Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i know you like Alfa's, but come on, that's not even worth a grand.

As for the T sports, a friend of mine has one and loves it. He did say about the oil pump issue and said it is a very common problem, i've heard this from a few people also.

I presume there would be no way of checking the condition of the oil pump in these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I presume there would be no way of checking the condition of the oil pump in these?

Just allow the cost of replacing it when and if you buy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You seem set on the Corolla, but would there not be some other (imho more interesting / better) cars you should consider / test drive (check insurance)?

MINI Cooper S
    Clio 172
    FIAT Coupe
    Alfa GTV
    Mazda RX-8
    Audi TT

Remember it's the ultimate buyers market at the moment and very few people want a petrol sporty car (and many people that have them are trying to sell them). You do a low mileage and I think you have built up a bit of NCB. I'd expect insurance on any of the above would be reasonable enough if you invest some time making inquiries...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Have a look at Nissan pulsar VZRs too, they're going quite cheap these days, would probably be similar to the corolla, high revving N/A with NEO-VVL (essentially VVTL-i), and IMO look nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

i know you like Alfa's, but come on, that's not even worth a grand.

You know when I look at the ad again, you're probably right.. It's on the expensive side compared to what's available on donedeal. Still though I think it's one of the nicer examples of that car around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

166man wrote: »
    You know when I look at the ad again, you're probably right.. It's on the expensive side compared to what's available on donedeal. Still though I think it's one of the nicer examples of that car around.

My Afla friend bought a 02 156 2.0 170 bhp, mint as mint as an 02 car gets for 800 euro.

My Afla friend bought a 02 156 2.0 170 bhp, mint as mint as an 02 car gets for 800 euro.

170bhp? Aren't they 155bhp? Good point but still not too many minty Sportwagons around is all...:)

166man wrote: »
    170bhp? Aren't they 155bhp? Good point but still not too many minty Sportwagons around is all...:)

No, his is a JTS and saloon.

No, his is a JTS and saloon.

Ah right it's the TS I was thinking off. Lucky sod you're Alfa mate is!:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

unkel wrote: »
    You seem set on the Corolla, but would there not be some other (imho more interesting / better) cars you should consider / test drive (check insurance)?

MINI Cooper S
    Clio 172
    FIAT Coupe
    Alfa GTV
    Mazda RX-8
    Audi TT

Remember it's the ultimate buyers market at the moment and very few people want a petrol sporty car (and many people that have them are trying to sell them). You do a low mileage and I think you have built up a bit of NCB. I'd expect insurance on any of the above would be reasonable enough if you invest some time making inquiries...

Will have 2 years NCB by June. My current policy has an additional bonus for driving experience too. Will be ringing my broker in the morning to suss out the insurance situation!

I am pretty set on the corolla, but it was mainly to do with the insurance aspect. I also liked the idea of a sleeper too tbh!

I love cars, but at the same time i'm no mechanic so something reliable would be preferable too. So Clio 172s, RX8s, Fiat Coupes etc would worry me being honest. I'll know fairly quick in the morning how the insurance situation pans out, so my options in the car dept could broaden quite a bit!

• Advertisement

Rx8's don't touch, they require as much maintenance as a pushy wife.

Fiat Turbos the same.

Clio 172s are basic and most of the bits and pieces bar the engine as as simple as a normal Clio.

I would step back if I were you and carefully consider your options. Don't make a hasty decision
    I love cars, but at the same time i'm no mechanic

I'm the same. It's good you recognise your limitation. It doesn't have to stop you choosing certain cars, it is an opportunity to approach them differently. Research the car. As an example take the RX-8. You know there are plenty threads on here about them. "they use oil" - "they need their engine rebuilt every year" - "they never start when you want them too". You know that most of the scare about them is pub talk. Research the car, talk to owners, find a good indy and buy a car from an honest enthusiast (bring an indy with you when buying or let the seller show up at the indy)

And have a bit of budget. Don't spend your full budget of 4k, but only spend 3k and keep a grand and add an additional €50 per month to it or whatever is appropriate to cover eventualities

And if that would be too tight financially, I'd clock up another year of NCB in your current car and have another look at opportunities next year :)
    I'll know fairly quick in the morning how the insurance situation pans out
    Will be ringing my broker in the morning to suss out the insurance situation!

Honestly, you'd be better off spending several hours on the phone to all insurers and all brokers. You could very well save yourself hundreds and / or can get reasonable insurance from one crowd where the others wouldn't quote you at all for a particular car

unkel wrote: »
    I would step back if I were you and carefully consider your options. Don't make a hasty decision

I'm the same. It's good you recognise your limitation. It doesn't have to stop you choosing certain cars, it is an opportunity to approach them differently. Research the car. As an example take the RX-8. You know there are plenty threads on here about them. "they use oil" - "they need their engine rebuilt every year" - "they never start when you want them too". You know that most of the scare about them is pub talk. Research the car, talk to owners, find a good indy and buy a car from an honest enthusiast (bring an indy with you when buying or let the seller show up at the indy)

And have a bit of budget. Don't spend your full budget of 4k, but only spend 3k and keep a grand and add an additional €50 per month to it or whatever is appropriate to cover eventualities

And if that would be too tight financially, I'd clock up another year of NCB in your current car and have another look at opportunities next year :)

Honestly, you'd be better off spending several hours on the phone to all insurers and all brokers. You could very well save yourself hundreds and / or can get reasonable insurance from one crowd where the others wouldn't quote you at all for a particular car

Cheers man!

I'm in no rush to buy, and the financial situation is fine too!

And you're right about the insurance; all my quotes so far have been online, which i know from experience to be a joke. It's just that i'm finally in a position to buy, before it was always something in the future, but now the time has come:D

It's just that i'm finally in a position to buy, before it was always something in the future, but now the time has come:D

Great feeling and fair play for getting yourself there :)

Never a better time to buy something sporty with a bit of power. Take your time though and buy something you deserve (and not something mediocre :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Been reading this thread with interest OP. Totally agree on your sway towards the T Sport because of the Sleeper element. Good friend has had one for 5 years. Excellent motor, keeps it well serviced and has had no unpleasant suprises. Despite all the more supped up and bitched assed looking hatch's he could have went for, he has held onto the T Sport with no regrets.

Again, like your good self, I aint no mechanical guru... just passing on a positive T Sport story;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i dont know anyone with a t sport so it'd be nice to know someone with one ;)

i dont know anyone with a t sport so it'd be nice to know someone with one ;)

As i said i do, if you want to post up any questions i can forward them on to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i was merely talking with regard to a spin ;)

i was merely talking with regard to a spin ;)

Whoops, confused you with Alan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mazdamps

Been reading this thread with interest OP. Totally agree on your sway towards the T Sport because of the Sleeper element. Good friend has had one for 5 years. Excellent motor, keeps it well serviced and has had no unpleasant suprises. Despite all the more supped up and bitched assed looking hatch's he could have went for, he has held onto the T Sport with no regrets.

Again, like your good self, I aint no mechanical guru... just passing on a positive T Sport story;)

Sleeper effect is a real plus, it looks like a normal Corolla, all the other's mentioned like the RX8, Copper S, Clio 172's are all class cars as well, but not sleepers, they look all quick.

Polo GTI is a nice motor as well and cheap, just have to debadge it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3129292

1.8 turbo petrol 150bhp, 220nm, 1160kg

It's a k03s turbo so it would be good for about 220bhp with downpipe, intercooler and remap. Plenty quick then.

Fella's on vw forums have had a 1.8t @ 229bhp on a decent map.

312mm fronts would be a very good upgrade as well.

220bhp and 1160kg, that's fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

mazdamps wrote: »
    Polo GTI is a nice motor as well and cheap, just have to debadge it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3129292

1.8 turbo petrol 150bhp, 220nm, 1160kg

As far as I know these polos(pre-2002) have 1.6 16V 125 PS (92 kW) engine in them. I may be wrong though.

I've been driving a Polo for too long! Couldn't bare another one!

I took that T Sport that I posted earlier for a spin today. And it seemed shagged. The wheels were muck on it, the second we started the engine up it sounded tappety, really didn't like sound off it. Took it for a spin anyway and it pulled well:D really put a smile on my face hitting the fun pedal.

At the end of the day, I didn't like the sound of it at all, it was farrrrrr too expensive at 4950, and yer man wasn't willing to budge much at all. That being said, the handling seemed okay, and it pulled well. The hunt is still on!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Have you looked at a Celica TS? I'd imagine they handle far better than the corolla...
    There seems to be loads in your price range aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Cheers man!

I'm in no rush to buy, and the financial situation is fine too!

And you're right about the insurance; all my quotes so far have been online, which i know from experience to be a joke. It's just that i'm finally in a position to buy, before it was always something in the future, but now the time has come:D
    So you're like me waiting for the day I could finally buy the DC5.

In hindsight if I could have picked it up without having to sort the niggly bits, I would have been FAR happier with it but running beautifully now and just have to sort some flaking on the bumper and splitter. Even with those flaws, I can still look at it and it brings a smile to my face.

If I didn't know the history of mine I wouldn't have bought it after a test drive, but I knew it was small things that were wrong and I'd brought it for a spin before the IACV etc start playing up, so I knew what sweets were inside the wrapper if ya get me.

Long story short, try find something that you can track back being looked after and cared for.

If ever a day comes were I can't run the DC5, I wont sell it, it'll be staying with me and I'll be looking after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Definitely throw a Cooper S into your thought process.

If you can get over a few people on the road calling you a f4g for driving one... they'll p!ss all over a Celica/Corolla in the twisty bits.

I've been looking at one for my gf and they're incredibly cheap - she's looking for a standard Mini Cooper but I'm going to try drop an S in there and see if she notices the difference.. :D

Love the cooper s and would drive one in a heart beat, they seem to be at the top end of my budget for the very cheapest ones though. They're at 5 grand, but not quite 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

kerten wrote: »
    As far as I know these polos(pre-2002) have 1.6 16V 125 PS (92 kW) engine in them. I may be wrong though.

You are right. The 6n2 gti was indeed a 1.6 ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Vertakill wrote: »
    they'll p!ss all over a Celica/Corolla in the twisty bits.

Don't want to appear like a Toyota fanboy but how do you figure a cooper s would piss all over a celica/corolla, cooper s (to 06) is 20 less bhp than Toyota, about the same weight (think celica is lighter) and The celica handles better than the cooper (not sure bout corolla).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If I was in your position I would most definitely be looking at a Focus ST170. Reliable, relatively quick and much better looking than a Corolla (although I appreciate the understated look of the TSport). And being a Ford parts are cheap, anyone can look after it and spec levels are good if you can find one with the lux pack.

• Advertisement

I think i'll have to go and look at this one.

Advertisement