Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I suppose I was just wondering how much of what is actually said at pre-planning is taken into account at the actual planning permission decision stage.

well, the planner would be advising you of the parameters and guidelines they have to work within, so i think you can take it that, unless you can very strongly argue against a policy... that thats what they will be applying.

to be honest, 4 walled boxes arent what planners want to see submitted because they lack design and are ubiquitous. That being said, if the "4 walled box" falls within allowed parameters... they would be very slow to refuse a plan like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lavenderlady

Thanks for the reply, we will have a think over the weekend and see where we go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zzboardzz

zzboardzz wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking for any advice on my idea.

There is a wall which divides my property with my neighbours. It doesnt touch either property but splits our territory. I believe it may be called a party wall. Each of us has a side entrance / gate leading to our gardens. The fence wont affect this.

What the max height I can go to with a wooden fence? (Is it two meters?) I only plan to go approx 6 ft on the front but just wondering.

My garden / land is approx 2 foot higher than theirs, (theirs stepped down 2 foot) so can I measure 2 meters from my side of the wall as the max i.e. on my territory. Just for future ref to know.

Can I attach the fence to my side of the wall with bolts?

Do rules differ from the front garden party wall to the back piece of the party garden wall? In the back garden the wall is higher (approx 6 ft) and I may add a foot piece of wood to the top for privacy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

zzboardzz wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking for any advice on my idea.

There is a wall which divides my property with my neighbours. It doesnt touch either property but splits our territory. I believe it may be called a party wall. Each of us has a side entrance / gate leading to our gardens. The fence wont affect this.

What the max height I can go to with a wooden fence? (Is it two meters?) I only plan to go approx 6 ft on the front but just wondering.

My garden / land is approx 2 foot higher than theirs, (theirs stepped down 2 foot) so can I measure 2 meters from my side of the wall as the max i.e. on my territory. Just for future ref to know.

Can I attach the fence to my side of the wall with bolts?

Do rules differ from the front garden party wall to the back piece of the party garden wall? In the back garden the wall is higher (approx 6 ft) and I may add a foot piece of wood to the top for privacy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    The construction, erection, lowering, repair or replacement, other than within or bounding the curtilage of a house, of —

(a) any fence (not being a hoarding or sheet metal fence), or

(b) any wall of brick, stone, blocks with decorative finish, other concrete blocks or mass concrete.

1. The height of any new structure shall not exceed 1.2 metres or the height of the structure being replaced, whichever is the greater, and in any event shall not exceed 2 metres.

2. Every wall, other than a dry or natural stone wall, constructed or erected bounding a road shall be capped and the face of any wall of concrete or concrete blocks (other than blocks of a decorative finish) which will be visible from any road, path or public area, including a public open space, shall be rendered or plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Hi,

I lodged a planning application all of which was granted apart from a balcony at the back of the house.

The county council are looking for revised plans without balcony. Anyone any experience of dealing with issues like this.

Before I go back to discuss with them, I am wondering if anyone might know how much flexibility I might be given to change the design of the back of the house without having to reapply for planning.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I lodged a planning application all of which was granted apart from a balcony at the back of the house.

The county council are looking for revised plans without balcony. Anyone any experience of dealing with issues like this.

Before I go back to discuss with them, I am wondering if anyone might know how much flexibility I might be given to change the design of the back of the house without having to reapply for planning.

1. i assume the application is at "Further Information" stage?
    2. if so you dont need to "reapply"
    3. They generally will not discuss an open planning application during the duration of the application.
    4. Generally you will have to do what they are requesting, unless you can satisfy them as to how their concerns will be dealt with without the change, or alternative changes.

An architects statement covering the design changes due to the balcony removal would how I've delt with this in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missmoon99

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help. We are putting in an A3 planning application. I am from the area etc. and can prove all the basic requirements.

I am just wondering - there is a section on the form "Are there any other exceptional circumstances that would support your case for a dwelling at this rural location?"

Should we fill this in? What should we put here? Has anyone written one of these statements before and have any examples?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi,

Our architect has had a meeting with DLRCOCO planning and the issue of parking provision for our new build has come up:

"If separate driveway/parking areas are proposed, vehicles shall be shown to drive in and out of their respective driveway/parking area in a forward gear while the other car spaces within the said driveway/parking area are occupied. The Applicant shall show the above detailed layout drawing by using a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software such as Autoturn "

Does anyone have any experience with parking issues in their plans? Am i correct in saying that even if there is 1 car parked in our drive way, there needs to be room for a second car to drive in, turn around, and then drive out in 1st gear?! This seems a bit mad considering there are single car driveways all over Dublin, and even if they can fit two, you definitely can't do a u-turn! :( Am just afraid we're going to have to cut a huge chunk off our floor plan in order to accommodate 2 cars like this, which we don't have.

The other solution would that we share a carpark with the neighbouring house, but I imagine this will have repercussions if we need to sell in future.

Any info you might have regarding this issue would be much appreciated.

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    ..... DLRCOCO planning..."If separate driveway/parking areas are proposed, vehicles shall be shown to drive in and out of their respective driveway/parking area in a forward gear while the other car spaces within the said driveway/parking area are occupied. The Applicant shall show the above detailed layout drawing by using a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software such as Autoturn "
    is the site urban? is it very tight?
    typically a house provides 2 spaces with a 'hammerhead' turning circle or similar.
    Does anyone have any experience with parking issues in their plans?
    yes you'll find several professionals on here accustomed to such requests
    Am i correct in saying that even if there is 1 car parked in our drive way, there needs to be room for a second car to drive in, turn around, and then drive out in 1st gear?!
    typically yes, tough in an urban environment some allowances can be made depending on the local authorities engineer and the particulars of the road/area
    This seems a bit mad considering there are single car driveways all over Dublin, and even if they can fit two, you definitely can't do a u-turn!
    im afraid generalizing is not the way to deal with this - specific examples of neighboring situations may be an option but thread carefully.
    :( Am just afraid we're going to have to cut a huge chunk off our floor plan in order to accommodate 2 cars like this, which we don't have.
    show us the floor plan? (minus the architects details)
    The other solution would that we share a car park with the neighbouring house, but I imagine this will have repercussions if we need to sell in future.
    ? unless this is a development with shared car parking forget it
    Any info you might have regarding this issue would be much appreciated.
    let your architect discuss with the local authorities engineers department and submit options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Thanks Bryan for the info.

I suppose the site is technically urban - but our space is limited as we're trying to squeeze a house in on a plot where there already is a dormer bungalow. We don't have floor plans yet, but from our outline plans, we may need to step the house back a couple of meters in order to make enough room for this parking requirement, and this is just going to make things very tight as the site is very narrow and we can't make up the space elsewhere!

A suggestion of an 'in and out' driveway was suggested to the planners which they were open to, but I guess this would have the same repercussions as a shared driveway.

There is also a shared path/cycle lane outside the house, so I guess this may be part of the reason they don't want reversing traffic to and from the property.

Is this type of planning requirement always handled by an engineer? Never an architect?

Thanks

You misinterpret my answer above . YOUR architect will be no doubt make a pre-planning submission, as part of this s/he will address this issue with local authority Road engineers and request written feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miseannmarie

Has anyone been successful in getting planning in a3 zone but not having been from the area?
    An auctioneer told me today that a teacher or a guard can overturn the a3 planning rules (living locally etc)?!
    Anybody have experience of this??

BryanF wrote: »
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/260558658.pdf

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Planning/Forms/Forms%20-%20PDF%20Versions/Supplementary%20Application%20Form

More than 7 years residing in the direct area, working in the direct area, family in the direct area, housing need, family farm etc etc May still not be enough in the cork county green belts: it's called planning & sustainable development. If you/family are not in an A3, then it's a long possibly pointless road

May I was to ask how many cars you need if you built on your site? And where the nearest shop,pub,school, your place of work will be? Does much public transport services pass the gate?

get a goggle map and mark the proposed house location on it And send it into the relevant local planner and ask to speak to them. They will suggest meeting at a planning clinic. Ensure you get pre-planning meeting number and take you own detailed notes. They will NOT give you a yes or no answer, however if you bring an architect or planning consultant they may read between the lines or argue your case, BUT when all is said & done the planners will only formally comment on a formal planning submission which takes approx 3 months & 2/5k in professional fees.

Best of luck
    Paul,
    Its all about the zoning. and unfortunately more than 7years living/working locally is required with a valid reason for your building location. the planners are really trying to keep rural Cork rural.. ive had clients that have tried unsuccessfully to build on certain sites they bought on a whim without properly checking their local needs status or other potential development issues, that would have been easily spotted had they taken professional advice early on..
    when dealing with auctioneers you need to be clear that you require a plot of land that does not have any zoning restrictions regarding 'local need' etc.. and also request that any purchase arrangement is only completed following receipt of planning permission.

best of luck
    Has anyone been successful in getting planning in a3 zone but not having been from the area?
    An auctioneer told me today that a teacher or a guard can overturn the a3 planning rules (living locally etc)?!
    Anybody have experience of this??
    in the last month you asked similar questions several times, did you review the development plan?
    why not get 1 or more opinions from local architects and discuss the site with the local planner.

is you or your partners employment directly linked to the specific area?
    have you lived in the direct vicinity in the A3 rural housing control zone for more than 7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miseannmarie

Yes I did review the development plan but cannot get any concrete material from it.

Also I have spoke to numerous architects and have received different answers. Also contact local planning consultant who went to seek advise but now will not answer my calls.

My work is linked to the local area (bout 9 miles) in a teacher
    My partner has lived within 8 mikes since he was born
    Sure is in between my work and partners home

Yes I did review the development plan but cannot get any concrete material from it.

Also I have spoke to numerous architects and have received different answers. Also contact local planning consultant who went to seek advise but now will not answer my calls.

My work is linked to the local area (bout 9 miles) in a teacher
    My partner has lived within 8 mikes since he was born
    Sure is in between my work and partners home
    tbh & imho - i doubt you will get planning.

of this type of planning you rarely see anything other than farmers get approved in an A3 zone. i recently had a client that was refused and his home place was only a few 100m down the road - the site was in A3 but parents was in A2..

if your keen bring one of the architects to a pre-planning meeting with local planner.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Hi just looking for advice

There is a site I'm interested in next door to my girlfriends parents house. It's going very cheap as it's been refused planning before for someone else!!
    Here are the reasons why:

1. Applicant had no local needs
    2. It's on a regional road and council did not want another entrance
    3. Ribbon development (only 4 houses so far in a row, last house is a farm yard) new entrance again was given
    4. House was too large for the area

Now we think we can get around a few conditions , My girlfriend grew up next door and still has everything addressed there.

Her parents will also allow us to use there entrance for our new build .

I thought it was 5 house max for ribbon in 250m road frontage and I'm sure we are under that.

We only want to build 2000 square foot house , last applicant was over 3000.

How does anyone here think we will fare on this site ??!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

jayroyal wrote: »
    Hi just looking for advice

There is a site I'm interested in next door to my girlfriends parents house. It's going very cheap as it's been refused planning before for someone else!!
    Here are the reasons why:

1. Applicant had no local needs
    2. It's on a regional road and council did not want another entrance
    3. Ribbon development (only 4 houses so far in a row, last house is a farm yard) new entrance again was given
    4. House was too large for the area

Now we think we can get around a few conditions , My girlfriend grew up next door and still has everything addressed there.

Her parents will also allow us to use there entrance for our new build .

I thought it was 5 house max for ribbon in 250m road frontage and I'm sure we are under that.

We only want to build 2000 square foot house , last applicant was over 3000.

How does anyone here think we will fare on this site ??!!!!

Arrange a meeting with the planners for a provisional discussion, go fully armed with all drawings and an open mind. I found the planners in Meath Co Co to be very reasonable so long as your not building an eyesore. In the chap we met very own words ''lots of mistakes were made in the past regards monstrosities''
    Stick to the Meath Rural development guide like a bible in all design aspects , don't go overboard on size and I think you should be okay under the local needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Arrange a meeting with the planners for a provisional discussion, go fully armed with all drawings and an open mind. I found the planners in Meath Co Co to be very reasonable so long as your not building an eyesore. In the chap we met very own words ''lots of mistakes were made in the past regards monstrosities''
    Stick to the Meath Rural development guide like a bible in all design aspects , don't go overboard on size and I think you should be okay under the local needs.

Did you build on a regional road ?!! I'm not keen on a big house so that should be not an issue, also have an open mind on the design of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 29bull

Does anyone have an idea when the Cork County Development Plan 2013 is likely to be ratified ? I know final submissions from the public were to be end by the end of October. I mean c'mon we're nearly in 2015. The site my husband and I are applying to seek planning on is currently classified as a scenic area but will not be once the 2013 Plan is in. We're wondering if we should hold back our planning until the new plan is in.

• Advertisement

29bull wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea when the Cork County Development Plan 2013 is likely to be ratified ? I know final submissions from the public were to be end by the end of October. I mean c'mon we're nearly in 2015. The site my husband and I are applying to seek planning on is currently classified as a scenic area but will not be once the 2013 Plan is in. We're wondering if we should hold back our planning until the new plan is in.
    no news on when exactly the new plan will Be out. A client of mine who's following This closely (for similar zoning reasons) expects it in the early new year.
    As to whether you should hold off on the submission, we would have to defer to your architect and if you want a second opinion Google 'Cork planning consultants' or PM me for local recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 29bull

no news on when exactly the new plan will Be out. A client of mine who's following This closely (for similar zoning reasons) expects it in the early new year.
    As to whether you should hold off on the submission, we would have to defer to your architect and if you want a second opinion Google 'Cork planning consultants' or PM me for local recommendation.

Thank you ! My husband studied architecture so he has done the plans and we have a planning rep (draftsman) who is advising us. like the rest of us he's unsure whether the new County Dev Plan will be ready to go in January or 6 months down the line. It's all so slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

jayroyal wrote: »
    Did you build on a regional road ?!! I'm not keen on a big house so that should be not an issue, also have an open mind on the design of the house.

Im on a B road, two miles out of town...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Hi,

Im thinking of building a granny flat on my parents site which already has a 4 bedroom house built on it in county kildare. I'm presuming I will require planning permission but im wondering do I have to pay the development contribution based on the floor area of the granny flat?

Thanks,

Sc024

SC024 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im thinking of building a granny flat on my parents site which already has a 4 bedroom house built on it in county kildare. I'm presuming I will require planning permission but im wondering do I have to pay the development contribution based on the floor area of the granny flat?

Thanks,

Sc024
    I think you should discuss with local arch & ask them to provisionally review with council

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lumie

Hi everyone,

We have recently bought a house located on a U shaped road. The house is located at the back corner of the road and is semi-detached with side access. At the back of the road is a U shaped lane and then other houses. Basically there's a lane between us and the neighbours at the back. It quite a large lane and use to be used for access to the local area but now one side is closed up.

The lane surrounds the house from the back garden and curves the front garden. I was wondering if it is possible to build gates into the lane from my front garden and use that as another access point. I know planning permission is need for new access to a public road. Does the lane count as a public road?

Any there any other issue I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Lumie wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We have recently bought a house located on a U shaped road. The house is located at the back corner of the road and is semi-detached with side access. At the back of the road is a U shaped lane and then other houses. Basically there's a lane between us and the neighbours at the back. It quite a large lane and use to be used for access to the local area but now one side is closed up.

The lane surrounds the house from the back garden and curves the front garden. I was wondering if it is possible to build gates into the lane from my front garden and use that as another access point. I know planning permission is need for new access to a public road. Does the lane count as a public road?

Any there any other issue I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)
    local arch tech can advise, the question is how far will the entrance be from the main road junction. And who owns the lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Anyone know if I need planning permission to build a wall at the end of my garden?

My garden backs onto a minor road. Does this matter?

Refer to class 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Refer to class 5

Not sure what this means?

Advertisement