Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Update No.21
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    13th February 2012
    Construction works on the Interchanges Scheme are progressing well and certainly remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013. A number of significant milestones will be reached and a number of changes to the traffic layout will be implemented during 2012.
     The bridge deck on the structure at the western side of Bandon Road Roundabout will be poured this week. The attached photograph shows final preparatory works getting underway for the concrete pour.
     Within the next few weeks traffic heading east from the Sarsfield Road Roundabout will be diverted onto the new traffic lanes currently under construction immediately adjacent to the boundary wall of St. Finbarr’s Hurling and Football Club.
     Similarly, over the next few months traffic heading west will be diverted onto the new roadway currently under construction on the southern side of the existing South Ring Road between Sarsfield Road Roundabout and Bandon Road Roundabout.
     The new roundabout layout at the Sarsfield Road which is currently under construction will also be brought into use over the coming months.
     With the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout layout in place piling works for the new bridge structure at Sarsfield Road will get underway during the summer months.
     Installation of a number of new surface water culverts to improve surface water drainage in the area will also get underway over the coming period. These works will necessitate night time/weekend lane restrictions and partial closures on the South Ring Road.
    Works will continue to be carried out with a view to minimising traffic disruption with significant night time working and weekend working planned for 2012. Details of proposed arrangements for all significant work items will continue to be circulated in advance of the works themselves.
    Motorists are again reminded that a 60 kph speed limit is in place throughout the works area. Motorists are also asked to take account of the new pedestrian crossing arrangements at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area and to ensure that the roadway remains clear at the pedestrian crossing points. The main pedestrian crossing points at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area will be temporarily relocated within the next few weeks and again details will be circulated in advance of these works.
    As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800-932046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses can do so by registering their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Thanks for the update.

But some photos would be appreciated. Come on, let's see the progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Skopzz wrote: »
    Thanks for the update.

The problem is that there are no vantage points from which to take informative pictures of the new Sarsfield layout and the new dual carriageway section that is south of the current mainline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Amtmann wrote: »
    The problem is that there are no vantage points from which to take informative pictures of the new Sarsfield layout and the new dual carriageway section that is south of the current mainline.
    Do you lads not have any traffic cameras? There might be a view from there, like for the M1 widening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

spacetweek wrote: »
    Do you lads not have any traffic cameras? There might be a view from there, like for the M1 widening.

To the best of my knowledge, there are none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Thanks for the update.

Found 2 photos on this site, not sure if you've seen them before. The website seems to be updated frequently with the progress reports.

http://www.corkipedia.ie/wiki/N25_Bandon/Sarsfield_Interchanges_Upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Given the Kinsale rd flyover opened 6 months ahead of schedule, what do folk reckon is the likelihood of this running all the way up until July 2013? The updates continually say that works "certainly remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013".

Here's hoping for a 2012 completion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

MrDerp wrote: »
    Given the Kinsale rd flyover opened 6 months ahead of schedule, what do folk reckon is the likelihood of this running all the way up until July 2013? The updates continually say that works "certainly remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013".

Based on current progress it could really be early 2013. But there could be unforeseen events like bad weather, etc.

Based on current progress it could really be early 2013. But there could be unforeseen events like bad weather, etc.

Would agree with that. Shaping up to be this time next year all going well. Lane restrictions haven't been put in place yet so having to set those up might slow progress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes but back then the NRA was paying contractors bonuses to finish early. They aren't doing that nowadays.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, Mod.

Can anyone else can post any new photos of the scheme so that we can see where things stand?

I realize there aren't many vantage points, but any pics would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

All taken earlier this week

Looking eastwards from Waterfall overpass
    [IMG]cid:16aa7d1f-58ee-11e1-afe4-001e0bcbb1f4:1/photo%25201.JPG[/IMG]

Same view from over central median
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14|0|8CEBB196E382B50||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MXxwaG90byAyLkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Close up of previous pic
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=4&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14|0|8CEBB196E382B50||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MnxwaG90byAzLkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Infilling within overpass structure
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=6&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14|0|8CEBB196E382B50||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=M3xwaG90byA0LkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Current height of structure at western side
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=8&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14|0|8CEBB196E382B50||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=NHxwaG90byA1LkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Third time lucky

Looking eastwards from Waterfall overpass
    [IMG]cid:16aa7d1f-58ee-11e1-afe4-001e0bcbb1f4:1/photo%25201.JPG[/IMG]

Same view from over central median
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14%7C0%7C8CEBB196E382B50%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MXxwaG90byAyLkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Close up of previous pic
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=4&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14%7C0%7C8CEBB196E382B50%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MnxwaG90byAzLkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Infilling within overpass structure
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=6&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14%7C0%7C8CEBB196E382B50%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=M3xwaG90byA0LkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

Current height of structure at western side
    GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=8&messageId=7f729210-58f5-11e1-8f86-00215ad9a386&Aux=14%7C0%7C8CEBB196E382B50%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=NHxwaG90byA1LkpQR3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

I couldn't open that link...

I'm sure someone is passing by this scheme tomorrow... Anyone got any photos please?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

I couldn't open that link...

I'm sure someone is passing by this scheme tomorrow... Anyone got any photos please?

Jesus Skopzz your like a broken record ;)... I will be passing out that way this evenin and if i can (safely) take a few pics i will.. The only noticable piece is the bandon flyover and the new roundabout layout is in progress.. From Car level i probably wont be able to get the best view with the pics.

Like someone said already there is no good point to take pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

From yesterday, from a phone so quality aint the best.
    As people have said, its difficult to get a view of the works from the road level.

http://imgur.com/WbSTB&3003I&8gK7F&OBRXL&kDkUB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

cork_south wrote: »

Hmmmm. Interesting pics...I especially liked this one....

1150334_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

cork_south wrote: »
    From yesterday, from a phone so quality aint the best.
    As people have said, its difficult to get a view of the works from the road level.

http://imgur.com/WbSTB&3003I&8gK7F&OBRXL&kDkUB

It looks like one of the abutments for the other bridge is up, so it probably won't be too long till the roundabout is entirely spanned.

That looks like they're still buttressing the overpass. They haven't moved on to the rest of the construction yet? Are they on schedule?

Latest Update:
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    20th February 2012
    A new pedestrian layout will be introduced on the southern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area on Tuesday 21st February 2012. Essentially pedestrians approaching the Sarsfield Road Roundabout from the south will now travel on the western side of the Sarsfield Road and cross the roundabout in that location as shown on the attached plan. The purpose of the new layout is to allow piling works to be completed in the area of the existing crossing of the South Ring Road immediately north of the Headlands Apartments. It is expected that these new pedestrian arrangements will be in place for a number of weeks.
    Motorists are again asked to take account of the pedestrian crossing arrangements as they travel through the site and to ensure that they do not block the pedestrian crossing points.
    Over the coming days it is also proposed to close a section of the innermost lane for eastbound traffic travelling between Bandon Road Roundabout and Sarsfield Road Roundabout. The two main lanes in this location will remain open and it is not expected that the partial lane closure will have any impact on traffic flow. The purpose of this lane closure is to facilitate works associated with completion of a new eastbound merge lane to what will ultimately be the realigned South Ring Road at this location.
    As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800-932046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses can do so by registering their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Advertisement

That looks like they're still buttressing the overpass. They haven't moved on to the rest of the construction yet? Are they on schedule?

They haven't started the rest of the construction yet. They are preping for new lanes near the Bandon Roundabout which would make space for the constructing the other side of the bridge. They appear to be on schedule.

Thanks neddynasty,

I read the progress reports you kindly attached above. Looks very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Is this an attempt to make it as difficult as possible for pedestrians? Why cant we go round the other side of the roundabout. They'll have us going full circle around it next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

phi3 wrote: »
    Is this an attempt to make it as difficult as possible for pedestrians?

Of course :rolleyes:

What other possible reason could they have?

Is this an attempt to make it as difficult as possible for pedestrians? Why cant we go round the other side of the roundabout. They'll have us going full circle around it next.

Its a 50:50 choice. If you were made go around the other way you would still be complaining that you cant go around this way.

What difference does it make. Its about the same distance anyway.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its a 50:50 choice. If you were made go around the other way you would still be complaining that you cant go around this way.

What difference does it make. Its about the same distance anyway.

Not at all. This way makes you end up crossing away from the shopping centre and then having to cross a few extra roads to get back to it. I suppose it's easier for the hospital this way maybe but for the shopping centre it is very annoying. But not a lot can be done about it. Anyone know what the plans are long term for pedestrians yet? When it's finished I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Not at all. This way makes you end up crossing away from the shopping centre and then having to cross a few extra roads to get back to it. I suppose it's easier for the hospital this way maybe but for the shopping centre it is very annoying. But not a lot can be done about it. Anyone know what the plans are long term for pedestrians yet? When it's finished I mean.

You're pretty much looking at the pedestrian plan, as it happens, except that it will be accessible from both sides of Sarsfield rd, south of the new roundabout layout. Either way, you will cross two at-grade pedestrian crossings to get to the middle of the new roundabout, via a small island. From here, you will cross a third pedestrian crossing at the North East of the roundabout to get to the East side of Sarsfield rd, north of the new roundabout. You'll then have to walk up the hill and cross at the (road) entrance to Wilton Shopping Centre.

Presumably this will add 3-4 minutes over the old route via the footbridge. A real pain in the arse for cyclists too, who now have to navigate the roundabout or get off their bikes.

I'm afraid pedestrian's came last on this one. A tunnel would be difficult to drain here, and an overbridge would need to be so far down the link as to make it impractical (on account of the elevated flyover).

Presumably this will add 3-4 minutes over the old route via the footbridge. A real pain in the arse for cyclists too, who now have to navigate the roundabout or get off their bikes.

I'm afraid pedestrian's came last on this one. A tunnel would be difficult to drain here, and an overbridge would need to be so far down the link as to make it impractical (on account of the elevated flyover).

You're great at showing the pitfalls of the plan. Maybe you could come up with a viable alternative?
    And you are dam right pedestrians came last. Why shouldnt they considering the amount of vehicular traffic that uses the junction versus the amount of pedestrian traffic. God forbid you have to walk an extra 5 minutes. Most mornings i could be 15-20mins on the South Link trying to get through just ONE of these roundabouts. Its a short term inconvenience for a long term gain.

GET OVER IT!!!

Have to say, I'm with Hogzy here. Bit too much drama being made over what is really a minor - and temporary - inconvenience.

Please - please - some pictures!

• Advertisement

I think pedestrians and cyclists are entitled to voice their opinion too in fairness.

Advertisement