Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

and when possible henry of course

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

in fact id even prefer a re-worked backrow with maybe diack at 7 than him even though im aware he is a six but still think he'd do more of a job then bring wilson in at 6 or henderson when possible and williams at 8 or vice versa

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McComish hasn't played that many this season thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Great to see Tom Court representing the Lions on SPOTY :D, in fact all three Ulster Lions were flying the flag with the injured duo of Tommy Bowe and Rory Best joining Corbisiero, Parling, Hogg, Warburton (I think) and of course Halfpenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

With Paddy Wallace coming back and with signs that the coaching team are interested in Olding at 10, I wonder if there will be a need for another signing there.

It's actually kind of annoying from an Irish perspective the amount of good backs that Ulster has. There are too many to have them all starting, but at centre alone you have Olding, Marshall, Cave and Payne, all with potential to play at international level.

• Advertisement

With Paddy Wallace coming back and with signs that the coaching team are interested in Olding at 10, I wonder if there will be a need for another signing there.

It's actually kind of annoying from an Irish perspective the amount of good backs that Ulster has. There are too many to have them all starting, but at centre alone you have Olding, Marshall, Cave and Payne, all with potential to play at international level.

The thing is Olding is far too good to be a back up 10 and Jackson is really beginning to develop into the 10 most Ulster fans have longed felt he would become (and he will still get much better).

My point is that Olding will probably be in Ireland squads alongside Jackson in the future which means we wouldn't really have cover for Jackson during the test windows if you know what I mean.

Gareth Anscombe fits the bill as he covers FB as well as 10 but then again I can't see him moving to Europe to be a back up either even if daddy is coach.

In saying all that McKinney won a man of the match award the last time he played for Ulster and I think won the man of the match award for the Ravens at the weekend so if anything he can maybe provide the cover for Jackson rather than Olding.

Thinking ahead to our next three games

Zebre (h)
    Leinster (a)
    Munster (h)

I really hope we don't do what we've done recently and send a Ravens team down to Dublin on Boxing Day. Hopefully any R&R that is needed will take place against Zebre and then we can send a strong team to Dublin (if not our strongest side) and then our 1st XV can line out against Munster.

Maybe something like this against Zebre should be enough for the win...

15 McIlwaine
    14 Trimble
    13 Allen
    12 Wallace
    11 Gilroy
    10 McKinney
    9 Marshall
    1 Black
    2 Annett
    3 Fitzptarick
    4 Muller
    5 Tuohy
    6 Joyce - suspect if any change is made it will be McComish who gets the start but I'd prefer to see Joyce get a run out.
    7 Doyle
    8 Wilson

Have a strong bench just in case

Herring
    Court
    Afoa
    McComb
    Diack
    Pienaar
    Jackson
    Cave

I suspect it'll be a weak side against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This is what I was getting at earlier (again I have no idea really how the system works) about the Ulster forfeiting of one of the Christmas games. If it does work in 'blocks' surely, as bilston suggests, the resting can be done in the easy game Ulster have there (Zebre) instead of against Leinster or Munster?

awec wrote: »
    I suspect it'll be a weak side against Leinster.

The thing is we're 4th in the league and we need all the points we can get to get into the top four, plus we've no idea what the criteria is for European qualification so we shouldn't be risking that either so I think we should be trying to get as many points as possible in the league. We can get Zebre at home with a weak side, we won't be able to beat Leinster away with a weak side.

• Advertisement

Yea but sure it was the same last year - sent a weak side to Thomond and lost our first game of the season.

Yea but sure it was the same last year - sent a weak side to Thomond and lost our first game of the season.

But last year we were something like 10 points clear at the top of the table. We could afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If we send a weak team up to Ravenhill, I will be really pissed off. It could be a cracker if both teams put out strong teams and really go for it.

I don't mind a small bit of rotation as we'd do in the HC (Killer/Cronin, Botha/Archer, DOC/Ryan, Stander/Coughlan, maybe Conway in the backs) but if we start a sub team, I'll be pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Luke Marshall really is a man child. I know who is and what age he is but I'd still feel obliged to ask him for ID if I worked in a bar!

bilston wrote: »
    The thing is Olding is far too good to be a back up 10 and Jackson is really beginning to develop into the 10 most Ulster fans have longed felt he would become (and he will still get much better).

My point is that Olding will probably be in Ireland squads alongside Jackson in the future which means we wouldn't really have cover for Jackson during the test windows if you know what I mean.

Gareth Anscombe fits the bill as he covers FB as well as 10 but then again I can't see him moving to Europe to be a back up either even if daddy is coach.

In saying all that McKinney won a man of the match award the last time he played for Ulster and I think won the man of the match award for the Ravens at the weekend so if anything he can maybe provide the cover for Jackson rather than Olding.

Nah I'm with you there, to be honest. I think Olding is one of the most exciting prospects coming through at the moment and it would be an absolute waste not to have him starting regularly.

It's hard to see past him, Paddy and Luke being heavily involved with Ulster and Ireland over the next few years at least.

But even as it is, Ulster have a glut of potential internationals in the backs that they can't have starting together. Between Olding, Jackson, Marshall, Cave, Payne, and Gilroy you have six competing for four positions (if Gilroy is competing for fullback). So I wonder if signing another 10 will really allow for another player to get more game time in another position.

But that's a good point about needing coverage during the international windows, though it sounds like McKinney might be the man for the job. And then there's Wallace coming back too, of course.

It has to be said though, in terms of young talent in the backs, Ulster have to be the best placed in Ireland in the moment. It's exciting. It'll be very interesting to see who they sign in the front row next season. And if Ferris comes back, I think that will add that explosive ball-carrying edge that has been missing in the back row, though Henderson could possibly fill that role too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

we need to figure out Oldings best position. A great player will miss out somewhere.

I'm still in the Olding to 13 camp - but cave will miss out plus you have IRFU insistance of Payne to 13.....

I'd loath to lose one of the guys to another province....no offence other provinces:P

No need to move Olding elsewhere - he'll be a first choice player at Ulster soon enough.

No need to move Olding elsewhere - he'll be a first choice player at Ulster soon enough.

at 12?

I must admit. I think Marshall is a fantastic player, but I do get slightly frustrated when we only use him to crash ball it through the middle. Both for Ulster and Ireland.

Olding has a guile about him that makes him a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

First thing Olding needs to do is get fit ! Cruciate ligament is a tough injury for one so young. Hope he is going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    we need to figure out Oldings best position. A great player will miss out somewhere.

I'm still in the Olding to 13 camp - but cave will miss out plus you have IRFU insistance of Payne to 13.....

I'd loath to lose one of the guys to another province....no offence other provinces:P
    Payne is a much better (world class) full back than he is a centre and should stay at 15, marshall isnt going anywhere & jackson is growing into the 10 shirt quite nicely now
    i hate to say it but 13 is possibly his best destination for ulster, as much as i think cave is the no.2 13 in Ireland at the minute (and not far off no1) i think olding has the potential to be better... although as stanza 2 says he wont be competing for a while!

Olding's best position at the moment is 12. Anything else is conjecture, albeit based on some evidence of excellent performances in those other positions, if not at Ulster level.

However Stanza is sadly correct, he has a serious injury and he needs to recover from that, I'm not sure which knee he injured however it is very noticeable he has a very strong step of his left so I hope actually it's not his left knee he hurt because who is to say how he will recover.

at 12?

I must admit. I think Marshall is a fantastic player, but I do get slightly frustrated when we only use him to crash ball it through the middle. Both for Ulster and Ireland.

I think we'll be playing Marshall at 12 and Olding at 13.

Which is incredibly harsh on Cave who is a fantastic player.

at 12?

Ireland have actually used Marshall a little bit differently from what I can see. For Ulster he is more of a battering ram but for Ireland he seems to have attacked space more in his 4 caps.

Marshall is getting better and better all the time, in fact it's noticeable now just how much both him and Jackson have improved, even from the start of this season. They are an excellent 10/12 pairing.

Ulster will be spoilt for choice in these positions in the future, but so will Ireland when you consider you also have to throw Hanrahan into the mix.

Ireland have actually used Marshall a little bit differently from what I can see. For Ulster he is more of a battering ram but for Ireland he seems to have attacked space more in his 4 caps.

Marshall is getting better and better all the time, in fact it's noticeable now just how much both him and Jackson have improved, even from the start of this season. They are an excellent 10/12 pairing.

Ulster will be spoilt for choice in these positions in the future, but so will Ireland when you consider you also have to throw Hanrahan into the mix.

Do you think JJ will be getting a look with the options available... incl Olding

Do you think JJ will be getting a look with the options available... incl Olding

JJ, while promising, isn't at the level of Jackson, Marshall and to a lesser extent, Olding.

What has separated the young Ulster talent from the rest of Ireland is that they've been starting regularly for a couple of seasons now, and it's starting to pay dividends. Henshaw has been getting similar exposure at Connacht.

The likes of Hanrahan, Macken, Reid and Conway have a long way to go just because they haven't been getting that game time.

Not sure, that's probably one for a Munster fan to comment on, his step for his try on Saturday was out of this world...BUT...you have to ask why he hasn't made more of an impact at Munster yet? What's holding him back? Keatley and Downey are decent players but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Not sure, that's probably one for a Munster fan to comment on, his step for his try on Saturday was out of this world...BUT...you have to ask why he hasn't made more of an impact at Munster yet? What's holding him back? Keatley and Downey are decent players but nothing more.

He's seen more as a 10 I think, and Keatley has been working for years to get to the point where he's a h cup starting 10. JJ barely got a look in at 10 last season so he'd have to have done something pretty outstanding to be the starting 10 already. I mean this time last year was his first couple of months out of U20, I know he's held to a high standard given his potential but I don't think it's particularly damming that he's behind Keatley at this stage.

Jackson set a misleading precedent of being first choice 10 so young, we all know how long it took sexton to become first choice, just being 2nd choice at a big H Cup team is a reasonably advanced stage for a 21 year old 10

I do agree, especially given how highly he was rated through the youth ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I think there's room for them all. Experience has shown is unusual for everyone to be fit at the same time... and even if they are there's room in the 23 for them all + IRFU rest protocols.

More strength in tight 5 must be the concern for next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement