Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My dad got up at 4am after hearing noises and thinking someone was stealing his ladders outside.. Turns out it was just dude digging in the sink and knocking the basin around :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Myself and my OH worked all day so Sylbs was left alone since last night except for the quick check this morning.
    Went in to him after work and he'd eaten all his food and pee'd in the litter box. Delighted!
    He's in the corner between the bad and the wall but happily took chicken from my hands and ate it. Still no tension/growling/hissing out of him, he seems reasonably settled all things considered.
    Cinnamon was sitting at the window looking for him this morning though.. she's in for a surprise when she finds out what's going on :P

We got new dog treats in at work, I was all excited to see the new stock cause there were new toys, but the treats include lambs ears, chicken feet and cow hooves. I guess it's good that no part of the animals are going to waste, but I was super icked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Found a tooth this morning in Lucy's bed! We'll have to start freezing all her little chew things eg her nylabone "car keys" as we call them lol! I was complimented on her muscle tone yesterday - can't wait to go back to the vets for our free 6 month puppy check and ask if she's got "a slight frame with less muscle tone than a dog fed Hills-complete-diet" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix's 'do not feed me' tag arrived today, along with Poppys little red tag with a heart. Hopefully whoever's feeding him will stop now. Toby spent the night on our bed with me, I was on my husbands side, they always want my side of the bed for some reason. Felix wasn't happy when he found him there in the early hours. The flannel duvet cover was too snug for Toby to give up though:)

Poppys a bit of a head wrecker with trying to get out still. She's very nervous when we let her out, but we're always behind her watching her. She batters the flap to get out and races to the doors everytime one of us leaves a room. We're still having to keep the flap on vet mode so that means having to shut her in one room while we open the door to let whichever of the 3 chaps rattling the flap out:(

Oh think I might have to get sugar baby Lucy a rain coat lol - she got soaked this morning and went straight to her bed when we got home! I have a small coat somewhere in the house that would fit her - i know the second she gets too big for it it'll turn up!:pac:

So glad we bought Sylbs in, the weather last night was horrible!
    He's a bit on the skinny side, particularly around the tail area is a bit bony. He's been doing super well though, he doesn't like to explore his room a lot but he loves belly rubs and being scratched behind his ears... he turns into a real purr machine :D
    It's interesting to watch the way he plays with the bird-on-rope compared to the way Cinnamon (who has been an indoor cat most her life) does. Cinny will catch something and actually play with it... Sylbs catches something and puts a paw on it to hold it down then tries to pull it apart :eek:.
    We had to move him to the bathroom last night though as he had two accidents in the spare room on the bed, the second of which soaked into the mattress :eek:
    He's a bit of a cold though, his nose is a bit blocked and so this morning he let me clean it out with warm water and a cotton bud with no complaints. So because he can't smell his food he hasn't eaten breakfast today or dinner last night (eating all his meals up till then) but he did take a small bit of chicken today. I'll get a syringe in town to make sure he gets some fluids in to him.

Feline Plasma cell pododermatitis (Pillow Foot), is appartently what is going on with Poppy's paws. We had Felix in for his check up and Poppy had her 2nd vaccinations so we got our vet to take a look at her paws. I knew something was odd. She manages really well, is an acrobat when she plays, but when she lands on the ground she holds one of her paws for a second or 2.

So glad we bought Sylbs in, the weather last night was horrible!
    He's a bit on the skinny side, particularly around the tail area is a bit bony. He's been doing super well though, he doesn't like to explore his room a lot but he loves belly rubs and being scratched behind his ears... he turns into a real purr machine :D
    It's interesting to watch the way he plays with the bird-on-rope compared to the way Cinnamon (who has been an indoor cat most her life) does. Cinny will catch something and actually play with it... Sylbs catches something and puts a paw on it to hold it down then tries to pull it apart :eek:.
    We had to move him to the bathroom last night though as he had two accidents in the spare room on the bed, the second of which soaked into the mattress :eek:
    He's a bit of a cold though, his nose is a bit blocked and so this morning he let me clean it out with warm water and a cotton bud with no complaints. So because he can't smell his food he hasn't eaten breakfast today or dinner last night (eating all his meals up till then) but he did take a small bit of chicken today. I'll get a syringe in town to make sure he gets some fluids in to him.
    Maybe try some stinky stuff like fish. I've been hiding Felix's antibiotics and metacam in the brine from tuna or tinned red salmon. Usually they only get tinned fish once a week but getting his meds into him, this is the lesser of 2 evils. I've also heard people recommend heating the food slightly to increase the smell when it's lukewarm. I hope he's feeling better soon.

We very nearly lost Peach today... she was fast asleep inside my Dad's trailer, and he came back to the house to collect it without noticing the cat inside. Luckily she woke up and jumped out as he was driving out the driveway!! :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

I've never heard of Feline Plasma cell pododermatitis before! Poor Poppy, at least it doesn't sound like it's affecting her quality of life badly. Is there anything the vet can do for her?

Got some cat milk into him, first via syringe (syringes were only 10c in boots, thought that was great) and then I put it in a bowl and held it up to him and he went mad for it. I got him some tinned tuna, some mackeral and also some roast chicken baby food (few sites online recommended it). He's no real interest in the food, but i'll give him a few more hours before I worry too much about that. I have the hot water tank on so I can run how water in the bathroom shortly because I read that steam can help ease congestion. I sat with him for a while earlier but I don't want to stress him out too much with me sitting there so I'm checking him hourly and wiping his eyes/nose and clearing any of the dried snot away.
    Will make a vets appointment for friday if there's no improvement tomorrow, but I really hope he'll be feeling better by then.

Does anyone know a kind of average of how much water/fluid he should be taking in?

It's a very fancy sounding thing but it isn't really serious. They don't really know a lot about what causes it. If it gets bad she can have antibiotics but she's been a lot better since she's been with us getting plenty of food and tlc. Our vet said she treated a cat with it recently who had to have her paws bandaged as her paws were so sore:eek:. So we'll limit the amount of outdoor access she has anyway. Doubt she'll want out for long in this weather anyway.

I'm not sure how much fluids cats should have daily, I usually just mix some water in to the food for Jazzy as he's bad at drinking but the other 3 happily drink plenty of fresh water. At least your chap is indoors with his cold and warm and dry:)

When we were doing fluid therapy we were told 50ml/kg/day. Not sure if that's just intravenous therapy but I'd say it would give you an idea of how much he should be getting! :)

Oh dear God, Poppy will be the death of me. We had a power cut in our town, after the power came back she escaped out the back door and did a runner,*there's me in my pajamas and socks trying to coax her out from under a neighbours car:o, off she trots the full length of the back of the terrace with me calling her.

Felix, Jazzy and Toby came with me and Felix decided to start doing the howly whiney thing at Toby, which only made Poppy more edgy. I managed to get her to follow me up the front of the terrace and coaxed her in with a pouch of food. During all that the power went off again, briefly. So there's me in the dark 3 cats trotting along beside me, trying to find a black cat in the shadows with only the light from my mobile as a torch. My feet are frozen.

Oh, and just for good measure the battery in the cat flap has died at some point and we don't have a spare square 1 here to replace it, so she's going to be shut in her room tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Pumpkinseeds I think you deserve a very large glass of something after all that ;)

Layinghen wrote: »
    Pumpkinseeds I think you deserve a very large glass of something after all that ;)
    I do to, sadly all that's in the house at the moment is cola, have to get an emergency supply tomorrow:D She's on the arm of the sofa looking angelic now.

• Advertisement

Probably plotting her next adventure :D

Probably plotting her next adventure :D
    Oh she's just given it another try, Felix is all stressed out now and went for Toby so as I was letting Toby out the back, madam tried to make a break for it:rolleyes:

Think you need to have a serious chat with them. Tell them Mummy's had it, there's only cola in the house and everyone's going to bed...........I'm sure that will do it:D

Think you need to have a serious chat with them. Tell them Mummy's had it, there's only cola in the house and everyone's going to bed...........I'm sure that will do it:D

Oh we have that conversation several times a day here lately. They just don't care. It's just been really stressful for Felix having Toby move in over the Summer and then we brought Poppy in 5 weeks ago on Friday. He's not a happy kitty. I haven't been able to get the calming pills into him for the last few days as I'm hiding antibiotics and painkiller in his food.

He's used to being the centre of attention and to bullying Jazzy, so having Toby trying to take over our bed and Poppy being the little ball of chaos that she is, is stressing him out. Mommy needs a very large bottle of something. Shame they don't make a Feliway for humans:D

Yaaay Yaaay yaaaay! The hitch for the car (towbar with a hole instead if swan neck thing) arrived today, myself and my Dad put it on so Bailey was able to try out his new Otto Step. I LOVE it!! So much handier than the ramp and I can store in the boot with both dogs without losing any space! :D delighted!

• Advertisement

Toby and Poppy seem to want to be with me constantly these days. Wherever I go in the house they're both right behind me. Poor Felix still seems to be finding them overwhelming. He's doing a kind of whiney upset howling whenever Toby tries to walk past him. I was hoping it would all settle down but it seems worse with Poppys here.

Maybe it's just that I can't sneak the zylkene into him lately, either way it's exhausting. I feel like I've got 4 very demanding children. I'm hoping things will calm down when Poppy can use the flap. She's hammering away at it to get out since 2am. I was letting her have the run of the house at night since the chaps were settled but now she's waking me up on and off so she'll have to stay in her room for a few nights.

We're only letting her out to explore in the daytime until late evening but not after dark yet

Dude has a show Sunday. He got into the coal bunker this morning. His little white socks are jet black. Whyyyyyyy!!!

Quick update on Sylbs before I pop off to bed...
    Steam, baby food, cat milk, syringe feeding, cotton buds and tissues worked a treat and he was feeling much better by the next day (thursday).
    Today we left the bathroom door open for him so he could explore at his own pace and this evening he decided to join us in the lounge for family time in front of the fire. He stayed between the two chairs but enjoyed lots of pats and even some kisses from Poppy. Cinnamon is mostly ignoring him, she's not too fussed to talk to him but I'm sure we'll get there.
    So funny to think this is the cat that less that a week ago who was a terrified stray who was too scared to come near us unless there was a window between us.

288bn7d.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone know if I can go to a pharmacy and get eye ointment for a dog? She has an eye infection and I don't really want to pay 50 quid for a vet just to be told she has an eye infection..

edit: if not any vets in dublin that don't close at 1pm? won't make it to a vet by 12:30/1 I don't think and don't want to leave her all weekend

Anyone know if I can go to a pharmacy and get eye ointment for a dog? She has an eye infection and I don't really want to pay 50 quid for a vet just to be told she has an eye infection..

edit: if not any vets in dublin that don't close at 1pm? won't make it to a vet by 12:30/1 I don't think and don't want to leave her all weekend

You can give them Brolene or GoldenEye from the chemist for conjunctivitis.
    My vet is open all day btw - anicare.ie

En route to Dublin with the Dudester, so excited :D

Dropped into Pet Stop yesterday in my quest to get a coat for Lucy - the one that's lost in the house there hanging up to mock me lol! Then dropped in MaxiZoo on the way home - €89.99 for a small coat!! :eek:

tk123 wrote: »
    Dropped into Pet Stop yesterday in my quest to get a coat for Lucy - the one that's lost in the house there hanging up to mock me lol! Then dropped in MaxiZoo on the way home - €89.99 for a small coat!! :eek:

Is there a tkmax near you? I've often seen decent priced coats in there, even managed to get a jumper for Poppy for €3 once.

Is there a tkmax near you? I've often seen decent priced coats in there, even managed to get a jumper for Poppy for €3 once.

Oh thanks I'll take a look!

Just arrived at the hotel and Dude was having a ball! A few hours sleeping in the car has tired him out so he's now concked out in the bathroom :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can give them Brolene or GoldenEye from the chemist for conjunctivitis.
    My vet is open all day btw - anicare.ie

My local anicare isn't open in the afternoon today. Brought her elsewhere only to be told she has conjunctivitis. €72, ouch! :(

Good to know about brolene and goldeneye, someone else actually mentioned brolene as well.

Best of luck tomorrow Dude. All your fans are rooting for you:)

W00t found the missing coat and it still fits her! It'll will be easy enough to adjust to get a couple of months out of it! I'll still take a look in TK Maxx on Monday to see if they have anything nice :p

Dude is gonna spend the entire night in bed kneading me! No sleep for me but he's so cute it's worth it :D btw sorry for all the posts about the cat show, I'm just very excited :)

Aww, good luck to Dude!
    It's not cold enough for Cinnamon to join me in bed yet, bring on the winter bed hugs!

All settled in, judging is going on now, I'm so nervous!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

All settled in, judging is going on now, I'm so nervous!!

Best of luck Dude!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Good luck dude! X

He got 2nd in his class (male kitten), best rescue kitten, and 1st on friendliest cat/kitten so we have a few rosettes coming home :D he's taken great to this showing life :D

• Advertisement

Well done Dude, knew you would be a winner!

Bailey ate something in the park this morning and has been sick 3 times... Lucy has an exploding bum from daycare and has been up the last 3 nights between 2:00-3:00am! :( I forget what a night's sleep is lol!

Bailey ate something in the park this morning and has been sick 3 times... Lucy has an exploding bum from daycare and has been up the last 3 nights between 2:00-3:00am! :( I forget what a night's sleep is lol!

Hope they feel better soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This weather is doing my head in! EVERYTHING is damp: clothes, shoes, dog beds, rugs, doormats etc. I had to change clothes 3 times yesterday due to getting damp sand stuck to me, then got soaked in a shower, then got covered in mud splatter in the garden. It was one of those days where it didn't seem necessary to wear wet gear but I got caught anyway. :(:(

I hear ya! Wasn't raining when we went out this morning..5 mins later it started and we got soaked!! I have Bailey's old drying towel on the pup and a robe/drying towel on Bailey that doesn't cover his tummy...so another towel wraped around and stuck with velcro lol! lol! :p

Another week another vet trip, I noticed a pink tinge to Tobys' urine this morning so he's booked in at the vet this afternoon, I think he's got another urinary tract infection, he only got treated for the last one a few weeks ago.:( I've got to take Felix in on Wednesday for a check on his ear, that's not looking promising as he's shaking it as much as ever even though he's getting his antibiotics every day.

Honestly I should be getting a discount at this point, this is the 5th week in a row that I've been to the vets, at least once. Our trip to Dublin is looking less likely as well now with all the outgoings to the vet for the cats, but they're worth it and will always come first.

• Advertisement

So this has been happening for the last few hours... One day she'll get that ball :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Where did you get that toy? I think one of mine would love it!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Where did you get that toy? I think one of mine would love it!

Got it in Dunnes last christmas, only about 6 euro. Hope they've more this year, there were a few different toys I wanted to get but missed out.
    I've seen them in tkmaxx too but they were a bit more costly.

Found out recently that kildare village outlet place has dog kennels for up to four hours! Clever move by them.

Wow, think that is a great move by them. I wish more places had a doggie crèche, where you could pop them in and know they are being looked after for an hour or so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement