Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

bajer101 wrote: »
    If we cast our minds back a few weeks we may recall that the government attempted to kick all of these issues into touch with the announcement that there was a serious issue relating to the taping of phone calls in Garda stations. The more astute observers recognised this for what it was - a smokescreen. Where is this nonsense story now? Where are the all the anticipated appeals? Where are the criminals roaming the streets as a result of this? No one has been released and not one successful appeal. We should not let that little sidebar be forgotten as it is a perfect example of how this administration has tried to hoodwink us all. We pay their wages and they work for us, but they take our money and use it to try and deceive us.

Nothing to see here, move along. GSOC being bugged by AGS! How dare they even hint at that. We'll just stand up in the Dail and shout them down and show them who's in charge. Except that those days are gone. They haven't quite cottoned onto the fact that if you lie, or misquote legislation, you will be caught out in minutes and your lies will be all over social media before your buddies have stopped chuckling in the chamber. They don't get it yet because there is still a large raft of party first neanderthals still willing to put their posters up and canvas for them. But I think the penny may be beginning to drop. The forthcoming elections will be a rude awakening.

Top post sire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

.. and to top it all off:
    It has emerged that Alan Shatter is entitled to severance pay of over €70,000 despite resigning as the Minister for Justice.

The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform has confirmed that the Dublin South TD is entitled to severance pay of €70,282.

The severance pay comes despite TDs passing laws to abolish the severance payments last month.

That is because the appropriate law was only signed into effect in the last few days after Deputy Shatter had resigned.

This in addition to his Dail salary of course! I don't buy the inevitable excuse that it's his entitlement under the current system.. we've seen this government has no problem bending, breaking or just throwing out the rules when it suits its purposes. But sure, it's no surprise - punishment and loss is only for the "little people" in Ireland. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

This in addition to his Dail salary of course! I don't buy the inevitable excuse that it's his entitlement under the current system.. we've seen this government has no problem bending, breaking or just throwing out the rules when it suits its purposes. But sure, it's no surprise - punishment and loss is only for the "little people" in Ireland. :mad:

He who laughs last.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Instead of Enda and Leo saying they think Alan should not take the severance pay, why not withhold it, if it's not already been paid?

Would Alan contest it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Instead of Enda and Leo saying they think Alan should not take the severance pay, why not withhold it, if it's not already been paid?

Would Alan contest it?
    As already mentioned. The guy made some serious errors of judgement and didnt correctly do his job. He willingly quit the job also. In my opinion there is no reason for the guy to get a severance package at all, let along one almost twice the average wage.
    I know if I quit my job in the morning I wouldnt be getting anything but my P45, and if I had performed in my role in the manner that shatter did the past few months I'd probably have my employers looking for money off me.

So the points are these
    1. Why should he get a severence package when he quit?
    2. Why should the tax payer foot the bill for this?
    3. If the government are serious about change, why dont they treat their own people the same way they treat everyone else?
    4. It is amazing to see how many pay and condition related changes have happened in this state at the stroke of a pen. (Income changes for public servants, tax changes for all, including USC, Dipping into pension funds, changes to terms of pensions etc etc) yet there are certain things that cannot be changed (the severence terms of senior politicians and public servants, the grossly overpaid pensions of retired politicians etc).
    Why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Leo said on morning Ireland, the severence package was to be signed after the reshuffel. Was that to allow ministers to claim the largess if they were dropped from cabinet. Curious statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Leo said on morning Ireland, the severence package was to be signed after the reshuffel. Was that to allow ministers to claim the largess if they were dropped from cabinet. Curious statement.

Heard him, sounds like it.

Brendan Howlin didnt sign off on it:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0520/618594-alan-shatter/

The Government view:
    "Asked about the Taoiseach's position on the issue, a Government spokesperson said it has been clear Government policy to end severance payments to former ministers, and that "everyone should adhere to that - including Alan".

Call his bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am predicting that a big announcement will be made tomorrow just before the Friday elections --

"Alan Shatter has decided not to take the 70K he was due".

Opportunists.

I am predicting that a big announcement will be made tomorrow just before the Friday elections --

Opportunists.

I would not agree, there's more going on behind the scenes. It could be related to my bad mind.

Opportunists.

I think you're right...
    ALAN SHATTER COULD be about to break his silence on whether he will be accepting just over €70,000 of severance payments.

The former Minister for Justice has told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that he will be making a statement on the matter later this afternoon.

(from here)

... Right in time for the evening news on the night before the election.

Coincidence? Hmm.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

He's arrogant enough to take it and I hope he does, even if he comes out now and says he's not taking it the good is gone out of the announcement, maybe he wants to hurt Kenny a little and will let it hang until the election is over. He'll suit himself in any event

Shady Tady wrote: »
    He's arrogant enough to take it and I hope he does, even if he comes out now and says he's not taking it the good is gone out of the announcement, maybe he wants to hurt Kenny a little and will let it hang until the election is over. He'll suit himself in any event

The announcement is at the start of the election moratorium, reporting has to be restricted to what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

The announcement is at the start of the election moratorium, reporting has to be restricted to what he says.

He's nasty enough to drop a clanger this afternoon at the announcement, whats with all this hype, either say yes or no and get off the ****ing stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm making a statement from the plinth of my front door at 1 pm to inform you all of the contents of my lunch.

There will no statements released until that time.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Will Shatter announce his resignation from the Dáil during his statement at 14:30?

Will Shatter announce his resignation from the Dáil during his statement at 14:30?

That's what all this is about, chairman kenny didn't even speak to him about the €70k. Hopefully he is annoyed enough to let fly. Could be an exciting evening, after all.

Enda is getting desperate now - Taoiseach reveals €191,000 in severance payments to former Fianna Fail ministers

While not excusing FF, and there's not many surprises on the list either, you have to LOVE his timing.

So will Shatter:

(a) Keep the money - cause shure FF did it first! (AKA the usual FG playground politics response)

(b) Refuse it - cause FG aren't as bad as FF like! (PS: Vote for us!)

Seriously, with every day this government becomes more farcical! It'd be funny if the effects of their muppetry wasn't so serious for the rest of us.

EDIT: So he's keeping approx €20k of the 70 eh? What a guy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fine Gael have tweeted that he is giving the severance pay to charity. Fair play to him in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Alan Shatter will donate ‘around €50k’ in severance payments to Jack & Jill Foundation

http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-accepting-not-severance-payments-1478177-May2014/#comments

Damn.. that means he can't be criticised for accepting it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

EDIT: So he's keeping approx €20k of the 70 eh? What a guy!

The sum goes from €70k to about €50k after taxes. He's not keeping a cent of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 awful

He has accepted it - which is strange seeing as he voted to end the practice while in government. He is donating to a very worthwhile cause, however the 70k could also go towards the health service - something which is also a very worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

awful wrote: »
    He has accepted it - which is strange seeing as he voted to end the practice while in government. He is donating to a very worthwhile cause, however the 70k could also go towards the health service - something which is also a very worthy cause.

Is this different from TDs using their expenses to help local communities in order to buy votes? Bottom line he accepted the severance payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

creedp wrote: »
    Is this different from TDs using their expenses to help local communities in order to buy votes? Bottom line he accepted the severance payment

Very, because its not local, rather obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

My tax money is being taken and given away to a charity, and people are applauding this as an act of "generosity"? The only generosity is the way politicians treat giving away taxpayers money as some sort of act of charity on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good old Shatter, being a **** to everyone to the last. Hes accepting, yet not accepting it. He wont help Fine Gael for tomorrow, but wont aim to hurt them either.

Its an unsatisfactory situation from everyones point of view, except of course Jack & Jill, who come to think of it would probably pay 50k to not have their name even remotely mentioned with this whole grimy business.

To all the naysayers - would you rather he not accept the severance pay and the sum gets swallowed up by the government budget, potentially being spent/wasted on something not as important?

€70k is a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things, government departments can easily blow this and more on something meaningless. It is a huge sum for a charity, press are saying largest single donation this year.

brimal wrote: »
    To all the naysayers - would you rather he not accept the severance pay and the sum gets swallowed up by the government budget, potentially being spent/wasted on something not as important?

€70k is a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things, government departments can easily blow this and more on something meaningless. It is a huge sum for a charity, press are saying largest single donation this year.

But its spread over several years is it not?

Also what guarantee have we that he will in fact donate it all after the current attention has died off?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its an unsatisfactory situation from everyones point of view, except of course Jack & Jill, who come to think of it would probably pay 50k to not have their name even remotely mentioned with this whole grimy business.
    Since the founder and CEO of Jack and Jill was standing beside Shatter as he made the announcement, we can reasonably assume they're happy to accept the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

brimal wrote: »
    I'd prefer if politicians didn't see taxpayers money as some sort of pool of money to be spent as they see fit. If they have no use for it, reduce the level of taxes.
    €70k is a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things, government departments can easily blow this and more on something meaningless.
    Oh well that makes it ok then. I hate this attitude - people work hard for their money.
    It is a huge sum for a charity, press are saying largest single donation this year.
    Great for them. If I wanted to give them money I'd give it to them myself.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd prefer if politicians didn't see taxpayers money as some sort of pool of money to be spent as they see fit. If they have no use for it, reduce the level of taxes.

That's fine. The severance pay rule is abolished now, Shatter was the last person to avail of it. But that was not the choice Shatter had to make. So I'll ask you again to answer my question please.
    Oh well that makes it ok then. I hate this attitude - people work hard for their money.

I mean in terms of government spending it is a small sum. I work hard for my money too and it would be a huge sum for me. Honestly I think you are just looking for something to be outraged about.
    Great for them. If I wanted to give them money I'd give it to them myself.

Again, I'll ask you to answer my question please, would you rather Shatter keep the money for himself, give it back to government or give to charity? That was the only choice.

Advertisement