Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Would love to see a pic when it's done, let us know what wool you end up going for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Definitely want to go with something simpler as that's the overall look I'm going with, is there any other type of yarn that would give maybe the same fluffy effect so it's not so plain but maybe just slightly less fluffy , I've looked at rowan kid silk haze but as I said I've never made clothes before so am worried it would be too hard to work with

What about this?

Or:

this?

this??

Or even:something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Wow the last one looks fab also really like the first two would that wool be hard to knit with as I've said I've never knit clothes before so usually only work with dk yarn
    What about this?

Or:

this?

this??

Or even:something different?

Definitely, hopefully it will be worthy of showing a pic of have been trawling patterns all day it's exciting tho!!
    Would love to see a pic when it's done, let us know what wool you end up going for..

If you're worried about working with mohair, then why not try something equally luxurious looking, but in silk? Something like Bergere de France Soie or Debbie Bliss Luxury Silk would be fine. Both are DK.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much this is exactly the type of thing I've been looking for now it's just about finding the right pattern so it looks good :) any recommendations appreciated
    If you're worried about working with mohair, then why not try something equally luxurious looking, but in silk? Something like Bergere de France Soie or Debbie Bliss Luxury Silk would be fine. Both are DK.

An thinking of this wool
    http://www.deramores.com/adriafil-soffio-plus
    Would love opinions

It's got a high synthetic to mohair ratio. That might make it even more itchy than pure mohair or mohair silk combo. But it might be easier for you to work with.

Adriafil is a nice yarn to work with anyway, and the price is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

An thinking of this wool
    http://www.deramores.com/adriafil-soffio-plus
    Would love opinions
    what about Drops Mohair? it's a lovely yarn and price is good:
    http://store.winniethewoolwagon.com/store/product/10563/Drops-Kid-Silk-01-Off-White/

are you a member of ravelry.com? if not - join, it's free! you'll need a week to go through amount of patterns and complete projects available there.
    here's my 2secs search for "bolero":
    DSC_0230_medium2.JPG

That's a VERY good price for mohair!!

• Advertisement

Yep I'm on revelry had found this pattern that I like
    Just trying to find right wool that's not too expensive just in case I mess it up :)

That's a nice bolero and should work very well with any of the mohair yarns. Just make sure your tension is correct (knit a tension square first!!), and you won't go wrong.

Is it in DK or lace? Looks like lace weight to me.

It's actually worsted weight recommended use with Plymouth yarn angora
    That's a nice bolero and should work very well with any of the mohair yarns. Just make sure your tension is correct (knit a tension square first!!), and you won't go wrong.

Is it in DK or lace? Looks like lace weight to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Hi can I join in? Picked up my needles first time in 3 years! Working on cardigan for my little boy!

Hi can I join in? Picked up my needles first time in 3 years! Working on cardigan for my little boy!

Gets addictive really quickly I only started back around this time last year hadnt done any since school
    I went on a shopping spree this morn and got some fab yarn RICO fashion metallise has a lovely sparkle , no luck with the bridal wool yet but I'm using this yarn to do a flower girl bolero as practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Cmbutterfly45, would you consider crochet?

Some thing like these:

http://crochet-sweaters.blogspot.ie/search/label/Bolero?&max-results=16

Guys, I want to crochet another shopping bag but the cost of cotton string to too high, what fibre is the strongest? I have some yarns that I cant break by hand but they are all different fibres, are most of them polyester mixes, most have lost their wraps!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Cmbutterfly45, would you consider crochet?

Some thing like these:

http://crochet-sweaters.blogspot.ie/search/label/Bolero?&max-results=16

Guys, I want to crochet another shopping bag but the cost of cotton string to too high, what fibre is the strongest? I have some yarns that I cant break by hand but they are all different fibres, are most of them polyester mixes, most have lost their wraps!

I haven't got a clue how to crochet!!
    It is something that I want to learn but I'm not sure if I want to make my first project be something that I wear for my wedding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Yah! A knitting thread!! :D I haven't done any knitting in a long time but I really should take it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's never been a better time.

Bought my wool for bridal bolero today from bergeredefrance.co.uk amazing deals I got 25% off the wool and an extra £10 off for subscribing to newsletter and first time order , so got all my mohair wool and delivery for I think about €23 woohoo can't wait for it to arrive now so I can get knitting!! Thanks everyone for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Victoria92

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice! I'm living out into the country and there aren't really any wool shops in my area. I was thinking of just buying my wool online instead, but since I've never done it before, I'd love if someone could recommend a good online wool shop for me?! Preferably Irish as I do like to support local!

I saw the banner ad at the top of the page for "Vibes and Scribes" online shop. Has any one had any experience shopping with them? I saw on another thread someone recommended Yarn Paradise? I think they're an American company though.

Have been reading through all the threads for ages so thought I'd finally join in! I figure there isn't a better place I could ask for crafting advice! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snitchy

I've never bought online from vibes and scribes but I buy stuff in the shop all the time and have never had a problem with anything. There's a HUGE selection of wool though which is great for obsessed crocheters like me! I haven't shopped with Yarn Paradise but I've heard the Yarn Emporium is supposed to be good?

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Does anyone have any of the Aldi Kirkton House aran yarn from March in shade 104, dye lot 20 (purple)? My mum is searching everywhere for it to finish a pattern. Only need a small amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I recommend Vibes & Scribes, they are great. I've used yarnmarket, its american and try ebay too.

girlfriday, can you put up a picture of what you're looking for, some people might have it buy won't know as ball bands will be long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boo22

Hi,
    I have a project I need to do and to to it I need a knitting machine. I would be looking to rent it for about two weeks. Or if you have one you don't need I will take it off your hands!

If you can help me at all it would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Victoria92 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice! I'm living out into the country and there aren't really any wool shops in my area. I was thinking of just buying my wool online instead, but since I've never done it before, I'd love if someone could recommend a good online wool shop for me?! Preferably Irish as I do like to support local!

I saw the banner ad at the top of the page for "Vibes and Scribes" online shop. Has any one had any experience shopping with them? I saw on another thread someone recommended Yarn Paradise? I think they're an American company though.

Have been reading through all the threads for ages so thought I'd finally join in! I figure there isn't a better place I could ask for crafting advice! Thanks!

I've heard good things about www.springwools.com they are in dublin

aknitter wrote: »
    I've heard good things about www.springwools.com they are in dublin

Springwools are great I order from them regularly as I like you am not really near any wool shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Made my first ruffle scarf last night with wool I got in Aldi at the weekend. It was 16C on the way to work this morning, but by god, I was wearing that scarf. :)

I want to make all my winter accessories this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Ruffle scarfs are the best gift! They take no time to knit up.

I have undertaken a long, wide tube knit scarf for a gift, regretting it now, its taking ages to get anywhere. Maybe they can have a cowl instead :pac:

• Advertisement

Ruffle scarfs are the best gift! They take no time to knit up.

I have undertaken a long, wide tube knit scarf for a gift, regretting it now, its taking ages to get anywhere. Maybe they can have a cowl instead :pac:

Lol I started a scarf for a gift last year that ended its life as a snood/ cowl, it just wouldn't end!!!!

Advertisement