wait 5 mins for the next train to see if the next one is less packed).

How about IR start leading the way for other railways to copy as 'Best Practice' rather than copy others (& invariably the cost saving practices that make travel worse for customers!!)

Trains fares are much higher outside of Ireland so yes having more frequent trains is possible. What people here think is expensive its nothing compared to other places.

Maybe people on the Maynooth line need to get in contact with the local TD who happens to be minister of transport who has cut 10 million from IE next year...

The people who couldn't get on the 4 car had to wait less than 10 minutes for the next train, towards city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

That's the most ridiculous bit of excusing IE at all costs I've heard for a long time! What an Urban bus company does is nothing to do with the matter , chalk and cheese with a common overlord.

Passengers generally don't complain , they vote with their feet and IE can't afford to lose any passengers.

I'm not referring to the timetable...that hasn't changed..Re-my original post, my point is, they've reduced the capacity by 2 carriages, on a peak service. Result - train is packed to the extent breathing space is next to nothing, and yes while standing on trains is the norm, as has being on this service already, but now it's at the point of ridiculous & dangerous. People were left behind on the platform, reason being it was not possible to squeeze any more bodies onto the train.

I don't care what train they lay on, 22 or 29 - but it's not acceptable to suddenly change this service's capacity when it clearly is a service in high demand that people are paying a lot of money to use.

I'm not referring to the timetable...that hasn't changed..Re-my original post, my point is, they've reduced the capacity by 2 carriages, on a peak service. Result - train is packed to the extent breathing space is next to nothing, and yes while standing on trains is the norm, as has being on this service already, but now it's at the point of ridiculous & dangerous. People were left behind on the platform, reason being it was not possible to squeeze any more bodies onto the train.

I don't care what train they lay on, 22 or 29 - but it's not acceptable to suddenly change this service's capacity when it clearly is a service in high demand that people are paying a lot of money to use.

Yes and my point the reduced train sizes will require a new timetable to ensure capacity is right so until the fleet is changed that can't happen.

corktina wrote: »
    That's the most ridiculous bit of excusing IE at all costs I've heard for a long time! What an Urban bus company does is nothing to do with the matter , chalk and cheese with a common overlord.

Passengers generally don't complain , they vote with their feet and IE can't afford to lose any passengers.

So are you saying some stations on the Maynooth line are not urban.

Buses and trams leave people behind all the time, the fact is you only had less than 10 minutes for next service.

Not saying the cut in capacity is right or wrong just saying cutting this service isn't causing as much problems as others being cut.

Yes and my point the reduced train sizes will require a new timetable to ensure capacity is right so until the fleet is changed that can't happen.

As far as I'm aware, there is no new timetable coming into place..Unless you can point me to the information stating that it is? In any case, I don't get your point 'reduced train sizes will require new timetable' ....train sizes are already reduced in the past 2 weeks, but no new timetable has come into force.

• Advertisement

Buses and trams leave people behind all the time, the fact is you only had less than 10 minutes for next service.

Not saying the cut in capacity is right or wrong just saying cutting this service isn't causing as much problems as others being cut.

And how do you know??
    Why not take a trip on the service in question (5.40am longford-pearse) yourself, then come back and comment..

And how do you know??
    Why not take a trip on the service in question (5.40am longford-pearse) yourself, then come back and comment..

As far as I'm aware, there is no new timetable coming into place..Unless you can point me to the information stating that it is? In any case, I don't get your point 'reduced train sizes will require new timetable' ....train sizes are already reduced in the past 2 weeks, but no new timetable has come into force.

None due for the next while but it will be end of the year if not early 2014 before the whole fleet is changed over so only then can a new timetable be planned. Clearly this train should be non stop from Maynooth in whi its a 4 car.
    And how do you know??
    Why not take a trip on the service in question (5.40am longford-pearse) and witness it for yourself, then come back and comment..

17.05 to Sligo last Friday.

Is Maynooth I the City? Not in way comparable to a City bus service. Most definately Outer Suburban

Is Maynooth I the City? Not in way comparable to a City bus service. Most definately Outer Suburban

But the OP said the problems started further into the city.

My view on the 4 car trains is they are a good idea however they shouldn't convert the whole fleet. They should start off with 15 sets and keep the rest as it is.

They would then have
    37 3 piece
    15 4 piece
    10 6 piece

If needed to reduce further then gradually increase the 4 piece sets.

How will they manage the necessary timetable changes then? Not very practical really. On a service such as this they should be running 3+3

How will they manage the necessary timetable changes then? Not very practical really. On a service such as this they should be running 3+3

Yep, and this was what they were originally running on the aforementioned service..

Drop stops from Maynooth onwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Meaning that the next services to those stops will become chronically overcrowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Why fix something that's not broken?

It was fine when it was a 6-coach, just put it back to the way it was.

Irish rail cannot afford to risk losing passengers on this or any other services.

Advertisement