Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

ive some good silver and gold coins and silver medals which ive unearthed recently but im not allowed to post pics of links which is a bit o a bummer for those interested. what a silly rule

Is this just a general rant? maybe take it up with boards.ie admins as this is not a forum specific "rule" but across all boards forums. Probably something to do with a low post count. You just need to up your number of posts I believe but you should really contact the help desk or feedback forums for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

thanks for the reply, but no, i wasnt ranting, i just wanted to share some pics on this forum with those interested in coins and the like. i dont have time or interest to waste posting mundane posts to increase my post count.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

ive some good silver and gold coins and silver medals which ive unearthed recently but im not allowed to post pics of links which is a bit o a bummer for those interested. what a silly rule

You can't post links unless you have at least a 50 post count, it was to do with stopping spammers. However I'm not sure if you can upload photos, when posting see if you can see the 'Manage Attachments' tab. You may be able to upload photos there, then again I'm not sure as you may still need a 50 count for that too!

I'd like to see what you have there, if you want you can PM me and I'll give you my email so you can mail them to me and I'll post them here on your behalf. Or if you've already uploaded them somewhere I can just post the link for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

thanks blade, ill upload pics tomorrow
    among others ive a gold 1786 half guinea and some silvers from lizzie 1st in the 1500s to james the first, james the second, william of orange and some irish bank tokens. if nothing else theyre interesting to see. ive also some medals which ive cleaned up. one from a speaker in ucd and one for best sow at a market or something.
    i was also lucky enough to find a cannonball which is probably from the era of the siege of derry. i know there were skirmishes in the area at the time
    ill get some pics and forward them to u

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sliverdoller

I've came across a
    1986 1p coin
    1976 2p
    1959 and 1964 and 1963, 1966 large 5p
    1975 10p
    1966 2 x floirin 2s
    1994 range to 2000 £1 coins
    £20 1999 note
    £5 1999 note.
    Got quote over internet but would like to bring them to coin fair any around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I've came across a
    1986 1p coin
    1976 2p
    1959 and 1964 and 1963, 1966 large 5p
    1975 10p
    1966 2 x floirin 2s
    1994 range to 2000 £1 coins
    £20 1999 note
    £5 1999 note.
    Got quote over internet but would like to bring them to coin fair any around

Spring Stamp & Coin Fair
    Valuation Day for Stamps Coins & Banknotes
    Date: Sunday April 19, 2015
    Venue: Hall 6
    Opening Hours: 11am - 5pm
    Admission: €5 at the Door

Expect to get around face value for the notes and maybe the pound coins, but the rest aren't worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sliverdoller

Thanks ya researched it today seems to be a big interest in 1994 and 1996 £1 coin. Thanks a million

seems to be a big interest in 1994 and 1996 £1 coin.

Assuming you're talking about Irish ones, I think you might end up being a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

Pic Attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

spcw wrote: »
    Pic Attached.

it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pcof4

I have the following coins. Looking for advice if they are worth anything?

UK 1920 - Half crown
    1951 Australian Penny
    1964 IRE 2s 6d
    1949 Australian Penny
    1954 IRE 2s Florin
    1965 - Churchhill coin

& this token
    ENGLAND. LANCASHIRE. MANCHESTER. STELFOX, J. . Æ FARTHING. BWS 3570

pcof4 wrote: »
    I have the following coins. Looking for advice if they are worth anything?

UK 1920 - Half crown
    1951 Australian Penny
    1964 IRE 2s 6d
    1949 Australian Penny
    1954 IRE 2s Florin
    1965 - Churchhill coin

& this token
    ENGLAND. LANCASHIRE. MANCHESTER. STELFOX, J. . Æ FARTHING. BWS 3570

Churchill Crown selling €4 in markets. hold onto it - it's a nice big lump of a thing.!
    the 1920 half crown is worth scrap silver -unless it's in some extraordinary condition
    Wouldn't expect your other loose change is of much value. Have a look at adverts for coins or irishcoinage websites for indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Anyone tell me how Much I might expect to pay for
    a UNC 50 pence in 1982 and 1988.

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Anyone tell me how Much I might expect to pay for
    a UNC 50 pence in 1982 and 1988.

Is the 88 one the so called Dublin Millennium issue?

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Anyone tell me how Much I might expect to pay for a UNC 50 pence in 1982 and 1988.

The 1988's shouldn't be a problem to find cheap enough in UNC, but I think you'll be lucky to find a UNC 50p 1982 for sale and if you do expect to pay over 100 Euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chachacha1978

my grandad has 2 lady lavery notes 1 pound 1970 and 1971 are they worth much . thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

my grandad has 2 lady lavery notes 1 pound 1970 and 1971 are they worth much . thanks

Massively dependent on condition.

Heavily circulated, creased, etc notes are worth a bit more than you'd get at the central bank (1.27 each) - considering there's people selling them on ebay for under a fiver, that's about it.

Uncirculated, quite a bit more. Can't find recent sale values.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Me thinks someone is realllllly chancing they're arm here.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/collectibles-for-sale/rare-collectable-2000-2-euro-coin/10272426

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The DoneDeal Ad doesn't surprise me as the site is full of overpriced rubbish in every category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The DoneDeal Ad doesn't surprise me as the site is full of overpriced rubbish in every category.

Come on Del Monte you know its a steal at twice the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I'm going to assume the actual value of that coin is somewhere around €2? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DakarVert wrote: »
    I'm going to assume the actual value of that coin is somewhere around €2? :D

Thought I'd replied to this...

It'd be €2.00, give or take +/-0 cent, I'd think. :pac:

(its one of the more common years for that coin, as well as being a bog standard, poor condition coin).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chocchip1989

I have a £1 note 1989 and a lot of old coins which I would like to get valued. Anyone know of where I could get them valued without being ripped off.

The note is worth face value (1.27) or a tiny bit above unless its in extremely good condition. Actually, that applies to most Irish coins and notes...

I have a £1 note 1989 and a lot of old coins which I would like to get valued. Anyone know of where I could get them valued without being ripped off.

It would help greatly if you and other posters supplied your age when posting. "A lot of old coins" to a 20 year old might mean pre 2000 whereas a 65 year old might consider pre 1900 to be old.

Save your time and money and let the "EXPERTS" on here give you guidance. Let us know what you have specifically please.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

aprrox a tenner unless they are like they were when they first out of the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me value a £50 05/11/91 issue (ROI) Irish bank note and a £20 14/11/90 Irish note? Any help would be appreciated!

donaleire wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me value a £50 05/11/91 issue (ROI) Irish bank note and a £20 14/11/90 Irish note? Any help would be appreciated!

All depends on condition and the market. In fine condition the £50 might make 5 times face value in €s. The £20 a little less.

However, unless these notes are crisp and well preserved you're unlikely to get anything like these figures...

any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Hi,
    Looking for some information on the below two coins and possibly valuation. If anybody has any idea your input would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

acer911 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some information on the below two coins and possibly valuation. If anybody has any idea your input would be greatly appreciated.

Well they are late Roman bronzes, hard to tell from the photos but I think the second one is Valens. Not much value on them I'm afraid.

Advertisement